Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tease

In my last post, I left with a teaser about how I would talk about my shiny new goals for CIM.

I chose the “let’s talk about it later” sendoff because I…have…no…plan. 

It’s a tough one, and I don’t feel like making a plan.  If you peek back to this post, I declared a complete release, sadly, of my sub-3:00 hour marathon goal.  The choice was to take a break to let my angry hip area heal rather than suffer through continued training to build up to that goal of 26.2 miles at 6:50 pace.  I let the goal go, I am content knowing there are a billion other marathons per year that I can devote that goal to. 

So now where does that leave me for CIM in 2.5 weeks? Let’s talk it through together.

In many ways, I am in the same shape as I was exactly one year ago, at which time with no gentle exertion, I ran a 3:05:08 at the CIM.  I really don’t think there’s much evidence that I am stronger or faster than I was then.  So that puts me at “aim for a 3:05-ish again” capability.  Again.  Boring.

But there are differences from one year ago.

I had more endurance last year, from weeks and weeks of 20+ mile runs on the regular.  I don’t have that going for me right now as I haven’t run a straight 20 miles or more in something like 5 or 6 weeks (I’ll try for 22 miles this weekend and see how that feels).  Without that endurance, I’m thinking that puts me at 3:05-3:10 territory.

I have more speed-work under my belt this year.  Granted, not much of it has been within the last month, but there is some base there in which I spent many a day at the track this spring and summer.  Do I have this in my favor? Will it make any difference? I don’t know.  So back to 3:05 territory, maybe we can dip into 3:04.

I tapered like a good girl for about a 3-week taper schedule last year.  This year, I'm planning on tapering for about 3 days.  I guess we'll learn if tapering is magic and science, or malarkey.  (Thanks to Joe Biden for reminding the world about the word malarkey). 

This year it could be so wonderful if my butt-crease pain and the leg-lock stays under control, or at least behaves better than it did last year.  That could gain me a minute or three.

Conclusion: I think, although I don’t know for sure, that I am going to go out for a 1:30 first half, and then just see how long I can hang on.  This is admittedly a terrible plan, but I am not one to negative split, probably won’t be smart enough to run a marathon that way for a while (I don’t have that trust in me that I can run fast at mile 25 no matter how conservative I started).  So that’s my plan.  If my second half ends up being 2 hours, too bad so sad at least I tried, and I can sign up for another marathon later.

****Other Running Stuff****

The last two days I’ve been sore in the good old leg muscles, so that left me with swimming (about 90 minutes on Monday a.m. in f-f-f-forty degree c-c-c-cold weather) and dance partying.  Proof of the dance party is presented in exhibit A.

Oh, you didn't know? That dance parties require costumes?

We call this T1, transition into the second stage of dance party


This is what it looks like.  When the doves cry.

Before the half marathon, I squeezed in three “speed work” runs with pretty abysmal results—which is part of why I was nervous and expecting to run slower at the half marathon. 

One workout was 10x400m at the track.  Pre-break, I was hitting 400m at 78-82 seconds.  Last week, I was at 84-86 seconds.  Not a great sign, right?

Another workout was a one-hour treadmill progression run.  I started at around 7.2 mph and worked up to 9.2 mph, totaling about 8.2 miles.  Dude, I was running 9.4 holy moly miles per hour on the treadmill early this year.  (how?!).  So, equally not thrilled to hit 8.2 in one hour.

Last was a hokey plan to run around the lake a few times, alternating 1 mile with effort, 0.5 mile relaxed, for somewhere around 8-10 miles of effort.  I did 6.5 miles of effort (each around 6:45 ish) before my Garmin died and I died with it.

Now we’re all caught up!  I’ve been swimming 2-3x per week, relaxed and fun.  Totally enjoying it, but I would look forward to it so much more if it wasn’t so cold when I head outside nearly naked to throw myself into a bowl of water…

And last, I should mention that I am so happy to be feeling improvements in my chronic butt-crease pain (it has chosen to heal at almost exactly the one year mark!).  I have been doing one simple thing consistently for a month now, and nothing more: hamstring stretch.  Hold it for a long time, at least 3x a day.  I have completely STOPPED foam rolling, and I think this has really helped! I have also slowed down the glute strengthening.  Is less more? I can handle that.

