Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Loose Ends

There is not much left that can be said in revisiting Monday's post, given the large amount of contributions and varying opinions, all of which I really appreciated and which made for a highly entertaining day for me.  However, as this is my territory, I'll take a stab at the last word with these final thoughts, in summary, before it lays to rest.

First: of the many thoughts voiced, a lot were in line with ChaCha's, who stole my thunder by being smarter and more eloquent than I about the whole situation. Go see what she had to say if you haven't already.

Second: a lot of people hate the term "runboner".  The comments were hijacked by this conversation, which I have no problem with at all--that comment box is a free for all.  The strong sentiment that developed amused me when I pondered whether runboner will be one of those search terms that brings a lot of unsuspecting internet browsers to a running blog, looking for pictures of men who wear soft fabrics while running, aroused.  

Third:  I noticed that the discussion thread almost became a forum of thoughts that were directing a strong message to Oiselle, in case they were checking in.  If you're wondering whether Oiselle eavesdropped, or cares at all about the reaction that happened here to their contest....I have no firm answer.  I did receive a "thanks for the video entry!" email from Oiselle yesterday, within which it was made clear that the email author had recently been to my website in order to find my email address.  But, no mention of the post, so...I have no idea if they heard your message.

Finally, since again this is my platform, my blog, I think it's worth taking a moment to make one thing clear and evoke a sentiment that I hope came across last time, which is that I really like Sarah OUaL, have nothing ill at all to speak of Emily, and I don't care at all what words are in their written blog vocabulary.  I'm guessing "runboner" was intended to be a funny way to summon the image of how much spastic love one has for the sport, which is hard to convey in writing.  It may not be the most graceful term, but whatever.  Sarah and I had a good adult mature talk, so it turns out we can both be graceful.  All is good.

***

Flashback to the funnest-yet-maybe-most-tragic half-marathon I have run yet.  Here is a saucy photo of me and my favorite bike lead Mary, followed by Ray.  Ray is the man who got to run many miles of the dang thing with me, fake win the whole thing, and then get none of the awesome schwag I do because he is a man.  (Men don't count towards the final results, sucka).  Poor Ray.  This is around mile 5.  Good enough lead on girl number two that I think she is barely in sight here...



Also, how surreal was this: Mary was capturing pictures of me during the race with her smart phone, and using the phone for a number of other things....such as friending me on Facebook, during mile 7.  It was unlike any other race experience, I'm telling you.  I had loaded up my ipod with music, remembering the loooong stretches of loneliness and boredom on this course from last year, but Mary and I chattered enough that I completely forgot the ipod was there.

And so here is a picture that Mary took of me, and sent to me on facebook...while I was racing.



That's all.  I just watched Inception at home so I'm trying to decide if I am awake or dreaming...which is making for a bad state in which to write a blog.

22 comments:

  1. That photo sort of looks like a surreal excerpt from a dream.
    Or maybe it was your words that made me feel like I was in a dream.
    Or perhaps it's because it's so late at night.

    One of the three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Hooters sponsor you for this run by any chance? The colors you are wearing scream Hooters to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange and WHITE! Hooters is Orange and White. This should scream "Halloween"

      Delete
  3. You look strong and generally awesome in those photos. I think we could all use a Mary on our longer/harder runs. How great would that be??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, the 'runboner' term makes me feel a little sick. Perhaps I'm just a prude. I love Emily's blog, and her goals/achievements put me to shame, I just think the competition could have been handled somewhat better, and they should have been sponsored outright rather than setting up the idea that anyone had a chance of winning.

    Rose, please let me borrow your muscles, just for a day. You take such a brilliant race photo!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Mary is multi talented. Well done Mary!

    The thing with runboner is that I feel like we, as women, got lucky in that no one can see what is going on in our shorts...why hashtag it? It's like a 13 year old boy wearing sweatpants to school...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture of you is so BA.

    Also, I HATE the term "runboner" First off, the people saying it are not men....how are you getting a boner? Second off, the only guys who say "boner" are 12 years old. I don't follow any 12 year old boy blogs because that would be messed up, so please quit that term.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like the B word, but I enjoy those two ladies blogs a lot! I'm just a prude, I think. You rock because you can disagree with something without getting all nasty. PS you look really ripped in your race pic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it should be runstiffy. That's much more mature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think it's pretty neat that you and mary have developed this new found friendship from this race, it's sweet and cute. and dang she takes great pics on a bike! looks like the scenery for the race was gorgeous!

    i don't know if i have any feelings on the term runboner, but i do have feelings about people who hate on other bloggers for stupid reasons. just wasted effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with this. I've never read those girls blogs because they don't sound like my style. I think Rose Runner does a good job of stating the issue and not attacking individuals. No one forces you to read anything you don't like so there is no point is personality attacks. I don't hate anyone but I will always hate runboners ;)

      Delete
  10. Great photo that Mary took!!!!

    I agree on all your points and never thought your post was offensive to Sarah or Emily... and also I am not offended by terms like runboner or the like... little offends me when it comes to stuff like that. So whatever floats your boat I guess....

    ReplyDelete
  11. dana (danakolesar@gmail.com)June 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM

    Awesome picture! You look totally badass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary kicks major ass! I didn't comment on the last post becuase, I came late to the party and I couldn't add anything that already hadn't been said. I think you are one of a kind. You are a brilliant runner and a really witty writer. You have dry sense of humor that I totally dig.
    I wish you would get more freebies. You earn them by running fast but, then you would have to "sell out" and tell us how wonderful this new running jacket is and how it makes you feel "giddy" everytime you put it on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe she was doing all that while riding a bike! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woah, you were a brunette! Nice legs, by the way. Pretty cool that you made a new friend while racing and had live race photos sent to fb to boot.

    Yes on everything you posted re: Oiselle. I love Sarah's blog, I've emailed her and she's super nice- I can't fault her for what happened. I know she'll have a blast in Eugene and will give Oiselle the publicity they are looking for. Things definitely get a little messy when you mix business and pleasure, and I hope it was a panel of judges not just Mac making the decision. I may be hyper-aware of boundaries and conflicts of interest from my line of work though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "The strong sentiment that developed amused me when I pondered whether runboner will be one of those search terms that brings a lot of unsuspecting internet browsers to a running blog, looking for pictures of men who wear soft fabrics while running, aroused."

    Well, now that you've added all those OTHER words? It definitely will. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They might have come to read your blog...but truth is, your email address was in our entry :)

    I have no beef with anybody about anything. Except tailgaters. And mean people.

    Runboner conjures up a very specific image in my mind. It's on a t-shirt from the British Museum...I'll show you sometime. It looks something like this:

    http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/young_explorers/discover/a_closer_look-1/ancient_olympia/on_your_marks,_get_set,_go.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "PS Of course I now see [RoseRunner's] email on the right of your blog - sorry for the doubled up email [XLMIC]. :)"

      She visited the blog on Tuesday....

      Excellent link--I think I've seen runboners in a number of museums, come to think of it.

      Delete
  17. I have a commanding and super regal nose too. Just thought I'd get that in there. Like to join the club.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary kicks ass. Also, being the frontrunner for the majority of the race kicks ass! I once came in as the second female in a 5K, that is the closest I'll ever feel to the same level of glory. :)

    Question for you, speed demon: How do you hydrate during a half? Or do you hydrate during a half? I just ask because I am apparently special and I cannot drink from a cup until I stop running (otherwise I just slosh it all over mah face). I carry a hand bottle, but I notice you do not. Just curious!

    Also: the brunette looks great! I gave up the blonde a few years ago too. Mostly because I'm lazy.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!