Thursday, March 22, 2012

Me v. Hip

Shit is just not going my way this week.

I'm so indescribably frustrated with my "hip".  It's really not even my hip, did I ever tell you that?  I'm going to get real medical for a second, and describe it like this: It feels like the bone where my butt hits my thigh is out of place.  If I raise my left leg straight up like a Rockette, or like a person who is trying to propel forward while running, it hurts like balls.  The faster I run, the more it hurts.

And even worse, the more I try to fix it, the more it hurts.

I've been standing and stretching like a champ this week, doctors orders.  I've been foam rolling like a pro.  And now I'm riled up, because it is becoming clear to me that this is not a tendon issue, or a muscle issue, or a flexor issue.  This is deeper.  Stress fracture or mis-alignment -- and I've ruled out stress fracture, because it doesn't hurt at all to put weight on my leg.  It just hurts to make my leg stride forward.

Stopping to walk while running is new to me, and it has been happening all the bloody time.  It feels like time is standing still when I have to stop.  I look around, in a fog, confused why I'm not running and running like I have been lucky enough to do for 15 years.  I want all that time, when I'm stopped and stunned, back in my pocket.

Other shitty things this week?  You know how I was all "boo-hoo, long hours because of this large case that is set for trial", and then I was all "yay, that case settled."  Well today, after a year with my firm, I was nonchalantly told in a circuitous way, that I am going to be paid less. I guess because we are less busy.  It's complicated.  But that's certainly not what you expect as your annual encouragement.

What else can I lament about from this rude week...hmm...oh yeah, two new cavities (thank you kindly for the 3+ years in braces, orthodontist.  All that impossible flossing is catching up to me now).  And hear this, I loved reading "the Hunger Games" and am as excited for the movie as anyone else, but after hearing everyone else's HG fever I'm starting to resent the movie.  I cannot be a part of the herd! You can't make me!

Let me try and lighten the mood for a moment..with some brown font....(I tried yellow or orange and it just hurt my eyeballs).

Things that are good this week:

  • XLMIC has kindly offered, and I accepted her offer, to come over and scare my hip into behaving.  It is so lovely for someone to be invested in making this hip heal, since I don't feel much promise from my "stretch and stand" RX doctor. 
  • I get to run a great half-marathon this weekend in the city that I currently call home.  I'm still excited, despite the inescapable fact that it will be painful with a capital P. and AINFUL. 

Oakland Half last year.  For a butt-load of memories and pictures, go here

  • I went to a work event on Tuesday afternoon/evening and got to put on a pretty "first-day of Spring" dress.




photos of mirrors probably didn't exist before the internet.  I must show the world ME!

Here's the Sunday Plan.

  1. Run until my hip/butt falls off
  2. Avoid a Personal Worst
  3. Take stretch breaks.
  4. Wear a pair of compression socks I've never worn before for fun so I will match some other cool runners.
  5. Wear the strangest pair of shoes because they seem to cooperate when I run faster.
These are so wrong for me.  I think they are for stability, which isn't my foot type


Number Three is a whole new ballgame for me.  I have never, never stopped during a race, neither marathon nor half-marathon (except the one time I had to go to the bathroom).   Maybe this will help me gain surges of energy in addition to getting a good stretch.  I'm thinking about four 20-second breaks or so.  I'll lose a minute or two, but hopefully stretching out the hip will make it so I can finish without hopping.

I'm sorry all around, sometimes it's not fun to read about injuries or about bummer weeks but writing it out makes me feel better already.

25 comments:

  1. Aw nuts! I'm sorry to hear about your shitty hip. I hope XLMIC can do the trick!

    The brown font made me giggle.

    And hey, your hip may suck and your law firm may be giving you shaft but you look so pretty in your Spring dress pictures, so it's not all bad!

    Good luck in your race on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so so sorry about your injury. I hate to tell you this...since running is such a huge part of your life and happiness...but rest May be the only thing that will heal this injury.
    Have a great race, and after that take it easy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wise advice. No apologies. I tried the rest thing (1 week) back in November and December, and it made no dent. I really think it needs to be "fixed" -- like a chiropractor needs to mash my hip back into place.

      Delete
  3. Did you try the wall trick? You may just be really stuck. I know it's pricey, but SOL seriously will make you way better and it probably won't take that long. I have some ideas...

    And it is so funny to meet you in person after seeing all of your race photos. I was cracking up looking at your pics from last year's Oakland Half and how demure you appear in real life when not racing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Demure!? Me!? Actually that sounds about right.

      Delete
  4. Have you thought about going to a chiropractor? I work for one and we treat runners for different things but "putting your hip back in place" for lack of better explanation is common. I would even try to go before your race. I doubt it will things worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? I'm going to make some calls tomorrow morning and try and get an appointment asap. Hopefully some chiropractors are open on Saturdays...

