Sunday, September 16, 2012

Party of Five

What follows may be a collection of unrelated thoughts, but they are all worthy of some blog space, so let this proudly be a mish-mosh post.

Part 1) my world beliefs are turned on their head. 

I have long considered myself a great fan of Indiana Jones.  I whistle the theme song all the time! (no exaggeration, at least once/week.  Do it before a run if you need to pump yourself up).  I can't get enough of the Disneyland ride!  I grew up watching the movies and I love them all so much! I went to the theater to watch the fourth Shia LeBeouf installment even though it was really terrible!

Check it out.  A remastered version of the Indiana Jones' movies have been released in limited theaters.  We went to our beautiful Grand Lake theater to watch Raiders of the Last Ark on Friday night.  I was excited because it is always fun to watch a movie you haven't seen since you were a kid, only to learn how much less scary/wondrous/grand it is than you remember.

Within moments, the truth barreled upon me like a huge rolling ball that attacks you after you steal a holy treasure from a booby-trapped cave.  The truth: I had never. ever. seen Raiders of the Lost Ark before.

Oh no.  A movie that I have always claimed to be one of my very favorites.....is a movie I had never seen before?

Well, I'm a pathological deranged liar it turns out.  But the movie was extremely fun, Karen Allen is cute as a button, and I can now say without lying that Raiders is a great movie.



Don't forget that the bad ancient spirits will only melt off the faces of Nazis who keep their eyes open 


Part 2) I find my people.

"East Bay Atheists"

I met XLMIC today for a trail run (details below), and did a warm-up mile before we met up.  I ran by this picnicking group, mostly older folks, with their flag proudly waving.  You can kind of see the group below the flag.

Touchy subject, but now that I've gone so far as to flash you my underwear, I think it's fair enough for me to hint at my spiritual life....or lack thereof.

I also talked about this back when no one read this blog.  In short, spirituality is something I never think about.  On the rare occasion that I do think about it, my simplified thought process goes something like this....."invisible magic all powerful man who disapproves of gay love, unmarried sex, and makes some people believe they can kill others for not also believing in their god?  I....respectfully do not wish to partake."

Of course, my personal thoughts are more complicated than this.  I have my own very strong moral compass.  I don't need to believe in anything other than myself to live a peaceful, motivated, and loving life.

I also don't judge people who have very different beliefs.  Many of my best friends and family members are and have been religious or spiritual in very different ways, and I love that everyone can find their own version of comfort and peace, without it causing a rift in friendship.  However, if my best friend were to run for President, I would ask them to shut the effing door to their religious beliefs and keep them far, far away from running our country.

Part 3)  I share brilliant running fueling tips

~I am flipping, quickly and bored-ly (read: I do not recommend it) through this book that my mom picked up for me from a garage sale.

"Foreword by John 'the Penguin' Bingham"....makes me laugh everytime


But I finally found something useful from this book, aside from the repetitive advice to NOT try anything new on race day (I got it, I heard you, and yes, I will definitely be trying something new on race day so pthhhh).

The advice was to carry a small straw while running so you can stick it in the cups you pick up from water stations.  I can't decide how practical this is.  I may try it sometime.




~ I have been using dried cherries as my long-run fuel lately, because a big bag of dried cherries from Costco is cheap and lasts me more than one month.  That's like $0.10 per run, instead of $3.00 in Gu, so I win.

However, my long run last weekend was lacking with just the cherries.  I was sick of the sweet taste by the 18th mile, and could kind of tell I needed some electrolytes, not just quick carbs.  So this weekend on my long run (more below), I sprinkled salt on the baggie of cherries before tucking them into my pocket.

Did that work? I dunno.  I didn't have that sick-of-sugar, craving electrolyte feeling I had the prior week.  So yes?

~Cucumber lime Gatorade is the bomb.blogspot.com.

I can't recommend it enough.  It is so delicious and will hit your thirsty spot so hard.

