Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Best Post Ever Written

It's such a relief that I have something better to post about than New Years.  Resolutions and reflections are just fine on March 23rd and August 8th, I'm not buying the hype.  I'm talking about my birthday instead.

I did the obviously best thing one could do on their birthday.

Went on a rain hike!




So all of December has been delightfully perfect, sunny, clear clouds.  Starting a few weeks ago, when the Gentleman asked me what I wanted to do for the Big Day, I said 1) Hike, 2) fancy dinner, 3) Portlandia tour (to be explained later).

We woke up on my birthday, and as we are on long-weekend-vacation mode (which is to say not checking the internet), we assumed it was lovely out just like the rest of December.

Then we stepped onto the trails of Tilden park in Berkeley, and within about 50 yards I was more or less drowning, quicksand style, in thick gloopy mud.



Birthday Yum

We turned around and found a different trail.  I'm so glad we didn't bail due to the mud, which we almost did.  The other trails were great.  We hiked in a thick fog with gentle drizzle, nobody but die-hard dog owners out for a walk in sight.

My legs were wiped by the end.  I'm not in hiking shape apparently.  We whipped home, glammed ourselves up, and did some Glamour Shots so that I will never forget how hot I was the day I turned 28.

Secret: those are thermals, not tights. You're looking at my underwear.


Obnoxious

I do this for YOU.  For the BLOG.  Life is hard

For every 3 pictures of the lady, the gentleman gets to have his moment.


Then we headed out to the dreaded city....San Francisco....for dinner at the exceptionally fancy and snobby (in a good way) Boulevard restaurant.

We weren't able to get reservations, which is a common side-affect of having a birthday the day before New Years, so we wanted to get there shortly after they opened at 5:30 to get seats.  Luckily, senior citizen hour worked for us because the hike had worked up an appetite.

Then we ordered a $hit-ton.  3 appetizers, and then 2 more appetizers for my entree (I was kind of trying to create my personalized tasting menu) and one entree for the Gentleman.

I hated this.  It was abalone.  I think I did not know what abalone was. 

Half-eaten scallops.  I love scallops.

This dish killed me.  I still feel like a blimp today.  Truffle risotto with hazelnuts and an enormous pile of burratta cheese.

The Gentleman's pork with kabocha gnocchi and brussel sprouts.

My lobster ravioli

and my crab cake.  I really did my part to ruin the Ocean tonight.

I was loosening my belt as each one came out.  Literally.



looking for extra space to fit my growing stomach.

durrrrr

3:1 ratio.  Don't forget.

We dined in San Francisco because we were going to a show afterwards in San Francisco.  Don't you dare think it was because the East Bay doesn't have awesome food.  East Bay, and especially Oakland, has kickass food.  And unlike San Francisco's restaurants, you usually don't have to sell a liver to secure a reservation.  Or a parking spot.

The show? A tour of Portlandia.  Give me a shout-out if you know and love this sketch comedy show....and if you don't already love it, click on that link.  It should be no secret that I am an SNL groupie.  I love Fred Armisen, and while I'm name dropping, these two guys are pretty cool too.

Me and my GOOD friend Jason Sudeikis.  2009.

My sister and I then tried to seduce Will Forte.  2009.

 Ok.  Back to 2011.  Portlandia.

we waited in line forever....and watched a homeless dude approach line-waiters with a palm full of bud.  The hipsters happily paid for some. 

I decided I look good enough here that it warranted facebook profile status.

we decided this is going to be our new annoying couple thing that we will throw at people instead of peace signs.

Fred Armisen on the left, Carrie Brownstein on the right.  Music + comedy.

In character as feminist bookstore owners



Dana Carvey stopped by.  Choppin Brocco-li.  Oh, you young kids wouldn't get it.


Birthday gifts? The Gentleman got me my favorite racing/running shorts -- the Oiselle distance running short -- in two beautiful colors.  I only had them in black, and could not find any other colors in my size online, so score on the find! 