      Delete
  5. Hi Rosie. For once I'm not going to boss you around and give you advice. I'm sorry you have had a not so good week. It sounds really frustrating. Feel better, and I hope I see you on Sunday! Karydis is running in the kids race (her first) and I'll be limping through the half with my own problems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Karydis! How lucky she is, that will be fun. I hope I see you both

      Delete
  6. Ughhhh, no!

    Maybe a chiropractor would yield some good results. I know some people think they're quacks (and some of them are) but I had a really good experience with chiropractic for the hip problems I had back in high school, not that it matters. If the chiropractor is any good, there should definitely be some solid muscular PT involved in making sure the realignment "sticks."

    Hope you figure this hip bs out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I hope your hip feels better now! Sending good vibes. In other news, your hair looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, sucks. I am currently ignoring a nagging pain that will certainly become an injury myself (brilliant).
    So on the job front. That utterly blows. It's such a rough job market out there that I feel like employees just have to accept conditions because there aren't enough other options out there. My company is going through "restructuring" right now and offered many pharmacists a decreased hours package (full time at 32 hours). Most took it, even though they lost 1/5th of their pay, because the alternative was lay-offs.
    Weirdly, though, we are getting raises this year. A whopping $21 a week. Ha.
    Here's hoping your hip goes back where it should and your paycheck does, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am lamenting an injury too, except that it has taken me completely out of running. Bitch away, that's all I feel like I've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog, and I'm so sorry about your injury! I hope you are able to sort it out soon. I'm having a difficult time understanding exactly where your pain is, so this might not be remotely helpful. But just in case: I am a runner with a high hamstring tendinopathy. This is a very difficult injury to get rid of once you have it. I've had it for almost a year. I feel the pain in my high hamstring all the time, but it is dull enough that I'm not stopping running due to it. I tried that for a bit, but it didn't help whatsoever. The onset of the injury for me was trauma - a child ran out onto the track as I was speeding along. I had to stop suddenly and traumatized my right hamstring. (I was not the biggest fan of children even before this incident.) However, there is a small asymmetry in my spine/pelvis which makes my left hip just slightly higher than my right hip. My right side is under more pressure than my left when I run and over many many miles, my right hamstring was apparently bound to go on strike. The pelvic asymmetry is not at all noticeable and I needed a thorough examination to diagnose it, but ultimately it needs to be corrected or I am in for more injuries on my right side. Right now, I have sports massages on the area, stretch, doing hamstring strengthening exercises, etc. Here is a detailed article from a medical journal if you are interested: "High Hamstring Tendinopathy in Runners" http://www.agilept.com/downloads/high-hamstring-tendinopathy-in-runners.pdf. A corticosteroid injection sounds like something to look into. Also, this runner has a similar injury: http://inspirunning.blogspot.com/2012/03/ischial-tuberosity-bursitis-aka-butt.html. I'm sorry if completely misunderstood your description of your injury (in which case none of this was helpful to you). Best of luck for your recovery and your half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abby for all this. I will check out the article. I think you did understand my issue, even though I myself have trouble describing it. I think it is possibly related to asymmetry, although I could swear that for years and years there was symmetry. Maybe it is a hamstring issue, or a weak glute issue, that led to moving my hip out of symmetry. Let me know your progress, and Kids! yeesh, stay off the track!

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry you are having such a shitty week! It seems like shitty stuff always happens all at once... The work thing and your injury both piss me off though. Both are things that you definitely don't deserve!! I'm going to be thinking good thoughts that things start to look up soon, and that you run an awesome race on Sunday like I already know you will!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, I am incredibly sorry about this awful week and the pain you are experiencing. The thing is...you have other stressful things going on in your life and running was your way to deal with these things. I totally understand and I am praying for a speedy recovery for you. You look gorgeous in that mirror picture. I am always here to vent to if you need:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope your recovery comes quick and everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. booo hooo hoooo
    so sorry...this has to be frustrating.
    I am with the others...chiro...I would give that a try
    hope all goes well this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending good healing vibes to your hip. I hope your race goes as well as it possibly can given the circumstances. Injuries - especially hip injuries are the bane of my existstance. I've been dealing with a hip flexor strain for 2.5 months now. Damn thing is holding on for dear life and won't go away 100%, but at least it seems like running isn't making it worse at this point. So frustrating!

    Good luck this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man. Stupid hip. Stupid injuries in general! Here's hoping a Chiro and/or XLMIC can find the magic answer. Sending good luck for Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well sending you healing wishes for your race. It sucks, but sometimes our bodies just don't want to cooperate with us and we sadly have to let a race or two go. It hurts the ego a bit, but you'll heal up eventually and be back at it with a little bit more edge and hunger for speed.

    Cheers to XLMIC finding the miracle cure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. where did you get that dress? kids section? but where? I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had a similar problem a year ago, and after much physiotherapy/chiropractic/naturopathic treatment, it turned out to simply be a tight psoas setting off my alignment, which was caused by sitting all day, rather than by running. Holding this stretch (http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness/h_PsoasStretch.htm) for a couple of minutes on each side a few times a day has kept me pain free for months now.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!