Thursday, January 10, 2013

Salads are for Babies

I'm just going to dump out the photos on my iphone to create a guide of something to talk about.  That's how blogging works, yes?

Thank goodness for sisters and birthdays.  One of them had these show up at my office.  That's bananas and apples up top.  I very reluctantly shared with my coworkers ;)

We started Netflixing Homeland.  Sometimes when you press pause at an awesome moment, you have to take photos to commemorate it.

No....no she isn't....

Yes! She is! She's eating lettuce!

She's probably under the influence of healthy food bloggers.

We went after pastries instead of lettuce.  My dear friend, who hung out in a crib with me when we were naked babies, helped me pick the perfect dessert at the Oxbow Market in Napa. 

four inches of cream to a centimeter of pastry.....perfection

Running:

I signed up for a half marathon that is in early February, exactly 4 weeks before the Napa marathon, so I can check myself and see what kind of shape I'm in.  Practice operating with my leg-lock issue, strategize when to stretch and how to do it quickly while racing.  No goals, just a "practice" run.

You'd think signing up for a marathon would be the thing to get me working extra hard, but, it isn't meant to be right now.  I have been working "eh" hard.  Normal hard, for me.  Not "I want a PR" hard.

It's not a lack of motivation, or a burn out.  It's just what is working for me right now, and what I think my legs want.  I've avoided the track, and while sprint repeats never test my body the way tempos do (in terms of my leg-lock issue), I figure toning down the frantic speed work can only make my body a little happier.

And so without the track, I have only a few options: easy whatever run; steady "tempo" style runs; and fartleks.  And I've been doing those, kind of.

For example, this week, on both Wednesday and Thursday (today) I ran 8-9 miles outside at a steady harder pace.  On Wednesday it was 8.6 miles in one hour at between a 6:45-7:10 pace; on Thursday it was 9 miles at something like a 7:05 pace.  (warm-up and cool-down miles not included).

The good news is that my legs felt AWFUL both days (not sore, but weirdly...weak or something.  Like that tingly feeling when you have wine after running), and I still was able to hang onto those paces somewhat comfortably.  7:10 is almost comfortable right now.  6:50, not so comfortable.  All I have to do is hit a slight incline and then I struggle to hit under 7:00.

Oh right, anyway, back to the point which is that I am signed up for a half-marathon.  The Kaiser half marathon in San Francisco.  I signed up after seeing the date (perfect distance before the Napa marathon!) the time (8:00 a.m., neato!), and the location (San Francisco is my posh neighbor!).  I haven't seen the course because the website is poorly designed enough that I gave up looking for it, so for all I know this is a trail run.  That's cool with me.

*****

Work is busy and exciting, and if it keeps up I may stick with 1 post/week....which bums me out a little.  I like to feel like I'm part of the blog community, and lately I feel all out of the loop.  Did the holidays throw us all off? Or am I alone on that?

Also, my brain is afraid of something.  I've been having nightmares constantly! The best part about my nightmares (because I get to laugh at it later) is that when I try to scream in my dreams (usually at a burglar trying to get in our apartment, or already in our apartment) I sometimes...succeed.  hehe.  But instead of a real scream, it sounds like a ghost.  Like "oooOOoaaAAooo."  And I work hella hard in my sleep state to make this little wimpy warbling noise.

Sign up for the Kaiser Half Marathon with me?

Who else talks or screams in their sleep?

26 comments:

  1. One of our most favorite things is pausing at awkward face moments. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so rewarding when it is accidental

      Delete
  2. I was once told by a friend that I'd yelled "But I don't HAVE to say the pledge of allegiance if I don't want to!" while sleeping. As far as I know, that's the most interesting thing I've ever done in my sleep.

    "Like that tingly feeling when you have wine after running"... not sure I've felt that before! Wine seems to go down pretty well post-run for me.

    I REALLY want to start watching Homeland soon. Must find a free source...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My legs always tingle if I have alcohol after a long run...even kombucha will make them tingle!

      Delete
  3. I've been having nightmares this week too!!! Such a bad one the other night I was scared to go back to sleep and I have NO idea why I'm having them!!!

