Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Workout on the Running Machine, and How it Almost made me Barf.

Ohhhh, runner's regret.

Today was forecasted to be very rainy and formidable.  Being the weather wimp that all Californians are, I pouted and decided not to run today.
It looked gloomy out, like this

Not like this.  Which would also be scary, in an Armageddon kind of way

Serves my wimpiness right! It hasn't rained at all today.  Brgggggghojhdss.

Yesterday was equally treacherous outside (50 degrees, too many threatening clouds and pieces of wind for my taste), so I did the UNHEARD of.

I ran on the treadmill.

No, you don't understand.  The last time I ran on a treadmill was when I was 14 and I was bored at my mom's gym, waiting for her aerobics class to end.
I PREFER TO BE OUTSIDE

But that's the cool thing about the blog world.  Other blogs and people inspire you.

I was inspired by a few amazing runner-bloggers (who I'm not even going to take the time to link to because they have 28743 billion readers, yes you Janae and Lizzy) who have gotten some incredible training runs and results by making these running machines force them to go fast.

So I thought I would oblige to the running machine, and demand it to make me go fast.

My first ever treadmill workout looked like this:

Mile 1:  7.5 mph (8:00 min mile)
Mile 2:  8.6 mph (6:59 min mile)
Mile 3:  7.6 mph (7:54 min mile)
Mile 4:  8.7 mph (6:54 min mile)
Mile 5:  7.7 mph (7:48 min mile)
Mile 6:  8.8 mph (6:49 min mile)
Mile 7:  7.8 mph (7:42 min mile)
Mile 8:  9.0 mph (6:40 min mile)

for a total of just over 8 miles in one hour.

This was NOT easy.  I don't think I've ever forced myself to run a mile in 6:40 in my life.

And I was bored to tears, staring at the Nealy's doing Down Home cooking since I didn't know how to change the channel.  Why is running outside so much less boring?

Since it was SUPPOSED to rain today, I tried to repeat that workout today.  I immediately was not rockin it, but thought I would feel better.  Then all of a sudden after about 25 minutes of running, I had to puke, IMMEDIATELY.

I felt like THIS
Instead of all cute like THIS

I ran upstairs to the bathrooms and stood over the toilet before willing myself to not throw-up.  then I splashed water on my face and stood in front of a fan and gradually felt better (but not good enough to try running again).

So, I don't know what happened.  My best guess is that one should never try to run a sub-7:00 minute mile within an hour after eating breakfast.  From now on, fast treadmill workouts only on an empty stomach.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome job! Those times are awesome! I am seriously so impressed. Sorry it made you sick though. I was totally anti - treadmill until this winter, and now I tolerate it. My first treadmill workout was recent too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's raining here today...and I am for sure a wimpy californian so I will not be running!! hehe! I had too many coronoas on v-day and barfed during my run yesterday (i only had 2..i'm a light weight!) :(
    I hope you have a great wednesday!
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was going to rain badly, but apparently today is just the beginning. It did shower where I am, but only for the morning. It's sunny now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your vomit story is making me wanna vomit...again. I hate the f*cking dreamill. But it's necessary when the weather is bad...I can't watch cooking shows while doing it though..makes me feel all kinds of eating disordered weird. Great times though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I like that the only part of this post that I can relate to is the watching a cooking show part. I must be the least athletic friend you have. And I'm damn proud of it!

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!