Saturday, April 7, 2012

Micah True, and GU for you

I can't believe that the running-blog community hasn't already been swarmed with posts on this news story, and I can't believe I forgot to write anything about it too.  Maybe this already has been discussed to death and I am just behind on my blog reading?

Caballo Blanco, aka Micah True, passed away.  While out on one of his character-defining runs.  :( frowny face to the 12th power.



I go through phases where I care about reading the news, and then I won't check the news for 2 weeks and suddenly learn there is an uprising in Egypt.  Last week was one such week when I forgot to check SFgate.com for the 5th day in a row, and an attorney bounced into my office to ask if I had heard about Caballo Blanco.  (I LOVE that most of the people in my office know that they can dork out about running with me, as they all have a little bit of a runner in them.  One ran a marathon xx years ago, one does Bay-to-Breakers, one is a soccer coach, etc...).  

I was shocked.  I have 8 pages or so left in Born to Run (it's called savoring....I don't need 1.5 years to read a book normally) and it feels like the book will now forever be frozen in time.  It is destined to be incomplete for me, because this central non-fiction character, a character who was painted as, more than any other word, ALIVE, lost his life while doing the thing he is iconic for. 



Curious to learn what happened.  Although bad things can and do happen while someone is running on city streets alone (which I do regularly), I never runs trails by myself.  It sucks, because it seems very romantic and rewarding to run in silence with only the sound of your footsteps and breath out in the wilderness, but I can get lost just as easy as anyone.   Realizing you are really lost while hiking, which has happened to the Gentleman and me, is a sickening and frantic feeling.  Can't imagine how much worse it would be on your own.

One of the hikes, in Sedona, where we got a few hours off-course.

Help

VACATION PLANS

Bloggers on vacation is usually one of the most boring things that can happen.  I don't know why that is, you'd think it would be fun to live vicariously through them, but it is usually just a lot of pictures of scenery and food. 

Well I'm due for a vacation.  My last one was in June of last year, when I went to Yellowstone and Montana for a wedding (each link is to one of my vaycay recaps).  Two pictures from the wedding that I adore but never shared:

http://merydonald.blogspot.com

http://merydonald.blogspot.com

Being the national park junkies that we are, we are planning to go to Zion national park and Bryce Canyon.  Maybe top it off with a little Las Vegas.

Questions, because there is so much goddamn stuff to dig through on the internet that I am becoming overwhelmed: 
A) Any recommendations for places to stay near either Park?
B) Any must-see hiking trails or other attractions nearby?  How many days-worth of activity could I spend at each place?
C) Is Las Vegas the best airport to fly into?

Alternatively, we could book a flight to New York City.  the Gentleman has never been...so that trip is somewhere on the horizon.

RUNNING.  AND PLEASE, TAKE MY CAFFEINATED GU

Today, it was beautiful out and my weekend companion was at work (he is in the tax field) so that could only mean a leisurely long run. 

18 pretty comfortable miles done (except for the uncomfortable stuff discussed below), and you know we are inching towards summer when my visor comes out for runs and becomes stained white from sweat and sunscreen.

Embarrassing.  I wash it every 4-6 runs.  There is a white Nike swoosh under those salt crystals.

Since our food stock tends to disappear by Saturday morning (I usually grocery shop on Saturday or Sunday), I had only bad-for-running sources of food to eat before the run--an apple, string cheese, a can of chili, Trader Joe's Indian Food.  Pre-run I prefer to eat a banana and some flour-based thing like pretzels, wheat thins, a cookie, or sugar-based like jelly beans.   I took this opportunity to reach into my new bowl of neverending GU that I hoarded on Thursday.



I had a Chocolate Raspberry "2X caffeine", and took a peanut butter "no caffeine" for the road.

I guess I can only handle 1X caffeine, since I have used them before races with no problem.  2X caffeine....is....oh boy.  Let me put it this way.  I ended up crouched in some bushes about 10 yards away from a beautiful wedding.  Horrifying.

