Friday, May 27, 2011

Check Out My Packages

Beautiful dialogue we got going, I appreciate all the input.  I even appreciate the infamous anonymous attitudes, which I know is a right of passage for any blogger to receive.  I feel like a legit blogger now :)

RUNNING

This has been an unusually tame running week for me.  I blame it partially on being sick, and partially on being an insomniac who got on average, 3 hours of sleep per night all week.   My tired self just couldn't make it to my closet to change into running clothes in the evenings.

Friday20.5 miles.  Felt fantastic (and not sick yet), wanted to throw in a long run knowing I would be in Vegas the rest of the weekend. 

Saturday: Vegas.  Some mild dancing, mixed with strutting back and forth from swimming pool deck-chair to swimming pool bar.

Sunday:  Recover from the sleeplessness of Vegas.  Watch Bridesmaids the movie, give it two thumbs up for not casting Natalie Portman ;)

Monday: 10.5 miles.   I intended to make this about 18, but was sicker than I realized and my heavy head made me cut it short.

Tuesday: Jillian Michaels "No More Trouble Zones" which --> nice, sore butt.  Why is having a sore butt so satisfying?  uh oh, that's what...HE said?

Wednesday: None. 

Thursday:  Treadmill PR!  Precisely 8.4 miles in one hour, as follows:

  • warm-up for for 2-3 minutes at 7.5 mph pace. 
  • Bump up the pace slowly until I'm at 8.3 mph at the 15 minute mark.
  • Bump up the pace by .1 every 5 minutes
Minute     MPH
15-20        8.3
20-25        8.4
25-30        8.5
35-40        8.6
40-45        8.7
45-50        8.8
55-60        8.9

1.0 incline until the 45th minute, then 0.5 incline.

I wish I had gotten more of these great speed workouts in over the past few weeks, as I'm running the See Jane Run half marathon Next Sunday, in Alameda. 

1st place in each division gets a sweet pair of Asics that I have my eye one...and I'd really like a new PR, which means sub 1:30.

As long as I'm mentally in the right frame of mind, I know that is doable.  Just gotta stay healthy.

Speaking of winning a pair of shoes for placing first in your division...Look what came in the Mail this week!

BUBBLE SHOES.  I won these for placing 1st in my division at the Oakland Half Marathon.

Skechers ProSpeed Running Shoes

Bubble time


These are marketed for running.  Helps build speed, endurance, burn calories, make you land midfoot.  Something like that, I only glanced at the description.

After trying them on -- they are like walking on pillow clouds -- I immediately knew I would not be running in them. 

Maybe lounging like a gangsta in them, but not running


I can see how they might be good for someone who is running solely for the purpose of calorie burn.  They feel like you are running in sand.  There is this weird resistance with each step you stride.

But for anyone running more than 3 miles, or training for a race, or doing speed work, wearing these seems like a decent way to get an injury.

Walking in them is surprisingly fun though.  They're really comfy!  I just don't know if they're worth growing my running shoe pile, if they're only for the occasional walk.  Oh, and they're also a little unsightly...maybe neonblonderunner wants to get all over this?

Another thing arrived at my door today:

MY FIRST CSA (COMMUNITY SUPPORTED AGRICULTURE) BOX!!



I got a gift certificate from my sis for Christmas/Birthday, and waited until it was closer to summer to endorse it.  Love summer fruits and vegetables...peaches, tomatoes, mmmm.

Here is what was in the box.

The whole lot

Close-up, clockwise from left: Bell Pepper, Rhubarb, Broccoli, lettuce, carrots, cilantro, grapefruit, strawberries

Clockwise from top right: corn, white radish, bock choy, cilantro, carrots

Best strawberries I have ever tasted. 



These make me want to jump on the "eat locally" bandwagon.   But in reality I will still be going to Trader Joe's most weeks.

Cutie-Pie-Panini made the recipe suggestion that came with the box, which utilized the corn, the cilantro, the grapefruit, and the bell pepper.  Freakin summer corn.  So good.

black bean, corn, and quinoia salad
 Now I think we all know why I'm not a food blogger.  That picture is...amateur at best

  • Is anyone running the Run Jane Run half next weekend?  Other races in the pipeline?
  • Anyone else suffer from insomnia and know how to make it go AWAY?

23 comments:

  1. I get boxes from the same csa. And I have strawberries in my fridge. I know what I'm snacking on tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ughh I've been having a hard time sleeping this week :(

    Nice run on the treadmill!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your insomnia--I never really have this problem so I can't help! Your slow week of running is still a crazy lot of miles, way to go!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an amazing treadmill run! You on one super fast woman! I'm trying to get faster and looking for new running techniques. Maybe I'll try out something similar to what you've posted! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 hours of sleep? Geeez... the night before last I only got 4, and couldn't function. I don't blame you for having a tame running week if it was like that for more than 1 day!

    Bummer about the shoes, that's good that you recognize that they're not good for running.. at least they're comfy!

