Monday, December 3, 2012

I Survived CIM 2012

Super-sized blog recaps are for races that deserve it, but yesterday I was in a "just get this over with" mindset from the moment I woke up....and with that attitude (among other things), I ran 26.2 as comfortably as I could given the weather, without whipping out the appropriate drive, intensity, or pain that would be necessary for a PR.

Unofficial results posted: 3:11:47, 63rd place woman, 24th in age group (compare to 101st place woman last year with a 3:05:08!), 7:19 pace.

I went to bed Saturday night dreaming that the storm, which was forecasted to bring 25 mph headwinds promptly at the 7:00 a.m. start time and then seize around noon (seriously, do weather gods HATE marathons this year?), would finish early and become gentler.  Instead, I woke up, checked the weather, to find that 7:00 a.m. was now scheduled to have 35 mph winds.  WHAT the what?  Look outside window: oh yes.  I do not want to be outside.

Got it done, went outside, took the shuttle to the start after happily bumping into Beth, Katie, Jana, and Cate.  We were all kind of giggly with excitement and denial about how the wind was howling at the rain (which was pouring) outside the bus window.

I stood fort in the VIP tent, which I got into for being a very famous running blogger.  That doesn't exist, stupid, it was a VIP tent for Folsom hotel stayers.  I watched the tent slap us and knock chairs over as we all tried to pretend it was protecting us from the elements until 7:00 a.m. came.  Ran into Joseph, wished upon a star that the VIP port-o-potty didn't get blown over from the wind (I swear this was a REAL possibility!), and headed to the start in my poncho.

Mindset: PR city is out of the question.  May drop out halfway if I feel terrible or like I am risking my health.  But as I mentioned before, somewhat relieved at the prospect of running a marathon without a goal.  It is a freeing feeling!

Body: feeling fine so far.  Stretched the buttcrease out that morning, and it was a little tight, but I hoped it would hold off on causing the leg-lock/numb-leg feeling (which, I am beginning to realize may be a problem that originates with my calf or IT band....this leg lock thing kind of takes over the whole leg.)

Weather: hahaha.

Gear:  despite the rain it was already 60 degrees with 100% humidity, so I stuck with shorts.  Even though I had just purchased capris to run in.  I ran with the new Garmin 410, and it was a success, I like the thing!

Liz and I found each other at 6:58 a.m. for a session of nervous excitement and bewilderment with how to handle nature.  Meeting her was a huge highlight of the day, check out her recap once it's up cause girl was on FIRE in the midst of this storm.  (read: she ran amazingly).

First mile is fast and downhill, but everyone was running in tight little steps to be careful of wet manhole covers, deep puddles, and because of, yeah, the wind.  I hit mile 1 in 7:05, a good 20 seconds slower than one year ago.

Within the first half mile, I saw two runners wipe out, big time.  One of the wipeouts was so, so disturbing, I wish I could remove the mental image from my mind.  Because it was so dark at 7:00 a.m. from the heavy clouds and difficult to see because of the whipping rain, someone ran straight into a street divider and flew into a small signpost.  I really hope he is okay.

Traumatized, truly, by that sight, I pulled it back.  At mile 0.5, I finally knew for sure, no matter how much I wanted to play hard, that I was going to be gentle today.  Drop out if I had to.  Stop and stretch if I had to.

The combination of this mindset, the headwinds, the leg-lock feeling which piped up at mile 5.5 and stayed through the finish line (waaah, the feeling started at mile 13 last year), and my messy training with a two week break 5 weeks ago, led to a time almost 7 minutes slower than last year.

This is to say: I did not run "a great time given the circumstances!"  It was possible to run a PR, even with the headwinds and the rain.  It happened to several people I know! You just had to really want it enough.  And not have a buttcrease/leg-lock issue.  It was not the weather alone that made me 7 minutes slower yesterday; it was the combination of mind, body, training, and weather.

Not a single mile under 7:00 minutes--BUT, I never fell, I stopped long and hard to give my leg-lock/buttcrease/calves a good stretch, and I finished with blissfully fresh legs.  I think this is the first time I can ever say I think I could go for a run the day after a marathon!  I can walk down stairs like a normal person! It's so great!

My only battle wounds are CHAFING, and the side of one of my feet feels bruised.  I had this problem once before, I think it is the Nike Air Pegasus 29's, so I am retiring those from my racing rotation.  Those shoes also felt too cushiony in the heel by mile 20, which caused me some calf pain.

