Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Classic Running Blogger

Today I did the most running-blogger-iest thing that a running-blogger could do.

I geeked out.  With a famous runner.

A famous runner is someone who would not make 99.89% of the population turn their head, because to 99.89% of the population, they are a nobody.

Knowing of "famous" runners is new to me.  Two years ago, a time during which I had been running for for a solid 14 years, the only runners that I could name were Michael Johnson and Jackie Joyner Kersey.  Maybe I knew that Jared Leto played some skinny guy with a 'stache in a movie called Pre.  At some point, Marion Jones was on my radar.  That's about it.

Now, thanks in part to my love of Runner's World magazine, and thanks to this blog connecting me to a bunch of you running nerds, I've got some new names in my vocab.  I know the women and the alternate from USA that are running the marathon at the London Olympics.  I know the names of the fastest women in the bay area (and would spaz out a little if I ever saw Oakland's own Olympian, Magdalena Lewy-Boulet, running around my hood).

So having rambled about nothing important thus far in this post, I bring us to this: when Alyssa mentioned that Scott Jurek was making a book tour pit-stop in San Francisco that included a group fun run, I felt like how a baseball fanatic might feel if they learned they could play catch with Tim Lincecum.  For free.  (With 100 other fanatics).   I felt like saying DUH, YES!

Things to note:
  • Scott Jurek is tall.  Very tall.  Skinny little legs.  All around, he looked like he came right out of a 1980's college cross country team. 
  • One token guy in the group who showed up to run, ran in sandals.  I think some people might think Scott Jurek is Caballo Blanco.
  • I didn't buy a copy of his book, because long story short I didn't have my wallet.  I'd like to hear about it, if anyone has read it or heard a review, let me know!
  • The Gentleman came with me, which was awfully fun.  

Well I also did one very non-running-blogger-y thing.  I didn't take any pictures.  I didn't have a camera with me.  Neither did the Gentleman.  So that's that, but he looked like Scott Jurek, and I looked like me.  Here's an idea of what our picture together would look like.



So that was fun and I'm glad I sucked it up and drove into the piss-pot covered in fog that is San Francisco.  We ran something like 4-5 miles.  Scott Jurek is slow as shit.  Ok ok, running in a group of 100 people makes for a slower run, and maybe he's not a big old slowpoke.   I didn't mind a bit, just soaked in the good company and the most beautiful time of day in San Francisco (that would be 7:30 p.m.).

I hit the track yesterday morning and decided that I like track workouts, but I only like them when they aren't too hard because I guess I don't like to push it too much in my world of running and that's just the way it is.  So I did 11x400m (I think this is my favorite track workout...probably because it's easier) with a half-lap recovery in between each.  I ran a few degrees below HARD, which definitely helped me finish the workout without walking during the recoveries or taking any water breaks etc.  Splits were as follows:

82; 84; 84; 84; 85; 84; 86; 86; 82; 82; 84

One day I'll feel like more of a rockstar and run them all under 82 seconds.  Not today.

Alright runners, that's all for me.

P.S. The Gentleman noticed that blogs often have questions at the end, and in the spirit of being a classic running blogger, he suggested I ask the following question:  Prefontaine, or Postfontaine?

18 comments:

  1. Cool! I ran with him and listened to his talk last night in Seattle. I was surprised by how tall he was too. Maybe there's hope for me in the ultramarathon world. He ran pretty slow with us too. Said something about starting out in front an drifting back to get a chance to run with everyone. People were all fanboy so I just kept going right past him. Really nice guy though.

    I'm 1/3 through the book and I like it so far. I like his unpolished writing style. He doesn't paraphrase the profanity or clean it up. The chapters are short and leave me wanting just a little more. So far the recipes are so/so. I hope they improve.

    So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how The Gentleman is trying to turn you into a generic blogger with the question thing...but then giving it a hipster Oaktown twist by having it be a bogus question that looks real. Tell him I approve.

    Did you run in that dress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I love your question.
    Cool that you met Scott Jurek. The only running star I've met is Danny Dreyer, and I told him I made fun of him all the time (it's true, spilling your chi is now an inside joke with us).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am starting to love 400's. I'm slow at them compared to some other distances but they are short and sweet and I feel like they make a difference in my speed.

    Prefontaine. I like his spirit of B.A.ness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just think its bad ass that you count 400s in seconds rather than umm minutes (ie I was took mine the other day as 1:37 -- which I guess is 97 seconds, go me).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of Scott Jurek and his ilk, do you have any plans of getting into ultra running? I feel like you could really be a monster at that stuff. And you'd probably love the trail element that so many of them offer... (er... not that I've ever run an ultra or know anything about them, I just run with people who do?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think he was going to do a tough workout with 100 random runners...

    I am actually reading his book right now and am loving it. In fact I stayed up way too late last night reading it. He talks a lot about the mental aspect of running and nutrition, both topics I need to improve on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, it was a "fun run" -- I thought it would be funny to write those words: that one of the most badass runners of our generation was slow. For the sake of accommodating all us fan-runners, he was. Slow for a badass, that is.

      I think I'll be buying the book...

      Delete
  8. Haha I think this is your first post that I have almost nothing to respond to because of my total lack of running knowledge. So my comment today will be: I loved your use of the word piss-pot, and I still think your new hair looks fierce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am I the only person who thinks Scott Jurek is dreamy? Or why has nobody else offered this searing commentary yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the only one. I think it's his hair.

      Delete
  10. just saw a girl running the other day wearing the infamous "stop pre" tee and thought that it was a bit odd that those are still in production. missed sj when he was here in chitown, but there apparently were 100+ people who meet up for his fun run so i don't think we would have been able to have spent much qt together anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing final question. You'll be a real blogger yet! All I know if that Scott Jurek runs a lot (right? Ultramarathoner?) so I don't think I would be all that excited to run with him. Although it would make decent blog fodder, so maybe....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ran "with" him in Seattle on Tuesday, though I was too speedy and wanted to run way more than the legendary ultra runner/slacker. I didn't even know he was going to be there, I was just going for my normal Tuesday night group run. While I had my phone with me, I'm too weird and awkward to take photos of food or celebrities for my blog. Not something I think I want to get over. Anyway Scott was a super nice guy, and agreed, he is really tall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol, you are hilarious as usual. Postfontaine for sure! And that is an awesome 400 workout you did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just read this... you are so funny. I wish my blog could be slightly as cool as yours. :)

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!