Sunday, October 16, 2011

100 Miles

I hit the satisfyingly square number of 100 miles this week.

No intention of doing so, I just felt fresh fresh fresh every day, which in total led to 20-30 miles above average for the week.

The extra 20 miles came from taking only one day off from running this week (I usually take off two days -- Monday and Friday -- but I only took off Monday.  And so yes, 100 miles was done in 6 days), and from a 21-miler that snuck up on me on Saturday.

This is how 100 miles in a week happens.

Monday:      OFF.
Tuesday:      17.5 miles, slow and easy.
Wednesday: 13 miles, speed workout (read more below)
Thursday:    17.5 miles
Friday:         13 miles, semi-speed workout unplanned
Saturday:     21 miles, slow and steady
Sunday:       18 miles, some intervals


Quick highlights, since I don't know if anyone cares to read about the dull stats of someone elses run:

Wednesday was my 4th treadmill speed workout since reminding myself a few weeks ago that I had only 10 weeks left till a marathon PR attempt.  With my treadmill ADD, I made up the following workout, which is a variation of the 3 treadmill workouts I have previously done.

Incline: 1.0
5 min: easy, 7.2 mph
10 min: hard, 9.5 mph or 6:18 mile pace.
repeat 4 times.

Total: 8.6 miles in one hour

Followed by a relaxing 35 minutes between 7.2 and 8.0 mph.

This workout, and the 21 miler on Saturday, were done in these new paint splatters:



I hated them on that treadmill run.  Hated them!

My socks were all bunched up, even though the shoes are certainly snug enough and none of my socks have given me problems before.

The bottom of my feet were burning up, another problem I've never had on the treadmill.

And the 1.0 treadmill incline felt much harsher, which I blamed on a heel that was clunkier than what I have been running with on the treadmill recently:



Although looking at these now, the heel is pretty elevated on these as well.

I left that run thinking the Asics Nimbus shoes must not be made for the treadmill....but that I would let them win me over by trying them outdoors.

Saturday.

I left for a long run in the Paint Splatter shoes at 11:00 a.m. (again, for the life of me can somebody explain why all you runners who don't have kids or plans for the day still wake up before 7:00 a.m. on weekends to run?!?) thinking the day might have 17-18 miles in store for me.

For the first 9 miles or so, I hated all over those shoes some more.  Same problems: bunched up socks, and burning feet.

Then, as my run carried on, I became aware of this unusual feeling: the feeling, my dears, was a lack of fatigue.

My legs just kept going and going, and felt as fresh at mile 18 as they had at mile 8.  I finally called it quits at mile 21 just so I could get on with my day (plans to hang with my mom), but it is reaalllly unusual for me to enjoy anything after the 20 mile point.

So what's up?  Do I give credit to the super-gel-cushioned paint splatter shoes?

OR

The other possibility.  I took a multi-v with a good dose of iron in it earlier in the week -- something I rarely do because of the awful side effects of iron supplements (which I did indeed suffer through on Friday).

An extra jolt of iron really seems to give me wings.  I have so much more energy!

So a plea: I know I have glossed this subject before, and I received great feedback.

Some said that natural iron (spinach, black beans) is the way to go; some said that there is a form of liquid iron supplement that lack the bad side effects.

I eat spinach and black beans regularly, but I don't think it is making the cut.

What other supplements -- brand name please -- have you had success with?   Has anyone tried Bifera and would recommend it?  It claims not to have stomach-distressing side effects.

Last thing that made my run on Saturday awesome.

I found my dream pair of shorts.

I have been hunting HIGH AND LOW for just one, simple simple thing: A pair of running shorts with REAL pockets.  Not this key pocket crap in the underwear area.  Not these tiny little pouches that fit one Gu.  Like a full pocket, WITH a zipper or velcro closure, where I can stash my $2 for a 7-11 stop, 5 pieces of gum, 3 keys, one i-pod nano, and the occasional clump of dates or jelly beans.

I have been wearing out these 3 gross, raggedy shorts that I have owned since 2004 (!! ew) because they have pockets, and I haven't been able to replace them.

in blue (two full zipped pockets)
in black.  And an unpictured pair in pink.

Behold, my new treasure.