Oh the horror.  I've been making this face every time I look at it.
And yesterday I was walking like I just got off of a horse because the upper inner thigh area is so chafed.  Vaseline and Sports Glide did not work, because these areas were all slathered very well.

The red in the bottom of the pic is the closest you will get to seeing the business on my inner thigh

However, I did finish with nary a blister, so vaseline on the feet does work! (I put some on before bed, no fresh coat in the morning.  That sounds slippery).

Three more thoughts:

1) drafting does not work.  Not a cent.  Are you kidding? The skinny men all around me were like toothpicks blocking a fire-hydrant spray.

2) Page, Aron, Jessica and XLMIC -- they weathered the storm with huge smiles on their faces and screaming cheers, with a bad ankle, an ultra-marathon ran the day prior (Aron & Jessica), and four kids at home, respectively.  It has been a LONG time since I have gone to a race to cheer or volunteer, and I know I need to change this--my turn is due.  It's a wonderful feeling to be on the receiving end.

3) Music earbuds hate staying in your ears when it is wet and windy.  I listened to music from miles 14-26, and had to push the buds back in every minute.

Splits:

Miles 1-10:  7:05, 7:11, 7:00, 7:01, 7:04, (7:14, 7:27, 7:28, 7:31, 7:16) = wind in face miles,
Miles 11-20: 7:12, 7:15, 7:09, 7:08, 7:21, 7:31, 7:20, 7:16, 7:14, 7:15,
Miles 21-26:  7:21, 7:20, 7:30, 7:53 (30 second stretch break), 7:27, 7:18,
0.26 = 1:54.

Passing the crew of friends at mile 10 -- thanks for the pic XLMIC!

Not much to see here


only a blur, mile 26

After finishing, I walked up to the Gentleman with a big smile, happy to be done.

Thanks for standing in the rain and handing me Gu, love

While heading out of the gates to meet him, a friendly newscaster decided to interview me and apparently I made it on the local news -- I am relieved I don't have to see it.

According to Liz (sorry to quote you my dear!) my 11 seconds of fame was as follows: They started off the broadcast showing trees blowing sideways, and wind pelting the runners. Fun to see from a different angle (i.e.:not the one being pelted!)...and they talked about the weather slowing runners down significantly. You were so drenched, but super cute, they sound bited you: "It was my first marathon in the rain. Very tough. About 10-minutes slower than where I wanted to be"

I swigged some chocolate milk (I know, and nobody even paid me to!), picked my jaw up off the floor after hearing how well Liz did, and headed to a pub for lunch to erase the memory of Gu and Gatorade (ew ew sugar sounds SO gross after marathons) with some salt and beer.

Chicken pot pie, fish & (sweet potato) chips, carrot & ginger soup, 18oz. porter

Tell me your story of surviving CIM 2012!

60 comments:

  1. I was a good hour+ from where I wanted to be, but I stuck with a friend who was having a shit time - I figured I wasn't hitting my goal, and I'd rather suffer together than run it alone. So we did. And about mile 20, the sun came out, and we meandered in the last 6 miles in lovely weather.

    PW by a ton, but whatever. I kind of had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You looked so strong when we saw you speed by, I am just sad we couldn't catch up to you after that! You ran a very strong race in some crap conditions, definitely something to be happy about. I definitely have that inner thigh chafing from Saturday :-/ not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! I finished in 3:25...better than I actually planned on. But holy chafing. I'm read along my sports bra, waste, and groin. The groin part was/is the worse. I didn't even realize I had chafed so badly until I took a shower afterwards and my whole body burned when the water hit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I whimpered in the shower...and then I cried. I really did. Hurts more than a marathon.

      Delete
  4. My day surviving CIM was really tough. I had to watch Facebook posts roll by for over EIGHT HOURS.

    :)

    Also, I have a super-secret anti-chafe magicial-ness.....ish. Email me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I hope that guy that hit the signpost in the early miles is okay too. On Sunday morning I was woken up by the storm, the wind and rain just sounded insane outside my window. It seriously sounded like a freight train was outside my window - sort of like what a hurricane would sound like if the bay area ever got a hurricane. I was guessing the wind was around 35-50 mph, and the rain was hard. Just awful luck - seemed like the bay area gets like 1 storm a year that strong, and it just so happened to happen during CIM. It was the loudest storm I could remember in recent memory going back a couple years. So props to you for finishing, no matter the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got in the shower and almost screamed when water hit my sports bra line. Expensive bra and extensive Body Glide were still not enough (I have yet to find a cure for the bra chafing). I agree about the drating, too: That did not work at all. It was like trying to draft behind other cars in the rain -- hello, extra water!

