Sunday, August 18, 2013

None of this is true

Hi ladies and gentlemen!

I'm going to take advantage of this Sunday night opportunity to say hi and see what you all are up to.  What's cooking in blog land?! What'd I miss?

I'll tell you a few things you've missed in my life.

1) Wedding Planning

~The planning has slowed to a trickle of last minute details. The Gentleman and I have both been sorely consumed by work and not attending carefully to the planning, but that's probably a good thing since I was just aimlessly looking at Etsy as my "wedding planning".   Nevertheless, the shindig is going forward, flights of loved ones have been booked, and the Gentleman and I are throwing a party for our nearest and dearest in, omg, FIVE days.

~Remember that hilarious David's Bridal modeling show I put you through?  None of those dresses will be worn by me next Saturday.

Instead I bought TWO dresses.  Neither are from David's Bridal.  They are amazing.  I am having a helluva time deciding which one to wear...both are unique...I can't tell you how many times I have been advised to just wear BOTH and pull off a costume change.  I don't really know how to without seeming like a diva? I'm probably not going to do that.  I want so badly to share the dresses and get your advice but sometimes a flood of internet advice can be counter-effective and just overwhelming.  And one of y'all will tell me you hate the dress that I end up wearing, and that will be sitting in my head the whole day.  So HUSH.  You can hate it later.

The runner-up dress is below.  It is a Mara Hoffman gown that I altered for fit in the bands and the length, and there is some chance I will still wear it....but as of right now, it has been overshadowed by my alternate choice, which I'll keep under cover for now.

Wet hair is my signature look

~I've learned a LOT about people and friends during this whole planning process.  Without sharing too much detail, I can say that some friends have bent over backwards to make sure they can be a part of the day even though they live far away or were invited fairly late in the process, and I will love them forever for it.  Meanwhile, other local friends have given the....shittiest excuses ever for not being able to come.  I'm a fairly drama free person, but these reasons for not being able to make it are fairly insulting and it's hard not to take it personally.  Either people don't really like going to weddings, or they feel this is just a minor BBQ since we are already married, or they never really liked us.

~I have also learned that Oakland continues to beckon me to hate it.  This is only slightly related to the wedding planning--I think it is more that with each step further into adulthood, the more I feel desperate to sink my roots down somewhere less crowded (i.e. no apartment neighbors pounding on every side), with a backyard, where I feel SAFE when I step outside.  I've had Oakland pride for almost 6 years now, but I'm losing it.   Case to illustrate: our package delivery of personalized wedding guest favors was stolen from our building door step.  Also our car was broken into (again), nothing appeared to be taken.  A bunch of real class acts in this city.

~In other news, I've gotten my dumpiest just in time for the wedding.  For reasons due to a lull in my running (read more below) combined with late nights in the office with popcorn and a bar of chocolate for dinner, I'm feeling like a worn out unhealthy lawyer.  A lot of this is in my head, I'm sure I'll look exactly like my normal self, but it's still too bad that I evaded wedding boot camp or something.  The Gentleman and I have a running joke where we look at each other while chowing down on our oreos, gorgonzola gnocchi, smores (we have so many smores ingredients in the house from summer camping trips), ice cream, etc., and say, "man I can't wait for this wedding diet to be over!"  Ha.

But I have help in this department!  I had a practice hair/makeup run, and I think we're in good shape!  It was so fun.  I walked around the grocery store for a half hour afterwards waiting for someone to shout, "Are you a model!? Do you want to go on a date!?"  I felt like an entirely different creature.  I never have this much stuff on my face.


Hi, my name is blush

Who....are you

I want to take this makeup lady with me everywhere.  She made my eyes 3x bigger than they really are, and for some reasons humans are into big eyes.

In the end, the most important thing is that I'm thrilled about the wedding and about every single person who CAN make it and has made an effort to make it, and I can't wait to crump, c-walk, dougie, and bernie lean all over the dance floor. And commit some serious, serious slow dancing.

2) Running

~Things were going ok for a while there.  I had a few tempo runs in the 6:40 zone, some high mileage weeks, and then hip flexor started hurting.  For two weeks, I danced a pattern of take 2 days off, feel okay enough to run, feel not okay on the next run, back to 2 days off.  It has been extremely difficult for me to come to a full running halt right now in order to take care of the hip flexor pain.  With heavy work days and the wedding, I need that stupid rock in the morning.  It gives me confidence, energy, happiness, and excitement to wake up.  I would be much sadder to wake up most mornings if the only place I was headed was work.  I really like to explore the fresh air first, it helps get through the day so so much.

