Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Date With David

Just me, or is the only thing going on up here lately spam.  Spaaaaammmm!  Khhhhhaaannn!

This is running blogging gone haywire.  Get ready. Here's whats going to happen: I'm going to talk very briefly about running, and then very long-windedly about my personal silly non-running life. 

Recap of last week in running: I felt pretty sick, not many runs went well, but I had fun running while stalking "for sale"/"open home" signs in Oakland/Berkeley.  The not so fun part was reading the listing prices on the brochures.  A 2 bed/1 bath at 1200 sq feet in desirable Oakland neighborhoods sells for the price of two Texas mansions.  Good thing law school made me extremely rich.  Sarcastic? yes.  We'll be rich when we are retiring, just in time for me to start dying.  Maybe I need to pull a Gatsby and start selling moonshine...is that still a hot market?

(See how I just name dropped two cool movies? That's Star Trek up there and the Great Gatsby.  I smell another movie review post in the future....)

Recap of this week in running: Decent lactate threshold tempo "wave" run on the treadmill, six miles alternating between half mile at 9.1 mph (6:35) and 9.8 mph (6:07).  Decent aerobic tempo wave run on the treadmill, one hour alternating full miles at 8.8 mph (6:48) and 9.5 mph (6:18).  (These workouts explained in this post.)  Again, not sure if I'm getting faster at running...but I've gotten faster at treadmills.  I still get the ole leg-lock when I do these treadmill runs.  It's very calf-knee focused.  For reasons related to not being able to take time off work (saving up for honeymoon time-off, and have had to miss work for stupid things like meeting caterers), I have not been able to meet with any docs lately.  Yup, still me, the idiot running through pain.  If "leg-lock" can be called pain.

I've mentioned before that we are house-hunting, wedding planning, and honeymoon planning, but what I probably didn't mention is that this means this year of the snake, 2013, will be one where I continue to fizzle out on my blog participation (I'm glad you didn't notice).  Running/blogging are two things I do in my spare time, and right now most of that precious spare time has been directed towards getting our shit together for our various grand events and adventures.  Not sure why it didn't occur to me that it would be very difficult and urgent to try to plan a wedding in less than four months when we finally chose a date a few weeks ago...

My thought process, I imagine, was that our wedding would be so casual and simple that it would not require any planning.  But then, one search for invites led to another search for wedding sashes led to a pinterest labyrinth of death, and I just got sucked into the damn thing.  Still will be the simplest wedding most of our guests have ever been to, but it turns out I WILL be wearing a white (ivory) dress.  Other traditional wedding elements have slowly been dripping into the planned day.

It turns out that no matter how hard I TRY NOT TO BE, I'm still just like every other girl.

For now, I'm going to invite you all into this sloppily planned journey to the wedding date/ house hunting/ vacation planning. If it turns out this is painfully boring to read, I will slip back to slapping up treadmill stats.  That's interesting stuff.  

Here, lets start with the thing that ruined me.

One text, from my mom: "appt next Saturday at 3:00 at David's Bridal."

Me: "ok. not buying anything though."

I was thinking: I know what I want.  I want a NON-WHITE dress.  Ideally, a soft sage color, maybe a pale lilac.  Something ethereal, light, easy to wear, $500 or less.  David's Bridal sounds trashy.  I'm so above DB.  But I'll go as a starting point to learn what kind of dress styles I like, to appease my mom, and to have fun.

Halfway through the appointment, I was still thinking white wedding dresses are sappy and that David was not going to be the man to dress me.

By the end of the appointment, I still did not purchase anything....but I think ultimately my dress will be from DB.  I tried on some beautiful dresses!  All the ones I liked were under $600.  That's freakin rad! After browsing the earth (i.e. scouring the internet at all available moments the week post-DB for other dresses since I was warned I needed to order a dress RIGHT NOW to have it tailored in time for the wedding), I really don't think I can find a comparable new dress in the $300-$600 price range.  Which I have arbitrarily decided is my price range.  I mean, it's cliche but true: you wear the thing ONCE.  Hard to justify a 1x wear at the $1000++ price range.

So in order of least favorite to favorite, here were my choices.  You can probably judge my feeling toward the dresses from my facial expression, which whoops, I did not know I was making at the time.  I only recall focusing on trying to teach my poor mom how to take a photo from my iphone.  (yup, just me and my mom.  I trust her opinion more than anyone else, even though she is a liar liar pants on fire who pretty much likes any clothes I put on.)

