Monday, June 25, 2012

I recommend

Advice from a blogger girl behind a computer screen is something none of us need.  So let's not label any of this advice: consider this me sharing my amateur observations of late that you may find useful or interesting.

I recommend...

Kristen Lawrence's blog.

GET THIS.  She is a BAMF runner.  You need proof?  She already has a 2:52 marathon under her belt, and after obliterating some injury issues, is back to racing and aiming to shave off a few minutes until she has a 2:42 marathon in time to qualify for the 2016 Olympic marathon trials.

Not only is she an incredibly talented runner, but she is as humble as they come and doesn't like talking about herself or posting pictures of herself racing, which we all have to convince her to change because reading about her training and running makes for a very good time.  Sorry to make you squirm, Kris ;)

Finally, for some completely unknown reason, she likes reading and engaging in the blogs of non-Olympian runners (like mine).  Oh, and she balances this with three children.  I'm not sure if that's her only job or not.  And she's hot.  I'm going to steal her life, shhhh.

I do not recommend....

the Skinny Confidential.

It would be straight up bitchy of me to say "don't read this other blog out there" so let me try and rephrase: if you are a healthy strong runner, and if your brain works to some degree the way my brain works, blogs like this (and there must be hundreds of 'em) make me sad.

I found the blog because it was featured on Sarah's blog, and I gave it a try.  It reads like something I would have enjoyed back in college, living in Los Angeles, seeing how all the thin blonde girls live.

Now that I'm a grown-up, blogs with dieting tips from a (too) thin, young, model-esque girl makes me fear for the young girls on the internet.  There will always be blatant thinspiration/eating disorder support blogs out there....but this is a brand of subtle eating disorder support shielded under the guise of just being fun "tips" for how to make lunch for only 200 calories!

In the world this blogger comes from, with skinny girls left and right, these probably don't strike the author as unhealthy or unusual.  They are just the facts of how to maintain a 5-inch circumference upper arm.  But in the real world, this has gotta ultimately lead to self-hate for readers who don't look or eat the way that the Skinny girl does (and the vast majority of women naturally should not look this way).  Anyway.  Despite my non-endorsement of the blog, I'm sure it will get a good number of clicks from my discussion and some of you may even stay to read (if only for the entertainment value).  So I've served no purpose here, except maybe to get a conversation going.  Go.

I recommend....

Root Beer See's lollipops.

source


I heard recently that people in some European country (Britain maybe?) dislike the taste of root beer flavor because that is what they flavor their medicine.

Luckily for me, everything tastes more delicious with a Root Beer drink on the side (even Mexican food, as proven this weekend during a belated father's day outing).  I also love See's lollipops, as I've probably mentioned too many times.  This isn't a contender with the Butterscotch lollipop, but it always makes me happy to find one in my desk around 2 or 3:00 p.m. on a workday.  Type type type, suck suck suck. (TWSS?)

I do not recommend....

Root Beer gum.



I had high hopes.  Non-mint gums never, ever, ever, EVER work out for me.  But I never learn.  So I tried it, and it was not tasty. The only way to save this gum is to erase the root beer flavor and replace it with spearmint or peppermint, and then we're all good.

I recommend....

Grabbing a handful of Trader Joe's dried/sweetened strawberries before a run.



It's been a while since I had dates on hand to bring with me during a long run or a race, but they worked so well that I assume other dried and sugar-heavy fruits will work well too.  I haven't had the chance yet to try these during a run, but they worked perfectly before a run and are REALLY YUMMY.  Working on my food writing vocabulary.

I do not recommend...

eating a Cliff Z-bar 6 minutes before running.  It is so small, I thought my stomach could handle it.  Turns out this is not at all the same as eating a quick shot of sugar or half a banana, which I can do while running without any problems.  My body attended to digesting that thing and made for an uncomfortable first 5 miles of a 15 mile run on Sunday.

source


I recommend...

Kiehl's Super Fluid liquid sunscreen.



I have never had a drip-into-eye attack while wearing this on my face, not even on the sweatiest of days.  It also goes a long way--I've had it since Christmas 2011, and worn it regularly (only on the face, I save the yuckier sunscreens for my body) at least 2x a week since.

My boss also recommended a kind of sunscreen called something frog....or maybe toad....that is from Australia and very hard to find in the U.S., but apparently a superior sunscreen.  Anyone heard of this?

I do not recommend...

Running between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., which is exactly when I do almost all my weekend runs.  Despite my best sunscreen efforts, I have a mad block tan on my legs.

You can see the beginnings of my saucy white upper thigh


I recommend...

Fiona Apple's new album.

Setting aside the fact that she looks like the crypt keeper nowadays (watch the video for proof...), Fiona Apple is probably the coolest chic in the U.S.  Especially if you measure "cool" by how talented one is at song-writing/piano-playing/sing-growling.



I do not recommend...

Purchasing Adele's album.

Just turn any radio station on for 24/7 Adele songs.  No reason to shell out the bucks.

