Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Lucky

Here's the story of when I had the good fortune of getting to run a (fast! fun!) half marathon 6 days after the Napa marathon.

I was one of the Three Amigos that day, we stuck together stride by stride for almost the entire race.

The three amigos, and, a deodorant sample.  Good job Margot.


Spoiler alert! Those are age group awards they are flashing!

But first, go read about the day from their perspective--the one who revived her love for running by finishing stronger and faster than she intended; and the one who hadn't run any speedy miles, nor a full 13 miles yet, since returning from injury, but somehow her speed woke up hungry from its hibernation.

I had been in talks with Margot to run the Davis Lucky Half Marathon a couple weeks prior to the Napa marathon.  I was so excited by the invite and the opportunity to meet the Bunny and I really wanted to say yes, but my first instinct was that I would probably still be hobbling around with post-marathon legs on that Saturday (yes, Saturday, which gave me one less day to recover than a normal Sunday race would).

By Tuesday post-marathon, I knew for sure I would be fine to run.  The one perk about having a crappy race day at Napa was that I didn't deplete myself (or at least didn't deplete my legs) and I could tell the recovery was quick enough to hang with Margot at an agreed upon 7:30-ish pace.

I knew Page would be there too, and thought I would hang with her at her planned 8:30-ish pace if my recovery was slower.

Classic RoseRunner move, I cut it very short by arriving at the race about 15 minutes before it started, without having purchased a bib yet.  I thought I was probably too late to even sign up, but it turned out that signing up took a total of 17 seconds.  Crazy easy.  I used a pseudonym because I haven't yet decided my stance on whether I want non-race efforts under my name, and in a spontaneous  moment went for the alternate name.

*I should note that even though I had this grand plan of being the world's best pacer for Margot, I was actually the worlds worst pacer, because I forgot my Garmin.  I have no internal clock (?) when it comes to pace, so basically, I was worthless.  I just tagged on to her side.

Finding the Bunny ears was thankfully easy amidst the growing crowd! We hugged, I dashed all her expectations by not being a glamorous tall person with a beautiful voice (whatever voice you are picturing for me, you know it's way wrong...).  Since I was running late and the port-o-potty line was long, we got to bond over my criminal actions of peeing in a hidey spot of the high school near the start.  Good first impression!

I tried to get a sense of Margot's goals for the day, and quickly picked up on the fact that she was in full-on dread mode.  Wasn't very excited to be there, wasn't confident about how fast we should run.  I mildly tried to pump her up, but knew that whatever we ran we would be doing it in good company and it would be FUN.  The best part of running.

We noted that we should try and find Page, who was going to run an easy pace of 8:30s.  I tenderly whispered into Margot's ear that no, oh no no no, Page will not be running an 8:30 pace.  And then there she was!  And then the race started!

I had no idea what pace we were running, but it felt perfect.  A tad hard for my legs, but I looked side to side and both Margot and Page looked really comfortable in their stride.  Page said "I'm just gonna hang with you guys for a mile or two" (paraphrasing of course), get some of her itch for speed out, so the Three Amigos journeyed through Davis together on a flat course that headed out into this winding little park path, through neighborhoods, and then next to the freeway for a stretch of miles.

I really wanted to see Margot and Page run strong, so even though I had no clue what our pace was as each mile ticked by, I tried to gauge their comfort level to see if we were doing anything stupid.  Margot was clearly focused and working hard, but she looked really strong so I judged our pace was okay.  Page seemed full of energy, but I knew she was pushing it because she told us at least twice that she was going to drop her pace back, bye guys....and then I'd whip my head around with shock: "what! you're still here!"  It was so fantastic.  She couldn't bring herself to slow down.  The Three Amigos were magnetized together.

Page and I got split from Margot for a couple miles while we jetted into some port-o-potties.  We spent most of those miles remarking on how awesome Margot was doing, and how we were never going to catch those bunny ears.  I heard Page tick off one of our miles at sub-7:00 pace, which I knew must have felt great for Page after being off her ankle for so long, but I also wondered if her coach was going to kill me for letting that happen! The plan was 8:30's!

We all focused hard for the last 3 miles, steady and strong, maybe even getting faster with each mile, passing half-marathoners and people in the shorter race distances. I was mad impressed with Page and Margot because I know I fall apart during miles 9-through-12-ish of a hard effort half marathon.

Last mile I do believe.  Page won me over to the Oakley side by wearing sunglasses that were way cuter and better performing than my cheapie $15 expo pair.

