Saturday, January 14, 2012

This Day Happened

*Note: I won't be writing about the Olympic marathon trials that occurred today, because I didn't watch them and I'm a rude runner who loves the sport but is not particularly interested in the elites.  I am only aware that trials happened because the runner blogs in my reader can be rather redundant.

Today was the kind of Saturday that reminds me that all days should be Saturdays, and that I should revamp my efforts at winning the lottery so I only have to work when I want to.

I slept in until 8:30 (ahhhhhhhhhh -- like the spa "ahhh", not "omg ahhhh there's a spider), spent some time with the Gentleman (interpret this however you want, but be a grown-up about it), and then headed out for a perfect run on a perfectly crisp 60+ degree sunny-vitamin-D filled Oakland day.

I ran 19 miles -- the most since running a marathon like 6 or 7 weeks ago now -- and felt so ON.  Back to my old, pre-marathon self (lame hip and all) where 19 miles felt like nothin'.  

Some guy riding his bike approached me and said something about how I looked like "a real runner," and I later got a couple "hey speedy!" comments, which made me smile and just want to give running a BIG FREAKIN HUG, and never let it go, never let injuries take me away.  Such a drug...I sailed off the good vibes and finished the run at a 7:50 avg pace--something that never happens when my run includes some steep Oakland hills, which this one did.  I would have carried on past the 20-mile mark if I didn't have to get home to...

Help my cute guy set up some delicious food for a football viewing bonanza!  The San Francisco 49ers were playing their first game of the play-offs (big freaking deal), and they won, which means this exact fun Saturday scenario will occur again next weekend.

First, we got all the fantastic food out and ready, and I don't know how to reveal this without sounding like a lazy-ass, but the food was entirely prepared by the Gentleman.  He gets excited about recipes and cooking, while looking at a recipe card makes me depressed (24 ingredients? Do I have to get all Rachel Ray and carry them all at once like a toppling pyramid from counter to table?)  I footed the grocery bill, so I contributed in my own way. 

*I will say, I have helped him cook before, and I find it very rewarding and even fun if I am in the right mood to stir and stir and stir for 30 minutes.


The chef, setting the table

The living room, set and ready, with our now-adored new TV with some talkers talking

This is the kitchen where I watch him cook


His hearty homemade bread (NO breadmaker involved)

Plus dairy

Italian sausage chili....yeah so I may have failed to mention that I've been eating meat.  For about a month now.  Edamame guacamole on the upper left.


More cheese, wine, chili in the crock-pot, quinoa salad in the front.

close up.  Quinoa, corn, black beans, lime, scallions, etc.

I suited up in the cute new dress my sister found me for Christmas, from a vintage shop.


The boots may have been overkill, but I decided to pretend it's a little bit Winter in California

READY for FOOTBALL!

It's kind of a relief I don't always keep a camera with me, right?  Otherwise posts would be loaded with this nonsense.  Which is your fair warning that more pictures are coming.

Cause next, we ate that food and watched that football!

The appropriate way to watch football


First, we were all serious: "Actually, in 1824, Sir Footballius stated that there shalt be four downs"

Then we had some beers, loosened up, and made fun of Tim Tebow the appropriate number of times

Whatever made me laugh this hard is probably not blog appropriate

Simmering down


And the whole gang.


 Happy running and sport watching!

15 comments:

  1. Yay for a GREAT run!!!! I don't think it's rude to not be interested in the elites...because that would mean that I'm rude...which I'm not...usually.

    That party looks like it was pretty wild. I'm surprised that everyone was still fully clothed by the time that last picture was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Important point: the game next week is Sunday. So you get to have a great Sunday watching football! Go Niners! :)

    I did watch the Olympic marathon trials. Actually DVR'd them and just finished watching. I wish I could run that fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right! I def agree about the whole blogging world obsessing over certain things. I'm happy for the elites, I am, but 25/30 of my blogs posting about it? I know who the top 3 were and I'll watch again at Olympics. Anyways-I digress.

    Great run girl, and all I did was sit around watch football as well today! Twinnies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...that Italian sausage chili looks so good! And it looks like you had a great time watching the game. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how the appropriate football watching attire involved a pretty dress and knee high boots! I need some tips, clearly. Great run!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute outfit!!!

    SO right there with you on the sheer depression of looking at a recipe. That's why my husband does most of the cooking around here.

    Great run, Speedy McSpeedyton!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I are not kitchen compatible in any way, shape or form. For some reason (and it's not the size of the kitchen), we cannot both be in the kitchen at the same time without trying to kill each other. Since this is our main relationship flaw, I'm okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice run lady. Happy to hear that hip pain is going away!Like your dress:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy you got a great run in girl!! :)

    love all the pics! your dress & boot ensemble is very cute.

    the bread looks really good. your "gentleman" is a keeper. I'm going to google "edamame guacaomole"...sounds good! :) my hubby made dinner last night for the golden globes. he got extra kisses and I smiled while I cleaned the dishes. It's great when our guys step up in the kitchen...very sexy!! :)

    Have a happy Monday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YEAH for feelin' back to your ass-kickin 19-miles of blissfulness self!!
    Even though I was born a 49-er fan...(my Grandpa has had season tickets for over 50-yrs!)...I wouldn't be so into football if the viewing if the party food weren't so delicious! Love your spread, and I am so jealous of you guy's bread skills!! one day I hope to be able to bake chef-quality bread!!
    I hope your week is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a pretty awesome Saturday to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't watch running events either. And my favorite blog is my own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this post, it was very happy :) your quinoa salad looks really good, I'm curious what made you decide to eat meat again? Also awesome friggin pace for your 19 miles!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He makes homemade bread without a bread machine? This guy sounds like a keeper. And, completely jealous of your 19 mile run at an amazing pace!

    Adorable dress - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i loved having people over...when our apt was bigger. and about the meat thing...just eat it when you guys go balls out at restaurants!

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!