Thursday, February 17, 2011

I Love Vaginas

Oh boy, we'll see what crowd I accidentally draw to this blog with that title...

This has been an exciting week of getting home at 9:00 p.m., shoving dinner in my mouth, and getting in bed by 10:00 p.m.  Going to bed right after eating is not my fave, but it had to happen and wasn't too sleep disrupting.

Eating Dinner....and yes I KNOW my pictures are not always relevant, I'm trying to entertain here!

Tuesday night I came home late because I decided to make some extra $ on the side by signing up to participate in focus research groups.  I attended a focus group on selling cars (surprise surprise, I was the ONLY girl out of 10-12 of us) from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. and received a cool $85 check.

In general, I don't love sharing my opinion -- I feel like I can be rather wishy-washy, saying whatever I think up on the spot, or what I think others expect me to say (why, I would make a GREAT politician!)  But for a paycheck, I will gladly pretend to be the most uber-opinionated car seller this world has ever known.
Oh hi there, can I sell you my car!?

Wednesday night I came home late because I went to a production of Vagina Monologues put on by my law school, with my Professor/boss playing the role of "The Woman who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy".

My Law School

Aside from being in utter awe at how ballsy and hilarious my professor/boss is, my primary thoughts were: this whole Vagina Monologue thing has really worked on de-stigmatizing discussion about lady bits.

The play is meant to shine a spotlight on these "hidden stories" of women all over the world who had never been asked before to talk about their vaginas (their feelings about it, stories both warming and indescribably horrific), and so spilled forth with chatter.

However, as far as my social and media circle extends, there seems to be NO shame at all anymore.  The play worked THAT FAST! (It began in 1996, and hit it big in 2001 -- 9 years is pretty fast considering many social issues linger for decades despite urges for change).  People talk about vag's all the  time.  Vajay-jay this, 'gina that, vajazzling those.

Georgie O'Keefe

So is the show past it's prime? or does the vagina discussion need to continue?

*NOTE: the show also highlights violence against women, which is a never-ending discussion and concern -- but I'm only addressing the vagina shame issue.

Running

Anyway, my vagina tagged along on another treadmill run with me this week, again to escape a rainy forecast that actually resulted in me staring out the gym window gazing longingly at the shiny sun.  (Why didn't I hop off and run outside? Because I was dressed and prepped for a steamy gym run - tank and short shorts.)

Workout: 1 hour 40 minutes alternating between 7.8 mph and 8.2 mph, for an average of 8.0 mph (7:30 mile pace).  Somewhere around 13.5 miles.  Treadmill on 1.0 incline as the norm.

I know there is some debate on this, but I'm of the opinion that treadmills are WAY harder than running outside.  When my Garmin tells me I'm running a 7:15 pace, it feels considerably easier than the same pace on a treadmill.
On the treadmill, I feel like this guy
Maybe it's because of the triple-stress of trying not to accidentally hit EMERGENCY STOP (which I always do, and get SO pissed about), trying not to fall off, trying not to get tangled in my long-ass headphone wires, etc.  It's tricky stuff.

Any news to share on your vagina? Or penis? Or both? DE-STIGMATIZE....

6 comments:

  1. This title totally sucked me in. "my vagina tagged along on another treadmill run" had me cracking up. I saw that play in college and it was a bit shocking but I thought it was great. Sadly I have no vagina news for you, although mine did join me on my run too yesterday. I think treadmills are so much easier, no wind, hills, ice, cars trying to hit you, uneven sidewalks, etc etc....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I was a Women's Studies major in college, you would think that I would have oodles of vagina information or would have actually seen the Vagina Monologues, but sadly neither is the case. With that being said, this comment is extremely pointless. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, what an interesting post. My school is also putting on a production of Vagina Monologues next week I think (I saw them selling tickets last week).
    Where are you in school right now?
    And, yes, my parents met at UCLA :) hehe
    Have a wonderful wknd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The title dazzled me, lol. The Georgie O'Keefe is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, I yell rape and oral all the time...so the word vagina is way too tame for this potty mouth. Never seen the play but I am interested. Love "v" talk. Anyways, I ONLY ran on treadmills till I did my first 5k and saw my time...I was like WTF? I was way faster in REAL LIFE!!! I guess the mental exhaustion plus incline made me think I was slower than I really am? Either way I'm a turtle compared to your time though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love reading through your old posts roserunner! In my line of work I see about 20 vaginas a day... obviously that happens when you deliver babies and work in an OBGYN office.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!