Thursday, September 8, 2011

New News

OLD NEWS


1) There were  great tips from commenters about Eating While Running. 

Christie suggested eating dates, which I loved because it is a perfect excuse to buy one of the most delicious and expensive things.  A really melty soft one is dreamy. 

Which makes me think, I guess this method would involve some sort of packaging to prevent my running shorts from getting sticky from dates in my pocket.



One thing I won't be trying out is running with a hand-held.  Or the fanny-pack water belt things.  Not for me. 

2) Back to the Giant Race: 

I was notified that as a top-10-woman, I would be recieving a free pair of running shoes from Sketchers!

This is kind of the coolest thing to ever happen to anyone, ever ever:  I got to run a race for free, and in return, I got:
  • a $100 pair of running shoes; 
  • an awesome Nike dri-fit Giants race shirt; 
  • a Tim Lincecum bobblehead; 
  • a Refuel with Chocolate Milk tech running shirt; 
  • a Refuel with Chocolate Milk hat; 
  • 3 canvas bags; 
  • all sorts of post-race snacks and goodies.  




Sketchers Shoes won in another 1/2 marathon

BUT.  I have a feeling I will be receiving the same pair of Sketchers shoes I won for the the Oakland half in March (See Pics Above).  I don't exactly need a new pair yet.  I'll consider a giveaway...

3) Movie Review

I don't care if I have a reputation as being the harshest movie critic in the world, as it is probably accurate to say that I dislike more movies than I like (despite the fact that I love watching movies).

Over the weekend I watched "Take Me Home Tonight".  I tallied my votes, and the results show that I didn't really like it.

I don't think I laughed once (for comparison, I laugh about 17 times per 3 minute webisode of Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis).

However, I was slightly obsessed with the fact that the lead lady looks identical to Kristen Stewart, and I think the director thought he could trick a few stupid 12 year olds into thinking it was her.

I wasn't the only one who noticed this -- these comparisons popped up right away when I googled it

Girl from movie on left


NEW NEWS

1) I can't believe I never noticed this until this morning during a 14 mile run:

My ipod nano has access to the Radio!!

upper-right icon...just touch it and pick a channel

This is life-changing for me!

I download a lot of podcasts to listen to when I run, and one of my regulars is KLLC 97.3 Sarah & Vinnie morning radio show.  Problem is, listening to podcasts means I'm listening to last week's news.

Now I can listen to the real show! dude!

Of course, then I got pissed at all the commercials I had to suffer through.

It's still pretty amazing to know I don't have to worry when I have no time to upload new podcasts; I can just listen to the radio.


2) High School Reunion Next Summer

I recently caught wind of the fact that there is a Facebook Group for discussing/planning my high school's 10 year reunion which will take place next year.

I joined the group because well, it's my high school and I wanted to learn what was up.

Upon checking out the group Wall and perusing conversations that have been taking place since this past April, I was....how do I say this nicely... Horrified (alternate options: appalled, enraged, shocked, dismayed, disappointed) to learn that it was under serious consideration that our reunion would be a Joint Reunion with our town's rival high school.

Two things I should reveal.

First, my high school was not so small that a lone reunion would be lame.  My graduating class, I believe, had over 700 people.  Our rival high school had equally high numbers.

Second, somewhere along the path of this Facebook Group serving as a forum to share opinions and ideas about the planning of the reunion, the Group became an ugly word-war whereby the few people who expressed that they did not like the idea of a joint reunion were attacked for not being open-minded enough to want a party with 700 extra (mostly) strangers.

So this being said, the Group is not exactly a place where I can submit my opinion (which is that a joint reunion is ABSURD) without some idiot calling me anti-American-troops.

Seriously.  One dumbass suggested that those who want a non-joint reunion are selfish, and should be thinking of the troops.  What?

Back to ABSURD.  I would never go to a UCLA reunion that was merged with USC's.  Harvard would rather enroll Paris Hilton before agreeing to a reunion with Yale.  America's troop reunion won't be shared with Iraq's troop reunion (there, I made the troops relevant to this discussion.  Goodness that guy was an idiot. ugh.)

Still, to me this really is not about maintaining a rivalry: a reunion is about celebrating the very rare and amazing gathering of YOUR high school class.  Celebrating the memories and acknowledging the passage of time with those that you shared arguably your most important developmental years with in class every single day for four years! At soccer and track practice every single day for four years! Suffered through zero-period 7:00 a.m. classes with; ditched campus with; commiserated about teachers with; had crushes on; cried with when four of our fellow classmates died in the span of one year.

Junior Year.  This is just how I dressed for school one day.

This is MY high school.  These are the people I want to see again. 

My memory is fading enough that I'm concerned about having to figure out if the reason I don't recognize someone is because they look different, or because my brain cells have died, or because I didn't friggin go to school with them.

Now that you have suffered through my extremely valid and warranted rant (right?!), I really want to hear your thoughts.

Have you ever heard of a joint reunion with a rival high school? Have you been to your reunion?

Please try and help me sway my dear friend, who reads this blog and is in charge of most of the reunion organization, by commenting away.

And of course, if you think a joint reunion is awesome, then share those thoughts as well.  I may need you to convince me if I end up stuck at such a reunion next year.

(Brittani, consider this my 2 cents for you and the other organizers, since it is clear that not all opinions are welcome on the Group page).  