The good news though, is that the hip flexor pain does seem to be improving.  This (sunday) morning I comfortably ran 15 miles.  Comfortable for the hip flexor at least--the rest of me has gradually gotten used to shorter and shorter long runs, and these days, 15 miles feels really intensely long.  My new happy place is 10-12 miles.  Where is that girl who rocked 20 milers like it was nothing!?

~I canceled my fancy expensive gym membership where I swam in a luxurious adult-only pool, so haven't had as many cross-training options.  I found the elliptical a few times, and it's surprising how much I've lost my tolerance for it.  Back in law school, I would bring a thick law book and read case law for two hours on that thing.  Now, I can barely make it one hour without feeling...car sick or something.

~I have a new health insurance plan, and am hoping to start a regular rehab program with a physical therapist.  I am delving deep into the land of no return with this leg-lock issue.  Even though the hip flexor thing has been improving by the day, the leg-lock always is a problem for running fast.  I feel so, so restricted and held back.  It's suffocating!

3) Life

I may have said this before, but it is still true: 2013 is not the year of running for me.  It is the year of wedding, honeymoon, increased work responsibilities, and house hunt, and I am ecstatic to have those fulfilling adventures to focus on while running and racing goes on the back burner.

This is my uniform these days, not running gear

Unfortunately, that means that the three races I am signed up for in the remainder of the year may very well be no-shows for me.  I believe signing up for a race in advance is a curse that means you will not be able to run and will instead watch your money disappear.

I'm signed up for the San Jose RnR half in October, the inaugural Berkeley half marathon in November (got in for free), and CIM in December (because why not, it's arguably the best marathon in NorCal or even all of California).  I don't think I will be rehabbed in time to run "fast" by October; I will be on honeymoon in November; and will be in no shape to run a marathon in December after a 3 week honeymoon.  Although I am open to advice for good places to run in Peru in case I can somehow get a few runs in. ;)

4) Etc.


Neon Katherine!

~A long while back I had the pleasure of meeting Katherine when she was in the Bay Area and we had a great meal together.  I can't stress enough what a delight it was--I mean, I know we all gush about meeting bloggers after we meet them, but this was like at least over a month ago and I'm still buzzing from the new friendship.  She has a much, much bigger personality than I was prepared for (aren't most internet nerds secretly awkward hermits?) and you just have to know, her blog is just the tip of the iceberg.  She is super neato.  You can quote me on that.  

~I'm sad  we haven't been able to discuss Desiree together.



What a strange season of the Bachelorette this was.  Poor girl can convince her simple brain to believe anything, including, that she is in love with Chris while still crying over Brooks.   Janae PLEASE BE the next bachelorette.  Those men would be tripping all over themselves to get the most eligible hotty in the country right now.  I'm getting in line myself.

~As for blogging, it will continue to be what it is.  Sporadic, probably boring for you.  I'm sure it is difficult as a reader to stay invested in a blog when the material is so sparse.  I will say I have increasingly battled feelings of.... caution about the world of blogging.  It feels more than ever that there are risks to sharing truths of your life publicly.  It is unwise for so many reasons....relating to career, safety, privacy, sanity, etc.  From here on out, I'm going to mostly lie ;)  None of this is true! I'm not me! You don't know nothin!

42 comments:

  1. Well, I can hardly wait to see which wedding dress you did choose! and, YES! Huge eyes! I hardly recognized you.
    I'm sorry about your hip flexor problem. This plagued me last year, and there is always this niggling fear in the back of my mind that it might return. Fortunately (?) I had some forced downtime due to another issue and I've been hip-pain free in 2013!
    I hope you and the Gentleman have a lovely wedding! I'll be expecting lots of pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to introduce myself to all the guests so they don't get confused about who the big-eyed girl is.

      Cheers to a hip-pain free 2013, I'll aim for that in 2014

      Delete
  2. I'm always happy to see an update from you. I'm glad you found a wedding dress and can only imagine what a hassle that was. I can't believe local friends bailing on something so important to you but I'm glad some of your further friends are able to help out. Good luck and have fun with the wedding.

    I hope your hip flexor gets better as well and maybe with relaxing on your honeymoon it will go away. Peru? That sounds awesome.

    Since none of it is true, I'll just assume we are both 50 year old balding men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catfish bloggers! That's happened before, right?

      Delete
  3. If that is the runner-up dress, I can't wait to see the other contender! I really like the detail on the back. It's quite unique.

    Good luck with all the wedding stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other contender is much less dramatic, which in the end is more fitting for a small summer wedding. The black and white one is a stunner though! I agree!

