Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Smile

I suppose I had a more spectacular time in that storm than I realized, because I am grinning like a goof in every picture that the marathon released.

oy mate, jolly good time 
Follow me, chaps! Away we go, fun times ahead
Chip chip, cheerio! I can't rub off me smile blokes, blimey!
I got a pocket, got a pocket full of sunshine

Evidently, I equate goofy smiles with a chimney sweep accent or something of that sort.

I'm feeling gently hesitant about posting these photos, because this time the race slapped DO NOT COPY on every picture.  Buuuuut this is only a small dip into the proof of my goofy smiles....there are many more.  If you think this is really terrible of me (i.e. you are the photographer or a party pooper), let me know, and I'll think long and hard about taking them down (41 seconds long, hard like marshmallow texture).

Photographs courtesy of here.  Buy a picture if you like.  Find a beautiful person and just buy it.

Finish line.  Happy-ish?

Another reason I know I must have been having fun, is because although for several months I have been tinkering with the notion of running the Napa marathon in March of 2013, now the idea thoroughly excites me.

Reasons why I was planning on running it:

1) It is in my hometown.  Very convenient, and the one and only time during the year I can get my family to watch (if I'm lucky.  My dad has come to the finish line both times I ran it, and my mom cheered from the sidelines one year.)

2) I ran it in 2007 and 2010.  I'm really into this 3-year pattern, so it looks like I'm on the hook 2013 and 2016.

3)  I knew I wasn't going to be in top shape for CIM due to my time off in October, and thought it would be nice to find a different marathon later in the winter that I would feel more confident about.

Reasons why I am now even more interested in running it:

1) I was going to decide on Napa after CIM, to learn if I would desire a marathon that soon afterwards (about 12 weeks).

I usually only do one marathon/year, because I sense from the soreness afterwards that it is too intense on my body, and because that 'I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN' feeling that sneaks up on you at mile 23 is usually too fresh in my mind to try it again within 10 months.   I did two marathons in 2011 (Eugene and CIM), but they were 7 months apart.

With CIM now behind me, I feel spritely and ready to jump into another marathon soon.

Speaking of spritely, I'm kind of into the idea of not going "all out" in marathons anymore.  Remember my love/hate post about the marathon? A huge part of the hate was my fears, which were based largely upon concern that marathons are unhealthy for my body.  Because in the past, it has left me absurdly sore, and unable to really run like myself again for 2-3 weeks.  That's concerning to me.  Having finished this marathon feeling so....normal, and not facing that 'I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN' moment during the marathon, I have so much less fear for it.  So much less.  I can run a marathon at 88% effort, and be relatively kind to my body.  This is a relief to me.  And a huge epiphany.

Three cheers for running timidly!

2) The never-ending hunt for a PR.

To be sure, I'm not going to run Napa to avenge what could have been at CIM.  I'm not expecting anything BIG out of Napa.  I just want to be there.  This event has been a big part of my running life and I want to revisit it and my hometown streets.  I won't be disappointed at all if I land on another 3:11.  Or another rainy day.  If it's rainy AND windy again, I will cry.  And run naked to avoid chafing.

3) I had so much fun at CIM.  Mostly because of the friendly faces I saw everywhere.  So please, I beg, sign up for Napa with me! It will be so much more fun this way.  You can stay at my parents house with me! Or we can rent a comfy room in Calistoga.  Do it!

Napa looks like a fast course, but in my past two experiences, it is not a guaranteed PR course.  Kind of like the Healdsburg Water to Wine half marathon I ran, the "net downhill" rolling hills knocks you off pace, because it always feels like the uphills are longer (or harder to recover from) than the downhills.

Also, it is monotonous.  Vineyard, vineyard, oh boy, another vineyard.  It is directly into the morning sun, so wear a visor--and, it seems to rain every few years.  The crowd support is great in about 3 spots, and lonely as can be elsewhere.  It finishes at my high school, which is....oddly depressing to me.  I don't know why.  But I don't feel like a champion when I'm walking around the "senior row" where I acted like a douche 10 years ago.

CIM aftermath.

shiiit, my chest chafing marks still hurt! I think I forgot to mention, these are from my t-shirt, NOT my sports bra.  So I'm confused why not EVERYONE got this kind of chafe mark?  That bright pink Target running shirt is either trash-bound, or I will only wear it inside-out now.

I'm taking it easy this week, just some light walking and movement to loosen the legs up (no running yet).  I was going to swim this evening but work kept me later than planned.  I will likely swim Thursday, run Friday, and am feeling optimistic and excited about this graceful recovery and refreshed body (minus the chafing).

I have some things in mind to get my leg-lock issue settled before jumping back in to running hard.   Most of it involves stretching.  Maybe less speed work.  Possibly doing some Jillian Michaels dvd's.

Napa: who's there, who's square?  

26 comments:

  1. Don't forget Zumba!!
    I posted my race photos today too. Twinsies. haha. I wonder if SportPhoto will hunt us down? Anyway, love the pictures of you leaving all those dudes in the dust in your bright pink tee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thing about not going 'all out'...so funny...I was just talking to my husband about that. Like Jen, I love the photos of the pack of men chasing you down! And you're just smiiiiilin' .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would have never known what you went through if you just saw your pictures - you look fabulous!

