Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ice Cream Headache In My Foot

Starting this week with a jambalaya of random.  First, in running.

  • Monday: 0
  • Tuesday: 0 (one hour swimming)
  • Wednesday: 9.2 a.m., 4.4 p.m., 13.6 total.
  • Thursday: 14.2 a.m. (6 x 1 mile at 6:45-6:55 pace, 1/2 mile easy in between, and 2 long-ish hill sprints) 3.3 p.m., 17.5 total.
  • Friday: 13.2 
  • Saturday: 22.3
  • Sunday: 12.5
  • Total: 79.1 miles

I spent the first part of the week resting my legs, which were sore after last weekends half marathon.

The shorter evening runs are always with the Gentleman, and usually take place at 7:00 or 8:00 p.m., at which time we get home and neither one of us is brave enough to turn down the others' suggestion that we run around the lake.  Thursday's evening run was in the pouring rain, followed by picking up a Round Table Pizza, because desperate times call for desperate measures.  And we were desperate because we forgot to grocery shop the prior weekend.  Hey, did you know that fancy pizza is more affordable than Round Table? Cheers to that.

The second part of the week was mostly easy, fun miles.

Saturday's 22.3 miles is the only one worth a minute here on the blog.  I'm finally feeling okay about the endurance angle.  I ran 26.2 just...9 weeks ago I think, and have sprinkled a few 20 milers in since then.  And this weekend was a nice solidification that the endurance is there.  I felt energetic at mile 22, and while the miles were much slower than marathon pace (8:00-8:30 on the flats, 9:00-10:30 on the hills), it reminded me that 26.2 miles is not that intimidating.  It's not.  Of course, it's the whole running 26.2 miles in a row at a fast pace without stopping that is intimidating...

Part of why the 22.3 miles felt good may be that I've been taking an iron supplement regularly for 1-2 weeks now.  I should fully be able to tell if it has kicked in within another week or two, but as of now, this supplement is treating me well:


I ordered this on Amazon recently after bookmarking it when I read Inspirunning's endorsement of it.  So far, no stomach problems.  So far, not as fatigued as I had been on long runs a few weeks ago.  It's not a cheap habit (30 pills/$15 after shipping), so I'll probably only use it to pick myself up when I'm feeling lower energy, as I had been in January.

Another notable thing about this run, was my attempt to deal with my right foot and the possible plantar fasciitis I experienced during the Kaiser half marathon while wearing these shoes:

Brooks Pure Cadence 2

Several of you encouraged me to give these shoes the boot after they made my foot go stiff and numb while racing.  I plugged my ears and sang, "la la la la," because I had convinced myself they were my marathon shoe, that they were going to give me a faster and springier turnover than the plush Nike Air Pegasus' that my feet sank into while running CIM.  With 3 weeks until Napa marathon, I don't know if I have time to start experimenting with a new pair of marathon shoes.

The foot issue came back full force when I started on Saturday's long run.  I can only describe the feeling as an "ice cream headache," but in my foot.  You know? It's that lingering shock feeling like when you jump off the monkey bars at recess and land on your feet too hard.

I ran four miles in the Brooks, then came home to switch shoes because it felt awful.  I put on the Nike Air Pegasus, and had zero problems with my foot the rest of the run.

But, my hope for the Brooks was not lost!  My friend Jessica suggested I take out the inserts and replace them with old ones from another pair of shoes.  I did that.  Then I went on a 12 mile run in the Brooks.  Success!?!? I didn't have any foot problems.  I'll keep trying that, and hopefully time will prove that the inserts were the problem.  They do have a visibly stronger arch lump than the flatter inserts on all my other shoes.  I'll be trademarking "arch lump".

Random stuff to catch up on:

1) Chobani hasn't sent me any free shit.  I recommend this Fruyo stuff from Fage instead, eat that, Chobani.  It's good.


ladies and gents, it's just YOGURT.  WHO CARES.