Number 10.

Two way tie between the losing dresses.

I felt like a child playing dress-up in the princess ball gown on the left.  It got seven "nos" and then one more "no".

The one on the right was on super sale so I gave it a quick go, but it felt like it was for a 15 year old.  I think that just means it reminded me of 1999.  It got six "I'll give you two dolla for this" and three "can I borrow your math homework, Chelsea?"





Number 9.

Ruching (what word am I looking for?) in the front is my least favorite look.  Lot's of purposeful unflattering wrinkles.  Ruching, and in kind, this dress, is not for me.  Although the back was pretty rad, now that I'm looking back at the photos.

I gave it five "no, I don't want no ruching" and one "heyyy, girl."






























Number 8.

Another beautiful back, another ruching front.  Too bad I can't just walk backwards the whole day and greet people with a beautiful dress back-line.

Have you noticed that wedding dresses are ALL about the back? I guess its a good day to recognize the beauty of the rear view of a woman.  "Good sir, I present to you in the flesh for your infinite sexy time pleasure, this beautifully embellished backside.  You may now marry this backside."

This one got four "no-no-nos" and one "damn angel princess back, you fine!"

And may I mention, trying on dresses that are not the right size and then pretending they look good by "clipping" them, doesn't trick anybody.  It's no wonder my top two dresses were ones I was able to try on in close to my actual size.



Number 7.

Falling into the pattern of party in the back, boring as a blog post about protein powder on the front.  This one got three "pursed lips, closed eyes, nooo child" and three "this would be gorg if the back didn't remind me of clipping a family sized bag of Doritos chips."



Number 6.

My opinion on illusion necklines is...lose the illusion.  Real skin is so much prettier! And less like an ice-skater's uniform! Nevertheless, a beautiful dress. As you can see from my hand in the pictures I was playing with different sashes for it.  I felt it needed some pop.  Am I starting to sound like a D-list version of Tim Gunn? I'm not 100% for lace, but I like the look more than some other fabrics.  Like potato sack fabric, aluminum, shag rug.   

Five "this illusion isn't fooling anyone" and three "come this way to the gov'ners ball ma'am for some sweet tea."


Number 5. 

I did not appreciate the little sunflower embroidery that you can see if you look closely on the upper half of dress number five, but I like the shape.  I call it the "1940's bathing suit shape, with a flowy skirt coming out of it."

Two "finally something fits" and 81 "no sunflowers on my wedding dress plz."


 

Number 4.  

This one I picked out on my own to try on from the DB catalog in store.  I had initially been leaning towards a slinky, silky look.  I was surprised to find that it actually felt very heavy, not slinky and sexy, and made me feel twenty years older than I am.  Not the feel I was going for.  But I liked the general shape a lot.  Britney Spears taught me a lot in my fashion-development years about a low-waist line, and I still like that low-slung look.  A small smile starting to crack...?



Number 3.5

I ran out of numbers.  

Soft and pretty! The sash did not come with the dress.  Just a simple nice shape that I could totally deal with and have a happy time wearing.  But in the end, there were no sparks.  We were just meant to be platonic friends.  It's not you, it's me.

sixteen "I wanted it to be you so bad, but I just didn't feel that connection.  I'm so sorry."--every bachelor ever.


Number 3.

A dress I actually like.  The only problem is, it was so heavy.  I WILL be the bride who falls in the aisle in something like this.  And dancing is like, 73% of weddings, so I've got to consider the dance-ability factor.  

This one gets one "shame, shame, can't dance in this" and one "shazaam, I will untie all those naughty little bows."

I think this one was also over $1000.  At least it looks like it rightly should be. 





Number 2.

People always say things like, "the pictures don't do it justice."  Well, I don't want a dress that is beautiful in person, but looks boring or plain or ugly in pictures.  It's got to look good in pictures! That's all the proof you have that your dress is pretty at the end of the day.

Well....the pictures don't do this dress justice.  It was flattering, I loved the fit and feel.  But the detail that I loved was the light, ethereal fabric that had dotting throughout.  A very easy dress to wear. Unfortunately, you can't see this pretty detail unless you enter my aura zone. Nevertheless, this one is still in the running.  It was one of the least pricey of all!