***Deep Thoughts***

You know how we can all agree that there is a comfortable limit to how much one is allowed to publicly announce their mushy love and affection for their significant other on the ‘net?  I’m calling for an equalizing limit to the same vein of announcements of mushy love and affection regarding friend-to-friend and blogger-to-blogger relationships.  

Yeah yeah yeah.  You LOVE that blogger you finally got to meet after months of commenting on each others lives.  You met another reader/blogger at a race and they were SO CUTE and sooooo sweet! Cavities are growing after meeting that sweetie pie!  Relays are the best experience ever, drunk with love for runner friends (or drunk with lack of sleep?)  Just keep it coooool.  

Sometimes I feel like the internet is full of drippy love praise for boyfriends, girlfriends, wives, kids, friends, bffeeee's (that’s best friends forever and ever and ever and ever), and babies.  Of course you love your baby, got it, but I will cringe if you post a "just woke up to this face, so blessed!" status.   I’m only impressed by this baby (arrow pointing downwards).  And even then she’s a booger because she barely likes me.

My niece, who is not naked.  She has a cute diaper on.

Also impressed by this unbelievably awesome little girl 


(how can I make sure that if my birth control fails me that the kid ends up like this one?)

Love and compliments are super duper, but let's keep it mostly between the happy couple.  Instead of splashing it to your unsuspecting facebook friends/blog readers.

Counterpoint (haha, beat you to it): announcing how much love and happiness and fun friendship times is in your life is a beautiful happy thing to spread and share, and RoseRunner, you, are just bitter and no fun at all.

Rebuttal: sharing how awesome your love and social life is does not equate to other people being happier for hearing it.  Possible side effects may include a recipient feeling like their life is lacking, like they are unlucky in love, like they have a deficit of schaudenfraude for the day.  The more “blessed” you claim you are, the more others get to wonder, “so…does that mean if I don’t have an adorable baby…that someone decided not to bless me?  You got the special treatment, huh?”

Speaking of announcements of mushy love, good grief have I been keeping a secret up in here.  It’s been almost a year of sealed lips.  I need to clear a few sources and then fair warning, its mushy time.

37 comments:

  1. sharing how awesome your love and social life is does not equate to other people being happier for hearing it.

    You have put into words how I feel more and more every day. I have been getting cross with myself for getting stabby feelings every time one of my friends has to post a mushy picture of her happy-happy relationship or her lovey-lovey couple activities... I was thinking I was just some jelly hater, but now you have expressed it perfectly. The problem does not lay with me and my reaction, but them and their expectation. What did they expect? why are they posting these pictures? did they really think it would MAKE MY DAY to witness all this?

    All that said, I allow myself to post one picture of me+the BF, every time we see each other, which is 2-3 times a year maximum. This is partly so that all my friends who listen to me suffer through my long distance relationship can see their hard work pay off... I hope it does make them happier for seeing it!
    /rant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some amount of mush and gush is always appropriate. I'm happy to read it until it is ALL the time

      Delete
  2. Good god, I'm 25 and I'd probably flip out if someone ate all my candy, even though I don't even like it that much. What a saintly child.

    I assume the secret involves an engagement? Did I just ruin it? Typical. If I'm right, congratulations! If not, congratulations on something else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you aren't going to gush about US anymore.

    Out of sight, out of mind I guess...

    I say you should follow the exact pacing plan from last year for CIM...because it was brilliant ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will say that I 100% agree with you about the gushing but as a mom I can tell you refraining from the baby love is SO difficult. When another child says something you might think "Ha, that's cute." but when your child says the same thing it's "LOL, YOU ARE A GENIUS!"

    Smart plan for CIM. I would run the exact same way. The course elevation map leads itself to a nice second half if you plan it right and with your struggles going out TOO conservative could back fire as well. Just wrap your mind around the pain game and you will surprise yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, no foam rolling?! Interesting... I played PT on my stupid hips about a week before my marathon, and they were killing me during my race. Maybe I should incorporate a consistent hamstring stretch into my routine.

    I love hearing the differences between your training for CIM last year vs. this year. I hope you crush it! That sub-3:00 will be yours someday, for sure!

