Tuesday, September 20, 2011

You Know What I Mean?

I hope this doesn't appear as though I'm bombarding you with chain mail.

The following is a partially adapted, partially revised list of things that I found Highly Relate-able (how is relateable not a word?).   These made me laugh and enjoy the truth of these thoughts that I didn't realize were true until I read them.

Truisms:
  • I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger
I used to lay on the "nap mats" in pre-school with one eye open, pretending to sleep.  Never fell asleep.  I wish I had a nap mat in my office.

I could totally lie in a tent all day

  • There is great need for a sarcasm font
  • How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?
Good enough for me

  • Google Maps really needs to start their directions on #5.  I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.
  • Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.
  • I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired. (See: the very first thought)
  • I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my thirty-page research paper that I swear I did not make any changes to.
  • I hate when I just miss a call by the last ring (Hello? Hello? **** it!), but when I immediately call back, it rings nine times and goes to voice mail.  What did you do after I didn't answer? Drop the phone and run away?
CUTE.  and kind of irrelevant.  Sorry.
  • I think the freezer deserves a light as well.
  • Sometimes, I'll watch a movie that I watched when I was younger and suddenly realize I had no idea what the heck was going on when I first saw it.  (And no idea how bad it was.)  
I used to watch "The Client" all the time when I was like 11 because I had such a major crush on Brad Renfro.  No idea what it was about.

  • How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?
Faking it

  • I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front.  Stay strong, brothers and sisters!
  • Shirts get dirty.  Underwear gets dirty.  Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
  • Do high school kids get dumber & dumber every year?
If you've read just one prior post of mine, you could probably guess that I hate this show.  I'm bitter like that.

  • As a driver I hate pedestrians, and as a pedestrian (or runner) I hate drivers, but no matter what the mode of transportation, I always hate bicyclists.
  • Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.
  • Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey -- but I'd bet my *** everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time!

Those thoughts are the highlight of this post, but I'll also share a brief running recap since I haven't in a while.

Tuesday:     none
Wednesday: 11
Thursday:  16
Friday:      3.5
Saturday: 19.8
Sunday:    17.7
Monday:   none
Tuesday:   17.3

I feel myself slowing down.  Ever since playing soccer two weekends ago I haven't felt that speed in my legs (except for Friday's 3.5 -- that run felt great). 

I need to force myself to get on a treadmill as soon as it isn't 100 degrees in my gym, where it is always 15 degrees hotter in there than it is outside, because that is the only way I really push it and gain speed.

As I feel I am in a slow funk, I'm planning on finding a half marathon in October to reinvigorate my desire to run the California International Marathon.  Sad but true: I won't especially want to run the marathon (time, money, and tapering) if I'm not feeling at least somewhere in the 3:10 arena.  Ideally, I wouldn't run it unless I was actually in the realm of earning a PR.  But I really don't smell a PR this time, so 3:10 range will do. 

Which of those thoughts rings especially true to you? Have you heard them before, and I'm just late to the chain-mail game?

Do you recommend any Bay Area half marathons in the next 6 weeks?  I have some great options that Aron has suggested, but I'd love to hear more advice.

17 comments:

  1. I started rolling all of my laundry up recently. It has saved me a lot of frustration. And then, when I jam it into a drawer, it comes out only mildly wrinkly. Unfortunately this method keeps me guessing if a sheet is flat or fitted.

    The whole bear thing- it was shot with an arrow. They aren't much concern to me since they are usually busy with berries or fish or mushrooms.

    Pretty sure you will come out of your funk in time for a nice PR race at CIM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find the marathon mojo. You can come do the Disney Wine and Dine half with me in 2 weeks? Or the Men's health Urbanathlon!

    And I agree with every one of those truisms... it would be even better if Google directions didn't continue to suck after Step 5...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could totally teach you how to fold a fitted sheet :) That is one chore I can actually do!

    Who doesn't hate cyclists?

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, i just got the email last night. FOlded sheet sucks. But i beat you, i watched THE CLIENT 12x for brad renfro. Where is now? thats what I want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those truisms...the first is my favorite! On CIM--why don't you see how you're feeling as it gets closer? If you're still not into it, why do it? Just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I re-read books that I read when I was younger... totally didn't get it the first time around! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you had numbered these, because there are so many I want to respond to. Here goes:

    -Naps are one of the greatest things on earth.
    -Sarcasm font is a must. I can not tell you how many times I feel like I get misunderstood in a text or an e-mail because my awful sarcastic sense of humor doesn't come through.
    -Microsoft Word consistently causes fear and terror in me for that reason, and many others.
    -I remember LOVING The Client when I was younger. Also had the Brad Renfro crush. I think I heard he was in jail a few times. I think it was drug related.
    -Ummm I have pants that I swear I never wash... Nick washes his jeans after 1 or 2 uses, and I just don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with XLMIC -- I can fold fitted sheets. Must be our generation. Naps are just about my favorite thing ever.

    I'm doing a half in Headlsburg on Oct 16th. Don't know that it is one to run as a prep to another event though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is where I learned how to fold a fitted sheet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z5k9nWcuFc
    "one of the biggest challenges you're going to face in your life..." lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rather than tell you which ones resonate with me (nearly all of them) I'll tell you which one doesn't. I can't ever figure out where my snooze button is. By the time I have found it after a full minute of beeping, I might as well just get up already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dying at the fitted sheet folding!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @XLMIC

    I don't hate cyclists because I am one! Bikers unite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so funny. i am on par with almost all of these!

    i am running san jose RNR and nike womens half (well i have a full bib, but, um, no.) I am also trying to get motivated for CIM. I haven't decided yet :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I always love a good nap. And I remember sitting awake for the entire nap time in kindergarden...with the back of my shirt being pulled up and annoying me because it was too short.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just came across your blog and I really like what I've read so far! I just signed up for the running with the jets 1/2 marathon, it's not until nov 6th, but it's flat and not too $$.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HILARIOUS list. I use to watch Silence of the Lambs....I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY. I'm definitely f*cked up. Also, I now want a well in my basement when I build a house...

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha...these are great. Fitted sheets baffle me, there is no good way to do it. I love rewatching movies I watched when I was younger...all the stuff I missed- whether it be the plot or things like sexual innuendo that was completely lost on me as a 12 year old. and a big YES to the camaraderie at lane merges!! Especially when traffic is already stopped but there's that d-bag that thinks he's going to get somewhere faster by trying to pass everyone in the shoulder.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!