Monday, June 18, 2012

Bubbles

Just some running thought bubbles today.

1) I can no longer run with a running headband without getting a headache.  So after years of running with an elastic band to tame the flyaways, I have given the thing up, and it turns out nothing bad happens when you run with flyaways.  I thought I would lose my eyesight and run in figure-8's in the street with my wisps flying in my face.  (No, I'm not interested in trying a "Bic Band".  Out of principal at this point.)

2) I've been running without the Garmin a few days a week lately, and besides the fact that I fear losing track of time in the morning, it is a lovely break for my wrist.  I feel like I run faster on days without the watch...

3) I think I will sign up for a trail half marathon that is taking place near Santa Cruz in late August.  Sounds cool, right?  I need to buy some trail running shoes....never owned a pair.  Recommendations welcome.

4) I ran 800m repeats at the track last Thursday, the morning after burning up my calves by climbing this insaaaane 1.3ish mile hill (twice!) with my sister from another mister.  I aimed for seven 800m repeats with a one-lap recovery, at 3:00-3:05, and more or less succeeded. 

3:04; 3:03; 3:01; 3:00; 3:01; 3:02; 3:01.

My goal is to eventually run 10 repeats at 3:00 or less, which as you've probably heard, would be a solid Yasso workout.  Do I believe that will mean I am ready for a 2:59 marathon? No, not really.  The more I hit the track, the more my long runs suffer, so I don't think that is the magic ingredient.  But it is a fun goal, so I'm going to try and do it.

5) This might be a touchy subject, so I'm only going to share my superficial thoughts on it.  In the past few years, I have watched many friends and family (in real life), and friends/strangers on the blog world, grow little babies inside their belly.  Just miracles and stuff. 

I've noticed that some women (who are all in relationships) have husbands that keep their activity level on an even keel with their pregnant wife--that is to say, if the wife can't hike far, the husband turns back to the car with her instead of marching on and saying "sayonara!".  I've also watched pregnant runner(s) whose husband(s) adopt a (seemingly new) love for hard training while the wife is pregnant and she is slowing her workouts down. 

Me? If I was pregnant (which all sources say will likely never happen), I would be so green about having to be the one with the ovaries, the swelling body, the run-turned-into-a-waddle, so jealous of my baby-daddy who doesn't have to do anything but grow a sympathy belly...that I don't think it would fly if he was off running 60+ mile weeks while I was squeezing out a slow 10.  This applies to ME, and the the dynamic of a relationship like mine, where my guy never runs more than me to begin with.  I can understand a situation where the guy was always a hardcore triathlete or something.  But for a guy to choose the time period when his lady is pregnant to pick up the training...seems unthoughtful.  I swear I'm not high maintenance.

6) I have, ohhhh, about one week left to decide if I really want to bite the bullet and do the 1.5 mile swim from Alcatraz.  I was gung ho about it a month ago. The real thing holding me back is the price tag.  It is about 3x what I would pay for a running race (and about 10x more than I would pay to run a race "for fun"), and there is no incentive for placing and reaping some of the cost back in prizes! Plus, I would be doing it with the Gentleman....so double the cost.  Anyway.  I have to decide this week so that I, uh, have the time to learn how to swim in open water.

7) Not relevant, but I had this thought tonight: I wish badly that every chocolate bar ever made was also made in white chocolate.  White chocolate Snickers! White chocolate Baby Ruth!  White Chocolate 100 Grand! Oh dear.  That would be my jackpot.

8) My niece is still cute.  And I learned something about my dad on Father's day that made me realize what a stud he is.  Something intimidating, manly, and bold that caught me off guard.  Go dads!



9) It was over 90 degrees on Saturday, and so I chose to go running at...11:00 a.m.  When I got home from 16 sweaty miles, all I could do was nap.  I don't know how you Boston marathoners did it in the 88 degree (or more?) weather in April.  Heat saps the life right out of you.

And I'm ending on 9 just to drive you crazy.  What's your 9 running thought bubbles, tee heeeee???? (fake question).

29 comments:

  1. If you're asking bolded fake blog questions, we're supposed to comment with OMG I LOVE YOUR BLOG FOLLOW ME BACK XOXOXO right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad and his granddaughter look pretty amazingly adorable together.

