Sunday, February 17, 2013

Vals Day

I just looked at my running calendar from 2012 to see how I tapered for CIM, since I'm exactly 2 weeks out from a marathon and thought I should try and do something smart.  How do I usually taper? I can't remember at all.


I wanna do whatever THAT girl is doing.  She looks amazing! Go # 35! Your hair blends seamlessly into your skin!


Looks like last time, I ran 75 miles the week before "marathon week".  Seems like a dumb idea.

I guess this time I'll aim for less.  60 miles? 50?

On an unrelated note, it turns out that I suck at hole-punching, because I hole-punched two case binders worth of documents, and now have....tendinitis in my shoulder?  It was like 13 minutes worth of hole punching, that's it.  Then my shoulder hurt.  Then I swam the next day and my shoulder felt fine.  Then I ran on Saturday and my shoulder did not feel fine.  I had to switch my Garmin to my right hand, and hold my left arm close to my body to avoid shoulder pain.  I imagine I looked like an adorably shy runner.

Legal secretaries must have shoulders of steel.

I am still figuring out this newer foot issue (and of course the ole buttcrease problem), but nothing is out of control, nothing too painful.  I'll do a full body check-in closer to the marathon for anyone who is keeping tabs. I'm expecting the shoulder thing to be on its way after I give it a good lecture, and avoid any binder making workshops.

My week in running:

I didn't feel great enough this week to accomplish a stellar tempo or something else to be proud of....but looking back at the week, I'm happy I found a way to incorporate a challenging element (hill sprints, stairs) into most of the runs, despite my body not feeling like it wanted to.


  • Monday: 0
  • Tuesday: 12.4 (with 10 hill sprints, the hill was about a 75 second "sprint," or 0.2 mile).
  • Wednesday: 14.5 (with 8 miles--not consecutive-- at 6:35-6:55 pace).
  • Thursday:  14.5 a.m. (Progression run, about 10 seconds faster each mile: first mile at 9:00, fourteenth mile at 6:41).  3 p.m.
  • Friday: 0 (one hour swim)
  • Saturday: 18.2 (first 4 miles with fartleks and two hill sprints)
  • Sunday: 13 (with 10 sets of stairs at Lake Merritt's Cleveland Cascade.  Described by one Yelper as the "outdoor stairmaster".  Picture below)
  • Total: 75.6




Thursday morning's progression run was spontaneous (i.e. not planned, much like every run I've ever met) and is a run I have never done outside before.  I'd say 92% of my treadmill runs are progression runs, and I love them.  I find it the best way to get the most out of 1 hour.  But it is VERY hard for me to mentally focus enough outside on pacing to nudge it up each mile.  My mind wanders without the belt beneath my feet forcing me to keep a certain pace.

This outside progression run was much easier than a treadmill progression run, because on a treadmill I usually start around 8.0 mph (7:30 pace) and end up around 9.3 mph (6:27 pace) ....whereas here, I started slower (9:00), so all of the first 10 miles were comfortable.  In fact, everything about progression runs is pretty comfortable, since the speed sneaks up so slowly you are suddenly blasting away at full throttle, not sure how you got there.


***VAL KILMER DAY, I MEAN VAL ENTINES DAY***

Hey girl.  Let's age really badly together. 

I go by "Rose" in these parts, so you'd think Valentine's day would be my holiday.  Wait no.  Actually, you'd think "she can't even get married right, of course she hates Valentine's day".  Both of youse is wrong.  I got "youse" from my ironically favorite band, "Personal and the Pizzas."  They rock.  I don't wanna be no personal pizza, I just wanna live my life.  

I think Valentine's day is a sweet holiday.  I love seeing flowers come into the office (for other people), I love that people are happy and thinking about **LOVE** all day--and don't give me mouth about it being a sad holiday for people who are single, there is always love.  For your mom, or dad, or grandma, or grandpa, or siblings, or niece, or nephew, or children, or best friend, or neighbor.  It is very sad if none of those exist in someone's life, but when I say it is a sweet holiday, I mean for the reminder to think of those you love, and not just your boyfriend/girlfriend/wife.

