Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Yeah So What

Sssshhhhhhh.

That is my premature HUSH to the influx of 4th of July recaps that are about to flood on to blog posts.  I think Holidays are my least favorite thing for blogs, because it means every blog is about to sound the same.  I had a New Years! I had a Halloween!  I'm guilty of this too.

By the way, I was on the phone with an opposing counsel today, and I asked if he was taking Wednesday off for holiday.  He is a man approaching his elder years.  Our conversation continued as follows:

Him: "Yes I am.  It is my favorite holiday."

Me: "Is that right!?"

"Yes.  I have a strong passion for early American History, and the Revolutionary War."

"So how do you celebrate your favorite holiday?"

"Well, I start by reading the Declaration of Independence out loud right after waking up."

"Wha--huh.  How long does that take?"

"About 45 minutes."

The conversation continued on.  Just so you know, no matter how hard you wear red, white, and blue tomorrow, there is no way you like this holiday more than this guy.  Don't even try.

But what I'm really here to say, on a pseudo-Friday night, is that I don't care what day it is because TODAY, I conquered the Yasso 800m workout and am self-appointed 800m Queen Supreme for this day.

(Please appreciate my horrible, fabulous, blog-title pun.  Yeah So = Yasso).

It feels so SO nice to see progress in my running.  It's been a long time since I really can say I have.  You know, scratch that, I don't even think that this is all progress--I think I just had one of those great run days where everything fell into place.  Which still feels freaking great.

Not long ago, I visited the track for a speed workout for the very first time, and shortly after tried to run a couple 800's with the knowledge that some people (although not most) believe Yasso 800m repeats indicate your marathon time capabilities.  I ran 3x800m repeats in the 2:53 range and then felt completely dead and had to walk home.

Then I built my way up, eventually running 7x800m repeats in the 3:00-3:02 range, and then 8x800m repeats in the 2:55-3:01 range.  The goal was to eventually work my way up to 10x800m at 2:59, so that I could cross that off my list of possible things that may help me run a 2:59 marathon.

I fucking ran the shit out of 10x800m in 2:59, with time to spare.

2:55; 2:54; 2:54; 2:57; 2:56; 2:53; 2:50; 2:52; 2:55; 2:50

I felt good the whole time.  Felt easy.  I didn't even jog full lap recoveries--only about 3/4 lap jog until I wanted to go again.  My buttcrease felt 80% perfect (the best it has in a while).  It wasn't too hot out (thank you Northern California).  I ate way too much on Sunday and Monday, which I have noticed sometimes leads to great workouts (tapping out on carbs maybe?).

(Hey, help me out.  I set my Garmin to 0.50 mile intervals when I run these.  Am I right on this? 800m is the same as 0.50 mile?)

And now, pictures to complete the blog package.


At a spectacular wedding, watermelon cocktail, Bride behind me

We were in a museum!!!

This is a cake.  I'm trying hard not to apologize for the terrible quality of these pictures, because then you would say "well then why didn't you just not post them!?".  But this wedding was incredible, and this is all I've got.


Also, my youngest sister just returned from Tanzania, and I'm trying to make this photograph of her famous.  Because I find it striking.

Apparently, the kids asked permission before touching.  So that's nice.

Sincerely,

Your 800m Queen Supreme.  4 hours remaining.

23 comments:

  1. Yesterday I saw fireworks! Here are 47 pictures that suck but I assume you don't know what fireworks look like so I will educate you! We ate food on paper plates outside! Here is a picture of corn on the cob!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internets tell me 0.5 mile = 804 meters.
    I did 800 m repeats today for the first time, though it was around the Lake and not at the track because I was too lazy to go to Piedmont. I only did 3, but reading your story is encouraging. Hopefully repeats will get easier for me too... though I doubt I'll ever be as fast as you. You're a beast! (I mean that in the best way, obvs.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. 800 = .5 mile.