Cucumber Lime


Part 4) I recap my week of running

Monday: 0
Tuesday: 16.5 a.m. (2x5mile tempo) 5.3 p.m. (shakeout run as per chiropractor's recommendation)
Wednesday: 12.4
Thursday: 11.6 (11x400m track workout)
Friday: 0 (hamstrings not feeling good)
Saturday: 22.1
Sunday: 13.3
[total: 81]

I am signed up for the San Jose Rock n' Roll half marathon, which takes place in 3 weeks.  I have never run a Rock n' Roll event, and I am pre-pissed off at how expensive it is.  I used a $13 off code to purchase my entry, but is still whoa expensive for a half.  If cutting out Matt Nathanson is the answer to making these races cheaper, then please dears cut him out.  I swear I don't need a completely average male singer-songwriter at mile 5 to pump me up.

Saturday was 22 hilly and s-l-o-w miles, which made for the longest time I have spent running ever outside of a marathon.  It was just over 3 hours and 20 minutes.  I know a lot of you have gone on runs for even four hours or more, but my max is usually around the 2 hour 45 minute range.  This long run was fine, I didn't hate being out for almost 3.5 hours, but it's not my jam.  I have too many other fun things, like napping, that I'd rather be doing on a weekend, so the longer a run gets the more annoying it is in terms of being a time-stealer.

Sunday was another great, challenging, chatty trail run with XLMIC.  We hit around 9.5 miles together, and I ran a few extra as a warm-up and afterwards while checking out the animal farm and the atheists in Tilden Regional Park.

Part 5) I make a public service announcement on behalf of litigators and the court system.

Don't pretend you are a biased asshole just to get out of jury duty.  Everyone can see through it, and it actually makes you more of an asshole than the one you are pretending to be.  This is your civic duty. The justice system is not always perfect, but it is a really good justice system, it works, and you are needed do your part.  We all have jobs and a life that we would rather not put on hold to sit on a jury.  You can be vocal about any hardship that serving on a jury would lead to, and the court will take it into consideration.  You will be respected much more than if you lie that your brain is broken and you can't be a fair juror.

Five parts.  I'm done.

42 comments:

  1. Part 4 alludes to why I don't really want to run a marathon any time soon...the thought of running for more than 4 hours kind of turns my stomach. And it would take me longer than 4 hours at this point in time.

    Did you see the baby cow? And the sheeps' tails?

    Part 5...if someone would watch my kids for free (or for whatever I made as a juror) I would LOVE to serve on a jury. I wish there were some way to hook that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trials can be very flexible! A lot of the time they are only 1/2 a day, 4 days a week.

      Delete
  2. I hate RnR. I really regret that I picked an RnR for my first marathon. I hope yours sucks way less than Seattle did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive week of running! I've wanted to get called for jury duty for as long as I can remember and still haven't! ;( people think I'm weird but I think it would be interesting! I haven't seen that flavor of Gatorade around me..I usually just get the yellow, orange, and purple flavors. The straw idea is smart lol...I usually end up w the fluid all over me or in my nose bc obviously I'm not coordinated. ;) have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cucumber lime? I must have some - but I bet it will be 20 years before I can get it in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The RnR people are tools. They bought out the historic Mardi Gras marathon (used to be run by the local track club) and promptly ruined it. Now the course is stupid, it's in March instead of February (read: risk for 80+ degree weather), and the price has doubled. Oh, and you have to wear a wrist band to get two stupid beers. That's very anti-New Orleans. However, it's the only marathon in my actual city, so of course I will keep running it.
    I'm a Christian and I can still read your blog and be cool, so I guess I'm not too judgy. I just believe in God, I don't think I AM God!
    Oh and the straw. Can NOT see that working. I do see myself accidentally performing a tracheostomy on myself while running, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm picture a straw the size of my thumb. Safer, no?

      Delete
  6. I'm with Gracie re: The Straw. I envision it up my nose and/or spearing my eyeball long before it realizes its helpful potential.

    Now I'm on a mission to find some of that gatorade. It sounds like a great mixer for a martini, too! (post, not mid-run, of course)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I vow to never again run a RnR race. I am sick of paying $$$ to run on access roads, sharply banked ugly highways, and a million out and backs. The sad part is that a lot of newer runners have no idea that half marathons shouldn't cost that much. And like you, I could care less about the crap bands they have on course!