      Delete
  4. Great to see a post from you, even if none of it is really true ;)

    Gah, I'm so sorry running isn't going so well for you at the moment. Seeing a physio has to be the way to go - no-one can pin down what causes my leg-lock for sure, but hopefully they'll have some conclusive answers for you. And in that wedding dress shot you look absolutely nowhere near 'dumpy'(!)

    I agree that your make-up looks incredible. I think the artist had a good canvas to work on to start with, but you look really ethereal and your eyes have an amazing sparkle to them. Combined with the dress you have picked (which I know will be stunning) you'll have some gorgeous wedding shots. And boo to so-called 'friends' who wouldn't come - I'll be blunt and say that's really shitty of them. At least now you know who your real friends are - those other people aren't worth your precious time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet words and support! Still can't wait to see your future goth wedding

      Delete
  5. Hey Rose Runner,
    Good to see an update from you. That is such a pretty wedding dress. I suggest that you be a total diva and do a quick costume change halfway through your party.

    2013 may not be your year for racing but, that's okay. It will be there next year and the year after. My running has had its fair share of cycles. I'm on an upswing right now. I feel great and I'm hoping to run a kick ass half at the end of October.

    Even if your content is not as frequent please keep posting :) I enjoy your "stories" even if they are fabricated ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still miiiggght do the diva thing. too many pretty dresses in the world. High ten for being in the upswing! That is the best feeling, and I'm glad to hear that means your birth-recovery has gone well. What half are you running? I'm going to check in with your blog....

      Delete
  6. The back of that dress is stunning, and I'm loving the 20's-inspired 'do. I think both are totally appropriate for grocery shopping. But maybe like fancy grocery shopping. That outfit really says "I buy organic US Weekly."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said "grocery store" but the truth is I was in whole foods. Totally organic US weekly.

      Delete
  7. That dress is great. I LOVE the art-deco-ish (?) beading or whatever that black design is made from. Kate Middleton wore two different gowns on her wedding day-why not you too? I finally went to see someone about my hip pain and have been sentenced to a lifetime of squats, lunges, and stretches to get my left side back in shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beading! Nice catch. I also like to describe it as art deco. There's a lot of beading on the front too. Suck that Kate Middleton.

      Delete
  8. My god I fucking love the back of that dress. Stop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also judged a number of people for their last minute, lame excuses at our wedding. If you're going to be judgemental (and who isn't), seems like a good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should totes do a change in the middle of your wedding! It's a Chinese custom to change at least once... I'll give you permission to be Chinese for a day. ;)

    I can't believe our Umami Burger date didn't make it to your highlight reel. Next time I'll have to step up my game and at least take a photo or something.

    Good luck with everything -- the wedding, the PT, and house hunting (but don't go too far from Oakland!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A photo would have helped--all I can remember from this summer is what is documented in photos. It's been a blur! That meal deserves at least 2 blog paragraphs!

      Delete
  11. Great to have an update for you! You look great in every picture you take. Part of the reason I don't post many pictures of me is because I generally look like crap. You don't have that problem. Hopefully, I'll see you at one of the races you don't no-show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a team of workers who scan for all crap pictures, and then they photoshop the good ones, and then I post them, but first I add a little more photoshop, and then I photoshop a little ugly back on to make it seem real.

      Delete
  12. i totally wish I could be there!! I now am feeling slightly guilty for not being able to make it, but while I like to imagine baby mac and i would have been cray cray on the dance floor, in all reality my six week old baby and I would have been hiding in a corner, trying not to let him cry during the ceremony and then me constantly breastfeeding trying to make him fall asleep while everyone else is having so much fun. i can't wait to see pictures and remember i still love you and will forever be a faithful follower of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could be there too, but please don't feel guilty! It's just bad timing. Jonathan's sister is in the exact same situation (but in Alabama) and won't be making it. Crying and breastfeeding are definitely welcome at my wedding. whaaaat?

      I still love you too, I will see you and the new babe soon :)

      Delete
  13. It's great to have an update! I did a Bay Area race this weekend and it reminded me that I hadn't had some awesome RoseRunner wryness in my life lately. The runner-up dress is amazing! I love the detailing on the back, and if that's the runner up, I'm looking forward to seeing the winner.

    I've lived in Oakland for almost five years now, with my partner for about two. He and I have been having the same struggle with Oakland, and feeling like it's time to establish our lives somewhere else. Between the cost of real estate, the lack of space you get for your money, and getting mugged, any appeal Oakland had is just drifting away for us.

    I hope the hip flexor continues to improve and your leg lock gets worked out! And if the wedding party happens before the next post, have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Run for the seals!? Just checked on your blog. never heard of it. Looks hilly and really, beautifully fun!

      Heck, if you live in Oakland WHY haven't we run around the lake together yet?? We can karate chop the muggers.

