Saturday, June 25, 2011

Summer Movies

This most amazing thing has happened since I graduated law school and finished prepping for the Bar exam (which is to say, since August of 2010).

I actually HAVE weekends.  Totally have them all to myself, to relax, socialize, eff around, and go see movies.

Saturday.  Wanna know what I was doing? Hanging out at the library FOR FUN, not for law school.  We picked up Yellowstone guidebooks.  And yes I know that dress is cute.

Hangin with my sister on Father's Day


The Gentleman and I recently noticed we have been seeing a LOT of movies lately.  We've been seeing one per week for the last 5 or 6 weeks.

There were times during law school when we would go at least 4 months without visiting a theater.  Our weekends were always shot -- pure study parties.  Mostly study, not much party.

Now that I'm on movie track, I'm going to share a few of my Summer movie observations.

#1: I think Blake Lively is hot $h!t.

I saw Green Lantern last week.  It was really no good, but I enjoyed myself nonetheless.  The bad guy was, to me, pretty terrifying.

My nightmares look like that

Besides being a bad movie that had a few cool things going on, I was reminded of something that I already had a hunch of thanks to magazines (specifically Esquire): Blake Lively has it going on.

Her face is BLINDING ME!!!!

I don't know what it is.  Feature-by-feature, she's just like every other Hollywood chic, with the blond hair and perfect teeth and aversion to eating.

But look at that face again:

Did I say face? LOOK at those boobs.  Delicious.
And all 7 feet tall of her

 cool dress

What I'm really sayin here is that of all the PYT's in hollywood, I currently envy her the most.

#2: I don't much enjoy Woody Allen style movies, But I like Classic Books. 

I saw Midnight in Paris this weekend (it was between this and Bad Teacher), which is a Woody Allen movie in limited release but getting great reviews.



It stars Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, and Maria Bello.  I enjoyed the film, but the number one takeaway for me was an utter fascination with Ernest Hemingway.

Can you believe I've never read a single work by Ernest Hemingway?  Half the jokes in the film went over my head because I don't know anything about him, except that he was my 6th grade teacher's idol.

Hemingway in the Movie


I have two books of his lined up to read, and I'm already making plans to go on a classic book obsession.  I'm a little alarmed that outside of high-school, I haven't read many classics. 

I always loved Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey), Catcher in the Rye (Salinger), anything by Charles Dickens (especially Great Expectations), Les Miserables (Victor Hugo), Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald) and Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte).

Shakespeare is a'ight. 

I disliked Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck), Beloved (Toni Morrison), and was never able to appreciate Kurt Vonnegut. 


What Classics am I missing out on??! I'd love to hear.  Nothing new, just classics.  I have to build my snobby dinner party conversation skills.  Just kidding, I never go to dinner parties.  So just my snobby blogging skills.

#3: the Woody Allen movie reminded me that I want to scour vintage stores to get dresses from the 1920's (and Mad Men constantly reminds me I want to get a cute dress from the 1950's-60's).

I stopped in a local vintage shop and couldn't help it.  I bought this adorable 1950's dress, which screams "go on a picnic with coca-cola and cigarettes and two kids you don't really care about."  Which is to say it screams Betty Draper.

So Cute.  I'll post a pic of me wearing it as soon as I do.

Close-up of the pattern.  Do you see the chickens!? horses?!


#4: Cameron Diaz Might be Cool.

A lot of actresses bother the crap out of me in film.  Examples: Natalie Portman, Jennifer Aniston (film poison), Renee Zellwegger, Scarlett Johanson.

But for every actress that kills a movie, there is an actress that I love.  And I'm totally shocked and surprised to find these words come out of my mouth, but lately I've really been enjoying Cameron Diaz.

I fell in love with her when I was 10 and first watched The Mask.  I thought I had never seen anyone more beautiful.

a 10 year old's idea of perfect

Then she kept making bad movies where she did butt-shaking dances and giggled a lot.

But now I'm totally cool with her.  Bad Teacher looks pretty entertaining, and largely due to her.  Anyone see it and enjoy it? Can I get an endorsement?

Bad Teacher



#5: Super 8 is the best movie of the summer.

so far.

Can Harry Potter Part: The End beat it?

RUNNING.

This has been a very heavy running week, even for me.  I'll post a recap of the week's miles after tomorrow's run, but I think it might be close to 80 miles. 

I'm very excited that tomorrow (Sunday) will be one of my very first experiences running with "friends" rather than with my ipod.  I'll share more about that later too.

Share your Summer movies and books?

20 comments:

  1. Geez thats a lot of miles! I just saw Cars 2... not bad. It actually had a pretty interesting plot and theres no way any could would understand it at all

    ReplyDelete
  2. 80 miles!?! That is a ton!

    You sound like me a while back when all I did for basically 2 years was study for the CPA exam, that exam sucked all of my time!

    and lol at Green Lantern - I saw that movie this past week, I thought the movie was terrible - bad dialogue, bad acting, and not a good story. Only redeeming quality of the movie for me (from a guy perspective) is Blake Lively! I think she is the hottest actress out there right now. And I also watch Gossip Girl - which is probably not something I should admit, haha And likely the girls have Ryan Reynolds to look at in Green Lantern.

