Monday, October 28, 2013

luna de miel

Oh right, blogging!

Let me spit some material out because I'm about to ditch the internet for a pritttttty long time to jet off on a honeymoon to Peru.  (I'll probably post amazing braggy pictures on Facebook and Twitter, so not a complete ditch.)

Honeymoon.  It now appears as though my honeymoon "recap" will be up before our wedding "recap" because our photographer is holding our photos hostage.

Seriously, help? Our photographer was Tom Tomkinson.  He was lovely in person.  Our contract said we would get our photos in 4-6 weeks.  It will be 10 weeks this next weekend.  At the 6 week mark, I said, "dude?"  And he replied "soooo busy, sooo sorry, just a few more weeks."  At the 8 week mark, I said "DUDE?" and left a voicemail with "BRO!?"

He hasn't replied.  That was 10 days ago.  He possibly fled the country with our photos after realizing how valuable they are.  This face is worth millions.



Mr. Tomkinson lives in Berkeley, and the world is small, so if any of y'all know the fellow please kick him in the butt for me and tell him we want our photos.  Or if anyone knows that he is a scammer, that would be valuable to hear so I can start stalking his home.  It would be really nice to wrap that expensive part of our wedding up before we leave the country for a long period of time.

Speaking of photographs.  We gained ownership of a "nice" camera, which means you finally can look at beautiful food on my blog! That's why you read blogs right? Supply and demand.  I assume everybody is obsessed with looking at photos of food since those blogs are the ones that make $$$.



Please gaze longingly at the glistening kielbasa, the al dente lemon pepper pasta, the sticky remote, the weathered couch.

The guy I live with made chicken pot pie from scratch and he was excited about making it.  Who does that?  You want the recipe? I warn it is real-people food.  Butter and white flour.  If you can handle that, message me.

Okay now let's backpedal a second and discuss the honeymoon some more.

We will be exploring Lima, Iquitos (amazon), Puno (Lake Titicaca), Cusco, Machu Picchu, my mind cannot contain the excitement.  Rain or shine, we are spending more than half of our nights in a tent or hut.  This is no spa retreat honeymoon.  I'm practicing my mosquito fighting skills for the amazon and asking my lung capacity to expand in preparation for the high elevation.

Besides all this gloating, it is important for me to share that I will be taking a much needed break from running during this long vacation.  I'm specifically being vague as to the start and end date of our trip so you don't break into my apartment and steal our valuables, which consists of laundry and ikea furniture.

It will be a long break from running.  Probably the longest break I have taken since I started running regularly at age 17. I know it is crazy I have never taken more than 2-ish weeks off running, but I've never had a serious running injury that forced me to completely stop running for very long.

Or maybe I do have a serious injury?  I have continued to meet with a doctor for ART and evaluation of my leg-locked left leg (the "LLLL") over the past few weeks, and then I stopped.  I kept getting different stories each visit (your fast-twitch fibers aren't working.  Your pelvis is in the wrong place.  You need to foam roll a lot.  Do plyometrics.  Balance more.)  But these quick 20 minute appointments left a lot to be learned.  Like -- WHAT THE **** IS CAUSING MY LEG TO LOCK UP WHEN I TRY TO RUN FAST?

I need answers.  I wasn't getting any.  I was getting some release, in the form of intense pain during the ART, and some general chatter about all the fascia and tightness in my leg.  But those are the result of something wrong not the thing that is wrong itself. The tightness comes right back the second I try to run.  Something bigger is wrong.  Like my pelvis is out of place.  Like my leg permanently adapted around some long neglected injury.  Are either of those a thing? How do you fix it?

Long story short: I'm taking a long-ass break from running, and upon my return, I will scope out a new physical therapy situation.

Looking to the future--I will be returning from the honeymoon looking square into the eyes of a half-marathon that I am signed up for, and CIM.  I will very likely run neither.  I am sad to say I just don't see a month+ long taper being the way to run CIM.  Maybe I'll run 20 miles for the atmosphere and then drop out and cheer everyone else on.

*******

I ran the Livermore Grape Stomp half-marathon 2 weekends ago.  I jumped in because I had a coupon for placing in a different race last year, and this was the only race I could use it on before it expired.

I took it easy enough since I showed up with just a pinch of motivation. It was the right race to run "for fun" because ummm.....everybody (at least near the front of the group) got lost.  Multiple times.