    Your 3:11 was amazing! Congratulations on a great race in those conditions. I'm sorry I didn't get to see you for more than 6.5 seconds at the expo when I was on the phone trying to find someone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man that chafing looks so brutally painful. But hey, you survived CIM 2012! And a ballsy race at that. Congratulations on a still-impressive finish — and with a huge, happy smile on your face, no less!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you survived CIM. It's a bummer that the weather didn't want to cooperate for a PR day. I still think your time is amazing in monsoon conditions. Your celebration lunch looks so good! That sports bra chafe looks horrid. I'm not sure what kind of sports bra you wear, but I have been doing this trick for years and I should have told you about it before the race. Wear your sports bra inside out. That was the seams don't lay flat against your skin. I have suffered some horrible flesh wounds from my sports bras. When I started wearing them inside out the damage was minimized. I hope you heal quickly from your battle wounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I started turning my sport bras inside out a few years ago. Usually works, and it kind of did for CIM...the big rash line is actually from the lining of my t-shirt! I didn't think to turn THAT inside out :(

      Delete
  9. It was so fun to see you run by! And exciting as you can tell by the giant erection on the right side of that photo! We were so bummed that you were so fast because it meant that we never got to see you again :) Yeah, 3:11 in a California-style hurricane is a pretty shit time ;-)

    I cannot believe that chafe-line! YEEEEE-OWWWWWWWW! and I don't even want to see the rest of that inner thigh...I'm cringing in sympathy pain.

    You did a great job out there regardless of what the numbers say to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please explain the subway erection...who brought that!? Jessica?

      Delete
    2. We had 6 of those dildo-esque banger things. Aron or Jessica was responsible for them. .I'm way too mature to procure things like that...I simply point out the obvious.

      Delete
  10. Chafing sounds horrible! But I'm so glad that you made it through without any serious injuries. Sounds like it was super dangerous. Oh and you look super cute at the end of the race. Like a super happy runner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I trained in conditions like this often in the past two years and holy shit, it was HARD. You can settle in and get used to the rain, the wet soggy shoes, etc., but the wind gets absolutely exhausting. Having to run a peak race in that weather would be so, SO disappointing. Cheers to all of you who toughed it out. To be able to bust out a 3:11 between the weather and the injury is, honestly, badass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ouch! that chafing looks sore! I bet that wasn't a fun shower! I can't believe the weather and all these marathons this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy chafage! I only have a few patches -- two at each armpit and some around my sports bra line. I think the Body Glide did work for the under-the-bra line, where I really slathered it on.

    Anyway! Reading your post makes me realize that I should've taken the hotel shuttle like a smart person. My bf tried to drop me off at the McD's where there was supposed to be a shuttle to the start. It took us 30 minutes to drive 2 miles. There was so much traffic that I had to get out of the car in the middle of the road and run to the shuttle! And the bus arrived just as the gun went off. I peed, dropped off my sweats bag, and tore off my sweat pants in 3 minutes. Crazy.

    3:11 is awesome sauce, and still having fresh legs after is even better. Like I said yesterday, you are a super trooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By "shuttle" I meant bus -- I think the trick is to leave earlier! We left at 6:00 a.m. and no traffic dropping me off by the buses. I was huddled in the VIP tent by 6:15!

      Delete
  14. I don't care what you say, you are badass and the weather looked more painful to run in then the power of 1000 suns. Whatever that means...I nearly peed my pants laughing at the "famous VIP blogger tent".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what that means ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  15. Oh dear Lord, that looks like one miserable-ass day. I loathe running in the rain. Good for you for sticking with it, taking it (the RR version of) easy, and finishing strong! The chafing looks horrible. I know that pain and it is brutal. I usually get torn up underneath my boobs. That first shower is always so painful. :(
    Anyway, congrats, super star!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats sticking to it in those conditions!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I had a chance to meet you! I probably was kinda close to you at the start but could not see two feet in front of me. Chafe wise, I look very similar. Where did you get that delicious food at the end? I need to go to there. I am impressed with your time. To think, I was happy because my time started with a 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food was in Folsom, an English-style pub called something Rabbit. It was great! I'll probably be back next year.