If you haven't noticed yet -- I have sport bra chafe marks on my chest in most of these pictures.  Lately Sports Glide hasn't been making the cut for any runs that are fast, or that are over 13 miles.  The marks fade by the end of the day, but it isn't pretty for those first few hours. I guess this means no running the morning of my wedding...or buying better sport bras?




Number 1. 

Number one! Number one!  As is obvious from this whole countdown thing I put you through... 

It's more delicate and feminine than I think is suitable for me...but it was light, comfortable, flattering, and I'm a fan of all the shapes.  The shoulder line, the sweetheart line, the back keyhole cute, the simple straight draping.  There were also many various sash options to be played with.  The sash on the left photo comes with the dress; the one on the right would be an extra purchase.

My only wish is that I could get this dress in a slightly off-color.  More of a champagne, or blush, or pastel of any sort. 








Sooooo, now I've surely set myself squarely up for someone to tell me this was the most self-absorbed, annoying post they've ever read.  I basically just put on a modeling show for you, instead of crying about tornadoes and machetes.  To that I say FUCK.  Listen, this week and next week my life is getting this event pinned down.  It's consuming about 40% of my brainspace right now, which is way too much.  I know you've all gone through this process, or likely will in the future, and if you are in the latter category, now you know that David's Bridal is a totally acceptable place to start and end your wedding attire hunt. I feel bad that I started off thinking it was "trashy." More like genius, convenient, thank you for existing.  Additionally, now, you can give me your advice.  I'd love to hear your dress recommendation! Did I rule out a stunner? Alternate dress website/ physical store recommendations?  I do still have a few lustings for expensive dresses at BHLDN.com that I am trying to banish.  Also open to advice for a photographer.  A hair/makeup person.  A tailor.  A ring. with wood in it.  Shoes.  Sexy sexy underthings.  This is a good place to stop.

81 comments:

  1. This post was quite entertaining for me, since we just tried on most of these dresses for my daughter's wedding! She got married in March and her choice was your number 9 pick - primarily because she loved the back. I thought your #2 dress looked much prettier on her, but she's an asymmetric kind of girl. Wedding dress shopping is highly subjective and personal, and ALL that matters is that it makes you feel pretty! And, as much as I'd like to hate David's - they do make it dang convenient for everyone. Just, don't let them do your alterations. They will take you to the cleaners! (A local seamstress charged 1/2 as much)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly noted, will not do alterations there. Hope your daughter's wedding (and the pre-day shopping) was fun for you! The mother-of-the-bride dress is just about as important, no?

      Delete
  2. you look beautiful in dress 1 seriously! ditto on being really careful about the alterations! i bought my dress at a store that has since gone bankrupt (wonder why!) and when they added up my alterations it was $700 (and i didnt have a lace dress or anything particularly complicated to alter). i almost punched them. what an insane rip off. talked them down to half. what a scam (as most things wedding related are :) ). don't let them try to sell you some fancy bustle- no one cares if u have a french or american bustle or some BS like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geez. That definitely deserved a punch.

      Delete
  3. We got engaged, picked a date and had the wedding in five months, because I was like fuck it, it WILL be casual, and if anyone asks me what my goddamn colors are or why I haven't chosen floral arrangements, then they will be uninvited. It's kind of shockingly hard to do, though, just in terms of convincing people every step of the way.

    But, I sort of wished I had super awesome looking, softly-lit pictures of me in a super awesome looking dress. #1 is very cool looking, even in the photos. I spent a lot of time looking at J. Crew too for simple dresses, but it seems like you've got it under control ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the biggest question mark over my head the first time someone asked me what my "colors" were. What? All of them are welcome I guess?

      Flowers will stay out. Or so I say now. I'm thinking a dried flower bouquet, maybe some succulents from Home Depot.

      J. Crew has some pretty ones! I just discovered them yesterday.

      Delete
  4. My #1 choice is #1, my 2nd choice is #3.5. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for the sashes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all over Etsy for sashes. They are so fun! I'm going to figure out a way to wear them to work ;)

      Delete
  5. jennyyoo.com is awesome and was not so expensive when I bought my dress (online!) 2 years ago. They have most of their bridal styles in bridesmaid options as well, meaning you could find your colorful option there!
    Try not to get too sucked up in the weeding circus (chair sashes... what?) and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha a dress for a chair. So silly. Gonna go check out jennyyoo, be back in 30

      Delete
  6. Hell no, this is fun, even for someone who also prides herself on not being like "every other girl." My picks are 1, 3, and 6 (if it didn't have that damn lace!), in that order. I'd say you chose a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has turned out to be fun...I lost my patience for clothes shopping after high school, but cummon, this is my one and only chance to milk it. Might as well ;)

      Delete
  7. Your number one is my number one. Beautiful!