    For classic books I love To Kill a Mockingbird! Lord of the Flies might be a little easy (read it in 8th grade I think).

    I still haven't seen Super 8, but I have heard great things about it. It's like a new Goonies I've heard!

    I also saw Thor, I just thought it was okay. I still need to see XMen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg having weekends back is heaven, isn't it? Its so...relaxing. I added Blake Lively to my girl crush list. I would so have a threesome with her and Ryan Renyolds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah. I am in the midst of bar prepping and the countdown to normal leisure hours is driving me insane! I will just keep taking study breaks to read your entries and remind myself that there is an end in sight and when it arrives I too will watch movies, wear cute dresses (instead of the same 2 pair of yoga pants over and over) and run 80 miles a week...er, no. Not that last one, that's all you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crime and Punishment is a must read, as well as Moby Dick by Melville. As I Lay Dying by Faulkner is great, but not the easiest read and I also recommend The Sun Also Rises for a Hemingway selection.

    Once you've read Jane Austen, then get Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and enjoy that. After that, read Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter and then thank me later :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recommend War and Peace! It's incredibly long, but if you enjoy deep character development and a great story that makes you think about life different, you will love it! My favorite book hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people HATE IT, but I absolutely LOVE Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I'm in grad school for English and did my graduate research focus paper on Huck Finn. The book makes me laugh out loud! Love me some satire. Mark Twain is The Man!

    If you liked Jane Eyre, you may like Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. It's another Gothic Chick Lit book that I had to read last semester. Very similar to JE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read The Paris Wife and realized I'd never read anything by Hemmingway. I'm not a bit classics fan but now feel like I should try and at least get one of his read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes!! just saw your comment on my blog! I hope I'm always this passionate about the law. Well criminal law/prosecution in particular! It's what I came to law school for. I'm interning at a District Attorney's Office in the DV unit and I love love it! Hopefully they'll pay me someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also think that Blake Lively is gorgeous, wish I were as cool as she is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see someone else said "To Kill A Mockingbird" Absolute must even if you've seen the movie.

    Other good ones: "A Separate Peace" and "Catch 22"

    I also like Faulkner, but lots of people don't b/c he does the "stream of conciousness" type writing.

    Oh, and 80 miles in a week is some crazy shit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha this post made me laugh because
    a) I am obsessed with Blake's boobs as well
    b) I just saw Super 8 and it was thebomb.com
    c) Jen Aniston = film poison. AMEN.

    I just saw Bad Teacher and it was funny. Definitely not a 10/10 but worth the watch if you want a little cheesy humour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you Blake Lively is beautiful...everything perfect on her...plus I have seen her doing interviews and she is NICE. Let's just hate her...no no I kid.

    Classic: WAR AND PEACE. first time I read it, I was 13...I would hide the book under my desk and read during class.

    and Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Wolfe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, thanks for saving me the troubleo of telling you the dress is cute :)

    I usually work on weekends, so no movies for me. The last one I saw was Insideous. And my nightmare looked like that picture too the night afterwards!

    Blake is okay. She's pretty, but I think she knows she pretty. So that's not cool to me. Haha!

    I had to read A Call To Arms by Hemingway in school, and it was so long, and kinda boring. I never looked for another one from him!

    I wish our vintage shops had stuff like that. The thrift shops here have acid washed jeans and coats that a serial killer might wear.......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw Bad Teacher this weekend

    B overall, but Cameron was hilarious and ruthless - best part of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 80 miles! That's awesome. I don't think I've ever even hit 45 in the throes of marathon training. I need to up my awesomeness quotient. :) And this post is hilarious. There is something strangely enthralling about Blake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for summer movies! So jealous of your movie schedule. I haven't had much time lately to go, but I love me a good (or sometimes bad) summer movie. I did see Midnight in Paris recently and was surprised at how entertained by it I was, even though a lot of the jokes did go over my head. (I haven't read many classics myself)

    I actually really want to see Bad Teacher, so I hope it's not a let-down. I just watched Cameron Diaz on Jimmy Fallon the other day and was surprised at how much I enjoyed her. I think she did go through a phase there of kind of crummy movies, but I still remember her from gems like The Mask and There's Something About Mary. Maybe she's bringing it back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some of these were already recommended-

    Of Mice and Men
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    Lord of the Flies
    1984
    Animal Farm
    A Handmaid's Tale
    Catch 22
    Brave New World

    I don't know why, but I really enjoy reading dystopian books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute dress! I love 50's fashion.

    Last week I read Raymond Carver's "What we talk about when we talk about love." It was sort of depressing - a cynical look at relationships. Plus it was heavily edited, and I learned that the original stories were more optimistic and/or thorough.

    Hope you're enjoying Yellowstone! I expect many pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. wait a second...you have weekends off? When do you start being that lawyer ala the dad in clueless where you stay up all night and work 8 days out of the week? Anyways I wanna see that woody allen movie so bad...he's so creepy but so talented!

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!