    And what a great looking box of fruit, I had no idea you could get it delivered! Mmmm.. delicious looking salad too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suffer from insomnia. I think, that for me at least, its situational. Since Wednesday (when I didn't have to go back to my old super shitty job) I've been sleeping like a rockstar. My advice? A glass of wine with a melatonin followed by a bubblebath and a book. After your bath, go straight to bed (sans socks), have sex and passout. You might still get up at 3am (if youre me) but at least you got laid! Good luck - insomnia truely sucks :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you have to train your body to sleep when it needs to. When I lay down to sleep and it's just not happening, I FORCE myself to still lay there and try and I eventually doze off. The worst thing you can do when you can't fall asleep is get up, get on the computer, turn the tv on, etc...of course you'd stay up then! Eventually your body gets trained to slow down and get tired and fall asleep around the same time every night if you stick with it and make yourself not get distracted/stay up.

    Also waking up super early a few days always helps me guarantee that my body will be tired that evening and crash...thus a schedule and a plan! It's wonderful. Sleep is CRUCIAL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man. Sorry RR. My husband suffers from TERRIBLE insomnia. The only thing that he's really been able to do is just ride it out. It comes and goes in waves. You could try taking Valerian Root maybe? Didn't work for him, but I have a friend who SWORE by it. G/L!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your treadmill PR! and Good luck for your upcoming race!! Brand new Asics are a great incentive to move that hiney!! :)
    "YOU'LL DO IT!!"

    My husband takes a benadryl when he can't fall asleep. It works!! He sleeps like a baby!

    Rock n Roll San Diego next week!! "WOOHOO!!"

    "ENJOY YOUR LONG WEEKEND!!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, just wait until you see my shoes that I wore in a 5k this morning.

    Those suckers don't have anything on 'em!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those sketchers are the same neon green and blue as my Nike Frees, which I love :D I'm in need of a new pair though and possibly a new color combo, I'm kinda obsessed with all the Nike Free color schemes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I love the CSA box! I've never heard of it before but the produce looks so beautiful and tasty.


    Halfs are my fav distance too. The 10 miler was nice for not having that extra 5k at the end. I feel too slow in the shorter than half marathon distances. Endurance is more my thing.

    I can't wait to hear about your race next weekend. I lived in alameda for a few years and wish I had done the See Jane run half. I miss running on the trail there along the bay.

    The 2 blogs- the Chicago one was mainly created to document the drive from san Fran to Chicago in January of this year. My boyfriend accepted a job here in Chicago and we had to drive because we didn't want to fly my pup. It was the easiest way to share the photos with our friends and family. I don't update it much anymore. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. right off the bat, great blog! love your sense of humor, i think us cait's will get along quite nicely. huge congrats on kicking that treadmill's butt! few things better than a new PR and knowing u owned that beast. and good luck in your upcoming race!and I really hope you get over that sickness.

    on to your packages, i agree with you on the whole bubble shoe things. (don't get me started on the whole 'i've ditched the gym because i know have tone-up's' marketing campaign) cool to bum around in but i wouldn't trust running much in them. But who in the heck would pass up some free swag?!

    and yes, insomnia and all sleep troubles suck the big one. i'm yet another person cursed to suffer...it is the worst! i have yet to discover a cure so if u find one do let me know. glad i found your blog and keep on posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha those shoes look a like a blast to play and just walk around in, but awful for physical activity... I always wanted to invent shoes literally with springs on the bottom. On a more sorrowful note, I just put a pair of old Brooks in the trash and I'm quite upset... lol. What shoes do you usually run in? I'm loving Nikes right now, but can't get this damn new pair to break in.

    Those CSA boxes are great. I had one for a while, but I could add the fruits and vegetables I wanted, and then a ton of groceries like grass-fed meat and organic chicken! It was awesome. Except now I'm moving again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a great run in Alameda! Love the gangsta photo...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are a monster on the treadmill, can't believe you ran at 8.9 mph, haha There's only 1 guy at my gym who runs at 10 mph consistently, he is insane, haha

    Awesome on the shoes you got!

    You are running out of your mind right now, I'm going to go with a prediction of 1:29:37 for the half marathon, haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used Farm Fresh to You when I lived in Oakland. Great service -- I only ordered the small box bc I was feeding one person, but it was plenty! The portabello mushrooms were the best. I liked the fruit too, way better than the store. If it wasn't so dang expensive I'd still use it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to be fast enough one day to win shoes! One time I won a 15 dollar gift card to Moe's Burritos, but that's not nearly as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm new to your blog, and loving what I see. That CSA haul looks fantastic! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has difficulty photographing food. :)

    I'm super impressed with your treadmill PR!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will be at See Jane Run!!! Maybe we will get to meet there ;)

    I keep wanting to try the farm fresh to you but haven't yet, I just might have to now, that food looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So excited for your CSA box! All that produce looked mighty yummy. Hope you enjoy walking around on your bubble shoes while eating quinoa salad! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. insomnia is a bitch. I'm such a type a mofo that I can NOT sleep if things are on my mind...and I need the room to be DARK as well...like a cave. I suggest NO computer or tv for at least 30min to an hour before bed...mellow out to zone out!

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!