Friday, October 21, 2011

Half Expectations

I'm exited for this Sunday.

I will be running the Livermore Grape Stomp half marathon.


This is the ugly image that is on the race shirt I just picked up today.   Really...bad design.

Let's talk about my expectations for the race.

On one hand, I am hopeful that I could run this thing hard, get a PR (under 1:28:22), and generally boost my confidence as I head into a full marathon in 6 weeks.

And I should PR -- this is the first time ever I have followed any sort of a "training".

If you haven't heard me drone about this before, I recently began running a one-hour speed session on the treadmill once a week.  These workouts have been challenging, extremely fun, and possibly-hopefully working.

I will head into the race having accomplished 5 one-hour speed sessions.  5 weeks.

Now, that 1:28:22 -- I earned that through a relatively lackadaisical regimen consisting of running at a comfortable speed whenever I wanted, going on lots of long runs for fun, occasionally picking up the speed ever so gently....and then just saying "go faster than normal!" on race day.

This time, the mantra could be more like "go as fast as you do for about 10 minutes at a time on the treadmill!", and maybe my body and mind will agree that it can do so.

On the other hand: I have a history (ok, one race) of not performing well MENTALLY in smaller races.  Without numerous racers acting as rabbits (aka a pace setter) by my side, and without the encouraging crowds that a bigger race brings, I become mentally uninspired and it is very hard to push myself.  Very hard.

This race will have about 300 runners.  That is small enough that I believe it is very likely I will be in no-mans-land by mile 3.  Which is to say, running alone.

Another element of imperfection is that the forecast is very warm -- 87 degrees.  Don't know what that means for 8:00 a.m., but extra water stops may play a role in slowing me down.  I think I usually grab only one or two swigs of water for half-marathons, but strangely enough I can't really remember my half drink history.

Fresh tub of dates.  I WILL be stealing these from my pockets while running, regardless of water stops

In sum, as is always the case when I dish out money for a race, I will aim for a new personal record.

And then also in sum, I made pre-excuses for why a PR may not happen.


COSTCO DRESSES

Remember when I devoted a post to the excellence that is Target Dresses?

Well who would have thunk it.  But I found some uber-cute dresses for $18 at the most unlikely of places.

Can you guess where!?  Oh, what? You read the caption of this part of the post already? So it was obvious? Oh.  Ok.

Yeah I found them at Costco.

BUT what you DIDN'T know, you know-it-all, is that I found them in the KIDS SECTION.

I'm not one of those pathetic middle-aged women who only eats carrots and seaweed so I can brag about shopping for myself in the kids section.

Au Contraire.  I was able to fit in, and purchase, dresses from the kids section because a size 14 there is easily an Adult Small Plus.  And they had a size 16 too, which must be good for an Adult Medium.  Don't know what they are feeding the kids these days...


$18!


This silver number is so hot.  Love the sleeves.  Perfect for a holiday celebration.  Unfortunately, while it is a decent fit, it is clear this was not built for a woman with a chest or a hip-to-waist curve.  It kind of hangs flat whereas it would be much cuter if it cut in a little at the waist.

Nothing that a belt can't fix.




This blue number is so ADULT! If you can't tell, the black trim (besides the sleeves) is beading.  This is a thick sturdy cloth, and looks formal yet spunky.  I will probably wear it to work with black tights or leggings.

Both dresses hit mid-to-upper thigh.

beading.

I will be happily day-camping near Half Moon Bay tomorrow, so I won't be up in this here blog until the race recap.  See you on the flip side!

Have you ever purchased clothing at Costco? 

Have you ever purchased clothing for yourself from the kids section?

17 comments:

  1. Good luck in your half, RR!!!

    We don't have a Costco (such a lame town), but we do have a Sam's Club and yes. I have purchased clothes there! They had some super cute t-shirts over the summer for CHEAP. CK was the brand too!