      Delete
  18. You are so freaking awesome. I cannot get over how much that weather SUCKED. And my chafing was horrendous to. I was screaming in pain in the shower. Totally agree on drafting. I was behind two 6 ft tall guys for awhile around mile 8 and it did NOTHING

    ReplyDelete
  19. First time commenting. First of all the fire-hydrant spray image is hilariously accurate! Yesterday sucked. I saw some photos from the Sac Bee web site and I'm cracking up with tears over the ridiculousness of it all. PS your one crazy fast chick totally envious. Congrats on your 15 minutes of fame.

    ReplyDelete
  20. AHHHHH my favorite part was seeing you before and after yesterday!!!
    and please tell your Gentleman thank you for calling my Mom & Dad...I don't remember if I properly thanked him, I was in post-run "OMG we survived shock"
    I can't believe how badly your sports bra ate you. My arms rubbed my tank the entire time and oh OUCH it burned so badly in the shower...so much so that I don't want to go swimming today like I planned.
    You've got sub-3 in you...I know it. you are so talented.
    and no problem on the quotes from the news! it was awesome!
    we will run together on a fun and pretty trail, without rain. or wind. SOON!
    xoxo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was miserable for sure. I was way off my time and sort of hated that my first marathon was one I just wanted to be over. But really, you did fantastic given all the conditions -- I'm thinking the weather might have contributed to the leg lock thingie.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I felt awful for all you out there! Man, it's been a rough weather year for marathoners. Seriously, 2013 better be amazing!! Really impressed with your time considering weather, and training leading up to it not being what you wanted! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I once was entered in a race with weather like this. I woke up, looked out and said "screw it" and went back to bed. Consequently, I am in awe of anyone who even showed up this year, including the volunteers and spectators. Going from 101st place woman last year to 63rd place woman this year speaks volumes regardless of the time. What about the overall winner running a 2:16? That is just crazy fast for those conditions. You really ought to get this leg thing figured out. It can't be fun trying to run fast with a bum leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So tempting to stay in bed...but knowing thousands of others were going to troop through it made it mentally much easier.

      The bum leg was growing on me, I was thinking of keeping it ;) Kidding, I hate it, it's not fun, and I really thought it was on it's way up for good in early November...it was very disappointing that it was an issue for so much of the 26 miles. I think I ran too hard the 2 weeks before the race.

      Delete
  24. You are amazing! UM OUCH... those chafing scars are no joke! Wait no one paid you to drink the chocolate milk;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Utterly in awe of you CIM runners and SO thankful the blogosphere didn't lure me into running it!!! Congratulations on a great time and OW those chafing scars are hideous! Without meaning to be rude.
    Badge of honour!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It was nice running into you in the "VIP blogger tent", lol. I am so glad I stayed in Folsom. I managed a 3:24:20 for my first marathon. The 3:25 pacer said it felt like a 3:10 effort with the wind so that gives me a positive outlook for my next marathon. I threw my poncho away at about mile 3 so I was completely soaked for most of the race. I almost ran into a road block and a cop car because no one wanted to move over for me. I felt good until mile 23 where I swore that I would never ever run another marathon because my feet and hamstrings hurt so much. The past two miles lasted forever but I was motivated because I was passing so many people. The 3:25 pacer had about 20 runners in the beginning and 2 at mile 25; myself and a woman who I think dropped back at 25.5. I'm happy with my time especially considering the weather and that it was my first with broken training (20 miles a week in November after 2 months off).
    With a 3:11, I'm thinking you had a good chance at a PR if it wasn't for the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Folsom VIP what what! Totally worth staying there for the later wake-up call and the tent. You KILLED it, wow, especially with your training issues (was it a bum knee?) and for your FIRST marathon!? So awesome. I remember those cop cars, what the hell were they doing in the middle of the route?

      Also, I know the feeling at mile 23. This is the first time I haven't had it. The "I will NEVER do this AGAIN" feeling. Oh, you will. You definitely will.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I had a knee issue from banging it into the door frame. My knee tissue is sore but so is everything else. I've already signed up for Mountains2Beach in May for my next marathon.