      Delete
  14. You're right. Those two-a-day oatmeal and weight lifting posts are totally the jam, much better than your sporadic method.

    In case you didn't catch my sarcasm, I still totally look forward to your posts...as I'm sure most of your readers do. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our house is for sale. Built-in track for speed workouts and a heated pool ;-) I hope all of your mobility issues are resolved soon so that you may run comfortably and fast :)

    I am so excited for this weekend...mostly because I HAVE A BABYSITTER AND WILL NOT HAVE TO SPEND THE AFTERNOON/EVENING WITH MY KIDS! Is that horrible? I would move mountains to be at your wedding :)

    I thought it was a given that leading up to one's wedding is stressful and laden with garbage food. I had a zit the size of China on my chin when I got married. Thank GOD for those professional make-up ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have the best time this weekend, let loose, kid free! Thank you for making it work :) Hoping any last minute pimples are more like Rhode Island size

      Delete
  16. Oh lady, I'm glad to hear from you. "Hear" as in "I'm a creepy blogger stalker". *sigh*

    Weddings (no matter how "small" or "informal" (I like quoting today) have a way of sucking up tons of time and energy. And noting how people just randomly can't make it or *mumblemumble* are busy, really is annoying and makes you want to junk punch people. You can't make it? WTF? People are so stupid, I chalk most responses up to that. STUPIDITY.

    Running can take a back seat, and meanwhile when your insurance kicks in, rehab the shit out of yourself. And you can you know "RUN" a half, and not race. But then again, I'm the girl who has been known to run a race for FUN, and then PR it, so who the heck am I to say that?

    Also ALSO, I second, third and FOURTH your nom for Janae to be the next Bachelorette, that would be awesome. Anyone would be lucky enough to snag that chick if even for a paltry date. Can you imagine the rose ceremonies? AMAZINGGGG.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes you should start a regular rehab program with a professional physical therapist. It can help you to maintain weight and improve your running performance. back and neck pain bergen county

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Meanwhile, other local friends have given the....shittiest excuses ever for not being able to come. I'm a fairly drama free person, but these reasons for not being able to make it are fairly insulting and it's hard not to take it personally."

    Maybe you need to remind those friends that your wedding is the most IMPORTANT THING EVER. Or, alternatively, get over yourself. Geeze, it's one stupid day. ONE DAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey hey hey. We have dozens of friends and family who are not coming, and I am understanding of that. I am referring to a very small number of situations (ok, two) where people who are close to me are able to come but are choosing not to. I don't care if it was a wedding, a superbowl party, or a happy hour date, it hurts my feelings for a friend to turn down an invitation. I want to see their faces, so it sucks!

      I have never suggested that this event is the most important thing ever. But still, it is the only party I will probably ever throw, and the only time that the people who matter most to me will all be in one place. Who wouldn't be bummed that some of those people who matter most don't want to be there?


      Delete
    2. I've never had my feelings hurt by somebody turning down an invitation. People have stuff to do.

      Delete
    3. But this is predicated by the somebodies not having stuff to do. Maybe instead of "shitty excuse" I should have written "no excuse."

      Hypothetical #1: local good friend of 17 years sadly cannot make it because she is going to a wedding 2 weeks later, and she is in that wedding. That would be too many busy Saturdays.

      Hypothetical #2: local friend sadly cannot make it because she prefers to book a babysitter only once a day, and she already has a babysitter for her morning fitness class.

      If neither of these would hurt your feelings, then I think this conversation just ends with us having different feeling meters. No big deal.

      That said, with 1 day to go I am nothing but 10000% excited, and this issue that bothered me a week ago when we were counting numbers is now water under the bridge. However, when someone insults me and trivializes a labor of love--especially someone who at all times prior has been a fun and supportive person who I have exchanged pleasant emails with--I want to take the time to see what's going on or defend myself. I can't apologize for these two people hurting my feelings, but I can apologize for possibly not stating it well, or possibly I shouldn't have said anything at all.

      Delete
    4. I never insulted you. I do, however, think you were lacking some perspective by being a little too close to the day. Not uncommon. I used to work in the wedding industry and saw this all the time.

      Enjoy the day tomorrow, regardless of who is and isn't there.

      Delete
    5. (I mean, except your husband. You can be pissy if he decides to skip.)

      Delete
  20. I can totally relate to this. I have no idea why some people think a wedding is nothing. I personally waited (I'm 33 and the fiance is 38) to get married and some of the excuses I've heard from people are absolutely mind boggling. Their kid's soccer game? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I say F-U to people and their stupid excuses... I know that this was now months ago, and you have probably moved on, but it makes me angry!! Especially for something as important as that.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!