Monday, July 8, 2013

Publish

What just happened????

Something, my friends, extremely brave.  Intrepid.  Courageous.

I KEPT MY JOB.  Instead of keeping my blog and quitting my job.

Shazaam!  That's real life, isn't it?

This isn't to say that I am done here.  This is to say I haven't had the motivation, energy, time, or balance to blog.  I warned you 2013 would be a slow year here! But I don't intend to shut this all down.  Let's get that out of the way first.  I'm not quitting blogging.  At least, that isn't an official choice I have made.  There certainly is some strange contagion floating around that is making the exit awfully tempting....sayonara to the Queen Bee of Bay Area running bloggers (that is a compliment), Aron!  And Cate!

This is a picture that includes Aron and Cate.  And other lovelies. 

(there really is some correlation with the death of blogs and the death of Google Reader.  I simply haven't found any replacement that interests me, so I'm officially not reading any blogs.  What am I going to snark on now!??)

I understand that I don't have any obligation to blog, and I don't owe anyone an explanation or an apology.  However, I personally do not appreciate when people who I have followed for months or years suddenly drop off the face of the internet earth.  So out of appreciation for all the support, wisdom, straight-talk, love, and occasional hate, I certainly do owe some discussion for why this blog went into hibernation! (And a reminder that it may continue to be quieter here for a period of time....)

Blogging is work.  Barely, but you put in the minutes to write, to find the pictures, to respond to the comments (I admittedly don't always respond to comments).

**It can especially be HARD work to open your email inbox to copy/paste the description from the Running Product (c) that is sponsoring your post for a pretty penny.**  (See the irony here, is that people who blog for a living do the most mindless posting.  Here's a picture of stuff in my purse.  Here's a picture of me sweaty after running.  Here's a picture of Running Product (c).  And us mere hobby bloggers, who deal with a real 40-80 hours of work per week, have to actually come up with the content.  With our brainz.)

For me, blogging is mostly fun, but still, sort of work.  

This past month, I have had to decline any smidgen of extra "work."  Real work has been the S word (stressful) and consuming.  As in, surprise-wake-up-call, you-have-to-work-on-the-Fourth-of-July even-though-you-made-a-lot-of-fun-plans consuming.  But thankfully, I worked hard to earn some play time.  There was a 4-day trip to Austin, Texas in there.  And a fullfilling and rejuvinating camping weekend.


Salt Point State Park.  Oh, the goggles? Yeah, I'm a genius.  I got sick of my eyes burning and pulled these out of my gym bag in the car trunk.  The first use the swim goggles have gotten in a while...

And then of course, wedding planning.  This still mostly involves looking up wedding dresses on the internet.  I've gotten almost....nowhere.  A dress is in the mail on the way.  A real dress, not stun guns.  Oh, inside joke, sorry you wouldn't get it.  I'll explain.  I ordered a dress a while back and instead got stun guns.  It was a hilarious story that I was really proud of until it turned out to just be a UPS mixup.

Just another stupid dress that isn't "the one."

Where to backtrack to....

There is so much that has fleeted in and out of my mind that I have wanted to share and blog about in the past month-plus of barren deadland on roserunneristhebomb.com

One thing, for instance, is that I need to recap the last race I ran (also over a month ago!).  And as a SuperJane I am contractually obligated to write a recap.

Can someone psychoanalyze why it is that the first time I became obligated to write a blog post is the first time I didn't want to write at all? 

The recap will be short, and I'll get it up next.  All there is to say, really, is that it was a 90 minute blur of dreaming about slurpies and swimming pools.  It was fucking hot.  

So hot that my ipod was just extra weight. 

So hot that I sweated cloud patterns

Rewinding from the June 8 race.  I'll try to catch you up.

You could possibly call the theme of this month+ in running “RoseRunner tries to run in the heat and fails.”  So many hot, hot, unbearably hot runs for one poor little un-acclimated northern California runner who runs all of her runs in perfect 50 degree morning air, or less than perfect 70 degree hot fart gym air.

9 days before the See Jane Run half marathon, I came down with a wimpy strain of the flu. Symptoms included: feeling deadly tired and having no appetite.  For about two days, I ate tiny pathetic meals that are reserved for the people who read Shape/Self/Health magazines (1200 calories a day!) instead of my normal 9 course dinners that would make a Shape reader cry with disgust.

I woke up on the third day, a Saturday, feeling like myself except for the fact that I was under-fueled from being sick.  I nevertheless met up with Jessica in San Jose for a long run (19 miles) on a hot day.