Here's what I don't like about Valentine's day:

1) stereotypes of men running around like a chicken with their head cut off to buy roses and/or diamonds at the last minute in order to appease the stereotype of a high maintenance woman who demands acknowledgment via expensive material things that she is beeeaautiful.

2) when people give me a sad look of concern when I say that I won't be getting flowers/chocolate/diamonds from my husband, and that I like it that way.  Nobody believes that you don't want flowers.  Everybody believes that I am telling myself a sad lie in order to cope with the devastation of being in a relationship with someone who doesn't run around like a chicken with his head cut off to buy last minute $80 roses on his way home from work.

The only person who I consent to giving me flowers is my mom. Remember these?

I forgot to reveal that these were from my mom after we told our families we were married.  Everyone else sent me hate texts.   

I know a ton of us don't "celebrate" Valentine's day with gifts.  Maybe even the majority? There are many other beautiful ways to celebrate without the heavy-handed reminders to do it with roses and jewelry.  We had a delicious crock pot meal of chicken and dumplings for dinner (a coincidence; we had been planning on making it one day and Thursday morning was the morning we had time to get the crock pot cooking), but since it was V day, we also opened a bottle of wine, put on the slow jams (not), and had one of the 365 days filled with love that we have each year.

Even though diamonds are my greatest enemy, not my best friend, you bet I still wore hearts.



It's a vest that comes out once a year.

I wish each and every one of you a mega amount of love in your life, yes, even TODAY (plain old February 17), and tomorrow, and all of February, and all of March, you get the idea.

(And let me know if you are interested in a comforting and easy chicken and dumplings crock pot recipe.  Salty, doughy goodness).

31 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear nothing is out of control as far as injury wise. Though I hope that one day your butt crease issues just go away. I don't plan or follow a training plan either. I run until I'm satisfied and then the run is over.

    I like Valentine's day a lot but I hate how so many (mostly females) want 1000 romantic items. I love flowers personally but past that I'm good. I said it when you posted those flowers but they are stunning.

    Also I like out of crock pots and crock pot chicken and dumplings sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read and lurk and have shoulders of steel (legal secretary here)... First off, haters gonna hate in the marriage dept. That is usually their issues at work there. My booger recently proposed to me and the bizarre mix of comments from people (we are both in our mid to late 40s and previously married) I had to point out to some of my acquaintances that "you say 'congratulations'" No commentary, no smart ass remarks, just congratulations.
    Secondly, where did you mom get those roses???? NO really - I want them!
    Thirdly, YES PLEASE ON THE CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS! Boogs and I have an empty crockpot waiting to be filled with doughy lovliness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the merrier that you and your booger found each other after patiently waiting through previous marriages! I can't imagine people weren't happy for you.

      Where DID my mom get the roses? I don't know? FTD.com?ft

      Delete
  3. We went out for dinner the night before V-Day and there were no flowers, diamonds, chocolates involved. He did surprise me with a new hairdryer on Friday after my 8 year old one fell apart in my hands. Way better than flowers in my opinion.

    Salty, doughy goodness?? Share it!

    Hope that arm is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the vest!
    I make chicken and dumplings in the crockpot....it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a paralegal and we are trained extensively on correct hole punching. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This thing is A WEEK NOW, no improvement. I wish I took that training ;)

      Delete
  6. I got two cards for V-Tine's Day. One romantic one and of course, one cheesy, corny sex joke one. Right on schedule and as expected, honey.

    Also got homemade cards from my boys, which was sweet.

    I am loving those rad roses from your mom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part of v-day is definitely the creations made by kids. Lucky you!

      Delete
  7. Those roses are sooo cool. Are they dyed or have they just been hybridized that way?

    Also, dude, I am so not at all interested in Valentine's Day. In fact, all of those romantic gestures (flowers, chocolates, jewelry, whatever) hold zero interest for me. My ex-husband was a big believer in them but they couldn't make up for the fact that he was a gigantic d-bag. My current husband doesn't do flowers, etc., but that's fine with me because he is pretty much the best husband ever every day out of the year. But then, like you we didn't "get married right" so I'm clearly not the target audience for most of that garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are dyed -- if you look at the bottom of the stem, it looks like dye was placed in dots of different colors. It's pretttttty cool.