    That Tanzania picture is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 mile is juuust above 1609 metres. In other words, half a mile is about 804.5 m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally plan on posting a 4th of July post...except it will be a 3rd of July post published on the 4th. I will definitely post some lame-ass fireworks photos, primarily because my son took them and I promised him I would. And I will certainly inform my curious and eclectic readership as to why I missed the first few ka-POWS...because that was the most AMAZEBALLS part of the whole experience. You got that? So you'd better get ready for some AWESOMESAUCE reading. Set aside a good, oh...say 30 seconds ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You killed the 800's because regardless of Mr. yasso's ability to tell marathon time, you will easily run under 3 hours at the marathon. I mean, look at your recent race times! You're so ready for a low to mid 2:50. And I'm mildly jealous.
    Weddings in museums are the best. One of our close friends got married in the New Orleans Museum of Art, which was lovely, except that it limited the drink choices (no red wines allowed); I, with my more limited budget, choice an art gallery instead. A low-quality substitute.
    That pic of your sister definitely needs to go to National Geographic's photo contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recent race times...I think put me at a 3:02 or 3:03. Once I can run a 1:25 half, then I think I am ready for a 2:59.

      I'm just realizing I didn't see any red wine options, except with the sit-down dinner...

      Delete
  7. Oh, man. You did kill those 800s. I bow to you for sure. Because you were the reigning queen, you were allowed to shush the internets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge ass fires going on in my town so every freaking Facebook post is people bitching about the fact that they can not light fireworks. Big freakin' deal, right?

    Love how nonchalant you are in regards to your running. Killer 800's woman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY congrats queen of the track!!!!
    I'm still playing around with that soft & squishy circle of speed...it's so fun to run on (so I must not be pushing myself hard enough!) ;)
    I hope you're having a wonderful 4th!!
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cake is all kinds of creepy. Who gets to eat the dog's head? I mean, it's impressive and all, but perhaps a little too lifelike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. I actually never saw it cut or eaten....there was another traditional looking cake that we ate.

      Delete
  11. You are a Bad Ass! Way to kill a workout. I can't wait to see you PR big on your next marathon. Have you decided which race you want to do?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not post a 4th of July fireworks or red, white, and blue food instagram shot. I will not say if I was influenced by this post or not. Way to kill those 800's! Do you have a goal race in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That opposing counsel guy who reads the Declaration of Independence out loud is awesome!

    And wow, you destroyed that Yasso 800 workout!

    And .50 mile is technically longer than 800m - a mile comes out to be 1609 meters. .50 mile is equal to 880 yards. I remember in track they always used to clarify what race we were running - whether it was 880 yards or 800 meters so people could take that into account on their times.

    And the coolest thing I read about on July 4th was the San Diego fireworks show that was supposed to take place over 20 MINUTES went off in 20 SECONDS. Talk about badass - I wish I could have been there for it!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ifn8LJl5n0

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow way to destroy those 800s. I do agree, about the blog theme surrounding Holiday's. Or even just a photo saying Happy Fourth...I'm like really...will not posting on the fourth kill you versus posting the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is that your sister's real hair? NO really? Come on!

    And those poor dead Precious Moments pups!?!?! Sad times.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!! You rocked those 800's - makes me want to get to the nearest track and run my little heart out. You should feel like a rock star for that. I've never done a yasso 800 workout, but now I think I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was going to do my recap of the 4th, but then had a panic attack about work and I went to bed so there is one less recap in the blog world.

    A couple months ago I was over at my inlaws house and my FIL was sitting on the couch reading the constitution. Highlighting passages. Generally looking deep in thought. He was also wearing those skinny reading glasses that fit inside a pen. I'm pretty sure he is looking for a reason to impeach the president but I'm afraid to bring it up.

    Nice job on the 800s your highness!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done on the 800, you did great. That photograph of your sister is fantastic and captures such a lovely moment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I despise holiday recap posts. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still love that photo! It is so striking.

    Oh my gosh, I'm so behind on your posts!! I feel like I'm weeks behind in the timeline of your life! ;) I'm going to try and catch up now.

    Sounds like you had some awesome times at the track though! Don't you love when you feel great at the end of something like that?

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!