I had so much adrenaline and excitement in the last mile.  I was trying to pump us all up by saying stupid shit like "one more mile, it's time to give it all you have left!" and I'm pretty sure they were thinking...shut....up...roserunner...but man it was fun to kick it in to the end with each of them.

For splits and finishing time, check out the ladies race recaps I linked to at the top of this post, since they had the watches like a smart runner should.  1:36:xx finish time, low 7:20 pace.  It was the perfect amount of hard and fun, just what I needed that day.

First, that was fun and those girls rock the world, right?

Second, my internet world just ended today when Google announced that it will be getting rid of Google Reader in a few months.  PROTEST! That is my blog reading management central.   The only way I read blogs.  I know no other way.  I want no other way! I'm also really bummed because I know a lot of my readers read through Google Reader (just checked, 740 subscribers!) and I'm worried they will all fall away into the ether and forget to add me into whatever new subscription system they go with.

So please, Google Readers of mine, don't leave me when you make the switch.  And also, please tell me where to go! What other websites or programs do a great and easy job of managing blog subscriptions in one place?

38 comments:

  1. I had the same Google Reader terror moment just an hour ago! The hell?! Are they REALLY going to do away with a beloved product to focus on "doing a few things well?" They'll probably still be pushing that failed social network thing on us come July... Sorry, rant over.

    My half-assed search told me that something called "Feedly" will sync your Google Reader subscriptions and is thus the best Reader "clone" out there. I downloaded it and am already confused, but I also didn't try that hard. I figure I have four months to figure it out.

    Awesome race! Seems you kiddos had a lot of fun out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing feedly! Will have to check it out. Google is dead to me

      Delete
  2. Great recap! I already read the race from Page's perspective, nice to read it from yours!

    Awful news about Google reader. Is the blogspot page that automatically loads up new posts of the blogs you follow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your Google Reader pain. This articles gives a good run down on what we should do next: http://t.co/t1vtjrNMvF

    Awesome run, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloglovin.com is good for managing blogs as well. I know you can put them in categories and search for blogs that you would be interested in. The blog universe will implode and no blogger will exist when google reader retires.

    Anyways-this is such a lovely post and I'm glad you had such a good time and could register so quickly. I've done similar things and normally get to races cutting it really close several times (though I must admit it's taken me longer to get the bib that I already signed up for.).

    Isn't it funny how strange it is to not have a Garmin now? A few years back if someone had said "you will be able to see every detail, pace, ect in your races" I would have thought they started races on treadmills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last paragraph got me. I love that image! Running watches are crazy. I remember just a few years ago, my running was just: check clock when I leave house, check clock when I return.

      Delete
  5. I get yours and a few other ones by email. Other than that I have a bunch saved under a "Running" tabs on my macbook. Every few days when I have an extra 20 minutes I click on some here and there. I am afraid if I had something similar to Google Reader I would b spending 60+ minutes a day reading blogs.

    Congrats on a great race! It feels great to know you were cruising along without a Garmin like that. I also have zero internal clock. I don't get how people have perfect pacing capabilities. My adrenaline gets in the way. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a bad pacer, too. I was trying to do 400's at the track with a guy in our run group and it looked like this: Him:"1:28. Ok, too fast, need to slow it down by 2 sec". Me:"no prob!". We run. Him: "1:28." Me: "Oops, slowing it down.". Him: "1:28..." This continued for 7 laps until I let him pace. I'm consistent, just consistently wrong.
    Fun half. I like the idea of a race for fun after a marathon. I don't really have an answer for you on the pseudonym, though. I ran a very bad 10k last year (in the middle of a long run, emergency bathroom break) and almost didn't cross the matt at the end. I did, but now I have a 43 min 10k on my name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it would have occurred to me to do things like take your chip off or not cross the finishing mat if I didn't hear about friends doing that. I think it mentally let's you come to terms with giving up on a race or something. It doesn't count without e chip! Or does it!

      Delete
  7. RE: Google Reader - I'm a fan of Feedly so far - it sucks in all of your google reader accounts automatically if you make the switch before 7/1, so it's pretty seamless. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another endorsement for feedly, will try it!

      Delete
  8. Fast races are awesome, fast races with friends are even more awesome! You ladies kicked ass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm teetering on the edge of ridiculous blogger mushiness, but I'll err on the side of one of the greatest cinematic efforts of all time: Stepbrothers.

    "Did we just become best friends?"
    "YUP!"