The race was severely lacking in vital volunteers.  There were a number of forks in the road without volunteers, and the lead runners kept picking the wrong way.  Whoops, turn around.  The race directors did try to notify which fork to take by putting up cones and arrows, but still it was confusing as hell.  There was one cone that said "Stay Left!", but what it SHOULD have said was, "Sharp hairpin turn around this cone!"  Those are very different.

I ended up running over 13.5 miles (in 1:32:27) because of the unknown course, and according to the race website results placed first for women.  That is just as confusing as everything else about the race since I swear I saw another woman ahead of me.  Regardless, I won ANOTHER coupon, so I will probably be racing this one next year.

I wasn't running late for once, so I slowly picked up my bib and schwag before the start
I warmed up for about a mile by running back and forth between the finish line and the "13 mile" mark, and consistently the distance between the two one-way was 0.22 miles.  I'll never understand why so many races don't set up the last 0.1 miles as, ya know, 0.1 miles.

Umm....GUYS.  WHY is there a confederate flag behind me???  
Finish line.  Bizarre race.  That photo can officially never be used again.

(p.s. can somebody tell me when the flowers disappeared from my blog? I somehow failed to notice them disappear, but that grandma wallpaper is gone.  Gone I say! I'll pay anyone in race coupons for you to help make my blog look pretty, flowers or otherwise.)

40 comments:

  1. I was just debating with someone about whether or not being a wedding photographer is a totally overpaid or a totally shit job.

    If you do cheer on people at CIM, try to cheer me a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looovvve weddings (something about the free food and champagne) so I think wedding photographers have the sickest job in the world.

      Delete
  2. Your honeymoon sounds like an adventure! Have a great time, and I hope the whole photo thing resolves itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm glistening kielbasa...what a description! That photographer needs to get his shit together. Have fun on your honeymoon- you guys have a pretty incredible trip planned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My theory: Race directors scoot the 13 mile mark up to get people to sprint into the finish. A 0.1 mile sprint is just "eh" but a .2 mile sprint makes good spectating and good finish line shots. Because it's true, the last 0.1 in halfs is always longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your theory makes me want to smack race directors upside the head

      Delete
  5. I used to live in Lima and I'm all about offering unsolicited advice. While you're there you have to hang out in Barranco and eat at La Lucha in Parque Kennedy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have added that advice is definitely solicited! Give me all you got

      Delete
    2. Well great!! Lots of people think Lima is just a stopover, but it is seriously an amazing city, especially the neighborhood Barranco. It's very artsy and there are loads of little bars and restaurants. If you are staying in Miraflores, don't go out on Calle de los Pizzas in Parque Kennedy, it's the worst! There is a way better street just a few blocks away called Calle Berlin. Great little bars with cheap food and cheap beer! Also, while taking taxis you have to bargain for the price before getting in. They will always try to charge you more (gringa prices), but if you ask someone at your hotel before leaving, they should be able to help you out or give you an idea of what that particular ride should reasonably cost.

      Hope you have fun! Peru is such a beautiful country!!

      Delete
    3. These are great insider tips Maureen, THANK YOU! We have lotsa time in Lima (2.5 full days) and are indeed staying in Miraflores. I'm on top of these! And so very excited. Where do you live now?

      Delete
  6. I hate the variable 13-mile marker. One-tenth of a mile is one-tenth of a mile. It is an objective, measurable thing! So much aggravation over that.

    Have fun on your honeymoon! It sounds like it will be awesome, although I hope you don't contract some kind of mosquito-borne nonsense while hanging out in the Amazon. P.S. WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER, DO BETTER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mosquito-borne nonsense has replaced bears as my #1 vacation fear. We are full of vaccines now (yellow fever, malaria, etcccc) which is pretty gross and scary, but hopefully they work.

      Delete
  7. I went to Peru last May. Loved Lima, Cusco and Macchu Picchu (obviously). Hated puno...but lake Titikaka was pretty coo, especially Tequile Island, if you get to spend some time there. The floating islands they have there are pretty amazing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that Puno is a downer, so hopefully my low expectations will help me kinda like it there. We will be spending a lot of time on the water and islands. I'll bring a good book for the Puno city days....