Between these and the two pairs of running shorts I got from Santa, I'm pretty sure I won't have to run in just underwear anymore.  I think they must have been trying to tell me something...

This week in running was a gradual increase from the last few weeks, as I get back in my groove post-marathon.  52 miles.

I'm ending the year with just about 3200 miles.  I get that this is a lot.  But when I crunch the numbers like the mathlete that I am, that's less than 10 miles a day (3650 miles/year.  Math skillz).  3200 miles is an average of 8.7 miles per day.  8 miles is a short run in my book, so my annual mileage doesn't seem absurd at all. 

3 cheers for running!  I have a real giveaway coming up in my next post, so SIT STILL exactly where you are sitting in front of your computer until I post it.  Don't move.  Or you will not win.

19 comments:

  1. You look soooo purrrty in your dinner dress. What a purrfect birthday, the gentleman made such a great purrrchase when he bought you those shorts. I like cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy happy birthday to you, to you! =) Looks like a great celebration. I don't know Portlandia (only the put a bird on it skit, from the Bloggess), but I'll check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 28 is a great year...you will LOVE it.

    We had a friend who was head chef at Boulevard about a million years ago...our first fancy night out was there because we were comped :)

    Happy, happy Birthday, pretty woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regardless of whether I'm seeing your underwear your birthday outfit is beautiful - and your waist is tiny. Ooh, how I hate you ;)

    Nice mileage for the year too!

    Glad you had a happy birthday.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happpy new year! AND more importantly, happy bday!

    I agree about the facebook profile pic-- it's a good one. Little miss model.

    I like this idea of doing so many appetizers for both your starter and for the main course. I always want to try so many different tastes during my meal and I'm often disappointed in my main entree or have PLATE ENVY.

    You have found a good solution to the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang girl - you fancy! And 3,200 miles is pretty much insane, but in a good way.

    Here's on more HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Oh, and I'm now lusting to try those Oiselle shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated! That risotto looks like it would knock my socks off and I could die happy after gorging myself in it. Congrats on the 3200 miles for 2011, mighty impressive lady! This was actually the first year I've tracked my miles, and came out just under 2600.

    Love the green coat, it's very tres chic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday lady!! I love that you started your day off with a hike:)

    3200 Miles... That's quite a few miles my dear, awesome job!:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 3:1 is generous for female bloggers, let's be honest. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun way to spend your birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your jacket. LOVE.

    I also love abalone. But, my mom dated an ab diver for a while, so we'd get it fresh (pulled from the ocean an hour prior), which might help. I've never seen it in a restaurant.

    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am waiting!! Happy Birthday by the way! It was so much fun thinking about you throughout the day. Isn't it awesome how we can be friends like this for so long? Whenever I think about you I smile. I don't think I will ever go a year in my life without thinking of you. Do you think that is possible? Of course it is possible. Someday I will tell my grandkids and you will tell your grand nieces/nephews about our friend we used to have who we celebrated weird dates, "9/9/99" and they will laugh because we are soooo old and no one lived that long ago. Oh I hope I am right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look so adorable -- and are hilarious! How dare you call SF dreaded, though. :P

    Happy birthday! Can't wait to catch up more this year (namely the pizza party before Oakland!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Boulevard. And definitely need to try out those shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Portlandia is so hilarious! And ridiculous. Just like hipsters. They nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha choppin brocco-li! Love the reference. Looks like such a fun birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhhh so jealous you saw Portlandia!! HILARIOUS!

    Happy Belated Birthday pretty lady. Looks like it was a lot of fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you get your hiking pants from Target? I think we have the same pair.

    I love your new orange running shorts. Lovely color. After you posted about the black ones, I actually visited Oiselle's site to check them out. And I lusted after everything I saw. But I've sworn not to buy anymore running clothes (except shoes and maybe socks) this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. PORLANDIAAAAAAA. Freaking fun night. I love the way you guys go balls out on special events at restaurants. BTW I can't believe I missed yo bday!

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!