Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The White Stuff

Today, someone found my blog by searching "Leadbutt cake".  That one almost made my last post, but I guess the craving for leadbutt didn't hit that person until today.

FYI for those wondering how to find your search sources: on blogger, the administrative page lets you look at stats, including traffic sources.  One source of traffic is google search terms.  If your blogging platform doesn't let you see these stats, you can sign up for Google Analytics.

Let's all get on the same page about something absolutely mind blowing that ensued from my last post discussing search terms that led to my blog.

In that post, to illustrate the adorable internet-searcher who found my blog by typing "why do I love vaginas so much I'm 12", I posted the first picture that showed up when I google-image-searched "cute 12-year old".  

What picture was that? let's take a peek.

NOTICE: THEIR SHIRTS.
I, hopefully obviously, had not noticed their shirts when I posted this.  Two readers alerted me of the shirts and of the history behind these two girls.

and now, to cleanse myself of that horrifying duo, let's get some cute non-white supremacist kids up in here.






these diversity pictures remind me of UCLA and UC Hastings, my alma maters.  Everything with the school name on it -- website, alumni magazine, recruiting pamphlet -- always has a rainbow of people.  Utopia!

Back to those girls.  Here's the dish, and I'm guessing if I didn't know about this, most of you don't either.

Those blonde whiteys are a California duo, formed in 2003, called Prussian Blue.  They covered "white nationalist" songs. 

Now that these girls are 18, and have hopefully learned a little bit more about the world, I wonder if they are horrified by their past.

What a sick mess. I kind of wish I never found out about them?

Now that I've stumbled onto the topic of race, I'm going to tackle it:

race in the runner-blogging world.

I'm white.  A member of the identity-less race. 

By that I mean I don't identify with my race, I'm not lumped in with people "like me",  and I don't identify with any culture.

pure Irish and Polish by blood, culturally blank


I have the privilege of not thinking about my race, almost ever.   Except when I would attend the Reggae festival at UCLA, and stick out like a sore white thumb.

I can't be the only white girl who likes reggae, right?

Every now and then, despite--as I said above-- having the privilege of ignoring my white-ness, I will stop and notice it. 

I'll notice that more than half of my friends are white.  I'll notice that all the lawyers at my law firm are white except for one (asian).  I'll notice that WHY can't I dance like that black chic??

Ugh, such a white girl.  Eating her fro-yo.

Which brings me to: I have noticed that the many (most?) running blogs are authored by white chics.  And the occasional white dude. 

bless America for the few blogs I know of and read that are authored by Latinas or Asians or multi-racial runners.  If it wasn't for you (and the Kenyans), I would start to suspect running was a white supremacist sport.  Instead, I suspect that is assigned to croquet and polo. 

Anyway, what the heck is going on? Why don't I know of any black running bloggers?

Please share your thoughts, and share any blogs you know and enjoy that prove running (and blogging about it) is a passion shared by more than just white women. 

RUNNING

this morning was another 4 laps around the lake.

The last 2 or 3 times I've done this run it has been exactly 13.1 miles, due to a couple shortcuts I take when I'm worried about being late for work.  Otherwise, 4 laps is closer to 14 miles.

Today = a comfortable 13.1 miles in 1:43.

I think I will run long tomorrow (Thursday) too, maybe 17-18 miles, to stomp out some good miles before I'm surrounded by bears in Yellowstone and forced to take it easy.  The end.


p.s. did y'all know that Skinnyrunner and HungryRunnerGirl had a meet-up today in a fro-yo shop?

When I read this news, I jokingly commented on HRG's post that I'm pretty sure all of her readers just came.  And then I worried that this could offend her readers who all seem very pure and "Janae, I love you and you're so pretty and I have fat days too!" 

So I'm writing my joke here instead, since I think if you've handled my blog up to this point then you can handle a joke about what may be the biggest moment in running blogger history.  They're like the Brangelina of this circle of the internet.  SkungryRunner?

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about Prussian Blue around '04/'05.

    RE: "diverse" pictures. I put together a handbook each year with photos for the college students in my academic supports program. The program is rather diverse since the mission is to support students underrepresented in the sciences. When I put together the handbook, I consciously try to make it as diverse as possible. I won't use a picture of just Latinas or only Asian guys. It's usually a good rainbow coalition mix. This year, I didn't have a good group photo including a black student for the cover. My boss noticed this and commented that I needed more diversity. My group of friends in college/grad school could substitute for one of those covers, but I know that's not the case for a lot of people. Some of us just don't get out of our comfort zones.