      The good guys are good all year....no need to make romantic gestures on one specific day.

      Delete
  8. I used to work in a law school admission office. I didn't get tendonitis from hole punching but I did slice my hands up stuffing envelopes and shuffling applications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. weweweeeeeewwwww! It's rough stuff. I slice my hands all the time, on things like binders and bucket files. That's like a paper cut times 20.

      Delete
  9. Now that I eat meat I am collecting all the good meaty crock pot recipes I can find so YES PLEASE (for reals)! Napa marathon is on my bucket list, I really want to go stay with my friend in Oakland so we can run it together. Eric posted on Facebook that I forbid him to get me flowers but instead he "got" me a treadmill (he texted me earlier in the week because there was an awesome groupon deal for one and we decided to go for it) so I'll say this is the second best V-day in our history. The best was when I got a steak from outback, threw away the box and stuff, and pretended I made it. Then I called the radio the next morning and told the DJ about how he heaped me with praise and they called him and revealed the truth on air. That was freaking sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, stay with your friend in Oakland and run the OAKLAND MARATHON. or the half. I like the oakland half.

      This radio story is hilarious. I hope you kept a tape of it.

      Delete
  10. YES to the salty doughy recipe. YES YES YES.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Recipe now. You should have just posted it, you know.

    Such a drag about Val Kilmer. Hard to believe he was a convincing Jim Morrison.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like other comments, OF COURSE we want the recipe for something salty and doughy (and easy). Please share!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a huge fan of Valentine's Day, but I do require chocolate. Flowers are totally optional.
    If you taper properly, I bet some of those nagging pains will go away. I always have shin soreness, hip ache, or something by the end of the training cycle...usually disappears during the taper. But only after new phantom pains pop up, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We usually just do cards...but I'd be lying if I didn't have flower envy usually. I quash those feelings because of all you've written above, which I totally agree with.
    On Sunday, I got back to SF after three weeks husbandless in the UK. I'd demanded roses at the airport, knowing full well there would be none, it's like a family joke. However this time, I found a single rose on my car seat!!! Aw....so sweet, I nearly cried. And then he won all the points by adding 'I would have bought you a bouquet except they've bumped the prices up for Valentine's day'. Sweet AND financially savvy, that's the man I love!
    Hope the foot is healing. My shin is hurting. It's no fun. I hate new shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. welcome back!! the single rose is precious. Some guy once got me a single rose, a plastic one, from 7-11 before coming over. I can't remember if I liked it or just felt extremely awkward about the plastic rose.....

      Delete
    2. Plastic? Well there's something special!! Giggling.

      Delete
  15. Yes to the dumpling recipe!

    My birthday is right before Valentine's Day, & my son's is two days after, so Valentine's is pretty much a non-event in my house. Mostly it's spent with my kids hopped up on candy & getting sent to their rooms during our super "romantic" family dinner of tacos. That was this year. ;-) We also exchange cards. I'm totally good with low key. I'd rather have Michael take the kids to a movie & give me a few hours alone. Such romance!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes to the crock pot recipe. I need more crock pot in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi bunny bloggy friend. I am just saying hi and leaving comment gibberish for you.



    hi.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Would love a recipe!!! Glad to hear we aren't the only couple that doesn't go crazy on Valentine's day. I personally think it's silly that it always falls on the guys shoulders to do something. I'm more for doing something that is mutual.

    p.s. which wine did you end up drinking??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The non-Winter one. Still saving that up, even though you've now let it slip that I can get my hands on some more...

      Delete
  19. Nice on Napa Valley! Valentine's Day was awesome when we were younger in elementary school, since it was a ton of fun exchanging valentine's day cards with other kids in the class and getting candy because of it. Then as we get older it just seems like a holiday invented by Hallmark to sell cards and candy. And it seems to work lol.

    And this is an old comment- but how do you live in the bay area and not know how to use chopsticks?!? Cmon Roserunner! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because chopsticks....are...IMPOSSIBLE!!! I don't hold a pencil correctly either, apparently. I manage though, I WILL get some food in my mouth with chopsticks.

      Delete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!