Sunday, November 6, 2011

Run With the Jets Half Marathon

The REMIX! I mean, the RECAP!

written by: the eternally 2nd place woman RoseRunner.

Garmin time: 1:26:29
Place: 2nd place woman
Pace: 6:35

Official stats to come....

I made the choice to sign up for this on Friday.  The forecast was showing 30% chance of rain, and I figured I had a 70% chance of having an awesome dry race.  I was right y'all, no rain at all this morning.

As a runner-blogger, I always have something to blame for not having a perfect race, and in the week leading up to this one, it was my left hip.  Being a little bitch like "RoseRunner, you never stretch me and you never strengthen me, we can't withstand this kind of relationship, I'm going to make a fuss until you figure out how to treat me right."

So the rain was working with me, my hip wasn't.

Also working with me: the time change. Ahhhhh, blissful to wake up at "7:20" (shhh, it was really 6:20 but it felt like 7:20 to me) for a "9:00" race.  Do you play these mind tricks too? I'm going to act like I get to sleep in an extra hour for at least a week until I cave and catch up to the real time. 

I drank half of a 5-hour energy which was a freebie from my last 1/2 marathon; a banana; cherry juice; some gummy chews; and then we left for a 40 minute drive to San Mateo.

Perfect timing arrival.  The bathroom wait was about 2 minutes.  +98 points for the race already.




The race started at Coyote Park with this beautiful view.  +3984 points for the race already.



This was my serious and official running gear.  OK, it was my PJ's.  It was about 49 degrees.

Picking up my bib was a cinch.  +4,000,000 points for the race already.

I was quickly realizing it would be too warm for my long sleeved shirt and gloves, so I did a little strip dance and put on this purple shirt, which is the purple version of the same blue shirt I wore 2 weeks ago at the Livermore 1/2.


We waited until 8:08 for the race to start [9:08 if you know what I mean, hehe, time trickery]


Getting my dates in ready position





Lots of men, and then me. 

Get to the RACE already, I know, sorry.  Ok so the race started.  The course was an out-and-back, along the water.  I went out "too fast" or whatever, but that's my thing and I was feeling good so I didn't cry about it.

mile 1: 6:11
mile 2: 6:23

I was thinking "no ladies in sight, if my hip behaves and I can finish this thing, I might actually get first, wouldn't that be lovely."


 Acting like I can keep up with the guys who will run a 6:11 pace the whole time.



My new favorite running picture of all time.

My hip started hurting at mile 3.  No one wants to hear about it I know, but that is what was going through my mind for the next few miles.  Just wondering if I will be able to last without seriously injuring myself.

Mile 3: 6:32
Mile 4: 6:22
Mile 5: 6:35

I was so thankful that I stripped off my long sleeved shirt before the race.  With the sun out in full force, it felt warm.   All the way through the turnaround at mile 6.55, someone was drafting right behind me and I could hear their footsteps forever.  It didn't bother me, it actually made me keep my pace up.

I ate a date around mile 5, and continued to scare/annoy the water volunteers by not stopping to grab my water, and instead grabbing it mid-run and splashing them in the process.  Does nobody warn these sweet volunteers that this is common?  In smaller races, I always hear someone laugh or comment with surprise that I kinda....make a mess.  Sorry.

Mile 6: 6:35
Mile 7: 6:38

When we hit the turnaround, my world changed.

First, I realized that there was a woman right on my tail.  I had no idea.  We ran side-by-side for about a mile after the turnaround, and then I watched her leave me in her dust.  I was fading fast....because...

WIND.  Oh my goodness, I had not noticed what a handicap I had in my favor for those first 6.55 miles.  The wind had been at my back the whole time.  No wonder it felt so easy!!

I plowed into the wind for the entire remaining half.  That, combined with my fatiguing legs, left my time drop-drop-dropping.  I was pushing it pretty hard (I think).

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering what the wonderfully supportive Gentleman was doing while waiting for me, he was taking pictures of this stick.