2) My niece finally likes me about 3% as much as I am obsessed with her.  She used to like me significantly less.


poor kiddo was sick

My first hug from her!

I was in heaven.  She kept running back to give me hugs.  Swoon!

These pictures are from my parents home last Sunday, Superbowl.  I had run the Kaiser half that morning, and I actively noticed that my running life is distinct from my family and friend life.  The race never came up, and I'm not one to shove running in non-runners ears, so the day came and left and I never had a reason or opportunity to share.  I'm curious if anyone else has an active running life and/or blog, but keeps it mostly to themselves.  In my day to day life, I'm not associating with many people who care about running other than as a thing they joke about doing because they ate too many donuts.....

Too bad my parents will HAVE to act like they care about the Napa marathon, since I will be sleeping all up in their home before it, and all up in their shower after it.

3) Look who I got lunch with!

The one, the only, blurry, twentysixandthensome.com
Page and I work in the same city and have finally initiated what will soon be a very common occurrence by getting lunch.  RIGHT Page? We got delicious pho.  It's a Vietnamese noodle soup dish, but you already knew that.  I also savored half of an avocado shake.

The special kind of look that bloggers exchange over an expanse of table

4) A story.

This speakeasy movie theater that I saw Life of Pi at, was such a great experience that we soon returned, not once, but twice.  We saw Beasts of the Southern Wild last weekend, and Jack Reacher this weekend (as for the latter, well...you can't be too choosy at this theater.  They feature few movies at a time, and this weekend, Jack Reacher was one of them).

This place is all sorts of quirky

Theatre 1, all set up for eating and movie watching

The upstairs comfort zone

We order a million things from their delicious kitchen, park ourselves on a couch, eat, and watch.  Most recently we got a quesadilla full of vegetables, an almond butter and jelly sandwich, a bucket of popcorn, and these fried cheesy rice ball things.

Between the food and the vibe, we love this place.  There is, of course, one problem.

The problem is that Oakland is a divided city.  There are relatively safe places, and by relatively safe I mean that muggings, burglaries, penis flashings, and vehicle theft occur, but a lucky majority who pass through probably do not experience it.  In my neighborhood, I've had the joy of my car being broken into and a penis flashing.  Pure joy. And I consider my neighborhood a good one.  L.O.L. with sadness. yuck.

Then there are places where all my hairs stand on end the second I drive through.  Or accidentally run through.  I quickly learned that you can't just go "wandering" while running in Oakland.

This theater is on the cusp of one of those areas that make my hair stand on end.  All of a sudden the streets are more shadowy, more deserted, more filled with liquor stores, more filled with people who have tourette's syndrome (which is to say, people who have no reservations about spewing nonsense and threats as they walk by strangers).  Just two blocks away and I'd be fine walking around by myself, but on this street, no.

And this is why on our second trip to this theatre, we went during the day.  Daylight equals safety, no?

On our third trip, this weekend, we thought it was silly to waste a beautiful 60 degree day inside of a movie theatre.  So we opted to go in the evening.

As soon as we parked my car, I secured the Club on good and tight.  I gave a kiss goodbye to my car.  I don't take the loyal thing for granted since it was just stolen from me by some crooks last summer (and recovered by the Emeryville police one week later).  In fact, every time I park that car in public, I half expect it to be gone when I return.

We walked towards the theater, just 100 yards away, and in that short walk I saw a very pretty car with its window smashed out.  "Honey.  honey, LOOK.  shit.  I don't know.  I don't know about parking here....I'm sure the neighborhood has learned that all these cars' owners are gone for a solid 2 hours in the movie theatre."

He said "I see it."  And then for no good reason, I said, "If that happens to my car, you're paying for the window."  As if it was his fault that we both decided to see a movie....

For two hours we zoned out with Jack Reacher, who put me on edge well enough since he is like kill, punch, shoot, stab, kill.  The movie finished, we made fun of it, began the 100 yard walk back to my car, and as soon as my sweet little car was in eyesight, I gave it a good scan to make sure the windows were intact.