    I bought my gorgeous dress off the rack for $200, no alterations needed!! But I got divorced 20 months later...so you know, you win some, you lose some. Definitely taught me it is about the marriage not the wedding. You are doing it right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, divorce sucks. Thank goodness you got a deal on that dress!

      Delete
  8. I have noticed so many dresses are all about the backs. I have to laugh at most of your descriptions of the dresses. I think you would be awesome to shop with (I make the same comments when I go shopping as well LOL). Number 10 is pretty interesting with the pockets. I haven't seen a wedding like that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I shopped with you, it wouldn't be awesome, because I'd just keep repeating "you look GORG in that." Girls like you look lovely in everything.

      Hehe, no pockets in # 10--I was just lifting up the layers.

      Delete
  9. I too thought I was above DB and when my mom & sisters wanted to "just go peek in" I also thought I'd just see what I liked. But- I found a dress that I loved, and i was a great price, and fit so well I only needed to add boob cups (to echo comments above srsly do NOT have db do any alterations, find someone local).

    Honestly, no one should care where your dress/other wedding shit is from (cheesy, right??) but ugh those poor people who spend $$$ on a dress because it's designer make me sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay DB dress! If I was stupid rich, I'd probably get a $3000 dress. They are admittedly so dang pretty. And then I would probably use some dolla bills as toilet paper.

      Delete
  10. I walked into a wedding dress store, shuddered in horror at the rows of fluffiness, and went home and designed my own dress. I bought the silk, sewed the thing, and only spent $70.

    FWIW I like #2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the coolest. Designed your own dress!? I can envision my dream dress in my head, but can't put that to paper or words. So I have to rely on the professionals...

      Delete
  11. As someone who is also "not that kind of girl" - hello? Second marriage at the county clerk in a short black dress! I am such a harlot! - I have to say I enjoyed this post a whole lot. I liked 1, 3.5 and 5, although I am disappointed to hear there is flower embroidery on it. Flower embroidery always makes me think of Kathryn Bigelow and how she wore a dress with HEARTS on it when she won the Academy Award for Best Director. Like, I was pretty sure I would have been all over her dress as a 14-year-old Mormon girl in Utah.

    Anyway, #1 looks like a great choice. That back is slammin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Kathryn Bigelow! I don't remember that. But I did just watch zero dark thirty, and, meh. The last 30 minutes were good.

      Delete
  12. Check out bridesmaid dress options to get your soft sage/lilac! Some of their "gown" options are basically colorful bridal dresses - AND way cheaper! http://www.davidsbridal.com/Browse_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Long-Bridesmaid-Dresses__pageSize-all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to advise the same! Also, some bridesmaid dress options will come in white/ivory/blush/etc. It may partly depend on if you're feeling more "dress" or more "gown" — but I love some of the current silhouettes at J.Crew and even the priciest 'maids dresses are around $300.

      But that said, I think your top options are both gorgeous. And yeah, the chip-clipper thing kind of takes some of the magic out of this supposedly "magical experience."

      Delete
    2. Good tips. I definitely don't want a short dress...these runner legs will defy my attempt to look anything like a princess. But I'm sure there are plenty of long bridesmaid dress options?

      Delete
  13. It's not too late. Take my advice. I WILL say I told you so later.

    Elope.

    Elope.

    Elope.

    What I say three times it true. You will be very happy you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure she already did that :)

      Delete
    2. ohhhh yep. Eloped 1.5 years ago, somehow I still didn't evade the wedding. Whoops?

      Our families and friends will really appreciate the wedding, and at this point, we're stoked to party too.

      Delete
  14. My engagement was only four months. Super simple back yard wedding. I refused to spend more than 300 on a dress and found one for $298!! I love 3.5 and 1. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a backyard!! I've thought about that many times. Especially while house hunting ;) not too late to change the wedding venue...

      Delete
  15. i loved looking through the dress pictures and i loved looking at a couple and saying to myself... oh that is totally not her! i do love the self absorbed post. that is what a blog is supposed to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're basing my style on your memory of my high school dresses...haha....then anything that isn't super revealing is totally not me. Stomach-less wedding dress!

