Monday, October 29, 2012

How to Stay Fit When You Are Stranded on Vacation

Rolling with the punches here in Washington D.C. where all the tourist attractions (and the Supreme Court) is shut down in anticipation of a "historical" hurricane that so far is just a lot of wind and rain.

(unfortunately the pictures don't seem to be working, sorry.  Trying to post from my iPad.)

Knowing we would be stuck inside through at least sometime Wednesday, we took the opportunity while the winds were slower than 50 mph to get outside and....run in My Very First Hurricane!

Here's what I learned: How to Get Fit in a Hurricane, presented in the style of every terrible women's health magazine.

1)   Turn off the weather channel and head outside in whatever clothes is left in your suitcase.  Strengthen your hips by dodging all the doormen who ask to get you a taxi in disbelief that you are headed out into the rain.

2)  Puddle jumping = pliometrics! Really engage those muscles and jump to burn off all the beers you drank while watching the Giants win the world series.  You can do some high jumps like Mario by letting the wind boost you.

3)  wind? Perfect.  Use this obstacle to your advantage by either creating a challenging resistance workout, or practicing your Michael Jackson lean like this broken model in the Space and Aeronautics museum.



4) Eating well is hard when all you have access to is non-perishable foods picked up from 7-11 before all stores closed.  Make a meal of some Hostess donuts and Goldfish, which will nourish you with all the preservatives you need to stay fresh while locked inside for three days.

5)  when you get too wet and chilled to run the rest of the way to the hotel, knock on the White House doors and beg Michelle to give you refuge.  Tell her you love her Jason Wu dress so she knows she can trust you, even though it's only kinda true.



6). Take the time to have a private talk with Abraham Lincoln, who has never been so lonely and misses the thousands of people who usually admire him each day.  Tell him Jefferson is still pissed that his memorial isn't as popular, and is scheming a nip-slip so he can get some more publicity.  Try not to slip on the marble steps that have judged you for making disrespectful tabloid jokes about old presidents.



7)  treat yourself to some free acupuncture by allowing the wind to pelt your face with sharp raindrops.  So good for the spirit.

8) when it starts flooding, utilize those arm muscles and start swimming through the 10 inches of rainfall.  Extra power calorie burn!

9). When you really feel miserable and wet and cold, run by the Korean war memorial and realize what a wimp you are.



In all seriousness, I'm just trying to kill some time here with my cabin/hotel fever.  We are stuck on the East Coast with hurricane Sandy, and posting with an iPad is ridiculously hard so this postvwill be short despite my boredom.  We did run about 6 miles this morning in the whipping rain, and seeing the memorials in rain and solitude is something I will never forget.

The pre-hurricane vacation was fantastic, thanks to many of your great NYC and DC suggestions, and a couple amazing (but not pain free) runs.  Can't wait to be home in california with the calm weather and Giants fans.  See you soon!

16 comments:

  1. It looks like a lame little storm right now because it's still 24 hours from landfall. Let's save the smack talk for then, OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smack talk? I just pointed out that today hasn't been bad. Still shut in and bored nevertheless

      Delete
    2. You are one of my favorite bloggers. But, I kinda agree with Victoria. There are a few people that will perish due to the effects of this storm. I feel sorry for the homeless people that are living on the streets. Many of them suffer from mental illness and won't be going to shelters by choice. To make light of this storm is tacky. Stay safe.

      Delete
    3. You guys, stop it. I wrote a post about my run this morning in wind and rain. To insinuate that I am not appreciating the storm because I wrote a post while bored in my hotel is pissing me off. I may not lose a home, but I am in a foreign place with very few resources and just as frightened and hopeful that nothing bad happens as anyone.

      Seriously.

      Delete
    4. Victoria? Dolly? Either of you ever been through a hurricane? I have. Roserunner's post was not disrespectful or tacky in any way. There are many many aspects of going through an approaching hurricane. Take your attitudes down to the Red Cross and turn them into productive energy.

      Delete
  2. Eeeek Giants fans? Your brave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy needs to get her game on. I couldn't believe I got to run in NYC this morn with barely a breeze and a couple of lame-o drops of rain. I am probably going to be bit by karma and have a flooded apartment or some such for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, this line "...will nourish you with all the preservatives you need to stay fresh while locked inside for three days" killed me. You're so not a healthy living blogger, dear roserunner, and that makes me so very happy.

      Delete
  4. lol hilarious! Bummer though that you are on the east coast at the worst possible time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This killed some time for me reading and amused me. I'm in upstate and we aren't feeling the wrath of rain but the wind is unreal. It's like 65mph and it it's supposed to get to be 90...resistance training at the max!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Supreme Court not a tourist attraction?!?! Heresy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you survived your hurRUNcane. I can't imagine being stuck somewhere without my gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free supplies. Shit...I would die...or become the biggest basket case ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. humor always helps get through stressful times... hurrcane cabin fever is one of them! glad you enjoyed your trip thus far and hope all is well in DC for you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course you ran in a hurricane! I wouldn't expect anything else ;) Stay safe and dry (when not running of course) and get home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow and wow and wow again! What a crazy yet wonderful time you had. My only advice to you about your running boo boos--wt train. 3x a week and I gaurantee you'll feel a difference in endurace and less strain on the areas of your body that are being overused, thus injured....

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!