I could not. believe. my motherfucking eyes.

THERE WAS A PERSON AT MY CAR DOOR TRYING TO BREAK THE FUCK IN.

This was a moment I DREAM about.  In a vengeful kind of way.  Ever since my car was stolen last summer, I have had daydreams about getting back to my car JUST in the nick of time before the thieves broke in and drove away, giving them a loud and bitch gone crazy piece of my mind, and scaring them away and into the arms of the heroes, the Emeryville police.

Trust me, I was NOT happy to see someone breaking in to my car, but on the other hand, I was PUMPED that I was about to catch them.  And also in the back of my head, a little worried I was about to get shot.  Fucking Oakland.

The mess of adrenaline has kind of obscured my memory of what happened next, but I think it went like this:

Me: grabs the Gentlemans arm, "there's someone! at my car! trying to get in!"
Gentleman: starts SPRINTING towards my car, yelling "HEY! HEY!"
Me: sprints after the Gentleman, yelling "that's my CAR, what the HELL are you doing!?"
Gentleman: "what the FUCK are you doing!"

Thief: nonchalantly, slowly, steps away from my car, walks away, acts like nothing is going on.

Me and Gentleman: have sprinted well enough that we are now at the car, defending my sweet little 1999 Honda.  awaiting some sort of stand-off.  prepared to fight to the death.  (not really, not at all, but we were kind of stupid pumped and not prepared for anything).

Thief: ever so quietly, "my car looks the same.  I'm sorry.  Sorry." and.....he was gone.

The kicker is, he wasn't lying.  We watched him get into his car.  It was silver, mine is white, his was parked on a different side of the lot, so he is fucking stupid, but he wasn't lying.

Then we felt pretty bad.  I think that guy had also just got out of Jack Reacher, and was just as paranoid as we were that the real world is all about guns and kill and guns.  He was scared shitless that we had just come charging at him with threatening voices.

Moral of the story: we now know how we would react if we caught someone trying to break into my car.  And we now know that IF this ever happens for real, um, we will not run TOWARDS a crazy person who is desperate enough to break into a car.  Shout, maybe.  Blow a whistle, I dunno.  Not run towards them.  Decision final.

Toodles. 

34 comments:

  1. Your niece is so cute and isnt so great when a kid begins to like you!

    On crime, yeah, once you've been a victim, you tend to be jumpy for a few months. I was mugged years a ago and for months afterwards I would think men were following me in the street and tended to around and tell them to back the eff up. Once "they" were my new neighbor. I almost punched the guy when he stopped behind me as I went to open the door to our building... We're friends, kind of, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm have cautiously judged (some of) my neighbors too, but just trying to be aware, alert, safe....oh AND I have almost been punched a few times while running! Jumpy people with headphones on don't hear me coming and tweak when I run by. I try to give a wide berth.

      Delete
  2. I'm ashamed to say I can empathize with dumb car man. I was in Denver last year and rented a car. Right after I picked up said car, I drove to the hotel I was staying at and checked in before coming out and getting into a car that I then spent literally 20 minutes trying to start (key wouldn't turn). I was frothing at the mouth, sweating my ass off (it was 100+ degrees!), and screaming at someone from the rental company to come fix my car when a nice couple informed me that the car NEXT to the one I was in beeped whenever I pushed the unlock button. Dumbest moment of my life Although in my defense, they really were the same car, rented from the same company! Moral of the story: always check the license plate.

    I can't talk about running with most other people either. Even if I meet someone who tells me they like running, I stay quiet because I feel like an idiot interrupting them to say "Oh my god, I kind of run too let me tell you all about it!" It's a strange thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, me too, once. I was trying to shove my husbands key into a car that wasn't his, and was frantic that the delay was making me late for work. I gave up before the owners caught me though...and blamed it on the key copy.

