Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Cuties

Hark!


It is I. Look at what I've become.  Someone who posts once every ten days! Someone who still hasn't written a recap of a race that happened more than a week ago!

Trying to fix that.  I know you didn't notice, since y'all were busy with passover and easter.

The truth is, I've been real busy working on my stash of easter candy, and I simply cannot type while I'm busy licking my candy fingers.

And the truth is, Mad Men season five just appeared on Netflix, and I have some major Ken Cosgrove to catch up on (go Ken Cosgrove!).

The true truth is, when I get home after 8:00 p.m. I need to savor that time with my cutie.  And since I don't have any babies to qualify as a cutie, this guy is the cutie that I'm talkin about.



Hairdo inspired by the famous trendsetting HRG baby.  It's all the rage!

The true-true truth is, I got one of my molars pulled out last week because it was cracked and had been causing pain and swelling for a couple months.  Now I have a big gap back there, and a bottle full of Vicodin.  Yay! The painkillers have been fun but also made me feel sick.  So much drama from one little tooth.

And while I'm showing pictures of the adorable loves in my life, peep on one of the awesome legal secretaries I work with.  Hahaha.  I cannot not laugh at this picture.  Hahaha.  While my tooth pain did not lead to strapping a microwavable teddy bear to my face, this was her solution for dealing with some pain she was having.


Brilliant and adorable

Okay lets keep going. Another picture of a cutie!  I got this munchkin the best christmas gift--a mustache pacifier.  My lil niece Gemma looks good in everything.  I have dreams about her all the time lately, where we are galloping through grass fields hand-in-hand, and she whispers in my ear, "I'm going to ask my mom if we can hang out this weekend."  We have officially become best friends lately.  We dance forever, we play "walk this way" (she drags me around while we hold hands), we play "sleep" (peek-a-boo where she lies down and I cover her with a blanket), and she shouts "cake-cake!" with excitement to see me.  That's her version of "KK," my childhood nickname that I forced her to adopt.



Okay now last one.  East bay liberals meet East bay star trek nerds.  Photo napped while stuck in traffic on Easter. I wikipedia'd the real "free Leonard," Leonard Peltier, and from my brief review it definitely was a  "DON'T free leonard" situation.  He sounds pretty unforgivably guilty to me


Running Cliffnotes:

Sunday: Oakland half-marathon, recap coming up y'all:
Monday: Tooth pulled
Tuesday: Toof hurts
Wednesday: Toof hoits
Thursday: 10 miles a.m., 6.5 miles p.m.
Friday: 11
Saturday: 22.2
Sunday: 13.4

Total: 63-ish

Waddya know, my first over-50 mile week in about a month.

I blissed out on Saturday, indulged in my neverending desire to run and run and run until my body fixes itself (flawed logic of course).  Sometimes I actually believe I can outrun the buttcrease/leg-lock.  Like, "OH! I know what I haven't tried! Running HARDER."

After running a half-marathon badly (now you excited for the recap!?) and then taking three days off due to my tooth extraction, I dove back into running on thursday only to be greeted with a heavy body and stiff legs.  My leg-lock was piping up even when running pretty slow, which hasn't happened before.  I wondered if it was the painkillers making my legs heavy? And the half-marathon recovery making my leg-lock appear?  Either way, it was a bummer running week.

By Saturday, I had to cancel plans to run a fast 20-miler with a friend who was giving it one last oomph before Boston, because prior days had warned that I would not be able to run fast.  And I didn't want to ruin her scheduled paces.

But it was embedded in my mind that I was going to run 20 on Saturday, so I went out and did it my way.  And my body felt much better.  Took my sweet time wandering around Oakland with some podcasts ringing in my ears and some gummy bears in my pockets.  No plans later in the day except to get some work done, and the Gentleman was at work, so I took advantage of the fact that I had nowhere to be but running.  Not training for anything....doesn't matter how far or how fast....feels so nice.  Just like ye olden days before ye ole blog when I used to run and run and run and never race.  A long run just soaks into your cells and makes you feel high....or is that the Vicodin still talking? Does anyone want to take this stuff off my hands?

Sincerely,
Vicodin.

28 comments:

  1. "OH! I know what I haven't tried! Running HARDER."
    lol! I do the same thing! It is good to hear from you again. You are one of my favorite bloggers :) Oh, and your niece and hubby are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to remember cliff notes giving me the exact answers I needed to pass my exams in high school...ie how did you in the Oakland half.