      Delete
  8. That chicken pot pie looks awesome (I would love the recipe). It is really hard to make food look edible in photos; you and/or the new camera nailed it!

    And you may not have your wedding photos yet, but that confederate flag pic is *priceless*. Enjoy the honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there any chance that is NOT a confederate flag? It's just....too odd. Somebody new it would be in this frame.

      I'll try and remember to post the recipe, give me a nudge if I forget!

      Delete
    2. Also interested. That pot pie looks fantastic.

      Delete
  9. You should've hired the best race photographer you could find to shoot your wedding. Pix might have come in faster that way. And speaking of race photos, WTF Confederate flag??

    That sounds like a great honeymoon! Bring ibuprofen or something stronger for altitude! I spent half of mine in various rustic cabins along a trail in New Zealand. It was cold and rainy but these were some pretty swank cabins (running water from a tank! bottled gas for cooking!) and since it was NZ winter there was no one else on the trail. Best trek ever.

    And yes, I would love that chicken pot pie recipe. For serious. So I can do more experiments in the kitchen (or that guy I live with can hone his cooking skills). You can just post it here and I'll drive up your pageviews by searching for 'chicken pot pie roserunner'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant. Everybody knows race photographers are pros at making you look beautiful HARHARHAR.

      New Zealand sounds dreamy. My goodness. I really hope I make it there sometime. One of my favorite memories in the whole world was hiking in the Grand Canyon in the middle of December -- we saw maybe 2 other tourists the entire morning. The cool temps is worth the tradeoff for sure.

      CHICKEN POT PIE ROSERUNNER. new blog name.

      Delete
  10. Ha. I ran the infamous Grape Stomp several years ago and the same thing happened. For me, I was on course for a pr when I got lost and ended up completely off the course due to inadequate markings and course monitors. Clearly the race organizers still don't have their act together!

    Have a great honeymoon! I found that TUMs are good to bring when you are up at altitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! I've corresponded with the race director and she's very...accusatory. I can see her being like "it's your fault for getting lost, get outta my race I don't care."

      Another highlight of the race was that a bunch of cars were parked on the race course because nobody put up "no parking" signs in the dirt lot where the course went. Smart people.

      Delete
  11. Please, please, I must strongly implore, beg, plead... don't start posting pictures of food. I purposefully avoid all food-picture heavy blogs because... IT IS BORING!
    There!
    I said it. Now the interweb will strike me dead for being un-american or something.
    (nice camera. though!)
    Oh, and It took 3 months for my daughter's wedding pictures to come back - even though they said 4-6 weeks. Totally worth it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 months! That makes me feel a lot better. for real. I thought 10 weeks was abnormal because everyone in the world seems to have wed after us, but then posted their wedding photos before us. I'm just nervous because I'm approaching 2 weeks without any response to multiple emails or phone calls......maybe he was kidnapped. that's the only acceptable excuse.

      Back to food: don't you worry your little head. I'm typically way too busy eating the food to stop and think about photographing it.

      Delete
  12. Running blog readers only groove on pics of food in which the food looks like shit. DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING???? That said, I want the pot pie recipe but will destroy it by making it gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and potato-free. Cuz that's how I roll.

    My husband was drooling over one of the photographer's cameras and lens so I don't think they were scamming. She seemed way legit.

    As to the injury situation...those are totally a thing. It plagues me, too, but manifests in slightly different ways. I'll let you know if I find anything out and you let me know. I do know that my issue is NOT related to my arthritis. I hope this break helps you heal...if that's what's needed :) Maybe when you get back, we'll both be able to run pain-free :)

    Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew who the "she" back-up photographer was. I'd hunt her down too.

      Delete
  13. The honeymoon in Peru sounds awesome! Make sure you see if you need any vaccinations or shots or anything - not sure about that. Also, not sure if you need to apply for a VISA ahead of time.

    Photographer not wanting to cough up your pictures? Sounds shady indeed. Hope you get those soon.

    Bummer on the mismarked course, and what is up with that confederate flag?!? We are in CA last time I checked, not Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we're all vaccinated! and what not. Ready to go.

