Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Running Stuff and the Bachelorette

As expected, my weak feet which are accustomed to years and years of running in highly cushioned shoes, took a shock from running 10 difficult miles in the minimal Nike Free's.  The inner arch of my left foot is sore, but in a good muscle-growing way rather than a plantar fascia way.

These bloggers both found me through the Tilden Tough Ten recap, and both have their own TTT recaps to share.  Glad to find them, as I'm always down to meet new bay area runners.

Dear race photographers: head on shots are NEVER good.  I don't care if it makes it harder to see my bib number, if you want runners to buy your pictures, take them from other angles.

from Evan Pilchik photography

oopsie on the screen shot

No speed work this week, as I count down about 10 days until my next half marathon.  The best I could manage with semi-sore legs from all the hills on Sunday was 7 miles of fartleks this morning (something like 1 minute effort, 1 minute recovery).   This fartlek run never hits me nearly as hard as a track workout.  Which is why I often choose to do it instead of going to the track.

Speaking of, ever since I started incorporating track workouts into my running routine (an average of once per week for the last 5-ish weeks), my distance running has suffered.  I haven't had the energy to run farther than 15 miles in a few weeks.  Cramping my style.

In other running news, the Gentleman has been on this new kick lately where he wants to exercise every morning with me.  It's....awesome.  I used to drag him out of bed 2-3 times per week, partially just because it was good for my morale for him to go to bed and wake up at the same time as me.  He typically runs the first 3.2 miles of my run (one shorter lap around the lake), but he also got a gym membership to my hot fart gym (no other name is more accurate...there are no gold things at Gold's Gym) so if I hit the treadmill or take it easy on the elliptical, he hits the elliptical too.  We get on machines next to each other and make out.  I mean share a sweat towel.

He doesn't run very fast (unless we sprint....then he kicks my butt) and he doesn't run very far, so you'd think this wouldn't fit into my routine....but I don't give.  I'd much rather sweat easy with him, talking nonsense about what dreams we had right after waking up, than follow some scheduled run.  I love his new addiction!

The Bachelorette

OF course I'm watching, silly.  I just haven't gotten around to gossiping about it until now.

My thoughts so far, in bullet form:
  • Emily gets told she is beautiful/gorgeous/stunning LITERALLY hundreds of times a day.  She kind of says "aww thank yeww" in her precious southern drawl, but really I don't even think it phases her.  Not even a little.  What is going on in her head?  Is she like "yeah, I know I'm the most perfect specimen ever, let's move this along," or is she like "this makes me uncomfortable and it's annoying that all anyone talks about is my beauty when what I want to be talking about is Ricki. Ricki Ricki Ricki, hi pretty girl!" or is she like "I'm having a fat day here in my size zero gown, I'm so glad everyone is telling me how beautiful I am."  Which one, guys?
oh Emily, you take all the boys' breath away

  • Kalon.  Or chopper guy.  Not to dive in so early in the game rooting for the villain, but hold the effing noose, bachelors! I'm not cool with how mean everyone is to Kalen.  Who cares if he is the 1%, you aren't allowed to hate someone just because they act rich.  Be jealous or annoyed, but stop the bullying.  (that said, he does have the face of a dickwad.  It makes him an easy villain).
Kalon, $50,000 watch

  • Jef.  What is up with Jef.  Why is he so familiar to me?  Haven't I seen him on MTV somewhere? Like in the early 2000's, on a "Next" episode?
Jef.  How do I know you??!?

  • I'm just going to go ahead and say it.  Ricki seems like a real, genuine idiot.  (Stay calm, this is meant to be funny (but true) as I greatly enjoy making fun of kids for knowing so much less than I do.  They're so dumb!).  "Pretty girl!"  Nice job Emily for making sure that your daughter knows from day one that the important thing is that she is pretty.  I'm calling it, Ricki will have an eating disorder by age 13.
Giggle giggle I don't know my words yet but I'm so pretty

  • Finally, and obviously, none of the bachelors are in Emily's league, in terms of her unstoppable beauty.  But, that may be just fine, since it seems like Emily is afraid of hot guys thanks to Brad.
But the real point is, this season is extremely stiff, thanks to barbie and all her ken dolls.  Nobody seems to have a personality.  Has anyone said anything funny or interesting this season?  Mostly a lot of "I also have a kid, pick me."  And "you're so beautiful, I realllllly think this about you more than any of the other guys do, please pick me."

Do you work out often with your significant other?
Bachelorette thoughts?

11 comments:

  1. I think you look pretty tough running that Tilden Tough Ten...the head-on shot is working in your case.

    I can't run with my husband. It bugs me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link! You look hardcore in your photos... and at least you look like you're running. I look like I'm barely speed walking in one of my pictures.

    I run with my bf about once a week. It took me a while to get used to running with someone and to know that he wasn't pressuring me to run as fast as him. But now I love it.

    As for The Bachelorette: SNOOZE FEST. I am, however, very very excited that Dolly Parton will be on the show next week. Oh, and I got excited at the preview where Emily told someone off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Next...that was probably the best concept for a dating show ever.

    I don't normally work out with my husband. We'll run together occasionally but it isn't a weekly occurrence. Though once this weekend is over and he's done with marathon training for the spring, maybe it will become a weekly thing (especially when he's still hurting from the race - that's the only time I can keep up to him :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. RoseRunner, I wanted to comment on all of your Zion/Bryce posts, but I was studying for comp exams and swore off all distractions so I'm catching up now.. looks like you two had a great week! I hope my suggestion email was helpful !!

    Yes, my BF and I run together. He is faster than me so it makes me work harder/become faster when I do speed workouts with him. We also run marathons together, which has actually been a really cool bonding experience.

    As for Emily, would I recognize her without make up? While she looks gorgeous on TV, I don't know how much natural beauty the girl has. That said, I have only seen her briefly, I have never sat down to watch the bachelor/bachelorette and I don't ever plan on it. I do think Jef (with one 'f', really?) was probably a runner up in the NSYNC auditions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Jef dude looks like Mincus from Boy Meets World, just all beefed up.

    You'll get your endurance back, promise. The speed work does take a bit of time to catch up with you, probably longer then you'd expect. But your long run mojo will be back and better then ever soon enough. The body is weird and has a hard time building endurance and speed simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that I didn't have anything in my mouth for "hot fart gym" or I would have sprayed my computer. Thanks for the early morning laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw man I'm jealous! I can't hardly get Nick to even go on a walk with me. He's so anti-exercise it's not even funny! I find it's so helpful to have a partner to exercise with though. So much more motivating!

    Oh and I miss you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first photo looks goo; very aggressive. The second, not so much. The second one reminds me of nearly every race photo I see of myself only my eyes are half closed or I look like I'm about to die.

    I started working out at a community college back in September doing spin and boot camp. My wife was lazy and wouldn't sign up with me so I got her the classes for her birthday and then again for christmas and now she loves it. We do boot camp two days a week together now and it has really brought us closer. We also run races together, usually on Saturdays. She sticks to 5Ks and is working on running the whole thing without stopping but just going together is fun even if we don't actually run together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look totally hard core in that first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. workout with Bill...no thank you. he does not run anyway and even if he did it would still be no.

    Bacherolette: of course I watch. come on!!! ok the pretty girl thing gets on my nerves and well she is not THAT pretty but I do like Emily...she is just so darn nice and pretty :). I dont think she is faking this.

    My bet is on race car driver forget his name..Ari..something like that.
    Chopper guy will go home as soon as the topic of kids will come up...

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!