    Babies are pretty awesome. Just do like I did and wait until you're really old to have them. Get all that fun stuff out of the way...run your 2:45 marathon and all that...then have the babies. I was NEVER a babies person until I had my own. And it actually took me until the 3rd one to really be a baby-lover. That's why I had to have the 4th...to enjoy the baby part.

    And this week...THREE-PEAT! THREE-PEAT! THREE-PEAT! what day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the brook cascadia 7 (not 6'sthey suck even if u find them onsale) are a great place to start with trail runners. Very light (not minimalist shoes just light weight) and they are road n trail so u can take part of ur trail run on pavement without worrying about distroying the lugs. Not waterproof though. A good road/trail waterproof is salomon xr crossmax. Buy um at rei and u can return them if u hate them or quit trail running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the sound of light-but-not-minimalist trail shoes. Cascadia 7's noted.

      Delete
  4. You always write exactly what I am thinking!!!! #5!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blog lurker here - I completely completely agree. Number 5. Wow.

      Delete
  5. It seems to me that pregnancy is a good time for the non-pregnant parent to live it up training wise. It's not like he's taking the last miles off the shelf at the store.

    It's critical to be a good sport about stuff so you can use it as leverage to go out for long runs once the baby arrives. You have to think macro versus micro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are you so sane? I would likely be stuck in micro world. 9 months sounds like forever....and Jessica Simpson proved that it is

      Delete
  6. Have no reply. Can only come up with 8 bubbles.

    My hair is a wispy disaster, too. I can't abide headbands. I tried one once, and brilliant me, wore it the first time for a marathon. It gave me a booming headache and slid off my head the whole time. I should have just pitched it at mile 3, the first time it popped off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. true that about white chocolate. That's why I gasm every time those damn white chocolate covered oreos come out once a year. And that training envy? Only you and hardcore athletes rose...the only thing I would be jealous of is if he was eating sushi and drinking wine while my legs got swollen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. White chocolate. Ew. Not worthy of the chocolate name...it should be called something else so that it doesn't sully the name of chocolate.

    I've thought something similar about drinking. I feel like if I have to give up drinking for 10 months while pregnant, he should not be allowed to drink in front of me or mock me by drinking a delicious micro brew while I drink water. Maybe I'll make a rule that it is Budweiser (sorry for those of you who find that to be an acceptable beverage) or nothing if he's going to drink in front of me. (not that I'm pregnant - but maybe one day)

    As someone with bangs, I need a headband when I run - but yeah, I've had to work hard to find non-headache headbands that will still stick to my head. I'm glad the world didn't stop for you without a headband - I'm pretty sure I'd lose my mind if my bangs were stuck to my forehead the entire run...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i had to give up the headbands awhile back for the same reason, i can wear one every now and then but not for longer then an hour. it's strange. i've begun to tame my tresses with twisties. just dampen the hair and twist back into braids or other funky things, works just as well and makes it look like you actually thought about how your hair looks. it's a good cover.

    rarely ever rock the garmin anymore, and it's nice to not have that hideous watch tan. and yasso's...i don't believe in them. i think it's a crack-o-shit. there really is no correlation between 800's and marathons, and the entire concept kinda throws me off a bit. but, whatever works i suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh trail shoes... I run in the Montrail RockRidge and the Brooks Cascadia. But if the trail that you'll be on is not technical or rocky, then I wouldn't go with those, they're too burly and are meant for traction and rock protection. I would argue with the Cascadia being a road/trail shoe, if I run on road even a mile to get to a trail my feet hurt because they are too cushioned for the road and the lugs are a pain on road. If you have a narrow foot, you can check La Sportiva, but they run small and narrow and they make my foot fall asleep. Merrell and Salomon make good shoes, and my first trail shoe was a Saucony ProGrid Exodus which I enjoyed, but once again is made for more protection against rocky trails. I tend to stay away from waterproof shoes. It's true that they keep water out, but they also don't let it back out if it happens to get into your shoe and they don't breathe well. Bad news if it's hot out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing these down along with the Cascadias! Thank you!

      Delete
  11. i will be an immense help here. trail shoes. mizuno cabrakans. take it on my good authority. because i've worn mine twice. and one of those times was actually on a trail. you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's high praise for the Cabrakans. With that name, they sound like they should be awesome...