    Napa is actually on my radar . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I think you are strong enough to run the NAPA and it would be fine. My guess (due to all my deep doctor knowledge...) that you'll recover from this marathon more quickly than others. I love your race photos because you look cheerful and the dudes behind you. It looks like you are having a great timr and not upset due to the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a copyright provision called fair use. I suspect taking a few screen shots and putting them on your blog is fair use. You aren't selling them, or even using them in a salacious way to drive traffic to your blog. If anything, you're encouraging people to buy photos by showing what good quality they are.

    Vineyards sure are dull to look at, unless you own one. But what they produce, oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we have the same T Shirt...but now I'm terrified of it, having seen the chafage!

    Do Napa! I googled to see if there was a half marathon so I could run it too (no more 26.2s for me, thanks) but there's not...so I'd need to cheer and spectate, whilst drinking the local produce. I could do that for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be on board for spectating/cheering/wine drinking too!

      Delete
    2. I will treat you both to an amazing lunch and/or wine tasting tour if you make it!

      Delete
  7. These pictures are so cute! Your "goofy" smile betrays your love of the marathon. You've GOTTA sign up for Napa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is kind of hilarious that you were smiling the whole time. I know what you mean about 88% effort. It's like 100% less pain for a few minutes!

    I was also very overwhelmed by the copyright protection in the photos. Dudes ain't playin' aorund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why my name just got recorded as fasterbunny. Google is weird.

      Delete
  9. The only chafing I have was ALSO from my shirt. WTF. Normally my boobs destroy any attempts at pinning them down and I am chafed all to hell, but not with CIM. Weird.

    I was toying with Napa. You should do it.

    Running for FUN is way better than trying to run fast. Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I WISH they had a half distance and I would totally come out...I have a full mid Feb so I wouldn't be mentally ready to tackle another. LUCKY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want you to run Napa so bad because then it's easy for me to come cheer!! Basically I'm just being selfish. But I would be so stoked if you ran it. I would come cheer all along the way and spray you with champagne or dump gatorade on you at the end. I'll let you choose which one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. I guess I choose champagne, just to make you buck up more $$$. Can't wait to see you soon

      Delete
  12. I love the idea of a not all-out marathon! Napa's nice and close, and vineyards are pretty, so I'm strongly considering it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol on the pics!

    And I'm glad that you don't dread another marathon - it seemed like you dreaded running CIM. Seems like doing something that you dread isn't worth doing unless it's your required job. Though I understand what you mean, since in your mind you know how much it's going to hurt to go all out for a whole marathon. Though I miss that feeling of pushing your body to the limit, and hope to be able to do a marathon again sometime. So I guess I wouldn't take that feeling for granted, since you never know if you will be able to have that feeling again.

    Glad to know that you look forward to the Napa marathon, and have a plan to not run them all out now to enjoy the process more. You may have a harder time getting a PR with this approach, but seems like you will enjoy everything more - which seems to be your goal right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful reminder not to take that feeling for granted, a feeling I love, even though I want to do right by my body....which is only getting older...

      Delete
  14. it doesn't look like you had exerted any effort t in your finish line photo, you were just cruising in...looking strong. I guess that's what happens with an 88% effort and wow that's an impressive time for that sort of effort.

    So in response to your question about the butt/hip/hamstring/weirdo spot that I've been dealing with-- my doctor didn't really know what it was, my best guesses were that it was promixal hamstring tendonitis or a hamstring insertion site strain (diagnoses from an ortho sports med MD and from a physical therapist that I cornered in the hallway at work one day.)

    At first, I tried running on it and it never got to more than a 4/10 on the pain scale and it would gradually feel better after a couple miles, which really threw me off and was annoying because it's never been bad enough to not run on at all. I finally just called it quits for a month or two (I lost track) and I really think total rest was the solution. I also have lifted weights and done a bunch of weighted lunges and reverse lunges twice (not like that would really help), but maybe that's going to help give me some strength in my hips that will keep this from flaring back up. I've just been running 3 times so far and it's fine, so I'm just working my way up sorta gradually. I was really surprised that your total rest break didn't fix your problem. So I don't really have anything useful to add. I've never had the lock-up issue, just the weird pain in the back of my hip/leg/hamstring insertion site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok maybe not a 4/10, but it was more like a 3/10

      Delete
    2. one-two months off....ick :( There were great improvements after my 2-week break, but after my third or so week of running and incorporating speed work back in, the old pains came back. Maybe it's my stride. Gotta do more lunges...hope your return to running continues to be successful!

      Delete
  15. I just love how there's a pack of men chasing after you in all the pictures! As for the but crease thing, I've had a lingering but at stable butt crease pain as well. It affects the proximal hamstrings minimally, but I think it's mostly an external rotator muscle/tendon (such as the piriformis) that is sore, and I think it's fairly common amongst runners. Only cure I now of is LOTS of stretching. You can also massage it out by sitting on a medicine or tennis ball and rubbing the area out. Hurts like hell but seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, definitely the hamstring an piriformis are part of the issue for me, as I get the most release from the pain if I stretch those two mid-run. I gave up on foam rolling/ tennis ball because I felt like it was making things worse...maybe I was hitting the wrong spot?

      Delete
  16. Dang you were happy! I love how every picture has a huge group of men behind you ha! DO NAPA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm running Napa!!!!! As a training run for Boston, so I won't be out there trying to kill the click either :) And I need a place to stay! We HAVE to make plans! Yayyyy! I was so NOT excited about this race until now :)

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!