    I did Kaiser last year...the course is fantastic for the first half and fine for the second course, it's a very PR-able course!!! You'll love it. I'd be doing it again except that I'm in the UK. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last week we watched Total Recall (which was awful, btw) and I had some crazy ass dream that a coffee shop I was in got robbed..(i always try to relate my dreams to something that happened to me the previous day) no screaming, but it still sucked. My Husband tells me I run in my sleep - I move my legs around like i'm running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably improving your running in your sleep! If it's too wild, you should sleep in a sleeping bag like Mike Birbiglia

      Delete
  5. Good call for the half marathon and the pastry. And thank you for being one of the few people who picked up on what I was trying to get on my post this week. Anyways-

    I can actually relate to this. I haven't been not motivated to run, but I'm not PR motivated like I was all summer. I think my training goes hand and hand with the weather and for now I'm just looking to maintain a base and wait until the spring. I mean running in 0 degree snow belt weather is nice...until you slip and fall on the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my mom screams in her sleep, especially when she is on planes, which terrifies all of the passengers so much that she tries to stay awake at all costs. haha. it's ridiculous.

    Great timing for the race! If I didn't live 3,000 miles away I'd definitely want to add that one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean with that "out of the blog loop" feeling. I do think the holidays are partially to blame. It's hard to get back in the swing of it.
    Pictures of desserts like that one, though, will keep me visiting, though. Pacing myself through a marathon? That I can do. Not eating a treat, like that, in 2 bites? Not so successful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Kaiser course is "eh" to use your word. People say it's a great course, a PR course. Eh. The last several miles are along the beach. Boring, kind of flattish out-and-back. Then you finish with an uphill half-mile in Golden Gate Park. I think your intentions for it are good ones. Have you tried hill repeats instead of speed work? Or does that piss off your leg just as much?

    What small child eats salad? I've never seen such a thing! I wouldn't have believed it had you not provided #proof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No official hill repeats, but thank you for the reminder! I sometimes charge up hills hard just on my normal routes...

      Delete
  9. Oddly enough I always must hit pause on the nudey scenes...see we guys have a Y chromosome that requires us to do so. It is always less awkward for the people on the screen...more awkward for those in the room ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the Y chromosome...cause those are the only scenes I watch from Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones. Not awkward at all, I just shout "boobs, boobs, boobs!"

      Delete
  10. The Kaiser course is, like, if you've ever run anywhere on a road or sidewalk in GGP, you've run the Kaiser course. Run down the panhandle, turn around, run to the water, run to the zoo, run a little bit uphill when you really don't want to, done.

    Chocolate-covered APPLES? I want.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! I made it on a post!! My day has officially been made.

    And you are killing me with that chocolate covered fruit. Chocolate covered strawberries are one of my absolute FAVORITE things to eat. And now I want one. Really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nightmares? Just wait til you're pregnant! Dreams get crazy (and weird-kinky!)....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realized that my comment about getting pregnant might come off as insensitive. Sorry, I didn't intend for it to sound that way!!

      Delete
    2. haha, no worries! I currently don't care (and don't know) if my ovaries work.

      Delete
  13. I'll trade you a kombucha for one of those cream puff things. Nice to hear you're doing pretty well :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a really good friend running the Kaiser Half on 2/3! gahhh now that you and him are running it, I so want to scratch Carlsbad and come join you two! :)
    and NAPA desserts!!! when I was visiting my parents in beautiful Napa (in November) we had the most delicious cake/puffs/fudge from the "farmer's Market"?! (next to Gott's) I definitely dream of those, and can't wait until my next visit to Napa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am stuck on that first pic of the chocolate covered fruit...I forgot everything else:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post is so exciting to me. Firstly, I have been staring at the chocolate-covered fruit for roughly an hour. Secondly, Homeland is on Netflix?? Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just got that same edible arrangement for my husband this past week! Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am only saying hi to make the extremely rude picture of chocolate-covered things stop appearing in my google reader every day. RUDE.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy shit. I cannot stop laughing at that freeze frame picture of you mocking Claire Danes.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!