Monday, May 30, 2011

Read About Stuff I Ate and Did this Weekend

My weekend started on Saturday with a 20 mile run, followed by chowing down on Indian food at Viks Chaat in Berkeley with my youngest sister who just got home from college, and my friend Allison who has an adorable picture of us as 5 year-olds on her blog here.

Pictured below are 6 of the 8 or more things we ordered and shared.

(Pictures "borrowed" from Yelp.  You didn't actually think I could photograph this well, did you?)

Sev Puri  (Contender for my fave dish)

Samosas (SO. hearty)

Dahi Batata Puri (Contender #2)
Bhatura (the size of a bowling ball)

Masala Dosa (also enormous
Lamb Roti (the only thing I did not eat)

Aaaaand, a few other dishes.  All this split between four people.  I'd guess I ate 57% of all of it?  Allison, maybe you can vouch for me here.  63%?  Way more than the 25% I should have been allotted.

Then my weekend continued, on Sunday, with another big feast in Oakland's Chinatown, at one of those crazy restaurants where dead chickens are hanging from the window, which is apparantly appetizing to some people.

Cutie Pie Panini was craving Juk (or Jook), a chinese savory porridge dish, so we hunted some down here.

We wisely chose to copy-cat all the regulars we saw sitting around us by ordering the Chinese Donut to start with.

It's like a donut, without any sugar

Panini ordered his Juk, which I think quenched his craving.



I love claypots, so I ordered the tofu and vegetable claypot.  What I received was tofu soup, with fishballs and one piece of cabbage.  So I frowned a lot.

Then we walked it off in Cost Plus, dreamily imagining we owned a house full of Cost Plus furniture, attacking all the British candy, buying a stack of marshmallows and desperately trying to make up a reason for it (maybe I'll bring it to my older sisters' baby shower?), and playing like goofballs with all the nostalgia toys.

Amazing Marshmallow Kabob

Close-up.  They have sprinkles.  YUM.

Playing with Kaleidoscopes

more

more

cute guy

and more

Then Panini showed off his cooking skills by deciding to utilize the rhubarb that came in our CSA box.  He made a cobbler with rhubarb, cherries, and a peach.  It was off the hook.  Here is my ugly photography skills picture of it, mostly eaten.

I think we all know that delicious food is sometimes ugly

Monday was of course followed by more eating -- BBQ style at my parents home in Napa -- but since I didn't take any pictures, I won't bore you with a long story about it.  We ate well, played Dutch Blitz (an addictive card game), and giggled over The Bachelorette.

Bentley.  Is.  INCREDIBLE. 

Look at that weasel.  So crafty

I always go for the villains.  Life wouldn't be the same without them, SO entertaining.  I loved Michelle last season of the Bachelor as well.

Adored her clips, which usually involved fist-punch threats

If you don't watch the Bachelorette, watch it next week for his ingenious cruelty.  He plans to make the Bachelorette cry, while ensuring his hair looks good...gosh, I'm horrible for enjoying it so much.

RUNNING

Just to prove I have a duty to eat as much as I did this weekend:

Saturday: 20 miles, steady and fun
Sunday:  3.5 miles of intervals with Panini
Monday: 16.3 miles, slow and easy

Random Question Attack:  Do you like Villians? This Bentley character? Juk? Indian Food? Marshmallow Kabobs?

18 comments:

  1. I ate a Rhubarb dessert this weekend, it was delicious! Had no idea that I'd enjoy such an odd/ugly fruit/veggie? Don't even know what it is, but it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NIce mileage, as always. I've been trying to hit 40 mile weeks, so that meant 28.5 miles over the past 3 days... A lot for me without any recovery between lol.

    All that food looks great, although from the first meal, I don't know what a single thing is! I'd definitely try it all thought! And what is Dutch Bliss?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Bentley, hes so shady. We love him for that. And uh Indian food is probably our favorite. I like panins style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that marshmallow kabob, stat. Looks so good! Also, I love those pics of you guys in the kaleidoscope, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the perfect weekend recap - all the info without getting boring or tedious. I need to learn this skill. I LOVE Indian food - sounds fun! I bought giant marshmallows this weekend and everyone thought they were a joke but I ate so many and they brought me so much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I accidently turned on the bachelorette last night and couldnt stop watching thanks to crazy bentley! he's such a d-bag, but i kind of love it.

    agh, i might be hooked. damn you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indian and the Chinese food sounds like good eats for the weekend! I can think of something for you to do with the marshmallows--just send them to me! There you go!
    Seriously, that is exactly up my alley. I ate a peeps kebab on Easter like this.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love me some Indian food. There is usually so many vegan options on menus, it makes me very happy. Sorry about your fishballs though, I'm frowning for you.

    As for villains on reality TV, I can't help but think they are paid off and given a script.. or do I just have too much faith in the idea we are all good people at heart??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to Viks Chaat with a friend a few months ago (at the recommendation of a colleague) and remember not being very impressed with my food ... Maybe I should have ordered more than one meal like you did.

    East Indian food is my favorite cuisine -- I love palak paneer and the waxy cheese cubes that go in it! I even buy East Indian TV dinners, but they're not as good. However, the prepackaged East Indian meals at Trader Joe's are tasty.

    Chinese food is my least favorite, because it's too oily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely did not eat anywhere near 50% of that food. I think that was aaaalll me. Gosh that place was so good. I told Nick all about it when I got home and he got a little all "oh woe is me, I want some Indian food" but that's what he gets for not joining us!! And that's why I rubbed it in his face! Muahahaha I'm so evil. Oh wait, but you like evil people right? So we're good.

    So fun to see you! Can't wait for da baby shower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy, everything looks delicious... love samosas especially! And wow, that's a lot of runs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you ate and did fun stuff this weekend ;)

    I think we have opposite reality star tastes. I hate ANY cocky reality show contestant. I automatically want them to lose, and badly. Villains usually fall into that category.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice milage sister!! After 20 you deserve more than 57% of the meal :)

    Totally agree that every show has a villain. However, this time was so blatantly planned that to me it's lame. Ashley is lame for keeping the dude around. He now has to go over the top to act like a total skeeze to make it worth while! Next week should be interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome job on your runs!! "Ain't no thang right!?!" :)

    I've always wanted to go to an authentic Indian restaurant. I'd have to ask you to join us 'cuz it looks like you know what to order!! I love chicken curry. In Japan curry is very popular!! Oh, and I love Juk...I think in Japanese/Korean it's called congee!! YUM!! :)

    "Have a fantastic Wednesday!!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so wanting a marhsmallow kabob after that post. Who knew? Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow. I'm sooo crazy for good Indian food, and comfort Chinese food. You've had some really happy meals!
    I've never had Dahi Batata Puri before...but they looks like Nepalese momos...I wonder if they are the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. cost plus? is it like world market? Told me!!! Also I haven't watched the bachelor or bachelorrette in ages!!! I invest too much time in the real housewives franchise

    ReplyDelete
  18. Viks Chaat Corner, the fried Pakoras were really good with the tamarind based sauce, well, they better be since they are deep fried into oblivion. It is a little intense though, the whole experience, I ended up eating outside on the stairs.

    I never EVER watch The Bachelorette, but just so happened to stop on it for a few minutes and saw THIS GUY. I am for sure tuning in to the next episode. I would say he's a dumb ass for showing his true colors on national tv, but you know there is some equally as dumb chicks who would still date him, or at the least have sex with him... yuck.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!