Sunday, March 25, 2012

I Love the Oakland Police

I really do, I love them.  They came out by the dozens for today's half and full marathon, closing off streets and cheering.  It doesn't hurt at all that they are very attractive.  They rock.

The only pic I could find, from this guy's great recap of the full marathon in 2010

You know who else rocked today? Me.  I felt fucking fantastic.  Everything that XLMIC did for me, and told me to do on my own, must have worked.  My hip felt fine -- in fact, this is probably the first half marathon ever where one of my hips didn't at least get fatigued by the end of the race.

Sadly, this was my first race without the Gentleman's support (he went to work), so this pre-race picture is all I have today

I tossed this shirt at the start and ran in a black tank.  So I was not a complete purple weirdo.


I know a lot of people don't like this "unofficial Garmin time" talk or excuses, but I want to talk about my Garmin time instead of my official time, because I think it reflects how I felt today, how strong I ran today, and how I have improved.  The Oakland half-marathon is notoriously a long course (at least I have pegged it to be -- last year it was 13.36 by my watch, this year it was 13.32 if not more because of multiple tunnels/overpasses where my watch went off).  I'll happily accept my official time, even though it won't reflect the PR kind of day that I had.

By my Garmin:  13.1 miles in 1:25:49.  Only one mile was over a 6:40 pace!
By my Garmin:  13.32 miles in 1:27:09.  I don't know my official time yet, but because of the tunnels/overpasses, I'm sure it is many seconds slower.

The 1:25:49 reflects how I felt.  Each mile felt strong, and the second half of the race felt better than my typical half marathon.  I definitely had a better day today than I did at this race, which I guess is technically my PR, where I ran a short course of 13.0 miles in 1:26:35. 

I will also say that, sadly, I didn't "leave it all" out there on the road today.  The entire run was so very comfortable.  My breathing felt easy, my body felt fantastic--except for a little calf pain (I think my purple compression socks confused my calves), the weather was incredible--just perfect perfect at 50 degrees and overcast without a single drop of water.  I'm embarrassed to say that I caved into the comfort of it all and just enjoyed it, instead of pushing myself to that point of feeling like death.  I kept it steady and fast but not all-out.

Consider this post my quick reflection after getting home from the race.  Later I will post a more detailed post on the race itself, mile by mile, so consider yourself warned if you can't stand those kind of posts.

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Way to run fast!! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually you're one of the few people who can make those mile-by-mile recaps interesting. Generally I hate them, but not with your witty commentary.

    I also think it's fine to use a Garmin time as a reflection of how you feel, it's just people who are all 'LOOK AT ME, I got a new PR and I'm now Paula Radcliffe's twin!' over their Garmin times and then their official time is about 5 minutes slower that bug me. And people who whine about the course being long - I've never known you whine about anything.

    Love all the purple! And congratulations on such an amazing time with minimal hip pain.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH!!! So glad it was fabulous, I think the purple helps...Wish I was there to root you on. Do you know how you ranked overall. Is there another new pair of shoes in your future???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy your hip felt great! Was nervous for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like the happy hip gods were out today :) So glad you had such a great run! 1:25...yep :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. first I think it is pretty great that you had not hip problems. not leaving it all out there was a wise choice for this race. the end results is a positive race and that has to feel good for you right now. congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on today's race! If that's your comfortable race pace then I'm doubly impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing time & great race! Love the purple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats! so exciting to hear the nitty gritty details

    ReplyDelete
  10. Considering the elevation map on the race director's website listed the course as 13.4 miles, I don't blame you (or myself) for listing your garmin stats.

    Anyway, you did an awesome job and I continue to be in awe of you. I still remember seeing you cross the finish last year! Everyone should see you run at least once; it is such a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great time! Love the purple socks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are amazing!! I can't believe how speedy you are. And that's awesome that the race was comfortable and fun. I bet so many people would kill to be able to describe a race like that. You are a running goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on that amazing time! I'm an Oakland girl and I am LOVING reading the recaps of this race. I've recently started running but I hope by next year to be up to a half-marathon distance and able to run this race in my hometown! Glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a badass, RR! So glad that hip is feeling better. YAY! I see (smell?) a sub-3 before the end of the year...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy smokes on times! You are crazy fast, girl!

    And, have you done any posts about hip pain cures? I'm not sure what's goign on with my hip, but I'm sore & any tips or tricks would be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are such a badeffin ass! And I'm with you on the Garmin time thing. My race was really long too, but I fully intend on talking about how awesome I did by my watch! :D Great job on Sunday, Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!