      Delete
  16. For someone who planned and executed our wedding in less than 3 months and a $5000 budget, I am probably not the best to give advice. I found my dress in a closeout sale for 75% off and probably $200, the second one I put on. That was 16 years ago and I'm still with the man. I still have the dress too and I realize how it was so not about the back. But you have a beautiful back and you could certainly pull number 1 off with bravado.
    Here are my most and least favorites (in order):
    Best 1, 3.5, 3. Is it just me or 3. screams Pippa?
    Worst 8,7,6. Personally I find that a higher waist suits you better than a lower one. May work for Brittney but she's smaller and bulkier.
    Good luck with whatever you chose! I'd also go with the dress that needs the least alterations. You definitely need to feel like you can run in the dress, not that you'd want to run away any time soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are the perfect person to give advice! I'd love to keep it under $5000. To much food and drink for that to happen!

      Pippa...that is a good thing. I want a dress that screams Pippa from the back!

      Delete
    2. We only had 30 guests, we didn't go to church and the whole thing was over within 12h. My only regret? I forgot to do my nails (I never do) and the photo closeup with the bouquet was just gross. I still cringe when I look at it. I also DJ'd the party, but I don't recommend it, it makes for crappy transitions.

      Delete
  17. #1 looks too plain, shapeless and frumpy.The shoulder things are distracting and take the focus off of you. They say "Hey, look here first, we don't really belong here. Think about why we're here for a second before moving on". #2 is the best of the pack. Years of running has made you very lean, #2 give you a little extra curve in the waist/hips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is going to haunt me when I pick #1! Frumpy shapeless ahhhhhh! Just kidding, good to consider your perspective. it's all about taste....I love dresses with shoulders/sleeves, never been a big fan of strapless, so I think those sleeves belong there!

      Delete
  18. Love dress #1. Also, here's a decently priced house, if you don't mind having to go/down steep steps: http://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/5671-Merriewood-Dr-94611/home/1799449. I've been to an open house, and the inside is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks awesome! I ran by it today and was going to go to the open house...but it said sale pending. OF COURSE.

      Delete
    2. There are actually two houses for sale on Merriewood, so maybe one is still up for sale?! I only push b/c I live in the neighborhood and want more cool, young neighbors. :P

      Oh yeah... Photographer rec: Nirav Patel http://niravphotography.com/ He is an incredible photographer and a really nice guy. Rings: Overstock.com has some nice, cheap options. I've seen ones with wood inlayed.

      Delete
  19. Golly, I wish I didn't love this post as much as I did. I like No 1 with the sash on the left. I liked No 5 very much, shame about the sunflowers. I also liked No 9!

    Dresses tend to look better from the back because if you're having a church wedding, your guests spend a lot of time looking at your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they stare at your back no matter where the ceremony is, huh?

      Delete
  20. #2! #2! I think it looks great in that picture. I really love that neckline on you, and I like the structured look better than free-flowing (both in general and on you).

    #1 is also very pretty, but I don't like the flowered sash with it. Too distracting with all of the other texture going on.

    Either way, you have a hot body and anything you pick will look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Number two is a gem, isn't it?

      Delete
  21. Our favorite store, TARGET, just came out with their own dresses, but they are very, very basic: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2329748/A-wedding-dress-100-Target-launches-bridal-collection-big-days-budget.html

    JCrew is supposed to have some affordable wedding dresses, too.

    One of my sister's bought her wedding dress at DB this February. I was surprised to see some really nice dresses there. (Also saw some not-so-nice ones, like gross neon orange belly-baring bridesmaid dresses.) Her dress is a stunner, but I think it was a bit out of her budget. I also got a really nice maid of honor dress there that I'll probably wear to other fancy affairs.

    I like Dress No. 1 the best out of all those you posted. I'm surprised you aren't dealing with tan lines -- mine are HORRIBLE and I have four months to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. For dress no. 1 I prefer the sash on the left.

      Delete
    2. My sunscreen works! Phew! It also helps that most days my runs are early before the sun really hits. And I'm weird in that on hot days, I like cotton t-shirts that are kind of baggy and covers a lot of skin....don't know why.