My disgusting loss is your gain, if you can handle caffeine.  Please, somebody, take these from me.

8 double-caffeinated Roctane Gus

Chocolate Raspberry and Blueberry Pomegranate
To make it worth my trip to the post office, I'll try and throw in a peanut butter GU and some other sport-related treat in there. 

To enter, pick a number between 0.00001 and 0.01.   Is that too annoying?  Fine.  To enter, just comment, and if you are commenting on some other discussion and do NOT want a caffeine-induced diarrhea run, then just say "no diarrhea please" or something to that affect.  The victor will be chosen at random by next Friday.
 

52 comments:

  1. I've never seen the chocolate raspberry Gu before...I think I can handle 2x caffeine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Gu for me...or diarrhea, thanks. I'm good. I can't give you any advice at all about any of the National Park stuff...I've been to the West Coast once or twice and know absolutely nothing. That second picture of you with the bride is GORGEOUS, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, lady, I love caffeinated Gu! I always take the 2x caffeine for races. But then, I also swill a cup of coffee right before each and every run. Or before pretty much everything. I suppose it just doesn't affect me anymore.

    Caballo Blanco...what a real runner. What a loss to the running community!

    Those are beautiful pictures from the wedding. I love your hair. You're beautiful! I also like the twisted strap detail. It looks like that is also mirrored on the waist, too, correct? Very effective detailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wrap dress, and I was untalented with it, so I picked that fairly simple design. The number of ways you can wear it is...too many.

      Delete
  4. PS: Is it maybe the roctane that's getting you instead of the caffeine? I've heard complaints that roctane is tough on the tummy, although I haven't had a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't thought of that! I thought roctane was just the name Gu gave it to evoke rock hard chemical stuff -- guess it's an energy source?

      Delete
  5. Oh no! I am sorry to hear that you had that trouble on your run. I have never tried either flavor. Would love to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love caffeinated Gu, too. Someone make 3X, pls! If there was a way to run with an IV bag filled with coffee, I'd do it. Until then I will settle with my sweet, sweet Roctane Gu.

    This morning was perfect for running ... until I woke up in my car with shorts AND compression sock tan lines. I also had to sleep off a mean headache for a few hours. But hey! It is so beautiful outside right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No bush babies for me, thanks :) I think caffeinated Gu was part of my problem in my last half marathon. Never so happy to go to Denny's before or since.

    The National Parks trip sounds way better than NYC to me...but I'm not much for giant cities...except Paris...which isn't really all THAT big. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm. I had one of those bush moments today except that it was in a ditch and it was from a steady day of CRAP food yesterday (all day travel from the other side of the country = eating shit). Good times!

    I do love the GUs though, so hand 'em over.

    I will check in with my running partner next week, as she has posted some pretty rad spring break pictures of Zion (I think?). Can find out about some running trails too, as her husband is an ultra guy and has been hitting them up over the past week. Will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, pass on the info! Flight is booked, but no hotel rooms or trails planned yet.

      Delete
    2. So... lamest info. ever, but I didn't want to blow you off. My friend point blank told me to tell you to NOT plan on running inside of actual Zion Park. Too, too, too crowded. Her husband ran outside of the park though. Inside is more hiking terrain. They were in Vegas too, but apparently you catch some shuttle from Springdale (which she said is a cute little town) to Zion. From Zion, I guess you then get on another shuttle that takes you to various trails??? She said it was super easy to figure out. They did ZERO research before they went. They loved Zion though and her pictures were awesome. ENJOY!

      Delete
  9. Oh that chocolate raspberry is one of my favourites. I love that somehow, it is slightly salty. And I have no problems with the caffeine.

    Those pictures are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't want Gu. I have a pretty good supply right now and don't need much since I'm done with marathons for the year (likely, but reading race reports makes me want to drop another $100+ on another race).