45 comments:

  1. Root beer gum? Vile.

    Rose gave me, like, a case of zbars. I almost brought one to RNR Seattle. Glad I forgot. Fruit ropes seemed to work just fine, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roserunner, I know you run mainly for fun but have you ever considered doing hardcore marathon training to smash your previous PR? I only ask because I see the progress that Kris Lawrence made and you have similar speed/endurance based on your marathon times.

    Adele is another good artist who's music has been ruined (for me) by being overplayed on the radio; I can't stand her songs now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Answer: I don't see myself ever running with a coach, and can't seem to bring myself to train with a team. But, I do plan on smashing PR's as long as my body will let me! I don't have the drive to ever see the sub 2:50 world though...I don't want it bad enough for the required commitment

      Delete
    2. At least you know what you want!

      Delete
  3. I'm Australian and have used this sunscreen on my pasty white exterior and it has been sufficient in protecting me from the suns rays down here! I wouldn't recommend buying it from an australian website, but found this for you that is for Americans to order / buy from (especially since shipping from Australia would cost far too much!) I hope this helps if this is the type you were looking for!

    http://www.bullfrogsunscreen.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be it! It's gotta be this or the lizard one a couple others commented about below. I want to try them both, and go full reptile

      Delete
    2. Bullfrog sunscreen is a big pharmacist favorite. I actually can't make promises since I haven't tried it but word behind the counter is it works.

      Delete
  4. Are you sure you aren't referring to Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen? I don't think bullfrog is made in Australia. In any case, it is a cool name and sure to be a good conversation starter.

    http://www.crownlaboratories.com/bluelizard/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my new icebreaker. Have you heard? Blue Lizard?

      Delete
  5. Definitely putting the See's root beer lollipop on my list of things to try.

    BTW, on a completely unrelated note, I went by Laney College today, around 5pm. The track was open (Yay!) but as soon as I stepped on the track, a man (coach of some sort?) told me he was closing the track in 5 minutes (Boo!). Alas, I don't think it's open to the public. I was sad times 100.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your Kris Lawrence recommendation. In fact I sometimes find myself a little frustrated reading her blog because she is so low-key and I'm like DUDE! TELL ME MORE ABOUT HOW AWESOME AND HARDCORE YOU ARE!

    Have you ever tried dried mangoes? Totally addicted to those at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer my dried mango with chili powder, which would probably make me choke as a running/pre-running snack...but I like this one. It's less sticky than most dried fruits, better for running short pockets!

      Delete
  7. I love Kris's blog. I love reading about her workouts and I don't think she has ever taken a picture of oatmeal haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roserunner- I don't know why you posted that last post about how you think this is a terrible blog. I happen to think yours is one of the best! For me, I'm not out looking for some exercise suggestions, or ways to eat chia seeds, or recipes for those breakfast cookie things that look like dog barf. I just want something to make me laugh, from the perspective of a 20/30's woman who has a real job, has a higher-education and more than 6-brain cells, and is honest. You are all of these things! Also, I like to hear about your running/racing cause I run, but sometimes I skim those running details cause I just want to read some funny comments/ideas/stories from you (also I like your funny pictures). Also I appreciate that you have an affiliations except talking about stuff that you buy with your own money (or win from being fast!) or stuff that you just genuinely like, not because someone sent it to you.

    PS I don't know who Joseph H is but he's right :D!!

    PPS I don't care if you aren't looking for compliments cause I'm giving you one anyways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops, meant to say have "no" affiliations

      Delete
    2. Christina, thank you for the compliments. I'm pretty sure it will always be uncomfortable for me to read my old thoughts, who knows why....

      Delete
  9. I really can't do gum that isn't mint flavored unless it's a classic bubblegum flavor. I love TJ's dried fruit, but sadly I'm moving to a place where there's no TJ's. I guess I need to stock up before the move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I found Kris's blog through the comments on your blog awhile back and man that girl is my idol. I love humble speedsters, especially when they are a running mama!

    A few weeks ago I stumbled onto a whole weird world of eating disordered support in twitter, and it truly broke my heart. Tiny tiny girls post their little measurements and what they want to get down to and do the same thing as that site, just share ways to get thinner and thinner. I hate that this exists and as someone who also struggled with disordered eatin patterns for several years in my younger days, I have a hard time with the negative support that the Internet provides.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your check is in the mail. Just kidding. Your blog has been a favorite of mine forever but I honestly had no idea you even knew I existed. I am so flattered! You made my day! Super thankful you posted me higher on your list than gum....Super thankful you post all the things I want to say but don't. ;) By the way, if The Skinny Confidential comes to kick my @ss because of this post, you better have my back. Now I'm off to search for Root Beer lollipops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dana (danakolesar@gmail.com)June 26, 2012 at 8:02 AM

      Heehee ... you're famous, Kristen! I can vouch that Kristen is awesome in real life, as well as online. :)

      Delete
    2. I even recommend your comments, I'm gonna go write up a post one this one. Go Team Kris!

