Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I Like Long Runs and I Cannot Lie

I promise to you I am not vain -- I'm your average girl who has 2039847 complaints about my appearance -- and so there is a reason, besides vanity, that I try and post a picture of myself in every single post.

Sup, it's me as usual

I have, oh, probably 50 blogs stacked up in my Google Reader subscription.  Sometimes -- especially if I am reading a newly added blog -- I read one paragraph of a post, then the next paragraph, and realize that despite the blog name, I have no idea whose blog I'm reading.

Is it that competitive college runner? Or that 38 year old lawyer?

Then I have to open up a new tab to see their blog live, scroll through and look for a picture, so I can remember what the heck I'm reading.

You're reading about ME, remember?
Can I get a holler down there in the comments if my trick worked and you now know who wrote this post even though you might not have remembered?

If I get no hollers, that means I have especially poor blog reading skills, and I will work on my memorization skills...

RUNNING

Monday, no running.  Today, 18 miles in the a.m. watching the sun rise and waking up somewhere around the 12 mile mark.

Why?

The same reason why I ran 22 miles on a treadmill on Saturday:

Because I like long runsI don't like short runs.

If anyone is wondering why I go on such long runs, it isn't because I'm following some training plan -- I wake up and run whatever I'm in the mood for (and of course have the time for), and that usually happens to be between 14 and 20 miles.

It's relaxing.  Training and sprinting are not relaxing.  I run because it feels nice, not because I am trying to reach a goal.

My goal (which happens to be to PR my May 1st marathon -- sub 3:30)  comes second to enjoying myself. 

Maybe one day it will be important to me to reach a certain marathon or half-marathon goal, but for now the marathon is just a sorta-nice way to gather with other runners, travel somewhere I've never been (Oregon!), and push myself a little. 

Running these 18 miles before the sun comes up is pretty scary for me, but once dawn peeks out I LOVE it -- such a beautiful, crisp, gentle time of day.

Question: what do you think -- Run at 6:00 a.m. in the darkness which means an early wake-up call and having it out of the way, OR run at 6:00 p.m. when it is light out which means less free time in the evening to eff around and play on blogs.

And while I've got you, another SERIOUS QUESTION: Super duper Green bananas, so green they are hard to peel -- OR sweet and sugary brown bananas?  Or plain jane yellow bananas?

I'm on this major kick where I'm craving my bananas to be as GREEN as humanly possible.

green green green green

Maybe this is a remnant from St. Patty's day...some leprachaun infiltrated my brain and made it want green things. 

11 comments:

  1. Holler, haha

    and I would vote for running in the AM, it sounds like you like it better...I like running in the PM though, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat 14 milers for breakfast...

    Kidding, I guzzle coffee and eat oatmeal until about 10am.

    Question: Do you cross train? What do you do besides running for exercise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine eating bananas that green. I'm not hardcore on my bananas, but even I have to have limits.

    And I vote for AM. I ran early today (not long, just 4.25), and it felt great. I usually take a break at work to run, but this morning I felt lighter and faster. Plus - all that stored energy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I just got the joke in the title of your post, Baby Got Back, haha

    you played soccer for a long time then! I really only played organized AYSO for 3 years, and was basically running all the other years, haha

    I was debating about even guessing a time that I think Page will get, but I figured why not? She is super fast, and I think she will beat her time goal of 3:21. If you think she'll get 3:16, not sure if we should bet to make it more interesting, haha Maybe the person furthest away from her time has to give a shoutout to the other person who guessed closer?

    Sometime I need to try being a morning runner, I guess I've never really tried it before. Maybe I'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally prefer early long rungs too. I love that you fit so many in!

    And I totally appreciate the pics when it comes to remembering whose blog I am reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously I know who writes this blog, so I don't need the pictures to remind me. But I do enjoy them since its been so long since I've last seen you! I'm afraid I would forget what you looked like if not for this blog. Sigh...

    I never put pictures of myself up because I hate every picture of myself, but I do enjoy the blog writers that do. There are so many blogs on my reader that I could not tell you a single thing about who writes them. I guess that's bad. As long as there's pretty pictures and entertaining writing though, I keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only eat bananas cooked or grilled or flambeed or baked. you get the idea. Green bananas!! Holy cow.

    Hm, I never really thought people would have trouble realizing who I am when they're reading via Reader. I sometimes put pics, but not always. It's hard to take a pic of yourself when you have a dslr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AM runs. Fo sho.

    And I love that you are obsessed with the long runs - you're crazy just like me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaa! Thanks for pointing out that my About page had nothing about me on it! I'm such a doofus!! Got it sorted now :-) Totally forgot to write anything when i set my blog up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. working out after work makes me cringe...so does running that far. I can't believe we are blog friends. you are way to fast and athletic for me..I'll eat with you though. What do you think about when you run?! BANANAS?

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!