      Delete
  12. What did you find out about your Daddio?? Inquiring minds want to know! No wonder I couldn't rouse you on Saturday. 16 miles in that heat and anyone would need to nap hard. Miss hanging out with you already!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree about the pregnancy related running thing. I think I would also enforce a no coffee or booze for my man too. Like, you got into this together. You're already shouldering most of the physical burden. I think watching my man do all the things I wanted to but couldn't would make me ragey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. J hasn't changed hit fitness at all since I got pregnant and honestly, it never even occurred to me to care. I do what I can and I'm trying really hard to be content with that. It isn't forever and I'm not going to begrudge him his favorite hobbies just because I'm slowed down. Besides, he'd be a grumpy ass if he didn't get to play tennis.

    I will say that it is awkward going to dinner now when I have to stick to water and he can order whatever he wants. We went out for sushi last week and I pouted the whole time because I got stuck with decaf green tea and cooked rolls while he can drink sake and eat raw fish. That does kind of suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to a reputable sushi place, the raw stuff is probably safe. I ate sushi while pregnant on the okay of my doc. No supermarket or food truck stuff…only the freshest of the fresh. Or something like that.

      Delete
    2. No way!? Based on this one-person case study, if you ate sushi while pregnant...then...sushi makes really ridiculously good looking babies.

      Delete
  15. You should check out North Face's Double Track or Single Track shoes. I'm not a super experienced trail runner by any means but I have two pairs of the Double Track. They are comfortable, my feet stay cool, and give a lot of protection from rocks and other stuff you run on in a trail run.

    My wife and I didn't want to have kids until a year ago. She got pregnant (despite being on the pill) and EVERYTHING changed. Unfortunately we miscarried after 7 weeks. My wife is now obsessed with having the pregnant feeling again and I got used to the idea of possibly being a dad but I'm kinda scared in a selfish way of changing my entire life to suit another life form which is exactly what I would do.

    When I run, I sometimes think of how cool it would be to run with my child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is fascinating to me. I've often wondered what would happen to my brain if I accidentally got pregnant. I guess nature kicks in, for the baby's sake, and makes you melt. My boyfriend and I were both soccer studs, so I have fleeting thoughts of how athletic a hypothetical kid would be. I wish you and your wife the best whether your family grows or not, and sorry to hear about the miscarriage :(

      Noting the North Face trail shoes, thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  16. Trail shoes -- as others above have mentioned, it really depends on the terrain. Lots of rocks (big and small), steep hills, roots, etc. = go for better traction (big lugs) and thicker soles. Me, I'd take thinner soles and a lighter shoe any day, as long as the shoe offers enough protection. I just got a pair of Merrell Pace Gloves, which I'm loving for the most part -- good protection and traction, but I can still feel the ground. Merrell also makes a 4mm drop Base Glove, in case you don't want to transition all the way to zero. Not sure you should care about waterproof-ness as much as breathability -- you're running a half, not an ultra through a creek, right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Honestly I was the pregnant mom who wanted to do NOTHING. I ate healthy and wasn't pounding ice cream and pickles all day long but I had no desire whatsoever to run. I sat in the pool and would kinda paddle around to pretend but basically I stood on the edge with a magazine. I couldn't care less if my husband was off working out. I don't know why but my aggressive go getter personality was gone during pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. Bet you were adorable pregnant...just drifting in the pool

      Delete
  18. What's the beef with Bic Bands? I know they are shilled on every blog, but I gotta say...they are pretty good at staying in place and they are run by one lady (so a small family business) who gives a lot of her profits to charity.

    Just sayin' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sounds rad, and I'm sure the business isn't hurting since all of us know of it. Alas, as with Nuun which has never wronged me, I knee-jerk away when I see too many product plugs on lil ole blogs. And too many sparkles....

      Delete
    2. I have to say they work well - I would likely not have bought one, either, out of cheapskate-ness but Sandy gave us Ragarnarians a couple and I am now a convert. Anyway, she is not a big corporation and she sells them cheaper than the other people do (since there are several people selling the same thing). And the percentage she donates of the price (10%) is about as high as I've ever seen for retailers.

      I have not, however, changed my tune about Lulu. Out of principle I do not own any lulu.

      Delete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!