Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Send Off

I think I'm sick

I think I'm injured

I think Sunday is going to be a super-stellar awesome day!

V for Virginity!  Nah, it's for Vacation!

I'm so excited to get to Eugene, explore the city, and run.  I'm posting this potential "see-you-on-the-other-side" chat tonight (Wednesday) because I fly to Eugene Friday morning and haven't decided if I will bring a laptop or not, so this may be the last contact I have here before the ole Marathon.

I'll be busy tomorrow night (Thursday) packing and preparing the worlds best playlist

Actually, it will probably be a very average playlist.  All I know is half of Britney Spears' new album is making the cut.

Ima help y'all run a marathon y'all!


I think you can track runners from the Eugene website on race day, and I know my bib number...

but I'm afraid to share it.  I am so, so worried that I am going to get 10 miles in and then this injury-ish thing will rear it's head.

And then you will see that my splits suddenly come to a dead stop as I'm carried to first aid.

I don't want to go into it, injuries are so boring....

but basically the side of my knee (tendon?) started hurting Saturday when I was WALKING.  Sunday I forgot about it, and at mile 4 of an intended 10 mile run, my knee suddenly blared "HEY! STOP RUNNING!" so I did.

Been taking it easy since.  Walking seems to aggravate it more than running. 


I was prepared for this.  If you read my "About Me" page, written I think 3 months ago, I was clear that I ALWAYS get injured approximately 5-10 days before any marathon.  Regardless of whether my recent mileage was high or low.

I hoped this would be my chance at a marathon non-injured.  Although that may not be the case, I WILL HAVE A GOOD TIME, despite the lame-wad aka my left knee area.

THREE THINGS TO CHEER ME/YOU UP

1) I got a real, live, old-fashioned letter in the mail, just to say "Hi I'm the Best Friend in the Universe", from an astoundingly thoughtful woman, Brittani.

Brittani (left) and I in high school.  Sophomore year?

She hilariously remembered how much I love (ahem, don't love) Soy Joy Bars


Brittani is a professional baby catcher, AND mother of two kids who have enough energy to fuel a small city, AND a runner, AND she manages to get up at 5:00 a.m. every morning to hike!  If you are as fascinated by all that as I am, check out her daily documentations of her family and life.

2) Placing 1st in my age group for the Oakland Half gets me my very own free pair of Skecher Resistance Shoes! 

heck yes.  I love free stuff, no matter what.  But what are resistance shoes?  Are they the bubble shoes that the Kardashian's promote? If I hate them, we're looking at a giveaway for anyone that wears a woman's size 8...

(whoa, I just looked them up, they are $100.  Not bad, not bad!) 


3) Panini got an iphoneilove it.  iknow, im only 10 years behind everyone else.

Our very first iphone picture



RUNNING

Friday: 12 miles
Saturday: elliptical
Sunday: 4 miles
Monday: cry
Tuesday: mope
Wednesday: punch a wall

19 comments:

  1. Maybe your body is being sneaky and is secretly forcing a taper?

    I bet that you're going to rock Eugene because your knee will be better by then and you'll have gotten in a GREAT TAPER this week.

    Regardless, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the previous commenter! You will do great! And if you only have pain while walking, then just run your heart out this weekend and it will be sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby catcher? I need that when the kid gets out of the bath. It's so hard to catch up to that little naked butt scooting down the hall. :)

    I hope your knee thing is a phantom injury and you will ROCK your race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha! I love the horrible picture of sophomore year! Thanks! I am glad you enjoyed the coupon. Hopefully you dont put it to good use, but laugh everytime you see it

    ReplyDelete
  5. that coupon is EXACTLY how I ended up with soy joy bars. whatever happens, don't give in to the beauty of a coupon and buy them - you will regret it.... Good luck at Eugene!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck for the race! I agree that it's your body forcing you to taper!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stalked your entire blog & loved it! You're hilarious & a running super star. Can I ask you a question about your running? You run in the mornings, so my question is - do you eat or drink before you run? If not, do you get dehydrated? if so, do you wait after you eat/drink before you run? I'm loathe to add extra time to my morning (read; get up earlier), but the morning runs are painful without fuel.

    PS - great luck at Eugene. You're going to rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your knee pain is not IT band syndrome:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/kneepainandinjuries/a/IT_Band_Pain.htm

    The way you describe it, it sounds just like IT band problems. Have you been foam rolling and stretching it? That is the main thing that seems to help I think. I've been battling it recently, it is not a fun injury to battle.

    I hope your pain doesn't flare up during your marathon, good luck!

    And awesome that Panini got a iphone! He will love it, I have a 3GS (got it August 2009 and I couldn't live without an iphone now, haha).

    And thanks for answering my question about when you started running last week with an entire post about it, haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck at the race! Enjoy your vay-cay in Oregon! (On a side note, do you hate people who say vay-cay? Is that even how you're supposed to write it?) I can't wait to hear how it goes! I'm going to think good thoughts for you over the weekend, and hope that everything goes ok.

    The iPhone is addicting! I hate how mine is basically attached to my hip, but then again, I don't think I could live without it now...

    p.s. I happen to be a size 8 shoe in case things don't work out...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck at the race! I had the same pain flare up during my long run this weekend (outside right knee, hurts when I stop running). I hope it goes away because I have races the next 3 weekends! And I hope it doesn't give you another peep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GL @ Eugene!!!! Brit brit is going to get you to the finish girlie!

    I think your knee is just being a jerk to freak you out pre-run. You wil be fine. If not I am sure there will be a spectator or two with a little somethin for that pain. Kidding. Sending lots of healthy vibes your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. At least you're tapering! You're going to rock Eugene, I know it. Sub-3:20 is in your horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. here's to racing pain free!
    Good luck for your race!
    thank you for your really nice comment!
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck for your race!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck in Eugene!!! You will totally rock it! Britney helps me thru alot of runs! I still need to download her new album for my marathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you kick out the competition!! Your body will be fine come race day...then you can stuff yo face! And you win prizes at races? Maybe I can start running now...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm worried about you running with a hurt knee! I don't want you to make it any worse :/
    Listen to your body during the marathon, and make sure that you stop if you're in too much pain. OK?
    I'll be praying for you! You'll do awesome!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck on your race. The shoes will look great on you!!! :) Can't wait for the recap.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just take it easy, no pressure, you'll be great! And if shit does hit the fan, we'll still love you and think you're a bad ass no matter what!

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!