    And I reserve the right to be all gushie-wushie-smoochy-woochy about my little guy. He's only young once. And due to my poor time-management skills, I like to sometimes use my blog as a way to document him growing up (because I can't keep a blog AND scrapbook. I am NOT Martha Stewart).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, that half you just ran (last minute, no plan, etc.) was pretty fast. Bet you can beat last year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to think the lovefest part was aimed at the circle-jerk of running bloggers who MAYBE went to the Olympic trials and MAYBE just did Ragnar Vegas. Even if not, I know they read you, so maybe they'll shut up after they do. RUN BONER OUT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi RoseRunner! I'm happy to hear your butt/hamstring pain is improving. I've been having similar pain, though not nearly as severe, and was wondering if you could share what hamstring stretch you're doing that is helping. I'd love to get rid of this nagging pain! I apologize if you've talked about this 2143135 times on your blog and I somehow missed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fix that pain! My simple stretch: place heel of one foot on the surface of a chair or couch or bed, knee height or so. I just slowly lean forward and reach for my foot, and important, HOLD and continue to deepen the stretch for a full minute. After 30 seconds you will want to stop, but keep holding it!

      I'm sure my time off helped too. If you can afford to, try just 4-5 days off, while stretching a lot. I don't know why but my pain hurt a lot right after my time off, and then suddenly started feeling better by the day.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I need to start doing the stretching. Thankfully I'm resting now and made it through my training to marathon day without the pain getting too serious, but I'd love for it to clear up before starting my next cycle.

      Delete
  9. Well my PR is still the marathon I didn't taper for and ran a 20 miler the week before. So I am all for your 3 week taper and predict a PR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, thank you for pointing out the stupidity of some of these 'OMGHAPPY!' Tweets, posts, FB statuses and the like. Seriously, Tweeting 'So blessed - just woke up!' every day just makes me feel ill. I mean, spreading positivity is one thing but being so disingenuous and fake just has the opposite effect. It's so sickening that it just makes me determined to be even more of a miserable git than I usually am.

    On the strength of your half marathon I'd say you might surprise yourself at CIM - I am willing things to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post. I am with you about the gushing. I can't stand the "I am than full", "I feel blessed". Grr!
    I say you are going sub 3:05 at CIM. Did you read Hansons's Marathon Method? They provide some really compelling evidence about how one only needs 90 min long runs to build endurance, and 20 milers are overkill. Good luck and keep it real:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish you much success at CIM this year. I think taking a few weeks off did your legs some good. Even if it was very discouraging because you felt like you were losing your speed. I think you have a killer base and it would take a much longer break to lose your strength and speed.

    I hope I don't sound like a jerk... But, I really wish your training/running was more structured. My body falls apart at 50 miles per week. So I probably will never know the joys of 80+ miles per week. I know you don't like to follow a paint- by- the numbers program and you decide how you run on your terms. But, I think you are so talented and that if you were to hire a coach or would follow a structured training plan. I think you could go under sub 3 easily. Just my two cents.

    I also think you live in one of the most competitive areas to run in. There are lots of fast ladies in the bay area. If you lived in my neck of the woods (Las Vegas) you would have tons of free stuff (shoes, race registrations, running clothes, etc.) thrown your way.

    One last thing, Congratulations on your win last weekend at Running with the Jets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I wish I liked structure too. I'm sure I could benefit in many ways from it, not just in my running. Maybe one day I will desire a goal strong enough to train perfectly, but for now, I will continue my love affair with running in a flexible, messy way.

      Delete
  13. I hope CIM goes well, glad that the butt crease pain has subsided a bit. I definitely think you have a shot at a 3:04 PR.

    And you always have the best thought provoking posts of anyone out there. You point about gushing about "boyfriends, girlfriends, wives, kids, friends, bffeeee's (that’s best friends forever and ever and ever and ever), and babies." makes me that I don't have any of those people lol. Yes maybe in the future I will have those people, but who knows.

    The main thing I post on my personal facebook is the events/places that I go to (mainly sports related). I almost see that as being equivalent to other people posting about their kids/significant other or something. Everyone has the right to post about what makes them feel good, though as long as people don't seem to almost gloat that they may be living a better life than you are.

    And is that weird that I almost view me running a big race as having a kid or something? Married people have tons of announcements to the world - the engagement, the wedding, kids, anniversary, etc. Single people never have any announcements for anything. I'm glad that people are married and have kids, just something I thought about sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How do you KNOW you can't run conservatively unless you've tried? If you're "undertrained", it doesn't make sense to redline early.