    I've tried fueling long runs with gummy candy and dried fruit but I always ended up bonking. As much as I don't want to admit it, there must be something special in Gu. I waited until I got a 25% coupon and ordered a box of them.

    I once got called for jury duty to a trial of a man who tried to hire a hitman to kill his wife. I really wanted to serve on that jury, but my number was never called. It seemed like it was a very interesting case!

    ReplyDelete
  8. re #1. Indiana Jones is the man, although Goonies is still my all-time favorite movie.

    re #2: I'm an atheist living in the south and it's always annoyed me how people boast about being a person of faith as if it's a good thing. No, it's not an admirable quality. It means you're gullible and can believe almost anything without sufficient evidence. It baffles me how anyone can still truly believe in supernatural, religious nonsense in 2012.

    re #5: I always report for jury duty and try to convince others to do the same. Like voting and paying your taxes, it's your civic duty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add the Labyrinth to that mix and we are 1980's gold!

      Even in the progressive SF bay area, I sometimes feel that "atheist" is considered a bad word.....

      Delete
  9. Your posts are always so interesting!
    2) I am a practicing Catholic and actually like going to church every weekend....but not many people even know that about me. I think the best way to show that you are a 'good church go-er' is to be kind and accepting of everyone. It baffles me that some people think its their place to judge others.....I really enjoy being friends with people of different religions or no religions...I have never had a problem about it before :). I must pick nice friends!
    5) I had jury duty two years ago and the judge gave us this speech about how lucky we are to live in the US with such a fair judicial system and how we are helping by possibly being selected as a juror. It really pumped me up! I enjoyed it. I had the day off work, got to read a book while hanging out in the AC and had lunch downtown with a friend. They also had free coffee! That wasn't so bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judges are often very inspiring people.

      Real question: do you go to church even after a marathon? Marathons are always on Sundays!

      Delete
    2. No way in heck can I go to church after 26.2. The movement between kneeling and standing up is like a squat/lunge... Not happening. When I ran the Pittsburgh marathon I went to church Saturday night before the race. I usually skip when I have had out of town marathons, but my parents always find a church and go, lol. They love going to new churches....how exciting? Lol

      Delete
  10. 1. It just occurred to me that I've never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark either! Must put that on my Netflix queue...

    2. Long story short - I used to be an evangelical Christian in high school, now I consider myself agnostic/atheist. It blows my mind when people don't think that you can have a moral compass as an atheist... as if believing in God (and his wrath) is the only reason to be good? That's messed up.

    4. I debated between running the RnR San Jose Half or Healdsburg. I opted for Healdsburg based on a friend's recommendation. I hope RnR SJ doesn't suck as much as everyone says... at least it will be a fast course?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Healdsburg looks so great (and equally expensive!). San Jose is an easier drive for me, that's the main reason I chose it...and I did a Healdsburg race just a few weeks ago!

      Delete
  11. Part 2 makes me like you even more that I did before. Hard to find others with the same 'non-beliefs'

    I'd 100% choke on the straw if I tried doing that.

    Cucumber lime sounds flippin' fantastic... I regularly drink cucumber water, maybe I'll through some limes in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you choked on a straw it would be because you are going SO FAST! You ran such an awesome marathon this weekend!

      Delete
  12. I like the straw idea. I might give it a try too. At the San Diego Rock N Roll half this year, I spilled so much Gatorade on myself that one of the volunteers started cheering for me, Go Gatorade! Thankfully, the Gatorade was yellow and I was wearing a yellow tank! Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  13. And here comes a wacky disjointed response:

    1) The Indiana Jones ride is just the best. I used to have my alarm in the morning set to play the Indy theme, it worked wonders in getting me excited to be awake. Also, Karen Allen is delightful. Somebody told me once that she went crazy and ran around naked though strangers backyards. I have NO idea if that's true, but she's still my favorite Indy lady.