15 comments:

  1. ok first with the reunion thing
    dear friend I guess it is you Brittani: I am an old dinosaur and I have had my 10 yrs a long time ago..like 15 years and this summer another reunion...you guess it..25 yrs. It is a crazy idea to do a joint reunion. These events are for you guys to see the people YOU went to school with. My class was just a bit smaller than yours and I did not get to talk to all the people I wanted to talk to, I cannot imagine having to search to twice the amount of people..after 10 yrs you should recognize most but some you wont! trust me!
    So I vote for no joint reunion...does not matter if they are the rivals or not.

    Is that good enough to help?

    Congrats on winning all that cool stuff!! top 10 that is great, I am behind on the blog reading, I will get to the previous one after this..back to school that is my excuse.

    I agree for the actresses they do look a lot alike!
    Radio on the Ipod...that I would like to have...mine is the shuffle..no radio...maybe Santa can fix that for me this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I've never had dates before, is that weird? What are they like?

    2. You are the Skechers Queen, good grief!

    3. That other girl totally looks like Kristen Stewart and that's weird.

    4. It is even more weird that you would merge your high school reunion and I would be 100% against that idea as well.

    5. I just discovered radio on my iPod last week and it was life-changing as well! LOVE IT. Minus the commercials. But the commercials are bearable because it's the radio and not the same ol' same ol' on the iPod.

    6. I randomly dressed like that for school as well. NBD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My high school was so small we didn't even have a rival school. They recently did a reunion that was open to ALL years, because each graduating class has 20-30 people it in. The most well attended "reunions" are Christmas Eve in the one bar in town. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll deal with the dates first... I bite the pit out pre-run and then wrap in a small piece of plastic wrap. I tried little ziplocs but they were a pain to open while running. And the handheld issue... freakin HATE carrying anything when I run. Had an incident the 3rd of July (remember how hot it was that weekend?) up in Tilden Park. I got a handheld... I found one I actually kind of almost like... and it really has helped me. It's an Amphipod w/ neoprene sleeve.

    Reunion... Just had my 30th (yes, I am waaayyyy old) this summer. It was very interesting. I would NEVER want to do a reunion with a rival school or any other school EVER. Even if my spouse/boyfriend/whatever went to that school and it would be more "convenient". Stupid idea. Totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for confirming that I am not totally crazy! I thought that was Kristen Stewart the whole time! Ahh, a look alike?!

    oh and my high school reunion is next month. Its not joint, thank goodness. I am not sure why they would do that. Costs? don't think so. Ours charges $70 per person. thats just crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a little ridiculous to have a joint reunion. I wouldn't want to be around a bunch of people who I didn't know. It's probably uncomfortable enough--why throw in 700 people you never met in the first place?
    Also--you can buy date bars that are pre-wrapped--so your shorts pocket stays clean! I got the dress in the mail (and unnecessary but wonderful bar supply) thank you so much! Did you get the check as well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you actually compare 1 date vs 1 Cliff Chomp they are cheaper and not full of unnatural ingredients. SCORE! Let me know how they go on your run... I hope they work well for you:)

    The only joint reunions I have heard of is to combined 3 graduating classes (mostly because our town is so small and everyone was really close PLUS to share the costs which REALLY would bring down per person price) but a rival school??? wtf??

    ReplyDelete
  8. A joint reunion?? For reals?? Isn't the whole point of a reunion to get together with people from YOUR school? Ridiculous. Although I'm anti-reunion altogether. Mary and I were discussing whether or not we'd go to our 10-year next year, and it was a definite no. But we had a way smaller class, and I saw pictures on Facebook of the reunion for the class above us from this year and it look waaaay sad. So yeah. There's my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Congrats on the race swag, you speedy little devil!
    2. Is Teresa Palmer as annoying and ridiculous as Kristen Stewart? (i.e. does she mumble, always look nauseous and/or twitchy?)
    3. Joint reunion is dumb. I second Rose re: reunions in small town being seeing everyone at the one bar in town. Except for me it's the day before Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. our reunion was the same day as our rivals. NO ONE went to that reunion...like 12 people so they ended up crashing our reunion...I guess I didn't care cause I didn't like high school anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of a joint reunion, but then again my class president failed at ever planning the reunion he promised..

    And Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis is just about the best thing on the internet and it often serves as comic relief during study breaks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use a plastic baggy with dates - and I usually pit them beforehand and hack them up into quarters. They work really well. Trader Joes has one of the best prices for medjool dates.

    That so weird that the same sneakers are an award again. And useless.

    Ok, that merged HS reunion sounds crazy. 700 people in your class is big - that's a pretty big high school. And don't you love those idiots that will turn *any* debate into one about "patriotim"? Makes me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A joint reunion?!? Seriously? How did the planners come up with this? I guess I don't get it. "Hi there, it's been 10 years, and you are????" AWKWARD.

    Congrats on top 10! You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  14. okay, you made your point. I have lots of reasons that the reunion was planned this way, but it has been brought back to the table to possibly change it. I do think I am closing down the facebook page though. I also need to get ahold of the class president of Napa who is out of the country until february. I would hate to leave her out without warning or any way for her to plan her own...

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, Sarah & Vinnie for the WIN! Second, those Sketchers are...um...hot? Err...Well, at least you scored some sweet swag!

    And I'd have to agree, a joint reunion would be especially awkward!

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!