Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sassy Pants

If I could sing you a song through the computer, it would go like this: "look at meee, here is a picture of meee, in which I, am, runningggg."  I sound exactly like the lead singer of Offspring when I sing, so you can picture that voice.  The Gentleman describes Offspring's voice as "a dead cat come to life."

That building to my right? Is where I saw Peter Gabriel 5 days prior.  So much San Jose in one week.



Fashion police

Let's talk about the shoes in that photo.  I'm wearing the Nike Air Pegasus 29 in "night blue" aka totally purple.  This was my first real good wear of the shoes, as in, worn on a run that wasn't easy or short.  Verdict: love 'em.  I didn't notice any issues of pain or blisters, they were just plush and comfy and light and along for the ride.  Then again, I may have been too busy hating my butt to notice any shoe problems.  I'll probably wear them for the upcoming marathon!

Let's talk about the shirt.  Cotton y'all.  I'm wearing a cotton shirt! How dare thy!?

After my laundry disaster, a very sweet race director by the name of Leila got in touch with me and sent me some of her race's t-shirts.  She runs Picnic Dash Productions, they do a bunch of races in San Francisco that benefit non-profits.  (She specifically told me I didn't have to write about her generous act, but I wear the shirts she gave me a lot so I shall give her a shout out).

Let's be real, part of why I love cotton shirts is the fabric feels better to wipe my sweat and my snot on.  I was still a little sick on Sunday and I knew I needed a good shirt for blowing my nose on.  Snot rockets are not appropriate when you have people all around you at a race.

The shorts are pretty much my only shorts left that are really tolerable for racing/long runs after the laundry disaster.  I can do with almost any top, but I am picky about my running shorts.  So I've been doing a lot of laundry so I can wear these shorts a lot.  It helps that I haven't done a lot of running lately.

Operation: buttcrease

My primary care doctor squeezed me in today to talk about my butt/hips.  I had actually never met her before, long story that has to do with me never seeing my doctor for anything because until recently my health plan wasn't so good.  I guess that's actually a short story.

She was really lovely and seemed focused on trying to find out what is wrong instead of telling me running is the devil and "I gotta go, bye".  She invited in a "roaming physical therapist" and hooked me up with x-rays, so hopefully I hear about the X results soon.

The physical therapist who came in had atttittuuuuude.  Sir sassy pants, or he just hated me.  He seemed frustrated with me for not knowing the name of all the parts of my body.  See, I took a guess about what a "hip flexor stretch" was and got it wrong, which earned me a scoff from sir sassy.  Dude-ical, memorizing body parts to get a physical therapy degree is your job, not mine.  Orrrr....I guess should know where my hip flexor is.

Anyway, I got the feeling that between the two of them, they were thinking I may have either arthritis (eh?) or tendinopathy (which I understood to be tendinitis that has....gotten worse).

My homework is stretching and strengthening of the hamstrings, stretching the hip flexors, and.....2-4 weeks of rest.  Swimming is okay during rest.

As long as the x-rays don't show something requiring immediate rest, both my doctor and the PT were satisfied with letting me train through early December for a marathon, and then taking that 2-4 weeks off.  Looks like this means December is going to be suck town USA, and I will have to draw daggers all over the dipshitty magazines that say: "how to handle the holiday weight gain!? Exercise for an extra 30 minutes, and then pick the candy cane over the pecan pie to save 3 pounds!"  Not running during the fattiest month of the year should be awkward for my jeans.  At least I won't have to deal with tripping while running in the dark winter hours!

Operation: three great concerts in one month

I know what you're thinking: another concert? Is Rose Runner moonlighting as a concert critic?  Is she secretly a musician?  Is she a tool and a poser who thinks she discovered Pitchfork?

We caught a Grizzly Bear concert at the Fox Theater in Oakland last night.  It's true, I spend all of my disposable income on running and concerts.  And the occasional fancy meal.  If you think you don't know Grizzly Bear, you probably actually do know this song which is either in commercials, or is ripped off by copycat music in commercials.  But this song is the one that you should know about if you want to know about a really neat song.




The performance and music were great even though my ears were ringing afterwards.  I guess the band members didn't hear me when I said "turn it down!" in the general direction of the stage.

I gotta go stretch n' stuff.  