    Teeth problems are one my least favorite issues. That and eye problems. I had an allergic reaction to oxycodone once that left me passed out in a locker room so I am terrified of pain meds now...I'll let you keep those. I hope the butt lock problem decreases. Once I get something in my mind (like doing a long run) I'm destined to do it...I would have probably done the exact same thing. I love running easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I approve of calling my injury "butt lock". That's fantastic. Second, passed out in a locker room!? I guess that means a gym locker, but at first I was picturing you in high school at the lockers. Neither one is good...

      Delete
  3. I took one dose of a Vicodin-like cough syrup once when I had bronchitis. I slept for TWENTY-FOUR HOURS. I do not know how people become addicted to the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa rip van winkle! That day is lost and gone forever. I think my record is 13 hours-ish, drug free....

      Delete
  4. Your little niece is one of the cutest things I've ever seen. Those bright blue eyes with the dark hair is a phenomenal combination! My boy [that sounds deceptively like my son, which I do not have, so my gentleman if you will] has to get all 4 of his wisdom teeth removed, which I imagine is going to be a painful experience. I hope they give him lots of vicodin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst part about wisdom teeth extraction is the chipmunk cheeks! and not eating normally. And sleeping upright. I guess it all sucks?

      Delete
  5. I love the description of your niece, I have those same feelings about my nephew. Obsessed. I NEED that pacifier for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pacifier is stupid expensive, but it's worth it

      Delete
  6. I die at that picture of your husband in HRB hairstyle. They are both adorable, of course ;-).

    I hope you are feeling better! I was wondering what happened to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that picture too....he has no idea that I was dressing him up as a baby Brooke. He was just happy to get his tax-season long hair out of his face :)

      Delete
  7. I hear ya on the getting home late and just wanting to spend time with your loved ones. I didn't get home till 8:30 last night, ate a quick dinner, spent some couch time with the hubby, made my lunch for today and went to bed in an hour and a half. I wanted to write a post last night but it didn't happen so I wrote it this morning. It's a tough balancing act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like my evening every day (minus the morning blog writing)! It never feels very balanced to me!

      Delete
  8. Okay the pigtail picture made my day. I showed it to Brooke and she loved it. BOOO to teeth problems, how can those little things cause so much pain?!? Your explanation of what the long run does for you is exactly how I would describe it and I am not on vicodin so I think it was you talking, not the meds.
    Your niece is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke's hair is just like her face. ADORABLE. I'm sad her hair is growing because the pigtails will probably start to be phased out. And the trend just started!

      Delete
  9. You can get good money for those meds! Feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this post this morning and then just went to the grocery store where I found some fruits called "cuties". It made me think of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are delicious, and I usually can't stand citrus fruits!

      Delete
  11. Tell me that you got overexcited at the start of Oakland, shot off at your second fastest mile ever, mile 4 was actually your fastest ever mile ever, then you started feeling tired at mile 6 and deathly at mile 9 and then miles 10 - 13 were interminable and you nearly died seeing the last 0.1 was uphill.

    Tell me you did that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all over for me well before mile 4. That kinda day! Yours sounds like a trial, way to get through miles 10-13 without quitting!

      Delete
  12. So many cuties! I love the picture of yo man. Tell him he should wear his hair like that more often. I'm so sorry about your tooth though!! I feel like a jerk that I didn't know about it when I talked to you on Friday. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help! Although I suppose that Vicodin cures all worries eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did you crack your tooth?!?! I've chipped a tooth (or three--maybe four), but a CRACK?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crack was underneath a crown (that had been placed over a root canal 9 years ago). The tooth was dead (from said root canal) and apparently a dead tooth is weak and can crack. What I want to know is why the hell I had a root canal when I was 20? I don't have a clue...

      Delete
  14. You forgot the picture of me. It's okay. I sent you forty dozen.

    Also, why did you not get the mean tooth replaced with a solid gold one? Seriously.



    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll do chocolate instead of gold.

      Delete
  15. Truth? I didn't trust my reader because I hadn't seen a RR post in so long so I stopped by IN PERSON(ish) to see for myself and you just happened to have posted YESTERDAY. Turns out, my feebly reader was so full of BS that I missed it.

    But I think it's really important you know I am in the middle of root canal HELL right now and am right there with you, surfing the vicodin tide. Weeee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weeeee indeed! Hope the procedure was a success.

      Delete
  16. Yikes a cracked tooth just sounds terrible. I love the HRG baby hair do on the Gentleman. Is he opening his eyes wide to look even more like Brooke??? Well played.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!