    As for bloggers of color: I'm Chicana, hence the blog title, but running isn't my focus. I know Run, Eat, Repeat is Mexican, Hippie Runner is a Latina. A few Asian runners: LA Runner, A Case of the Runs, LA Easy Meals. All of us are in California, specifically LA. Maybe we're more diverse here or it can just be observation bias.

    I've been to one out-of-state race and it was MUCH less diverse than I've seen in LA. I'm thankful for LA's diversity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I also noticed that most running bloggers are white women. See: the upcoming list of speakers at the blogger's summit. Not exactly a diverse crowd.

    I don't know why men don't write as much. Or maybe the more prominent blogs are popular because the bloggers are deemed more attractive? I'll admit that I am more likely to stick around and read a blogger's work if I find him or her good-looking (and this is not limited to Caucasian writers).

    I've seen black runners in East Bay running events like the Oakland Running Festival, but I've yet to run across a running blog written by a black runner. There are a lack of minorities at races outside the Bay Area. I didn't even think other Filipinos ran as much as I did until I started running in Daly City and S.F. I've actually inspired a few people in my family and community to run, which makes me feel great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realized my last comment could be interpreted as criticism on the picks for the blogging summit.

    Just want to clarify that 1) yes, I do know that Run, Eat, Repeat is Mexican (and I enjoy her blog a lot, so if you haven't visited it yet, check it out),

    2) while I'm still not impressed by what we've learned about the summit so far, I'm not criticizing the event organizers for listing one minority (I don't know, maybe there is another?) on the panel.

    Rather, I think the list of speakers is somewhat reflective of what we see in the overall running blogging community, as well as running and races in general.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i nearly peed myself reading that last bit. I'll leave it at that.
    And heather (giraffy)- your half asian?? For reals? ha, didn't know that!

    I know a few asian runner blogs and a few europeans. But no black runners, tis strange. I think I might have just found my day job, in search of......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woman, you make me laugh.
    RE: diversity - there are a few blogs I follow authored by black women, but it's obviously a majority of 20/30 year old white women. Races here in (rural) Georgia are almost exclusively white, but I assume some of that would change in a more diverse place--say an hour or so South to Atlanta.
    Here's a black runner blogger, she lives near me and is awesome!
    http://lawgirlruns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there are plenty of non-white runners, but I think naval-gazing blogging is a white thing. At least the blogs I read (food/fitness/baby) are all authored by middle class white chicks.

    Although I could be self selecting a little bit since I won't read a blog written with bad grammar or misspellings, which is isolating me from reading blogs written by uneducated people or possibly ethnic writers who enjoy using "Z" in place of "s" and randomly capitalizing letters in words.

    Why do I feel like my comment should on the "Is This Racist" segment of Tosh.0?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did an all white race in my hometown and Eric was totally psyched to tell everyone he won in his race category. I can tell you more about his runs in my blog so you can read about some black male runs?? Also a lot of my runs are with my Colombian friend? I doubt I'll get Eric to write his own blog though....he doesn't read mine and will barely sign a birthday card....that's my contribution though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I've made the same observation, but primarily at races. The top top people are often African, but after that, it's a crapload of majority white people. Wish the mainstream of LDR was more diverse, but I suppose, like any sport, sometimes it just attracts certain ethnic groups more than others. I've noticed in So Cal, there are a ton of really fast hispanic guys.

    Fun fact: Pam of beloved SR blog is half korean and has lived in a billion dif countries and speaks like three languages!

    That said..I'm white...but I'm also Greek. So I have that identity even though it's a Caucasian one. Thank god too bc we have good food. hah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and uhh @ Kara...yeah I think that statement might be a little un-PC and wrong.

    Plus even if your assumption of bloggers of color = bad grammar were true (it is not), I'm white and have a grad school education and enjoy the hell out of using 'z's and random capitalization.
    Why not? It's mah blogz. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Margs: Haha good call on that other comment.

    Living in a very white community, I rarely see a whole lot of diversity going on. But I guess I've never really put much thought into it. Even when I was at UCLA its not like I really paid attention to, or found myself realizing that there was a whole lot more diversity. I guess I just don't focus on whether there is or isn't, and I don't really know if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

    Oh and I noticed those girls t-shirts on the last post, but I didn't really put any real thought into that either. Just sort of pondered it for a minute and then moved on. What does that say about me??

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always seem to write about things that I ponder in my head but never seem to actually write down, haha These kind of topics are why I love your blog - very thought provoking!