      Delete
  14. Hey I found your roses.... If I keep scrolling down the page they reappear. I hope you have a wonderful and safe honeymoon. Sounds like quite an adventure. I also hope that you are finally able to get down to the bottom of what's making your leg act "weird". I'll try to run a few extra miles for you.
    I don't know if you have checked out my little blog lately. But, I finally ran that killer half marathon. Check out my race report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the race report! Thanks for directing me over there, I follow you on inoreader.com but have been wayyyy behind

      Delete
  15. As someone who is also planning a an exotic and probably buggy holiday (Borneo - joint 50th birthday trip) and is none too fond of bugs, may I share some of my packing list with you?
    - DEET, DEET and more DEET. In addition to sprays, I like to have these little individually wrapped DEET-filled wet wipes, since you can keep one in your purse for moments when you're not expecting major bugs and then they show up.
    - Bug shirt or bug jacket; possibly even a bug hat. Even if you only need to use it once, you'll be glad you had it - and they're lightweight.
    - Ex Officio Bugs-away tshirts (short or long sleeves) and bandanas (for around your neck).
    - Unlike me, you probably won't need leech socks (not socks made of leeches; socks to stop leeches from climbing up your pant legs)
    - Anti-histamine tablets (reduces itch and swelling if you get bitten)
    - Strong cortisone cream (ditto)
    - Silica packets to stash with your fancy new camera - they absorb moisture and reduce the risk of humidity damaging your camera
    - Poncho - covers you, your daypack, your camera etc and doubles as something to sit on

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are quality tips! Thank you so much.

      bugssss. We've got 100% deet in cream and spray form, but no wipes, and none of this good bug gear. We saw some at REI last week and weren't sure, it sounds like we might regret that! and leeches. wow. shudder.

      Delete
  16. BLARGH, what happened to my comment?
    Anyway, I said something witty about hoping you have a good honeymoon and that we should get together for reals when you get back. Then I made a bad pun substituting PHO for FOR, as in PHO REALS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pho sure! Sorrry your comment was swallowed.

      Delete
  17. Have you seen a chiro? I have similar sounding issues with my piriformis because my hips and pelvis are out of alignment, and no amount of PT/ART/whatever will fix the problem if you're still misaligned. Innersport in Berkeley is supposed to be amazing. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to a chiro regularly! I go to inner sport in Walnut Creek. I still feel very misaligned. :(

      Delete
  18. I just got back from my honeymoon in Peru, yesterday! I knew I liked this blog for a reason. We spent about 2 days in Lima and stayed in Mireflores, and I thought it was a really cool city and was surprised people say it's not worth it. Gorgeous buildings and has a great bustle to it. We hiked the Inca Trail with Condor Travel, and loved it. Turns out, despite the fact that November is the start of the raining season according to all the guidebooks, it can still rain heavily in mid October. Make sure you back a spare set of warm clothes and have water proof pants. Literally, 20 minutes after I broke down and put them on after 5 hours of rain, the sun came out. So, if anything- it's a good luck charm. We ended our trip on the beach in Punta Sal (northern coast, about 10 miles South of Ecuador,) which I totally needed. The Inca Trail is quite the hike, so don't feel too badly about taking off from running. I ended up doing some casual running at the beach, but between the hike and having to squat to pee every single time, your legs will appreciate the break. Have so much fun! I LOVED PERU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing!! I wish my trip mirrored yours a little more. It kind of didn't go well....I'll blog about it eventually no doubt.

      p.s. never squat to pee again -- buy a freshette! I love mine

      Delete
  19. Hmmm, I have been thinking of doing Grape Stomp the past couple years, but something always falls on the date so I don't do it. If they're so freaking disorganized then maybe I'll take it off my list. I just want to run through the damn vineyards. and that does look like a confederate flag.... blah.

    if you do go cheer CIM, be loud so I can spot you. I'll be the slow girl in rabbit ears trying to survive ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skip grape stomp, and I'll cheer for you at CIM! keep my eyes out for rabbit ears

      Delete
  20. It has been interesting to read your posts in reverse... It's like I can tell the future!! But this post makes me sad because I know how your trip goes... But what an experience! Am I right? No? Also, I feel like a shitty friend, because I did not know that your physical problems had made it so bad that you couldn't run... I know that you are running again now, but I didn't realize that you were going through this crappy time and that makes me feel shitty!! I'm being selfish all right??!! By the way, I feel like my comments are consistently getting crazier and crazier... Maybe I just need to eat some lunch or something.

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!