We hit mile 6, and I’ve never felt so depleted on a run ever.  This must be what hitting the wall really feels like.  I simply felt empty.  Note to all runners who are trying to get over the hurdle of a certain distance: it really is about fuelEat a bigger dinner the night before. This has always worked for me to comfortably get through 16-23 mile runs without fail.   That big dinner you are picturing? Even bigger.  Now add 3 pieces of toast.  You're close. 

I bought and chugged a Gatorade, and then felt empty again.  At mile 12, I bought and chugged another Gatorade.  It was so hot.  Hardest run I’ve been on a in a long time, and I conked out on the couch the second I came home for a long nap.  This did not bode well for the half-marathon one week away.

Then Tuesday before the half, I ran 8x400 meter sprints (around 82-84 seconds) because I thought it would wake up my legs for the half.  Nothing notable about this, except that it was only the second time I did ANY track week in the last 6 months, which may not have been wise.  To do right before a race.

The Thursday before the half, I hopped on the treadmill for three, measly, little, half-mile repeats at half-marathon goal pace (6:25-6:29).  I’ve run miles and miles at this pace on the treadmill in the past  few months, so 3 half mile repeats, with a full 1.5 mile relaxing recovery in between, was supposed to feel easy and just a little reminder of the pace I was gunning for in 3 days.

The repeats could not end soon enough.  I had nuthin.  6:25 pace was knocking me out.  Does not bode well for the half marathon!

Aaaand, then the forecast for race day was 80 degree.  Predictable recap to come, I promise.

After SJR, I worked, worked some more, and earned 3 days off for a mini-vacation to Austin Texas! whoa! cool city.  Very, very insanely holy shit kill me now hot.  So humid.

I stayed naked the whole trip, it was truly too hot for clothing 


Torchy's Tacos, thanks for the recommendations! 

I got tore up by bugs (fire ants?) and one of the bites turned into a Harry Potter scar (I never scratched that thing; it was just shaped like this.)

Waiting to watch the bats come out at sunset

Gordoughs donuts.  We ate so, so much in Austin.

I ran outside 3 times while I was there, during which I chugged about 9 gatorades (that's 3 per run geniuses), lost one t-shirt to a garbage can due to it being a completely worthless soaking wet sweat sack, and generally lost more sweat per run than I typically lose per year while running.  All the locals were running like it was normal.  Way too hot to be outside for any reason, running being the stupidest reason of them all.  But oh, those acclimated Austin locals, barely sweating, running 8:00 minute miles to my careful 9:00 minutes.  I was careful. It occurred to me that this was perfect weather to pass out in.

Upon returning to Oakland, land of the hipster (the less-tattoed hipster in comparison to Austin) and perfect weather, I've felt like I can take on anything.  I ran for 3 hours in 80-90 degrees this past weekend, and it was no thang.  Barely even batted an eye. Without humidity, that's like a comfortable breeze.  

Running has of course been happening.  If I flip through my running log, we've missed:

62 miles (May 27-June 1)
56 miles (June 3-9)
77 miles (June 10-16)
91 miles (June 17-23)
93 miles (June 24-30)
74 miles (July 1-6)

Took a little taper thing for the half marathon, and then stopped running hard.  Not running hard makes running volume very easy.  90 miles at 7:30-9:30 paces is definitely an "easy week" compared to 60 miles with some sprints and tempos.

Notable events while running recently include:

  • Stopping for fuel in the middle of a long run by....eating a bunch of cherry plums that were hanging off of a public tree.  
  • Finishing up runs (four times now) by getting the biggest size Slurpee at 7-11, and then run/walking the 3/4 mile home with it.  I get a lot of stares doing this.
  • Falling asleep after running on the weekend.  What is happening this summer?  
You know what, let me just end by saying I apologize for the jumbled post.  I'll try to commit to 1) a SJR recap; 2) a wedding planning recap; and 3) a running/life recap.  This is a peek into all three. 

Publish.  Finally.  

44 comments:

  1. Was feeling a bit groggy waking up for my run at 5 am but noticing a RoseRunner post in my inbox woke me up right away. It has been too long and while I appreciate when people actually have a real life and do not blog daily, you've been missed. Sorry the heat got to you so badly.... Training/racing in the heat is always a sufferfest. Also, the stun gun story is still hysterical even with finding out it was a UPS mix up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a heat wimp, I know I have it easy in one if the few parts of the country that doesn't get humid. Do people in the rest of the country do Bikram yoga outside in the summer, or what?

