Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Question party

Let's answer some Q's, since I get them so rarely that I pounce on the opportunity to pretend someone is interested in what I have to say when I get them.

1) Briana asked if I always drink red bull before I run, because it gives her the jitters.

Dearest Briana, it gives me the jitters too.  I never do caffeine -- as in, I won't even eat dark chocolate.  Or green tea.

I have this amazing blood stream that manages to keep caffeine flowing through my veins at midnight, EVEN if I drink it at 6:00 a.m.  I swear.

However, I do knock back some caffeine on race days.  I think you know why.  Let my spell it out for you:  I want to run with empty bowels.  Sorry everyone, blame Briana for the TMI, she's the one who asked.

The unpleasant side effect is that for the first 3 miles of the race, I'm all jittery and spaztic and as you might expect, rather fast  ( I went from 6:35's to 6:55's pretty quickly last race).

This is too good.  That dufus -- who I briefly talked to -- was just out for a jog.  But a series of like 5 of the race pictures are of him, with me hidden behind him.  Can't photographers figure out that he had no bib?  Mile 2.



Anyway, caffeine is the key, not necessarily red bull.  it's just what we had.  Gu chomps will do or any other caffeinated sugar, as will coffee.

2) Roserunner asked: how was the movie Source Code?

thanks for asking.  It was so freakin good.  I really enjoyed it, more than I thought I would.  Somewhere along the way from Bubble Boy to Brokeback Mountain, Jake Ggyylleennhhaall (yep, 2 of everything) learned how to be a fine actor.

hottie + hottie (Vera Farmiga)

3) Alyssa asked where my trophy was since I "won" 2nd place woman

I'll tell you what, I really have no idea because as soon as I finished and grabbed my post-race "It's-It" (best race swag ever!!), I ducked out of there for a shower and lazy brunch with friends.

Around mile 11, started having to swoop around 5k runners/walkers

I plan to contact the race directors eventually and ask them for my medal/trophy whatever it may be.

FYI, the 2nd place is kind of not as awesome as it sounds if I reveal that the 3rd place woman was over 12 minutes behind me.

Which is to say I could have taken a 10 minute nap in a port-o-pottie at mile 8 and still got 2nd place.  (1st place woman was 4 minutes ahead of me).

4) Pam asked if I do speed work (Pam! is secretive and has her link as aol.com)

This is a quality question that could probably earn it's own post.

Short answer: no, I don't do speed work.

However, I do occasionally run fast because I love the post-workout feel of a hard run where you really pushed it.

I very recently started running on the treadmill because of rainy days, and the stats on the machine brought out the number game part of me.

I started cranking it up to see how fast I could go, and would occasionally run 5-10 minutes at the 9.0 range (6:40 min mile).  That is the extent of my speed work.

I also do "sprints" once or twice a month with panini, but this is really pretty tame.  We run around our 3.5 mile lake, occasionally pointing to a street lamp 200 yards away or so and then pick up the pace until we get to it -- repeat 7-10 times.

I mentioned in my Oakland half recap that I stunned myself by running sub 7:00's, because I never trained with a pace even close to that (maybe 7:20's at best).  the 6:40 range just felt so comfortable with all the adrenaline and excitement.

5) Multiple people seemed to possibly be wondering: why are your leg's so Arnold-like?

to those who pointed out my manly legs (ok, you were much nicer and more complimentary than that) I must reveal that for whatever reason--ah, more precisely the specific reason of genetics-- my leg muscles have always, always been kind of ridiculous.

I have large calves.  I have large quads.  I have hated this my whole life, until I realized they play a big role in letting me run 20-milers multiple times a week while never getting a knee injury (KNOCK ON WOOOOOD!!).

My middle name is CALVES

So thank you for the compliments, but it's all the work of my dad who gave me these legs.

6) Sesa asked if my pink race shirt is from Target

Sesa, way to drag Target back into my blog!! Can I just be the Target girl? Will Target adopt me?