      Go Target! Long overdue

      Delete
  22. If it makes you feel any better, I planned my wedding in 5 weeks and ordered my (champagne-colored) dress online from Free People. And we invited people by email. Talk about ghetto! But it ended up being super fun and perfect for us. :)

    Your pictures are hilarious, mainly because of your facial expressions and body language. I do the same thing, and my mom yells at me to "at least try to make it look good" and to put myself in it ... whatever that means. For what it's worth, I think that dress #1 is beautiful on you and definitely the best out of the choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look pretty miserable in some of these, don't I!? Love your casual wedding. We went with e-mail for save the dates, but pulled the trigger on paper cards for the invite. It will be a fun memento.

      Delete
  23. As someone who was adamant about having a cheap, cheerful and non-traditional wedding, I do quite like the look of those long white dresses! I loved my city hall - no one spoke English at the counter - over in 90 seconds ceremony, but I wish I had:

    -Gotten a photographer!
    -Had my make up done by someone who wasn't, um...me.
    -Let my husband buy a bouquet in the hotel lobby. Thing was ugg and I carried it around for hours.

    For what it is worth, I love you in Number 6. Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore your wedding story. Always have. Get a pretty dress for your 10 year and get some photos taken? I've never had professional photos done, still not sure where I stand on that....but my family objected when I said I was going to ask a family friend to take some pictures of the day.

      Delete
  24. Now here's a blog posting I can get into! We spent about $5K on our wedding (paid for it ourselves, no parental support). 12 years ago. I bought my dress on ebay for about $200. I loved it, and spent more getting it altered than I did buying it (not a lot more). I also had no regrets about sending it on to Goodwill a few years later (why shouldn't it have another fabulous day? I wasn't going to wear it again!). Our wedding was outside so I amputated the train -- too much to worry about (my step daughter, 7 at the time said, "you cut off your tail!"). I don't like any of your dresses, none of them look like you! I do applaud your exposing your back approach. I'd go shorter and simpler, and for some reason I see you with daisies even though you are a rose.

    For rings go to the 14 Carets on College. They used to do rings with petrified wood. And they are damn fine people.

    I live about two blocks from that Merriewood house -- if you moved to Montclair we could be neighbors. I know you aren't having kids, but I love the neighborhood school. In case you adopt Gemma.

    I'd love to give you more cost cutting advice, but he's the big thing. If you don't care about it, don't let anyone bully you into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did it right! Trains are lovely for photographs, but not much else. Gives the bridesmaids something to do I guess?

      I will check out 13 Carets, thank you! And we will inevitably be neighbors..I love Montclair! Have had my eye on it for a while.

      Delete
  25. You should try Nordstrom's bridal section too. I planned my Britney Spears surprise wedding the week of and got my dress for $300 (tailored by them too). It looks a lot like the second to the last one in your post. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nordstroms, will browse. Good to know they can get it done in one week if I still don't have a dress in 3 months.

      Delete
  26. I think #7 could have been a real contender if you had been wearing the correct size. It's way too big in the front for you, but I have a feeling it would have been a very pretty silhouette if it had fit correctly. I am also not a fan of illusion netting, but #6 looks really gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. 7 does have a fun back...but yeah, the front was a dud on me. If I recall, #6 was stunning and rightfully quite expensive. Would be perfect for a more formal wedding.

      Delete
  27. I love #1!!!! Maybe because that was one of the dresses that I too tried on at DB and loved as well. Aaawwww shucks. Looking babe-a-licious! Welcome to wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have seen a version of this post from you! I bet you looked stupid good in every dress. How could you choose?!

      Delete
  28. This was so much fun to look through. I also love your top two choices! I was cracking up about some of your comments on the "no" dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love #9 ... the "runching" (is that seriously what it's called? what an ugly word!) is nice because it's tight (is that the right way to say it??). I agree that the loose (??) runching on #8 sucks even though the back is gorgeous. Option #1 is beautiful, I love all the details! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. I don't know my fashion words. Something like that.

      Delete
  30. Is it wrong that I kind of LOVE the illusion neckline on you? Yeesh. Never thought I'd say THAT. I can't wait to see what you actually pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The words coming out of your mouth! You sound as silly as I'm starting to sound

      Delete
  31. I LOVE #2 and #7. Can't waif to see what you choose. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVED seeing all those dresses on you - really really love the #1 and I really loved #6 without the illusion neckline - I agree, reminds me of a figure skater. You looked stunning in all of them, wow. So exciting! I went so cheap on my wedding dress and would NEVER pick it again. yuck. But, I really love some of the ones you tried on. Makes me want a redo.