      Delete
  2. Well, nice to see you, Roserunner! I can't believe you chose to be a lawyer over getting fridges of Gatorade in the mail for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why settle for free Gatorade and compression socks when you can have stun guns? You know. For all your long-run self-defense needs.

      Don't know how you log all those miles while still having a full-time job AND a life. You're a rockstar, what is your secret?

      PS - I love Austin. Spent a week there about eight years ago and I'm still thinking about the barbecue. But it was spring, not the middle of July...

      Delete
    2. Gracie--It's a brave choice, but I would probably have chosen a fridge full of slurpees over a job. A slurpee machine.

      Grace--it will be a good day when I see a stun gun sponsoring a blogger. It's not a bad idea! Probably safer than mace, which can spread over to you.

      Its probably obnoxious to hear me to say "I'm busy, so stressed" but then knock out a 70 or 90 mile week, but the secret is probably just I sleep less than I should. I could choose 8 hours of sleep, or I could choose 6 hours of sleep with 1.5 hours of running. I almost always choose the latter. And then I sleep all weekend to catch up! Running in the morning really, really helps me deal with stress, so I very rarely give it up even when feeling crunched for time.

      Spring in Austin sounds perfect! The food, oh the food...the bbq, the trucks, it was all so good.

      Delete
  3. I just assume that the people that stop blogging have a reason. One that makes sense to them. Much as I like reading some blogs, and much as I miss some blogs that have gone on to their reward in the great server in the sky, and much as I don't understand the fuss about Google Reader, I just enjoy what gets written, and don't make any judgements about the blogger. Blog if it's fun for you, don't blog if it's not. You don't owe us any explanations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you for being a non-judgy reader! That's hard to do.

      Delete
  4. I could not agree with you more about blogging and real life. I've somewhat been in a "blogging rut" lately when all I do is work...and then what? I'm not going to blog about my job and there is only so much you can say about running daily.

    You have been missed, I have admittedly creeped fb a couple times and I'm glad to know you are doing well. The heat sucks this year and hopefully you'll get acclimated soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to creep, just message me next time and we'll talk! We've gotta stay in touch even when I'm not blogging

      Delete
  5. Nice to see you! Try inoreader.com. I've attempted to use approximately 9 other readers and this one is my favorite. It functions largely just as Google Reader did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it! I can see why its your favorite. I just tried it on the desktop, I'll check it out on the iphone and see how that goes. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. It's kinda funny that I didn't see you for a long time on the blog or IRL - then I saw you twice around the Lake last week and now on the blog! All that to say that it's nice to see you again. :)

    Two things (non-running related):
    1. Thursday is free slurpee day.
    2. You must blog about Umami Burger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for keeping me apprised of all things important! Umami burger is a gem, but I have to tell you an adorable story about our server. And free slurpee! yay!

      Delete
  7. Good to see you blogging again. You've been missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolly! Teach me how to run in the heat please....

      Delete
  8. Happy to see you're back. I clearly need to take up your Slurpee cool-down method, Seattle has been hot (for us) and it might actually convince me to run more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been to Seattle once, and it was during a crazy heat wave, so I always think of Seattle as a very hot place. Totally accurate I'm sure

      Delete
  9. Well I'm glad you're back! I thought for one horrible minute in your first couple of paragraphs that you were going to stop blogging too and I was about to explode with grumpiness, so I'm glad you're still here, sporadically or not!

    You got some cracking miles in, during your absence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwhaha, explode with grumpiness! I can't let that happen!

      Delete
  10. I assume everyone who stops blogging has died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when you assume, you make things come true. Old saying.

      Delete
  11. Awesome on Austin! I still want to visit there - it seems like my perfect city (except for the heat) - it seems to have great food, and is obsessed with sports and music. Pretty much all I care about lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of perfect! It's still affordable-ish, and just so vibrant. And much more green/nature than I would have thought!

      Delete
  12. As always, I love this post. Good luck on the wedding dress hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you're back. I'm using theoldreader.com. It's a whole lot like google reader and much better than any of the alternatives I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, I'm glad you are back. Thanks for the post! I haven't bothered posting in ages but I still love reading my faves, and you are one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!

    But I knew that ;-)

    What flavor slurpee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go for grape and citrus flavors. They have some good new ones this summer! There was a cherry-lime, and a mandarin something or other.