 There are a dozen different versions of this picture.


And the reason this was called "Run with the Jets" -- the planes flying into SFO were by our side.

Mile 8: 6:52
Mile 9: 6:59
Mile 10: 6:58

Mile 10 is a nice point.  I can mentally deal with having 3.1 miles left.  Miles 7-through-9 are generally pretty tough for me mentally.  I usually feel like crap, and knowing I have 5 miles or so left sounds unbearable.

Unlike two weeks ago at the Livermore Grape Stomp half, I did not have that burst of energy saved for the end.  I trudged on through the last three miles, begging the wind not to be so cruel.  And begging for my hip to shut the front door (the worst of the hip was mile 10).


 Right before the finish, daintily avoiding the puddle.


FINISH! I was very happy to be done.

Mile 11: 7:01
Mile 12: 6:54
Mile 13: 6:38

Once again, my Garmin came up short from a full 13.1.  Blerg.  I don't know who to trust anymore; Garmin, Google maps, or the soreness of my butt (I will be sore this time).

I pranced (or waddled) over to Ms. 1st place and we chatted for a while.  She was lovely, and I may have a little girl-crush on her.  She finished somewhere in the low 1:24's, had just moved to the Bay Area from New York, and was a Central Park running-club member with Megan -- so I dropped Megan's name as if we were old bff's, even though I just stalk her blog.

New 1/2 PR, so I'm happy as can be.  Thanks for listening.

33 comments:

  1. A PR with wind and a pain in your ass?

    You're kind of a rock star.

    I don't have anything of greater substance to say, except great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are pretty awesome I must say:) What a nice SPEEDY race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My work is right next to San Mateo. Hope you had a chance to hit downtown, or San Carlos ... Great dining there. If it wasn't out of my budget I'd probably live around those parts.

    You smoked that race. Wow. Congrats on the new PR! I agree, the pic of you leaping with the men is lovely. You look so strong. Future blog banner, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ran that time with a knackered hip? Incredible. I can't even think about running in the 1:26 range, let alone the 1:24s as the winner did.

    My Garmin must be adding the distance that yours is subtracting - it's measured every single course I've ever run as being long.

    I always end up being photographed with a load of guys as well, and it looks even more incongrous because I'm so short.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job on a new PR! Reading your recaps make me want to go outside and run that speed- for like, 30 seconds. But man it must be fun to be that fast! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nearly two minute PR is seriously impressive. You just get better and better... and are without a doubt my current run-blogger inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn girl nice run!!!!! Woohoo for PR even with yucky circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New PR? *tosses confetti, blows that party thingy that goes out and back* Nice job!

    Awesome pictures as always. And c'mon, you have to admit; that's a pretty sweet stick.

    It's interesting to see pictures of a finish line without twenty million other people crossing at the same time.

    And final hint - next time, if you want to be first, carry a collapsible baton and take out anyone in your way. You could be first overall that way! And you'd get a fun ride in a car with whirly lights, what could beat that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Gentleman is quite the artiste.

    Nice job dodging that puddle...and on the rest of the run! 1:26 and a new PR is a pretty sweet way to start your Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the PR! And with wind and bad hip -- you are seriously fast. Sounds like a fun race.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - congrats! Other than your hip and the wind, sounds like a great race! Nice work! How's the hip holding up now?

    ReplyDelete
  13. umm, holy crap. and wow.

    PS - I love that you and the guy in the red singlet are in the exact same pose.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice PR!

    The picture with you and all the men made me laugh. Lucky them!

    Congrats on kicking ass.

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats on your PR miss speedy rose lady!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesomeness. Congrats on a new (and amazing) PR!

    Dying at the Gentleman's stick picture...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your new favorite running picture makes you look like such a badass. Your gentleman has this action shot thing down. Congrats on the PR!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic run!! Damn you're fast!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are AMAZING!! And the picture of the stick made me lol :) Congrats on a new PR!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1:26!!! That is crazy fast, woman. That time qualifies you for NYCM according to the new, harder standards.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Always trust your butt!!