Oiselle Distance Short

The detail in this picture isn't great, but there is a full pocket with a zipper both on the right side, and another on the upper back of these shorts.

Even more awesome, they are cut longer on the inside of the leg opening so as to avoid the evil thigh-chafe, and higher on the outside for optimal leg movement.

I purchased them on sale, in black, which was the only option, at my local See Jane Run store.  I now plan on purchasing 2 more pairs since I know I will never find another pair of pocket-shorts for 10 years.

Unless Oiselle googles their name, finds this, and decides I deserve a free pair.  Oiselle Oiselle Oiselle! Find me and love me!

Just kidding, I'm going to buy them right now.

19 comments:

  1. I am so impressed. 100 effing miles?!?!? Wow.

    I could eat (drink?) an entire bottle of iron supplement and not feel that fresh. Damn! You're a machine, lady!

    Glad you found some good shorts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 100!

    I loooooove my booty shorts, but yesterday I ran in shorts with two huge pockets. No zippers or Velcro, but I was able to stash three packets of Gu and half a pack of Gu chomps. Didn't have to wear my spibelt, though I did wear an armband for my phone, cash and key. It felt OK, and I was able to carry more for my run.

    The only problem with looser shorts (aside from the fact that they are not my beloved booty shorts) is that they aren't very flattering. My hips are curvier than the rest of my frame, so shorts like Tempos tend to flare out.

    Yeah yeah, I shouldn't give an eff how I look when I exercise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the baddest bad ass who ever bad assed her way to a 100 mile week. Holy shit bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, awesome mileage! And in pesky shoes, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy $h!t-ton of miles. 100? Wow.

    So, if I left at for my run at 11am, it would be like 75 degrees and sunny. Too hot! I would bet you have cooler weather at that hour up there in norcal. That and if I wait til 11, there is a high probability I will just say "eff it, I'm not going".

    ReplyDelete
  6. you iron junkie you! pass on that freshness. I did 9 miles.....TOTAL this week. Impressive I know.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is a week that'll make you damn strong. I used to do a similar 10 minutes "on" / 5 minutes "off" repeat workout which I credited for getting me into really good 10K/15K shape about a year ago... not sure why I fell off the wagon with that one. You've inspired me to reintroduce it.

    When you take days off from running, do you crosstrain instead on those days? I feel you may have said that you don't... but maybe I wasn't reading carefully enough.

    Anyway. Nice miles. Hope you take a moment to revel in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You basically lost me after 100 miles. I'm going to make that my goal next week--and maybe the week after that. And then the week after that. Just add up all those weeks together, and I should be there.
    I'm heading out to buy iron and shorts with zippers now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all wow, what a week. Those shorts look amazing, I love pockets too.

    As for Iron, I can help (maybe?). I have heard that blackstrap molasses is chock full of iron. I know people that add it to smoothies. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an impressive week!! With high mileage like that you will be buying new pairs of kicks on a monthly basis:)

    I am going to check out those shorts- pockets are a MUST.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy crap 100 miles?? That is just insane! I am amazed that you get all these double digit miles in. You will crush that marathon PR! Congrats on finding the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to be you SO BAD. You rock. 100 miles? That PR is yours - it's just there waiting for you on race day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, 100 miles!?! That is awesome! And the best part is that you didn't seem to be straining to reach that mileage number, which is how it should be. (meaning that running that much shouldn't feel like a chore or that you are running beyond your abilities)

    As for running shoes, I would go with what seems most comfortable. You have a ton of experience, so I bet you will determine what feels the best. I've been looking more into Newton's (which have close to zero heel raise in the back), so I'll let you know what I think when I try them on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dang, 100 miles?!?! Go on with your bad self! You are unstoppable!

    I love Oiselle shorts. Love love love. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for finding shorts that work! I love stuff like that. It gives you the best, happiest feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 100 miles . . . in a week! OMG. I thought you like worked . . . I am so envious. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Job on your 100 mile week!! :)

    Soo awesome!! My feet would've burned too...running on the treadmill as fast as you were!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 100 miles is impressive. Your time will be so awesome at CIM.

    ReplyDelete
  19. bifera is suppose to be better but iron sucks. :(

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!