      Delete
    2. Do you do the layering thing? That's my favorite.

      Delete
  16. I love a good post run slurpee. At one stage they were selling popping candy to add to slurpees and it was amazing!

    During summer here it's usually 70 degrees and 90% humidity in the mornings, or about 85 with slightly less humidity in the afternoon. Either way it sucks. Winter is perfect, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. popping candy? that's absurd, but I like it. I grew up dipping a 7-11 beefstick into a Slurpee, which probably sounds as weird as dipping fries into a frosty, but both are two nostalgia snacks for me!

      Delete
  17. I can sympathize with you hitting the heat and humidity of Austin like a wall. I'm in the southeastern US with temps in the low 90s and humidity constantly up, up, up. Add to that the fact that a family of bobcats has moved into my neighborhood and keeps coming out in broad daylight and my motivation to run hasn't been the strongest. I don't do enough regular sprint-work to think I could outrun a full grown bobcat, especially if I run across them at the tail end of my run when I'm all out of gas already. This is my first time visiting your blog. Neon Blonde Runner mentioned you and I decided to stop by and see what you're all about. I totally sympathize with the feeling that blogging is work sometimes. And when your paying job kicks into high gear blogging has to fall by the wayside sometimes. It's just the way it is. Anyway, I'm going to look around at more posts to get a better feel for what your blog is all about. Nice to meet you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are bobcats dangerous? like mountain lions? yeesh. I would never leave the house. I'm Neon helped you find me, and vice versa, because I'm excited to know an Emile Buttocks. Can't go wrong with that user name.

      Delete
  18. TX running in summer, esp TX marathon training in summer, aint no joke! I have been doing it for a few yrs now and it never gets easier.

    Oh and I love the cucumber lime gatorade by the way that you talked about a while back. It's so refreshing after a long run!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cucumber lime is so so so good. You either love it or hate it. I hear there is a new strawberry lemonade, sounds pretty nice....

      Delete
  19. Looking forward to your half marathon recap. I won an entry to the SJR half in Boise on your blog. At mile 12.3 or so, me and another girl were in 2nd and 3rd place and got directed TWICE by some kids sitting on a fence covering the course arrow to go the wrong way. Bummer, because we were both unfamiliar with the course and Boise and got disqualified and missed out on a free pair of shoes. There was no way the 4th place girl would have caught us so it really sucked! But thanks for the entry anyway. It was an awesome course and a beautiful day and I just keep telling myself that the free Newtons wouldn't work for my feet anyway. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha! Oh my gosh, thanks for posting this; I have been feeling the exact same way lately! I don't have the energy to work, run AND blog! Although my mileage is not even close to yours! Holy heck woman, 90 miles!?

    I ran See Jane Run last year and to be honest was not a huge fan. But luckily it was not super hot the day I did it; I just didn't like the sheer mass of walkers/slower folks. No offense to them. I'm looking forward to your recap.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I had no idea people actually liked reading your blog. I think you should re-think keeping it. Nobody wants to hear from someone with a giant chip on their shoulder. Poor you; a job, no kids, planning a boring wedding, and a hobby. HOW DO YOU DO IT?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not "poor me." I have no complaints about my personal life, although I am a fan of complaining about dorky blog trends. and omg you're really cool for pointing out that weddings are soooooo boring and that you're only justifiably busy if you have a job AND kids. wtf.

      Delete
    2. Not weddings... just your wedding.

      Delete
    3. I'm whole-heartedly taking that as a compliment. Big weddings are like big trucks, overcompensating for what is lacking. We don't need the bells, whistles, fanfare, glitz and glamour, because we are simply in love. Which, of course, is why we already got married in the most boring way possible: all by ourselves. Yes. I'll definitely take a boring wedding and a life of big love over a huge princess wedding with a divorce two years later.

      Woohooo! I love planning my boring wedding!!

      Delete
    4. I LOVE this comment. "I had no idea people actually liked reading your blog." So so many ways this doesnt make much sense. People like reading as evidenced above. Not sure how Anon had no idea, given that he/she obviously came on over here, and did some good ole chowing down on RoseRunner-lit, themselves.

      Plus, everyone loves chips. I mean come on. Especially giant chips. Delish!

      Delete
  22. That picture of you with the goggles is FANTASTIC. It should be the new main picture on the blog. Oh wait, this is a running blog and it makes more sense to have a picture of you running? Whatever.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!