    2) I went to a very liberal arts school. Very few people weren't athiests/agnostic. So when I was released into the real world I was a bit baffled when I met people my age who believed in god. Not judge-y...just surprised! It just goes to show you how much of a bubble college can be. I usually keep the fact that I'm an athiest to myself unless it comes up (like this post!). Otherwise as long as people don't try and push religion on me or use their religion to be hateful towards others I'm pretty cool with whatever people want to believe.

    5) I LOVED being on a jury! I felt so cool! It was also a trial about heroin and I got to handle the drugs!!! I am very simple and get excited by things like this. And our judge was a firecracker, I loved him. I don't know if this is common, but he let us ask him any questions we had after the trial. I wound up learning a lot that day and my fellow jurors were all really neat people, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL'ing at the idea of Karen Allen going streaking.

      I don't think I have ever been in a place in my life where I was in the majority by being non-religious. But a lot of people keep to themselves about it....maybe I'm wrong...

      Firecracker judges are the best kind -- it means they really care, are bright, and are paying attention to their cases!

      Delete
  14. there are some people that hate RnR events (like the above), but I have had 2 really great experiences at RnR Philly and Chicago... so I would do one of theirs again. I also think they put on a good expo. 100x better than the Cleveland Marathon which is not a well run event IMO. They are $$ as are most big races.

    I'm not sure about the staw bc it doesn't have a lid in the cup to hold it in place, I fear it would fall out. Over the summer is was smoldering out, I was desperate so I went to a Caribou Coffee and they gave me a cup of water w/ a straw. I carried it for like 2 miles. The straw worked awesome. Much easier than trying to drink out of a cup. But it had a lid...

    ReplyDelete
  15. 2 - in the end all religions are cults, it just depends on how crazy your cult is and what they believe in. I'm Catholic, but I don't go to Church that often anymore. In the end, hopefully all religions preach tolerance of others and being nice to others - because that is all that matters in the end.

    3 - never tried the straw idea, lol

    4 - people love to trash RnR events, but the one RnR event that I did was awesome. (RnR San Jose 2010). The race was super organized, perfect weather, huge crowds, great cheerleaders and music along the race, etc. I loved it, and want to do another RnR race again. Yes, it is expensive, but as with anything, you get what you pay for. If you want a no frills race, then there are plenty of trail or cheap pavement races out there to do. Wouldn't surprise me if you set your PR at the race is the race has good weather RnR SJ is literally almost perfectly flat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to get me pumped for San Jose RnR! I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. I think I will too. I could use a good flat course :)

      Cults. That reminds me of some seriously scary situations when I was really young, where my friends' churches would try and drag me in. Hand me literature and scare me with hell talk. Not cool!

      Delete
  16. 1. There was a show on the History channel this weekend about Indiana Jones and real life archaeology, and it compared the IJ world and where inspiration was pulled from for the stories. My Harrison Ford/Sean Connery crush was reignited explosively.

    2. I'm agnostic, as I feel that there are a great many things that haven't had explanation in our world, but I'm also on the logic train. Belief in the supernatural does not equate morality. I get to choose morality on my own without any deity telling me what's good or not. Anyhoo, my daddy is a preacher, so....... yeah. I haven't gone public as an agnostic except for here. Now. You've witnessed my coming out!

    3. The straws work. I spent an entire race dowsing myself, iPod, shoes, and other runners with water because the one place it didn't go was in my gullet. Again, go straws.

    4. I don't like Gatorade, because I'm not much for the artificial stuff. Whatevs, a lot of people are so it's more for them! But I did try the Cucumber Melon kind when my boyfriend brought it home and was pleasantly surprised. It was really quite refreshing.

    5. I served on a jury and was chosen because, at the time, I was the wife of an attorney who had practiced as a Public Defender and this was a PD case. Ironically, my husband was in the next court room over doing his thing. I didn't think I would be chosen but was glad they did - getting to see the judicial system from the inside and not as a defendant was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome out! That's really neat, thanks for sharing :)

      I bet the History channel made archeology just as Harrison Ford in his hot professor outfit did. I hope this is on Hulu!