    As for vacations, I'd much rather go visit a national park than go to NYC. I do love NYC, but it's awfully hot and muggy in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! A half marathon maybe? You've got 7.5 more months to fit it in.

      Delete
  11. I love Gu Roctane! (Maybe I'll be able to comment this time. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can handle them but then the blue ones are freak-nasty. I can't stand the taste of them. At least the route had some bushes for coverage.

    I need to read that book. And I am also really curious to know the results of the autopsy. The fact that he was found half submerged in a cold stream just seems so odd to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i do not want to win one... but it does make me laugh picturing you there! I love love love the wedding photos. gorgeous. I would recommend for your next close to home trip- my dad has been hiking all the peaks in california i believe. It is his favorite topic so next time you are in town you should go get a pap smear and ask him about it.... oh wait, or I can just send you an email with all of his favorite spots in cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dad is rad, that sounds way fun. Who does he go with? I think I'll come over to your home next time you're in town and get some tips from him, so I don't have to associate CA peaks with pap smears.... ;)

      Delete
  14. I kind of super love the 2X caffeinated Gu packets! I've never had that happen to me from caffeine but it sounds pretty awful - I'm sorry!

    Also, how much / how frequently do you consume water/gu packets during long runs? I know it varies from person to person, but I don't know that many other folks that do longer runs and am curious to see what others do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years I never ate during long runs. I am a morning runner, and I'm often good on fuel with the big dinners and pre-run snack that I eat. Lately, I run with candy (I don't usually shell out the money for Gu except for races), or with $2 so I can buy a sports drink at a 7-11. The second option is especially common in the summer. Today I ran with a Clif Z-bar for the first time, and I'm undecided on how it worked. I'll try it again.

      Delete
  15. OooH! I LOVE ZION'S! It is seriously one of my favorite places on earth! I don't however, have a recommendation as where to stay because my in-laws are pretty local. Bryce Canyon is also great. You are going to have a fabulous time. When are you going to hike the Grand Canyon? I did it last fall and it was wonderful. If you ever head to Phoenix let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at Grand Canyon and Phoenix in December 2010. I cannot wait to go back...my favorite vacation of all time. No place like the GC

      Delete
  16. Oh! I should have included my favorite hikes. In Zion, I love Angel's Landing (a good, hard, hike) and the narrows if you want to walk in the river to cool off. To hike the narrows in their entirety you have to get a back country permit. Another hike I like is the overlook trail at the entrance to Zions Tunnel. It has a beautiful view of the park. Angel's Landing has the most iconic view of the park, but the overlook has a view of the whole park. Anyway, I hope you have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh no! Sorry the 2x caffeine gus didn't sit well. I like that chocolate raspberry flavor. Great pictures from your friend's wedding.

    Haven't hiked at Zion or Bryce, but they've been recommended to me! We drove through that part of the country when we moved to CA, it was so pretty. We did stop at Arches near Moab- I think that's a few hours away though. We drove along Rt 15. The northwestern corner of Arizona was beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm all over the Caballo Blanco passing - when he died on Saturday night I put a facebook message up, and then did a blog post the next day about it. Sad news, at least he went out doing what he loved. When I die, I want it to happen while I'm running a marathon when I'm 85 or something.

    For Zion or Bryce, one of my friends went to Zion last year, they loved it. I think they spent 1 day at each park. Though I bet you could easily spend 2 days at each park and have a ton of fun. My friends pictures looked great.

    Don't put me down for the gu's, I try to avoid caffeine, lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. GU is good and caffeine is better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a big fan of the 2x caffeine even though I don't drink anything with caffeine. I guess it really gives me that extra jolt since I am not used to having it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I slept for like 2 hours last night. Maybe less. I HATE CAFFEINE die caffeine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A large dose of liquor should counter the caffeine. Hit the bar. Xoxo Dr. Sesa

      Delete
  22. i don't want the goo but i wanted to say GO TO NYC...as you know it's my favorite city and you can drive a few hours outside of the city and hike and sh*t

    ReplyDelete
  23. Are they even doing an autopsy to find out what happened to Blanco?