    Thanks for pushing us out there -- we couldn't have done it without you!

    Also, where's the petition to keep GR? I'll sign it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel your pain!! I did not know what to do! Since we have some to figure it out, I am trying feedly right now. It was super easy to set up and connected with my google reader so I didn't need to reimport all my blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fun race for all of you - and a great thing to do after that marathon!

    I spent like 5 minutes mourning the loss of Google Reader when I found out. Then I realized that I've been using Feedly on my iPhone and it's pretty decent. I'll just have to download it on my computer and sync the accounts. It's pretty seamless.

    p.s. What did you think about the Bachelor finale??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let me go without a bachelor recap! I'll get there

      Delete
  12. I will NOT leave you behind when Google Reader bites the dust! Still, I'm gutted that they are doing this. Whyyyyy?! What did I ever do to them?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sad about google reader, but I've actually found Bloglovin to be a pretty good substitute. It's a little buggy but the nice thing is you don't have to click to another page to leave a comment you can do it right from the reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds major! I love love the sound of being able to comment from that page. I had clicking to new pages....

      Delete
  14. I am very glad we are all best friends now! No...really!

    :)

    I must be way behind times because I just type in the URL of blogs I'm interested in. I don't really get why it benefits Google to get rid of a much loved product though?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm interested to know your reasons for not running under your actual name. I understand that non-race efforts are going to be slower, but is it just to present a strictly competitor profile in the event that someone happens to look you up on athlinks or something? And what happens if you get hurt during a race and are taken to a hospital under a false name? I've never thought about people running under false names and would appreciate an explanation of the motivation to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no full reasoning for making the decision on the spot, but it was a combination of knowing I was going to run Margot's race, not mine, and also knowing I might drop out if it felt like too much too soon. I used my first name and middle name, so actually didn't really make anything up? And since I never run with a road ID, I guess I'm at risk daily of heading to the hospital without them knowing my name...

      Delete
    2. Gotcha. I highly recommend the Road ID that you attach to your shoe, should you (or anyone) ever be in the market. And congrats on another good race!

      Delete
  16. JFC, I don't even know how to read the internet without Google Reader. I will probably switch to Feedly or use the Reeder program (which I use on my phone now).

    ReplyDelete
  17. People will find you. Don't worry about the Google shit. Nice job pacing and having fun.

    And I had no idea it was that cold up in Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to start testing out these alternatives to Google Reader: http://lifehacker.com/5990456/google-reader-is-getting-shut-down-here-are-the-best-alternatives

    But, not excited about the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So, I found your blog by searching for 'leg lock feeling treadmill' or something to that effect, and have continued to lurk you on the reg from Google Reader because a) you're an awesome runner with a good sense of humor and b) somebody somewhere please has to figure out this leg lock mystery, right? right?!? Anyway, the real point of this story is to de-lurk and say I don't even know how to read blogs without Google Reader. It feels like someone is threatening to lop off my arm. Hmph.

    Google-induced hysterics aside, sounds like a fun race for all involved, most excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish my half marathons were this fun! I'll get another shot in October.

    I am also devastated by the Google Reader news! I did some research today in a panic and found Feedly, which appears similar. They took pity on us Reader people and drafted a handy transition guide for us folks. So, you will not be losing me as I already updated your feed in Feedly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your blog and will continue to read you in whatever format I eventually decide on! I enjoyed reading this race recap. Looked fun... and left me very curious as to what you voice actually sounds like :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Saturday was a day of magic. Congrats to you ballers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was a good weekend of racing for all! I had fun just reading your recap - you girls rocked this race!

    As much as I love Google reader and the ability to catch up on blogs wherever it has turned me into a horrible commenter and find I only comment when I read on my computer. I hope whatever I switch too helps me break the habit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I find it so hard to race with people at a hard effort - I guess I'm not consistent enough, because I always feel like it's too hard or too slow. Also - I ran a 2-mile race at your casual half-marathon pace and I wanted to die. Still impressed people can run so fast for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Flipping fantastic run, this looks so much fun - all three race recaps are just bubbling over with chirpiness! Hope it picked you up a bit after Napa's disappointment!! Are you running Oakland next weekend??

    ReplyDelete
  26. i am going to add you on bloglovin! i am sad about google reader though :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. I too am baffled by the Reader situation. Why would they get rid of it, when it's the only system that most people know about? I have no idea what to do now and am bummed out about it. Poop.

    Sounds like a fun race! I love your recaps.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!