      Delete
  12. If the sunscreen in question is Bullfrog, you can get that just about anywhere (at least you can in Illinois). So I am guessing that isn't it. I don't know that it is from Australia. Anywys, thanks for the Kiehl's recommendation, I didn't know there was anything that wouldn't sting my eyes to death but this is definitely worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am pretty sure you are talking about Blue Lizard sunscreen. My crazy friend spend an insane amount of money having it shipping from Australia a few years ago. You can buy it here now (I always see it in CVS), although I wonder if the formulation is different.

    Kris left a comment on my blog last week and I squealed in delight that someone that badass would even take a look my ramblings!

    There are sadly SO many blogs like the SC out there. I won't mention them because I don't want to give them pageviews but they are causing SO much damage. Eating 1000 calories a day might make a girl think they look awesome, but will eventually lead to fatigue, muscle breakdown, a slowed metabolism, and possibly even osteoporosis (just to name a few). I wish there was some way to get through to them that this is NOT healthy living. :(

    BTW, do not try the Chocolate Mint gum. It is equally as vile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it must be Blue Lizard! I heard the same thing about people stock ordering it in the states. ixnay on the chocolate mint gum, got it.

      Delete
  14. Hurray! I love new running blog recommendations for people who are unpretentious about their running.

    I recently read an article about Pinterest fueling the thinspiration phenomenon and it broke my heart. I can't even begin to say I understand what these girls are going through, but I hope through blogs like yours and other truly healthy people out there that they realize being HEALTHY trumps being THIN any day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not as much in love with See's lollipops as I am with the Awesome Peanut Brittle. The lollipops are good at the start but there's just too much and I feel like I don't want to finish an entire one. Now I want Awesome Peanut Brittle. Darn it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO TRUE. We go nuts over the brittle (pun). I heard they now make a cashew brittle? I think?

      Delete
  16. Yay! A fellow Fiona fan. I'm a huge fan but have been waiting for the album to be available on Spotify because I'm cheap.

    Love all your other recommendations too. Especially the sunscreen one. I wear moisturizer with sunscreen but when I sweat it drips down into my face and my eyes and messes up my contacts and it's a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it is my country where we don't have root beer anything due to its medicinal connotations. There are lots of US foods that I wish the UK would adopt though...but not root beer! Each to their own :)

    I don't know about that Skinny Confidential website - I can judge it all I want but at the same time having a bit of 'excess' is just as bad for running as being underweight, and in periods of injury quite frankly I could do with some 200 calorie lunches. This may make you laugh, cry or want to stab me, but I was most disappointed when I clicked over to the site and searched for about half an hour for the 200 calorie lunch tips, then couldn't find them!

    I tried a Z-Bar before Body Pump once. Never again - I'm sure it's the gluten/oats in them but I was lucky to make it through that class without have to dash off to the bathroom (sorry...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me laugh. Not stab. Wish you much love and NO root beer, as always....

      Delete
  18. The SC blog is the kind of stuff I pray my 16 year old daughter never finds on the internet. Or never finds fascinating. It really is just plain sad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a fun read! Thanks! Kristen's times amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thinspiration blogs give me a case of the sads. The meals on that blog are SO itty-bitty. Juices in itty-bitty cups! Itty-bitty meals in itty-bitty bowls.

    And the itty-bitty ice cream spoons were THE WORST. Someone fetch me my smelling salts ...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the blog recommendation - I'll have to check it out.

    Root Beer anything is gross to me. I feel like I should like it, but I just don't.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Came upon your site from Kris's blog....nice little cross-referral action going on, lol. Love your blog and this post...looking forward to reading more! You're hella fast....and hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ditto on the comment above. Great blog, I will be adding to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found your blog from Kris' post today and just wanted to say hi! I think your blog is super fun (after reading around) and was nodding and laughing at all your "stir the pot" posts. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE Kris's blog!! and YOURS!
    and I love Z-bars, but the fiber gets me if I eat one right before running. it cracks me up at the things my stomach can and cannot handle while running..
    I hope your week is going great, I'm about to send you the dates I will be in Napa! :)
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I bit and read a little of that thinspo blog. No, no, no. Just a lame way to try and make disordered eating glamorous.

    I'm finding that there are fewer blogs than ever to read because so many people try to make their life look perfect. I don't know why.

    Off to read Kris' blog. I can only dream of running that fast.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love KLaw's blog :) I get it emailed to me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't judge skinny confidential because I haven't read it, because I don't have time to waste on something with that title. Really, I don't. Being skinny doesn't interest me. Being muscular does, though. But muscle confidential sounds weird. Actually it sounds like a supplement, probably something to treat urinary urgency or incontinence.
    I am not a soda drinker, since I don't really like sweet beverages (a rare egg nog is about it for me), but if I do have soda it's root beer. I think it complements spicy flavors well. I made a chicken glaze with root beer and those spicy chinese chilis once and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So glad you posted about kris' blog, because I LOVE her blog, and now I've found our blog - enjoying reading through your posts! You definitely aren't afraid to speak your mind, and I like that. Looking forward to reading more:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. sorry, typo - *your blog, not "our" blog:)

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!