    Great job on those treadmill runs, as well. I say if you are getting faster on the treadmill, you are getting faster on the road. I think the treadmill is a great tool to gain speed. Fun post to read:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! hahaha, I'm laughing that you say "yuck" to your wedding dress! I'm afraid that I will probably feel that way about my dress in 10 years....that's how I feel looking back at my prom dresses! I hope you get the chance to re-do. I bet your kids would LOVE going to a renewal party, seems like a sweet thing to do once you have a family.

      Delete
  33. I don't know shit about anything wedding related, but I do know that you are hilarious, all look basically ok, an #1 is amazing. You are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, "basically ok." Strong endorsement! You're sweet. Another check for #1!

      Delete
  34. I can not offer any help to all this wedding business but your descriptions of the dresses were freaking hilarious. I know you are DYING to know my opinion. Don't buy one and go on a super nice vacation :D.... or pick 1 or 2. You look really pretty in them.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Realizing that you want a "real" wedding dress is awesome...and means you should definitely get one that you LOVE. I love mine. I was super lucky and was able to get one that fit perfectly with no alterations...super lucky because we planned our wedding in 5 weeks!

    You look lovely in all. I prefer #1 with the plain sash. I don't want to be distracted from how lovely YOU are in the dress.

    Make sure you get a good photographer. Don't cheap out on that.

    ReplyDelete
  36. My best friend got her dress at DB, though she was quite sure the visit would be a colossal waste of time. We started at a shop in midtown Sacramento, but the prices were a little higher and it didn't have as many options for her size/requirements. She wound up going with one that didn't need a lot of alterations, and that saved a lot of money. Plus, she didn't have to worry about what the dress would REALLY look like once they had altered it (or risk having Page's nightmare of a bad seamstress).

    Photographers can be expensive, but like XLMIC said, it's worth it. While I do have some photographer friends I can introduce you to, I recommend just searching the web for Bay Area photographers until someone's website catches your eye. Everyone has very different taste, so if a site gets your attention, it's probably "your" kind of style.

    I must admit that I loved this post, even if I pretend to be an anti-wedding/etc scrooge. You look great in most of the dresses, though I agree that the illusion necklines are hideous. But I guess they'd cover up chafing marks?

    ReplyDelete
  37. I know I am late to the party but I'm catching up on internet life. I have to say that I had the same opinion of David's Bridal that you did but I ended up buying my dress there. All the cool kids buy from there! It was perfect and no one (the few rude people who asked) could believe I only spent $800 on my dress. I wore the dress for maybe 5 hours tops and now it's sitting in a professionally sealed box in our guest room closet taking up a huge amount of space. Seriously you look gorgeous in even the average dresses above. Can they not dye Number 1 in an off color? Maybe changing the color a bit is not something they really do and I just randomly made that up in my head.

    Keep up with the wedding posts, we obviously all love it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful! I love your final selection!

    PS I used to get major sports bra chafe as well (helloooo bonus necklace!) but now completely spray my entire neckline with Trislide (the aerosol spray in a can) and have managed to avoid it since

    ReplyDelete
  39. LOVE dress #2. I bought my dress at David's 5 years ago and loved it. I think going broke over a wedding dress is silly. The second best $$ I spent was for professional hair and make up. Do it. I am not much for makeup or hair - never have been so the ladies who know what they're doing are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, you tried on a lot of dresses! I definitely like the last (first?) one the best! That neckline is great!

    ReplyDelete
  41. A little late here, but I was super excited when I saw your number one choice because that was totally the dress I wore at my wedding and I LOVED IT!! I felt like Galadriel from Lord of the rings (nerd alert) and the way that it flowed reminded me of water. It was great. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I can't believe I'm just getting to this post now!!! That was amazing!! First off, I am very jealous that I didn't get to be there for the wedding dress shopping, but this post 90% makes up for it. :) I loved your top choices, but I have to say totally unbiased that I think you look amazing in all of them. You could wear a garbage bag and look good. Ok, you just got me super extra excited now! I want to know what you chose!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm trying to find a wedding dress myself! Number one looks fabulous on you, although I agree about the color ... I really don't want a white one, either! I'm thinking of going with this red bridesmaid's dress (sans the goofy flower). Anyway, it seems like these Jim Hjelm dresses are carried in a lot of shops and there are a ton of different color/style options. Also, I think they go for $100-300. Just thought I'd put in my two cents (if you haven't already settled on one of the David's dresses).

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!