    And yes, last year I purchased a big 'ole parka type jacket Size 14 kids for our ski trip to Big Bear. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh I missed you, trying to get back to blogging :D You are going to destroy your half, I can't even fathom 1 hour speed sessions! And funny you mention your Target dress post in this post, which is the first blog post (out of the 300+ blogs I follow) that I've read in a few months, bc I remember it vividly hahah :) Love the silver one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The speedwork will pay off big time! Picture your triumphant recap for your blog readers if no other runners are around to motivate you! I also shop in the kids section, no shame in my game.

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, it's been so long since I've run a race with a field size greater than about 40 people... 300 sounds like a mammoth-ass number right about now.

    If you can push yourself that hard on the treadmill (all alone!), you indubitably possess the tools to channel that same mental and physical fortitude on the race course... no man's land be damned. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I routinely shop for ski gear in the kids' section - waaaaay cheaper than adult gear, especially on sale. Adult sales usually kind of suck because all the mid-range sizes (ie, MINE) are gone, but kids' sales are perfect because all the leftovers are the extremes (so I can snag the bigger stuff).

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck girl! Curious how those dates work...how many do you take and how often?? Excited to see how you do...go get that PR!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending speedy wishes your way for Sunday! I have no doubt in my mind that you are going to blow that PR out of the water...I'm feeling a 1:25 in those legs. I actually prefer to run in smaller races. For me it is so much easier to focus on what the goal for the day is and keep repeating whatever mantra I've chosen for the day. You are incrediably speedy, so just enjoy being fast!

    Those are cute dresses, kinda mature looking to be in the kids section. I shop in the kids section at target often, since the majority of kids are obese these days "kids sizes" arent what they were when we were growing up.

    Fly like the wind Sunday, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy shit! Your half PR is 1:28. Your a beast Rose Runner! Good luck this weeknd. DON'T GET IN YOUR HEAD too much! Trust your body. It's obviously done the work. You will own it.

    And super cute dress choiced. That silver one is phenomenal. I buy clothes at costco all the time. But never kids section.

    Good luck!

    and ps - that is a fugly design for a shirt. what a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those dresses aren't my style, but I can see how they'd look cute on other people. They don't look like kid dresses at all.

    I definitely browse the plus size kid section of Target. It's tough, though, since I started weight training, because my shoulders are too broad, and the arm holes are too small on most dresses. But, I keep looking, because, for being nearly the same size, kid clothes are SO MUCH CHEAPER.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps the title of this post should be "Grape Expectations?" Ha ha - I love a good pun. I'm sure you'll have a great race. Fingers crossed for a PR.

    I shop in the kids department too, mainly because I am so short. Never bought anything at Costco, but definitely Old Navy, Gap Kids, and Target.

    PS - Hidden Mickey is actually a Donald Duck. Check the pocket on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Break the tape my friend! You're going to do GREAT I have a sense for these things! :)

    "What you put in is what you take out..." You've def. "PUT IN!" I hope to be able to nail one of your speed sessions one day!

    Cute dresses too!! In the past, I've purchased items for the kids at Costco, Billabong jacket for my daughter and P.J.'s for the boys.

    "GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck tomorrow!! Can't wait to hear how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I honestly can't give you a single word of advice because I will never know what it's like to have such speedy legs! But with your TM speed training it seems a PR is on the horizon!

    Very cute dresses. I used to shop at Costco when I lived near one, but I don't remember anything particularly attractive. I buy kid's clothes whenever I can, especially because I'm on the shorter side.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovin the costco dresses, I'm going to have to stop by there and branch out from my normal Target dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, those don't look like kids dresses at all. Nice score!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the dresses! I need to get a Costco membership again...

    Hope the race went well. If I had read this post sooner I would have sent you a good luck cheer of some sort!

    ReplyDelete
  17. also my body is weird. i can't fit in adult sizes and my ass is too big for the kid sizes...le sigh...big ass.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!