Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 7: I'm a Capricorn, which means I'm too practical to believe in Zodiac Traits

Today I went on a fast, 17.1 mile long run to sweat out the stress and nerves of a 9-person interview yesterday.  My game face seriously started to droop during the last half-hour of interviews.

(FYI, I'm looking for a big-girl law or government job, while currently working for a professor at my law school).

5 laps around Lake Merritt = 17.1 miles, 2 hours 6 minutes, average pace of 7:26.

I took a picture of those stats on my Garmin running watch to show I ain't bluffin, and cutie-pie-panini showed me how to upload pics from his camera.  So here ya go

OK I LIED.  17.08, not 17.1

Now I have to figure out how to keep that pace up for a full 26.2. . . it definitely wasn't a treacherous pace, but at the 17 mile mark I was quite happy to be done.

It didn't help that I did the usual and overdressed by wearing a long shirt in sunshine since my apartment was so freezing.  You know what else didn't help? For the first time, my Garmin was causing major discomfort problems.

Do you see how bulky that thing is?

It felt like it was banging and bruising against my forearm and weighed 5 pounds.  Any solutions to the bulky Garmins, runners or solution-bearing non-runners? 

 Day 7: My Zodiac Sign and Does it Fit My Personality?



To set the scene, let me explain that I have no idea what my zodiac traits are, so I will have to do some research here.  This should tell you that I don't care about astrological silliness, I like SCIENCE AND HARD FACTS.  NO SPIN ZONE.
HARD FACT: I love slurpees

I'm a December 30th baby (yes, I get short-shrifted on gifts because of Christmas).  That means I'm a Capricorn, because we all agree that our signs didn't actually change during The Biggest Event To Hit Facebook Statuses Ever? yes?

The one thing I do know about Capricorn's, because I had a close high school Taurus friend who taught me such things, is that Capricorn's get along with Taurus's and Virgo's.  Fancy enough, my boyfriend is a Virgo, and that best friend was a Taurus, so it must be. . . science? fact?

In case you forgot, I get along with this here Virgo

CAPRICORN TRAITS

1) Practical and Prudent
  •  Well, I don't believe in horoscopes, evidence that I am practical and prudent.  I truly am a person that bases decisions, opinions, and beliefs on facts and science, rather than gut feelings or faith.  So yes, practical.
Working on a crossword: Practical!

2) Ambitious and Disciplined
  • This is very accurate of me during high school and college.  I have always been a disciplined student and am pretty disciplined about exercise (even though that is not something I have to force).   However, I'm very UN-disciplined about other things, like vacuuming or not procrastinating. 
At a Bar Swear-in ceremony.  You don't pass the Bar without discipline...

3) Patient and Careful
  •  erm....no.  Not patient at all.  Definitely on the extreme side of impatient.  I can practice patience in  certain calm situations, like a lazy Sunday enjoying a slow stroll.
  • Careful? I suppose.  I attempt to be as prepared as possible for anything, whether it be a presentation or camping.



we carefully camped in Big Sur. 

4) Humorous and Reserved
  • sure.  I need a good dose of daily humor.
  • I'm not a loud person, and the larger the group I am with and the less people I know, the more reserved I am.  This is not to say I am shy, because I enjoy meeting new people and don't feel uncomfortable chatting them up.
come on, this is pretty hilarious, no? I am so invested in getting the perfect shot that I put foil over my tooth
Lesbian hilarity.  Or just narcissism?

5) Pessimistic and Fatalistic
  • Not generally pessimistic, though I can be in certain situations.  I tend to feel very hopeful and excited about most aspects of my life.
  • WRONG.  most wrong of all.  I do not believe in fate and destiny, I believe all actions are free will and lead you to an end-point that may not have existed had a different choice been made.
Happy as a non-capricorn

6) Misery and Grudging
  • I'm not miserable.  Except when I have to practice my patience or am severely underslept. 
  • Perhaps grudging, as I am stubborn when I really believe something to be true and may be reluctant to give in. 
So any other Capricorns care to share if this fits their bill? Or if you know me personally, did I get myself wrong on any of these? Like maybe I'm actually not humorous at all?

Bring me that FRIDAY night!!!




7 comments:

  1. Hi!!!
    I loveeee Garmin pics too! after my marathon I couldn't wait to snap a pic of my time!
    the thing is bulky, but i love every piece of it! :)
    way to Rock out an awesome run!!
    no down you can hold it for a marathon! what is your goal time?
    I hope you have a great weekend!!
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That run is amazing, I want to be fast like you someday! Great job! I don't know much about Zodiac signs either. My garmin has never bothered me, although I thought it would when I first got it, because it is big, its my best friend on runs though. Hope your Friday night was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooo glad I came across your blog! We can relate on a lot of levels! I am in law school right now so I understand the hoopla of finding a job! 9 person hiring panel????? Wow! Good for you for making it through that!
    17 mile run?? That is amazing! I am not there yet. My colleagues and friends at school ask me how I fit my runs in and I tell them that if I did not run, I would be a very angry person, among other things LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang! You are one fast chic!!! I wish I was that fast so I could run with my husband.

    I like reading my horoscope although I don't believe in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the message! I am not sure if you saw my reply on my blog! It's always nice to find people I can relate to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. the pictures you post are so gosh darn DUMB...and I like it cause that's how I am..I'll ham it up like no other and laugh for hours at..myself...hahaha. I don't really look into the whole horoscopes thing :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Zodiac signs. You are so silly. Both Nick and I are scorpios and I think we are supposed to be moody and passionate and scary perhaps? Also, I think I've heard that two scorpios make a really bad couple. Not sure if I believe all that hogwash though.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!