    Here is how I look at it: you can run your slower miles when you're feeling good at the beginning and then speed up when you're gonna feel shitty anyhow, or you burn through glycogen quickly and run slower than you would have had you not had the good sense to hold back. Negative splits are EASIER to run than positives, just requires some patience. For a non hobby jogger example of how to do this well, look at what Meb did at the Olympics this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to really think on this. I hear you. My concern is that whether I start at a 6:50 pace or a 7:10 pace, well, they are both pretty fucking fast enough to tear through my glycogen and make me feel like death at mile 24. But what would you recommend for someone aiming for 2:59-3:04? aim for a 1:32 first half?

      Delete
  15. My thoughts RE: mushy love/BFF posts on Facebook/blog - they're not for readers. When people write those kind of posts/status updates (with the rare exception of say, a best friend or a parent) I skip them entirely. But they're not for me. Right?

    I did an anniversary post maybe 18 months ago (awkward, that means I skipped this year) and it was entirely for the hubs. Because he genuinely loves it when I broadcast vomit-inducing love lyrics over the Internet. Seriously, he loves it. He would never in a million years say that, but he totally does.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The little girl in the video is SO ADORABLE. I love her so much. As for status updates, my bf is constantly asking me, "So how does that piece of information affect anyone's life?" Or, "Why did you post that? What were you hoping to accomplish from telling everyone about that?" It's a good reminder, but sometimes it's a bit annoying. :)

    As for CIM, I say go with your gut! You will know on race day what will work best for you given your conditioning. I'm a big fan of trusting your instincts. You're an experienced enough runner to decide for yourself what to do (and not what others *think* you should do). If it doesn't work out, then it's a valuable lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, however annoying someone's gushing is, I would never rain on their parade by calling them personally out on it! Then everyone is annoyed. The bf is way harsh. But I also assume that your facebook posts are awesome. Friend me?

      Delete
  17. I agree with you about the gushing about friends/family/kids/best friends, I do roll my eyes when someone only posts about how much "[she] loves her hubby" or "how lucky [she is] to be a mother". I feel the same way (or probably will in the future), but I just feel goofy. However, the social network version of PDAs is much better than passive aggressiveness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, I think that's part of what makes me roll my eyes extra hard -- is that we ALL have moments of happiness or bright feelings of squishy love for someone, and most of us let that out privately with their special person. but there is this select few who think they experience it uniquely and have to declare their luck and happiness in public...and often...

      Delete
  18. CIM. Based on the Jets Half I have no doubt you have sub 3:05 in you. It all depends on your bod that morning, no? Hold back on the first half rollers and crush that second flat half!

    FB makes me nuts. I think the overposts on current obsessions bug me more than the gushy. I take it back, they both bug. I finally learned how to block posts without unfriending so I feel like a super tech genius (not).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am anxiously awaiting:

    1. Your CIM report
    2. Your big reveal

    My intestines can hardly handle the stress (no, seriously).

    Also, I feel you on the mushy point. I hardly talk about that stuff online at all. Or I try not to. A SPRINKLING is fine, but other than that...just no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahah... the intestine... hilarious :-)

      Delete
  20. http://www.thebodymechanic.ca/ once published an interesting essay on foam rolling - I don't have the exact link, but I remember the write-up because he made a pretty decent case *against* rolling. Thought it might interest you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting...I'm going to read it, thanks

      Delete
  21. RELAYS ARE THE BEST THING EVERRRRR!
    (hey man, I see that jab).

    But actually I get your point. It can really be hurtful to see exclamations of awesomeness all the time when you're in a down point in your life.

    Good luck at CIM. Turns out I'm running it too. I'm feeling equally apprehensive about my running ability and I'm definitely not able to keep up the same paces I was last year. Depressing shit I suppose.

    Hope to see you out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please lets find each other in Sacramento! I will forgive your relay love if you equally gush about me when we meet.

      Delete
  22. I just read about six blogs posts in a row of yours because I'm finally lazy enough to catch up. So. Hi friend! Sad I missed you while in DC but now I live 2K miles closer. Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cupcakes and alcohol and your face were tempting, but when you lost your electricity I decided my hotel bed would have to do. Where'd you end up now, Colorado?

      Delete
  23. Ahhhhhh!!! Dance Party!!! How come there are never dance parties when I come over? I expect one next time now.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!