    I didn't totally notice the race of the blogs I follow, but I do notice that running blogs seem to be heavily authored by women. I just went through the blogs that follow me, and it came out to be 75% women, 25% men. I think this percentage breakdown is probably pretty close to the overall population of running blogs - what do you think the percentage of men vs women is?

    I still haven't came across a running blog that is someone like me - male from 26-33 age group or something. I've come across a couple blogs of a little bit older guys in the bay area, but no one just like me. It's weird, I seem to follow the entire Utah running bloggers community, haha And then I follow a lot of runners around the bay area. Then the rest of people I follow are spread out across the country.

    And this is something that I've always noticed but never talked about - watching the NCAA championships last week drove home the point that for whatever reason blacks dominated the sprint events (100, 200, 400). And kenyans or whites seemed to dominate races longer than this (800, 1500, 3000, 5000, 10000). No idea why this is. I also noticed this in my sisters high school track meet when she went to the regional and State Meet - she usually was the only white girl in the race - she did the 100 and 200.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to go check to see if all my followers were white...I think so
    and then I looked at the folks I follow..One is black Kera: http://runningmommy04.blogspot.com/

    me well I am white...I am almost blue even
    My Dad is Hungarian and my mom is Canadian.

    your last bit made me laugh....
    I am in SoCal and as you can see on the pic...I was not there...I would have increased the age average!!!! and lower the pretty factor number at the same time!!!

    and for the blondies who worship Adolf..well I knew you did not know...I said something because I thought you would want to know before someone gets offended..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love you and your blog and hope someday we will meet at some marathon somewhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm deep in thought and laughing at the same time.. the things you do, Rose.

    I'm a white chick, mediocre runner, live and run most of my races in the Northeast.. now my observation of diversity is in question...hmmm, I'll get back to you on that.

    As for the blondies with the Hitler smilies, many more crazy google searches should be popping up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. totally giggling at the end

    now heading off to see how people find my blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am indeed looking forward a ton to the Olympics! I've never been to the Olympics before, I am super pumped to be able to go. I've only been to London once last year, it was a great city to check out. Yea, going to the Olympics is probably my #1 wish in terms of sports wishes - right along with going to the World Cup (which I'm going to try to go to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil when tickets go on sale).

    Maybe guys just don't have the desire to put their thoughts out there as much? I think I saw somewhere that overall blogs are like 50/50 men/women. Though for some reason running blogs seem to be like 75/25 or 70/30 women/men, I would be curious as to the exact % people have noticed on this.

    And looks like their are male bay area bloggers around my age, Nick Cifuentes seems to be my same age exactly I would guess, haha I guess I didn't look hard enough to find one (he is a SF marathon ambassador)
    http://www.therunningfool.com/

    I would be curious to see you tackle the men vs women blogger question on your blog, you have a great way of tackling those issues!

    And I really appreciate your comment, honestly there are only a couple blogs that I'm always like eager to see what you post and read, and yours is up there - you always write something interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah I definitely changed my undies when I saw they had a meet up. It's like when Angel and Buffy had those few episodes where the series MERGED...wait...dork alert. Anyways, of course i realize a ton of bloggers are white. I honestly think some of them probably don't read my blog cause 1) i don't really run 2) I dont really eat healthy 3) I am not white. We tend to gravitate towards what is familiar and similar to ourselves. Hence I love you cause you are blunt. Anyways, I think "white people" blog cause they are the ones who exercise the most and have a ton of stay at home wives or teachers. Okay..totally controversial sentence there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had all these witty little comments that were totally driven out of my head when I saw mymarbelerye mention Angel and Buffy. I just relived those episodes all at once (When Angel was human and they could have awesome sex but then he had to make Buffy forget it ever happened?!) I could really digress into nerd crossovers (Dr. Who and Sherlock rumors!) but I'll, um, not.

    But yeah, I'm sure the blogger meetup was like that for the readers (but waaay less awesome than Buffy.) Haha.

    I totally think blogging falls under one of those "Stuff White People Like" things. Like hummus or hipsters. I also think it makes us feel awesome about ourselves to have people commenting and going "OMG! You're so funny/beautiful/fast!

    I've noticed that a lot of healthy living blogs are written by work from home/stay at home women who have lots of time on their hands to work out and write and promote their blog. Maybe this just tends to be middle-class white women?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not just black but do you know any Asian both South Asian or East Asian runners? Hispanic? Anything else? I think they are out there, but people don't care and aren't reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol! I have a blog and I am asian and I run, but I am not that great. Decent the middle of the pack kind of person.
    I was just trying to go online to find other asian bloggers (that is how I stumbled onto your page) who are runners. I found two. I have not tried that hard though.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!