    I would love to try your Gu.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just drive up north 3 hours from Zions and hang out with me. Girl, you are going to love Bryce Canyon, it is beyond beautiful. LOVE the pictures. VERY happy to read you never run trails alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in the best place...the most incredible earthly architecture within a half-day drive, in every direction.

      Delete
  25. I've never tried gu, but I've been curious and would definitely like to! I may be tempting fate with the 2xCaffeine, but I'm living on the Edge - I'll try them in the unlikely scenario that I win and that the vontest is open for international readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (that is supposed to read CONTEST, but stupid blogger for iphone refused to let me correct it even before the comment was posted)

      Delete
  26. Mmmmm, caffeinated gu. I will happily take that off your hands!

    I've flown to Vegas every time I've gone to Zion; I think it's your best bet. I believe I stayed at a dodgy motel in Springdale last time I went, so no recommendations on where to day, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those are my favorite Gu flavors! It's so interesting how different everyone's running routine can be. Caffeine is a mainstay of my running routine! I will gladly take those Gu's far our of your sight! :) I haven't tried the Peanut Butter ones yet, are they any good?

    I am so sad about Micah True. It seems as if he got disoriented and then as night fell and the temps dropped into the 20s, he was in a really bad situation. I am about to lose my shit on the next person who uses his death to crack a joke about running. NOT funny.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Caffeine is the only reason I get out of bed, so sign me up for this contest.

    Also, this is a super-far-after-the-fact response to your Yellowstone posts regarding bears, but don't let fears of animals scare you off from hiking! This is an interesting article about the bear that killed the hikers (sorry for the obnoxiously long link): http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/death_in_yellowstone/2012/04/grizzly_bear_attacks_how_wildlife_investigators_found_a_killer_grizzly_in_yellowstone_.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I really do need to get over my fear of bears and mountain lions so I can camp and deep hike to my heart's desire

      Delete
    2. Get good with a can of bear spray and make a lot of noise! Something tells me that other hikers get annoyed with my obnoxiously loud repetitions of "She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain," but I haven't been eaten yet so the singing shall continue.

      Delete
  29. Yay! Excited for you guys to go on vacay! I've never been to NY either and I've been saying for years that I'm going to plan a trip but we never seem to get out of California! I think either adventure sounds fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Roctane all the way! The running store near me no longer carries it though! SAD! I do love the Peanut Butter as well, but the Roctane is my BFF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I chose the number .007

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  32. I did a week long hiking trip through Bryce & Zion in 2010. We flew there, rented a car, camped out, hiked anywhere from 5-17 miles in a day, and it was one of my favorite vacations. Can I just email you? I have some great hikes/details to share with you!

    And I would just be so thrilled to enter your GU-away, so count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  33. .009!

    I want diarrhea gu! I do appreciate a little extra caffeine at the end of a race, I think it gives me a good extra little kick. I wonder how many milligrams are in the 2X. I think 100 is about what's in a normal cup of coffee, so I figure that something twice that can't kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the Roctane... except for the price. It ends up being a Gel Caste system when I'm planning my runs. The regular gels (Hammer Cappuccino, Apple Cinnamon, or Gu Chocolate Mint) go during regular runs but Roctane gets called up to the races and on the longer weekend build-up runs.

    Happy to take them off of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  35. dana (danakolesar@gmail.com)April 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM

    .00934! I'd like some gu. I've never been to any of the vacation places you mentioned, so I'm absolutely no help on that front.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I usually try to consume as much caffeine during a run as humanly possible. So much that it might be borderline illegal as a performance enhancing drug. But I guess it doesn't matter if I'm not winning medals or anything. In other words, I love me some Rotane. And I secretly wish they'd come out with pb gu with caffeine- I haven't tried it yet since it's caf free.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!