YES, the shirt is from Target.  The race was my first day wearing it (cause we all know I'm a fan of trying new things on race day...and that's not a joke.  I just can't help it).

I don't remember there being any problems with it, except that it wasn't as good a receptacle for blowing my snotty nose on as the cotton shirts I normally run in.

Sesa said she saw it at Target and was going to wait for it to go on sale...DON'T WAIT girl, it was only $10!! And it is quality material!

It came in "ow, my eyes!" pink, neon green, and I think a rich blue and plain white (for if you want others to clearly see where you blew your snotty nose).

As a last note I edited my race recap post to reflect that the Western Pacific race directors sent out a mass e-mail verifying that the last part of the course was longer because of last minute emergency course changes.  I finally feel vindicated in my whining. 

14 comments:

  1. I seriously love Target's active wear. It's rad, and cheap, and works great. Love it.

    Shirtless guy is kinda pretty. There are worse photo-bombers to have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Target for workout gear. I also abuse caffeine on race days in the form of a pre-race diet pepsi and Gu Roctane :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. People have told me that caffeine before racing will improve performance. So I did some research and read some articles that show mixed results.

    ...but I don't want to try it because caffeine makes me feel anxious and it's not worth it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have that same pink top from Target.

    I hate when doofuses ruin race pictures. I have lots of those.

    I don't think I'm properly utilizing caffeine for races. Thanks for motivating me to make a change :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for answering my question!! I'm actually not secretive! :) My e-mail is pamula2000@aol.com. I don't blog...but, I've been considering starting one. I'm a stay at home mommy of 3 and step-mom to 4. I think that all of you that blog are soo awesome and inspiring! I'm a better runner now...times are getting faster and it's attributed to all of the advice I pick up from you wonderful ladies! Thank you 4 taking the time!! :) I found you through SR!

    Have a great Tuesday lady!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you addresed the nose blowing during a race! I being kleenex on runs but they arne't cutting it so I was considering a hanky.

    I wondered if most 'real' runners use their shirts or sleeves for this purpose. I've been known to use my sleeve on back country road runs but I wasn't sure what I was going to do on race day.
    and if you were joking about the shirt nose blowing, so i am ...

    ~ H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha. Did you link to yourself? HILARIOUS. Jake is too fine for words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have "strong" legs too..and for ages, I hated them because it was almost impossible to find boots (I have tiny feet and it seems that the tinier the foot, the smaller the boot, even for the leg...) but now I really like them because they allow me to run, hike, cycle and feel powerful, healthy and good about myself!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the heads up on the shirt!

    After a Pilates class a few years ago, the instructor came up to me and told me she could shrink my "bulky" thighs. I laughed and never attended her class again. Honestly, sometimes I wish I had skinnier legs like my sisters, but the more I run the more I appreciate how muscular my lower limbs are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote for a ten minute port-a-potty nap break next race. Just because it sounds like a really good time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. craziest FAQ EVER hahahahahaha. BTW Target has great workout clothes! If we ever meet I'll let you shop with my discount...yeah, bff or what? anyways, don't judge if we ever do a race together and I do the 5k in the same time you do your half. we might even "finish" at the same time holding hands as we cross the line! PS> I have huge calfs too...AZN THANG

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are too funny :)
    That's crazy that you don't do ANY speed work, yet you still marathon so fast! :)

    P.s. Jake Gyllenhaallaksljdf;lajsf? = so yummy. Connor & I saw Source Code Monday & we really liked it, too!

    p.p.s. You look great in pink!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha!! I'm late to the party, but thanks for answering my question. TMI? Please, we all the know the effects of coffee and the REAL reason runners chug it down before a race. Anyways, I'm glad we all know a little more about your GI tract. Good luck tape-ringing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love Target's active wear clothing, it is inexpensive but high quality. I CANNOT bring myself to buy some of these exorbitantly expensive brands of women's running clothes (LuLu Lemon, Oiselle...)

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!