      Delete
  3. Just a note on the brooks cadence....when I first started wearing it I had the numb foot issue as well. It turns out I was just tying them too tight. I guess with that band at the top you can loosen up a bit?? Anyone, once I loosened the laces, I had zero issues with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I attempted the Brooks Cadence. Hated them. Now they just sit in my closet and hope I'll pick them out of the line up to wear for the day.

    A few years ago someone was stealing stuff out of the toolbox on my Husbands truck - I was leaving work and I saw this guy standing in the back of the truck throwing stuff out onto the ground. I dialed 911 and then started running towards the truck screaming.. dumb dumb. It occurred to me later that, that was probably a bad idea. I lived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughed so hard at the car thief story!! I'm also intrigued...you hate SF because of the Tenderloin/crazy people issues but you like Oakland, which personally I find a million times scarier. Any thoughts why? I'm just being nosy, feel free to ignore.

    And sick kids are SO cute...a part of me loves it when my little boy is poorly because he becomes SO huggy. But I know that makes me a REALLY bad mother!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good question!! Can I do a whole post on this!?

      My hatred for San Francisco boils down to the inconvenience of ALL the fabulous things about it. Whenever we head in, either the bay bridge or BART delays us by an hour. Then we look for parking for an hour. Then we wait in line for an hour for a popular meal. Then a homeless man pees on me or a drunken bro with a giants hat on thinks my car is a taxi and tries to get in (true story).

      I secretly do have a lot of love for sf, but the hassle always becomes the main event! Meanwhile, Oakland and its perfect weather, the fox theater, the amazing food that you can walk in and get seated at, the free and easy parking, the potential to own a beautiful home, the perfect middle location to drive to the north bay, south bay, sf....the weather!! No inland heat, no sf gloom.

      Delete
  6. Some friends and I actually GOT INTO someone else's car... It was the same model, the same colour, and it was parked about half a block away from my friend's car. Apparently the owner had left it unlocked? We all got in and just as my friend was about to try to put the key into the ignition, she looked around with a confused look on her face and said "this isn't my car..." It was pretty hilarious.

    And now I want Pho.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post took a CRAZY turn at the end to the car story- the unexpectedness made me roll in laughter this morning! Glad that it wasn't really getting stolen, and glad that you didn't get hurt (ie: stabbed).

    Having struggled with heel pain/plantar fasciitis/stress fracture, I recommend not messing around with the shoes! Stick with the Pegasus if your feet feel better in them. I am frugal (read- cheap) and the idea of spending 100+ on shoes that don't feel good would be a bitter pill to swallow, but I wouldn't wear them again if they are causing pain. I have barely run since November and would give money to run pain free again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so bitter of a pill (they were a race prize!) but I have to give them just a few more trials! They were working so well for a few weeks there....And the insert change made an immediate differenc.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, the car story.
    As for the PureCadence-- you are making me nervous by considering them for your marathon! I would take them back and exchange them for a shoe that you know works for you.
    I didn't get a chance to comment on your 1:26 half, but girl, I am so impressed! You are going to do so well in your full. (Just don't wear shoes that hurt your feet while running it!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes sense to me that the Brooks' inserts might be the issue here. But.. if you already have a shoe that works for you, then why bother experimenting?

    As for Oakland: SIGH. I know what you mean. My bf and I organized an outing last year in that area (22nd and Telegraph) and our friend's brand new (installed that very same day!) stereo system got stolen. We felt so bad. And then, of course, there was the shooting at Art Murmur/First Friday. But even still, I love this city a lot. I just wish it wasn't so randomly dangerous. Glad your story had a happy/funny ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a love hate relationship with Oakland....I'm leaning towards hate with the first Fridays. Outta control, I definitely saw a shooting in the cards.

      Your poor friend. What bad timing.

      Delete
  10. Carry a small bag of chia with you at all times. When thrown into the eyes, it has a similar blinding effect as pepper spray without the burning, which makes it more humane. Then if you make a similar thief mistake again, you could claim spreading the HLB love and he could have the benefits of chia in his eyes which might help him see that he's trying to get into THE WRONG CAR! Glad everyone ended up safe and unhurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. You, only you.....gold star for creativity.