    Congrats on your PR and awesome second place finish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seriously impressive.

    New reader here! I would love to hear more about how you became a faster runner, time put in, X-Train, etc.

    I am not very fast but would love to be someday!

    Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations Rose! You are seriously a rock star! Yay for PRs and podium finishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A garmin will generally come up long because of the whole line of sight thing, but coming up short CAN be a bad sign. If the course is certified, it is accurate provided cones were set up in the right place. A few years ago I did a 5 mile race where a vollie put the turn around cone at the WRONG certification point since they were working off an old version. When in doubt, ask others what they got. If everyone comes up short, something was probably wrong. But long? Yeah, go with the certification. (At this point if Garmin agrees with the certification i tend to wonder if the course is short.)

    As far as your actual race, nice job there! You're clearly not too far off getting under 1:25 since wind can thrown you off so much...

    ReplyDelete
  25. p.s. i definitely know Christina! if you cross paths again soon, send my regards.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on your new PR! You just keep getting faster and faster. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome, congrats! Weirdly, I think my best races have been ones where I've run so hard that I don't have any kick left at the end. Seems to have worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. New PR yay!!!! So awesome!! As always, I love your race recaps. This was a fun one. Mainly because of the pictures of the stick. Can I see the other 14 versions? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I feel like everytime you post a race recap my comments are the same - "Great job!" and "You are insanely fast!" This one is no different! lol

    Weird that the course worked out to be shorter on your garmin, that is usually not a good sign - maybe there was a tunnel on the course that you ran through? Did other people's watches come up short? May want to email the race organizer for them to confirm that the race measured out to the right length.

    Also, that pic of you airborne with the light shining down is awesome - that might have to become your new blog header pic, haha

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely stick, good thing you have lots of photos of it.

    Congrats on the well deserved PR here! You are my idol going out with a 6:11 mile, I can barely do that for a 5k! You poor thing with that stupid wind, I know how terrible it must have felt. I ran a half in the spring where the first 6 had 40 mph winds at my back and the remaining miles were running directly into that wind...with horizontal rain. Oh the horror.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Rose Runner....I was the "old lady" (33 year old female:)) who finished in 3rd (behind you by about 4 minutes) in that race. You are AMAZING for coming up with such a great time with knee problems and all. I was laughing out loud about your description of the wind....I too felt AMAZING on the first 6.5....and then after the turn realized why-that FABULOUS WIND was pushing us forward on our tails :) Your description of teh race was PERFECT and I loved reading through your journey mile by mile as mine was similar :)

    I too think the race may have been a TAD short as I PR'd by almost 4 minutes (Prior to this half...my personal best was a 134.02 at the Seattle Rock & Roll). I'd rather not think the course was short...let's just say we were both having an "on" day. :) Anyhow, you weren't there for teh awards and I hope you got the message that we all won a new pair of shoes as the top THREE women finsihers. Be sure you pick up your certificate and congratulations on a great run!!! Jen Maravillas

    ReplyDelete
  32. getting caught up on your blog posts... :)

    CONGRATS ON A NEW PR!! You're speed impressed the heck out of me!! 2nd place is awesome! I'm saying that because it seems I can't break out of my 2nd place rut either! My boys tell me..."2nd place AGAIN...mommy how come you didn't get first??!" sigh...the pressure I have! :)

    I ran what was supposed to be a half mary this past weekend but, turned out the course was inadvertently shortened and was only 12.4 mi!! I've ran courses that are longer but NEVER shorter!! So, this was a first! The first place male was running the race to qualify for the 2012 olympics and finished in 1:3:56 (4:52) pace BUT, can't even count his time! Can you imagine??! He was pretty upset! To the rest of us it was a fun run! I was running at my half pr pace and finished 12.4 in 1:30:50 MAYBE I could've set a new PR. Oh well!!

    CONGRATS again to you girl!! Can't wait to hear about how you do at CIM next month! :)

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!