      Delete
  27. You are a BEAST for finishing that. And how precious...we have matching chafe marks on our chests...must be our big boobs. (but mine is from sweaty AZ and not rain, you win)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These chafe marks are totally worth it now that it led to my boobs being called big. You win.

      Delete
  28. Nice! I would SO love to "survive" with a 3:11! (I mean that in a totally jealous/admiration way... Not jealous/bitchy.) I hope that your rash crap clears up quickly. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. I meant it in a t-shirt slogan kind of way -- "I survived Splash Mountain." Uh....I would hope so....

      Delete
  29. Yeouch!!!! That chafing looks like it hurts, but sooooooo worth it!! That 3:11 is something to be really proud of! Way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. For the record, when we saw you you were SMILING. WIN!

    You know I already think this, but you're a bad ass. Congrats on surviving and dominating that brutal race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU GUYS MADE ME SMILE! And it was also kind of fun. I admit it.

      Delete
  31. That's pretty impressive given the conditions. But your chafing is even more impressive .Good gracious! That must be agony!
    And I totally agree with you on no sweets after a marathon. After all the concentrated sugar of gels and Gatorade, I just want salty foods.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brave soul!! LOL Great job and congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I chafed on my chest like that after the 2011 LA Marathon. I used Mederma to prevent scarring since I wanted to protect my precious cleavage.

    Salty and greasy food sounds perfect after 26+ miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised my chest isn't a map of scars from all the damage sport bras have done. I should get some of this Mederma...

      Delete
  34. The description of that guy's spill is hard to read, wow. We had to dodge all the trashbags and hats that were within the first couple of miles, which was one of my major concerns of falling over.
    What's with body glide not actually helping your body glide? I was pretty lucky overall, went with the tights option and got a bit of chafing but nothing as bad as your neck, uck that must be painful.
    Nice job being gentle on yourself, hoping that the butt crease issue gets out of the way and you head to PR City soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds majorly annoying (the dodging). I ditched my poncho 5 min before the start, I'm not sure what the point of running it one was...or running in one for the first mile.

      As for the body glide fail, I think I didn't really consider where my shirt lining hit my chest...I probably put it on lightly there. The thighs, eh, I've got runner thighs, NOTHING can stop that friction ;)

      Delete
  35. My chest and thighs are chafed just from looking at these photos. Damn. Congrats on running such a great time in those conditions, and here's hoping your next marathon isn't quite so adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Holy chest chafe woman!!! I bet showers are killing right now :(

    Conditions sucked but I still find you freaking awesome. I know your time is not in the spot you want it to be... but it is still so impressive. 2013 will be your sub 3 year.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi! I would love to invite you to enter into my first givaway @ www.iheartrunning.com and also to become one of our daily featured runners on Running Bloggers. Interview instructions can be found on www.runningbloggers.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask me again in a month if you're still interested. Thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  38. I had to come out of lurking to congratulate you on the race. Those conditions sound...less than ideal...but at least you stuck in there and were rewarded with delicious looking food and beer. I am a huge fan of dark beer and your pic makes me crave one (in a totally healthy way, I swear).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to dark beer! Always, always. Thanks for delurking :)

      Delete
  39. HAHAHAHA re: drafting toothpicks. Bummed we didn't cross paths but happy to hear you survived and finished feeling good. And holy crap the carnage at the front of the pack? Hearing your & Liz horror stories makes me grateful I was tucked in safe and sound way behind you :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. The chafing was worth it? Great effort in horrible conditions! When I grow up I want to be a tough runner like you! :) I agree re drafting. In Vegas, I tried running behind large groups of men. Nothing. Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your report cracked me up! Some of my favorite events have been the ones where the conditions were less than ideal. Runners truly are a crazy bunch to find this "fun". :) Congratulations on an awesome race! You all did so well despite the conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  42. The advantage of living somewhere with shitty weather: I didn't think it was THAT bad once we got going. The headwind from 6-10 kinda sucked, but otherwise it was okay.

    The disadvantage: I live where I do.

    Fun race! Though sitting in the bus in the dark watching the rain go sideways was frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  43. P.S. The first mile was scary. I got multiple elbows to the forehead and saw wipe outs too. Part of this could probably be smoother if they had corrals - I shouldn't be stuck behind people walking in the first mile!

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!