      Delete
  11. What a crazy story. I'm glad your car was okay and the guy was such forgetful instead of a their. I try to keep the running talk to a minimum when I'm around none runners, althought sometimes it pops out, haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite greek yogurt in the world is Fage, plain. Tastes so good.

    The only reason Chobani sent me stuff is because I randomly tweeted about a greek yogurt cake batter dip one day (didn't even mention the word Chobani). Seemed strange to me, but I wasn't going to say no to free stuff! So you just need to get a twitter account and the yogurt will start flowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh? How'd they get your address from a tweet?

      Tweet tweet, yogurt! Tweet! I will be sitting at my doorstep waiting ;)

      Delete
    2. Totally untrue! I have a twitter account and have been blogging for almost 2 months now and still NO FREE SHIT! Do not succumb to the twitter madness simply to get free shit.

      Delete
    3. ummmmm....it totally worked. For real. Real yogurt is coming to my doorstep.

      Delete
  13. Holy cow, your niece is so big!! I don't know why it always shocks me when kids, like, GROW UP. She's adorable.

    Poor dumb guy. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A bunch of my friends live in that same neighborhood (more or less) and one of them told me about how during all the Occupy shit, people would do these takeovers of restaurants around there and go in and rob the place -- only instead of robbing the actual restaurant, they would just rob everyone eating in the restaurant. Like fuck you 1% or something. And, the Roundtable right there got taken over like a bunch of times, which I always just found really funny, because it's like I don't know that anyone eating at the Roundtable is in the 1%, right.

    On another note: I once caught someone trying to steal out of my pocket. They just shrugged, what are you gonna do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know this post has a scary story/cute kids/shoe solutions but all I can see is...an avocado shake? Is that for real? I have never heard of that before. Please explain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a smoothie made with fresh avacado, kale, apple juice blended together, oh so heavenly!

      Delete
    2. It's a Vietnamese drink! Very rich. It tastes like frozen avocado with a little milk and sugar. I freaked the first time I had it, it was too weird.

      I like the sound of this smoothie concoction too!

      Delete
    3. Crazy! I might have to give that a try...or maybe I'll just stick to eating my avocados mashed with cilantro and lime juice. With a margarita.

      Delete
  16. Good god I just love your writing.

    I am still waiting for my favorite little person to like me back. It isn't happen, but someday it will. I just know it. A little jealous of you right now.

    Mmm pho. AND PAGE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A! Let's get lunch next time I'm in the city for work

      Delete
  17. your niece is lovely...she does look JUST like YOU!
    that story about the car....I am pretty sure I would have ran towards to person also and reading this I am thinking not the best choice....

    ReplyDelete
  18. HOLY SHIT!!! I can't believe someone was trying to break into your car. WTF?!?!?! I'm glad that confrontation didn't turn out to be more dangerous and that you, your man and your car are ok.

    Maybe we need a pho-therapy session after that traumatic event?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had the same foot issue when I insisted on wearing un-broken-in shoes during the Hartford Marathon. Yes, I'm an idiot. Luckily, I've worn the shoes many time since then and it seems like everything has been resolved on that front.

    UHMMM I can't believe you caught someone trying to get into your car. I probably would have had a mental meltdown right there and then, but...at least he wasn't really trying to break into your car, right? Yeesh. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That car story is amazing!! I can't believe you guys went after a potential car thief like that!!! And I REALLY want to check out that theater with you guys sometime.

    Agh! Those hugs are so sweet!! My niece is the same way and will only hug me occasionally. Always makes my heart break when she says no.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Travelling in a oakland airport cabs saves your energy of walking or having to squeeze yourself on crowded public transport. With a taxi you'll sit in comfort by yourself, watch town blow over and wait to be taken to your destination in vogue.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!