      Delete
  17. Cucumber lime gatorade. Is that real life? HA. Anyways-cherries sound like a grand idea for fuelage of a long run. I've been eating cherries a lot lately to reduce inflammation in my heel. I hate how expensive GU and all that crap is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the first Indy movie, the others are meh. You "remembered" a movie you had never seen. I totally forgot a movie I had seen. Forgot the movie, forgot the night with friends, the whole thing, even after seeing it again I still didn't remember any of it. Shift work.

    A straw. In a cup while running. I am dubious. Let us know how it goes. Gatorade - gag, choke.

    I was on a jury once. The accused was charged with a bunch of firearms offenses, since some chick got shot in the ass. The problem is all the charges were ones in which they had to prove premeditation. Not discharge of a firearm in city limits which would have been open and shut. We were there for 3 days and finally threw the whole thing out. Cops lied through their teeth. It was really interesting, watching the whole procedure. Everybody should do jury duty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, wonder how you forgot that whole night....see, I had seen the third Indy movie with the goblet of life, and the one with Short-Round, and thought that my memories of those movies were memories of all three of the originals.

      Sounds like you got a good, drama filled trial...lying cops, butts being blown up....

      Delete
  19. It's okay that you never saw it. The real question is which Harrison Ford do you prefer, Han Solo or Indiana Jones? I adore them both but Han wins imho.

    I am on the look out for Cucumber Lime Gatorade. I looked for it here yesterday after reading your post and could not find it.

    I've only been asked for Jury Duty once and wasn't picked. I was bummed! I would actually love to be on a jury.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cucumber Lime Gatorade is indeed awesome. I am not usually a big Gatorade drinker but I saw it at the store and had to try it.

    Re: jury duty, I have *never* been called (other than once in college, when I had to defer and then moved out of state) which is really too bad because I would be super into it. I'm a nerd about these things.

    (first time commenter, btw. I really enjoy your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alix :) Are you in California? I wonder if that's the only place to find the Cucumber Lime flavor...I have only seen it at a 7-11

      Delete
  21. I can understand the Indy confusion. I too love the IJ films but that is really based on seeing Temple of Doom and Last Crusade a billion times each. I think I have actually only seen Raiders once for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY. I had seen the one with the cup of life (?) like 3,000 times, and kind of assumed my memories of it were all three of the films. He he.

      Delete
  22. I want to come on a trail run with you and XLMIC! PS I am pretty sure I am running the same half.. we finally get to meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janae, lets hit some trails in your 'hood sometime soon! Not stroller friendly, so Billy will have to be willing to babysit....

      I think I'm staying the night in San Jose the night before, do I smell....a blogger meet-up....?

      Delete
  23. I'm thinking of entering San Jose RNR too. Was your code for $25.00 off one that anyone can use? Or steal? Lol. Good luck! I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a one-day only code, on September 13....keep your eye out for another code! And please say hi if you see me!

      Delete
  24. Atheists in the park! I love it! I have mixed feelings about religion myself, as I don't think of myself as having one. I totally respect everyone else's beliefs (even when they are stupid and judgy and sooooo stupid - oops, is that not respectful?), and I just want to believe what I believe and not have to share that with other people unless they want to hear it. Which also goes the other way. I just don't want someone telling me I'm not a good person because I don't follow certain rules or believe in the same things. I know I'm a good person because I do go to jury duty and do my civic duty. So there!

    p.s. I've always secretly wanted to be picked for a jury but I've only made it up into the box(?) one time and they turned me down. It was right after I had told them I was a women's studies major so I totally blame that. Damn you women and your studies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how the women's studies thing mattered....one of the parties must have been a woman, and the other wasn't....?

      Delete
  25. Heh, I like your explanation of atheism. It's kind of awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your thoughts (and all the subsequent comments) about the straw, but all I can picture is me prissily (is that even a word?) sipping from my straw through the aid station and my friends laughing hysterically at the site of it. In fact, we'd probably all laugh so hard trying to do it that we'd have to stop running and how could THAT be good for our times?

    Cucumber lime gatorade? Well, that could ALMOST get me to drink gatorade again. I wonder if I could convince Hammer to make that flavor?!

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!