16 comments:

  1. I still have a sneaking suspicion that you have a femoral neck stress fracture. I wish they would have done an MRI, not an x-ray! (often times those sorts of things don't show up on x-rays.)

    I fell off a bike today and the first thing that flashed through my head was that I didn't want to have an injury that would keep me from running....

    PS I wish that laundromat would reimburse you for the clothes that they roasted, I'd be so angry! It'd take me a long time to get over that. It's like losing a suitcase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you got an x-ray without me :(

    But I am really glad they were not cranky about you training for and running CIM. And I, too, prefer cotton. Not stiff 'hard' cotton though. It really sucks to wipe your nose on slick tech fabric :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you in your pink cotton T-shirt running on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's weird that they thought it was arthritis or tendinopathy but didn't send you in for an MRI. Though I guess an MRI is too expensive to justify if they consider your injury minor/treatable with rest.

    What is it with the Fox Theater? Love that venue, but it is SO loud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great race photos! I agree with you about the cotton shirts being good for sweat/snot wiping. Gotta do what you gotta do.

    Totally jealous of all your concert-ing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nike Pegasus and cotton t-shirt? We are practically twins now.

    I am very happy you saw your PC Dr. It is always best to rule out any breaks or fractures so that you can train without any concern lurking in the back of your mind. Did they say maybe an MRI too? After I had x-rays they did and MRI to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YO RO, I know you've probably answered this before, but what brand/make are those shorts? I like 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oiselle distance short. I love them, my two other pairs (black and orange) pretty much died in the laundry. They can usually be found between $30-$35 online, have pockets in all the right places, no inner thigh chafing! (disclaimer: Oiselle can suck it).

      Delete
    2. hahahaha. The best part is that even if you hadn't included the disclaimer I would have known you were thinking it. Thanks for the reply!

      Delete
  8. Finally someone that understands the love for cotton. I could freaking run all my races in cotton clothes and have no shame.

    I'm glad to hear you can run through to December. Boo for taking the time off but I hope it isn't too bad. We can be elliptical twins, catch up on trashy MTV and live the dream...perhaps wear booty shorts to the gym and knee high socks...oh I'm not referring to all the college females I've seen there lately.

    Anyways-My baby bone break didn't show up on the Xray until two days ago and I've had it for a month...thank god for MRI's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'm allowed to elliptical during my break :( I'll come to your gym and just look cute and walk around

      Delete
  9. You a sassy pants? No not at all!

    Nice race photos...you look bad ass..I wouldnt mess with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate when doctors are sassy pants! I've been made to feel stupid by a few doctors before, and it sucks.

    I just bought a bunch of cotton t-shirts online to work out in, and then I realized that they aren't the norm as far as work out shirts go. But I don't care because I'm not always a huge fan of those slipper slimey feeling materials that are supposed to be good. I can't wipe my sweat off on those suckers!

    I'm so jealous of your concert going! I've only listened to a little bit of Grizzly Bear before, but I really liked them and now you've reminded me that I should listen to them more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonder if your dr could skip the X-ray and go straight to the MRI/MRA...X-rays are so limited in the scope of what they can show (bone only) and you really need an MRI to look at the tendons and muscles and bones. X-ray just seems like a step that prolongs your diagnosis and costs you more $

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, here's the good and bad news about arthritis: there isn't much you can do about it. I was recently diagnosed with arthritis of my right knee...MRI showed significant loss of cartilage, and a lesion behind the knee cap. My doctor basically said the options were either: a. lower my mileage, or b. keep up my mileage and run until it hurts too much and then consider cartilage injections. I guess I feel like if there isn't anything I can do to "cure it", because cartilage can't grow back, might as well just keep running.
    Anyway, I hope your X-Ray doesn't reveal anything more sinister!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tendonopathy is a recently popular term that refers to chronic tendonitis that doesn't improve with conventional therapy. At least that is my take on it. It is particularly troublesome when it involves heavy load bearing tendons like the achilles, hamstring or quadricep tendons because you can't inject them with steroids without risking a rupture. There are several new therapies that are being tried with variable success. These include platelet rich plasma injections, shockwave therapy and ultrasound. Nobody is certain why they might work but the theories involve scar disruption, release of growth factors and stimulation of blood flow. It is definitely worthwhile trying rest, stretching and strengthening but don't be surprised if that doesn't do the trick at least not over the short term (but I hope it does).

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!