Thursday, December 19, 2013

Honeymoon Part 3: Return From The Dead

Forging ahead!

We had just cut our honeymoon a week short due to a desire to lie (lay?) in our own beds at home for free instead of for $80/day in Peru.  This decision sadly eliminated the pinnacle of our honeymoon -- a 4 day Inca trail hike to Machu Picchu.  I have spent a lot of time since leaving Peru convincing myself that Machu Picchu is probably lame and extremely un-beautiful.  It was such a bucket list item for me...and now I will never see it.  Truth is, where I stand right now, I never want to go back to Peru.  I don't like saying that.  I truly loved the good parts.  But the feeling of being trapped there while feeling miserable is scarred into my mind and association with the country.

Once we were home, we laid low and tried to recover.  I let my work know I was home a week early and would be coming in the following Monday.  My boss replied, "why don't you try to keep the honeymoon going here? The weather has been beautiful."  It had been beautiful in California, high 60s.  I'm so thankful my boss was kind enough to suggest it.

My stomach was still going haywire, but improving.  We worked to adapt our wimpy legs to movement by taking a very slow 3 mile walk one day, and then a 7 mile walk the next day on the new walking path of the bay bridge.  I felt like a baby deer learning how to walk.  I seriously lost all my leg muscles.  Walking was still making my legs cramp!

By Monday morning we had a plan.  Instead of returning to work, we would resuscitate the last week of our honeymoon with a drive to Pinnacles National Park where we would go on a gentle hike, and if by 5:00 p.m. we were feeling ok enough that the thought of being stuck in another hotel room didn't terrify us....we would drive to Disneyland.

The thought of a hotel room still did terrify me.  I felt I had just moved mountains to try and get home to my own bed from thoudands of miles away.  But the temptation of Disneyland slightly outweighed my wimpy-ness.  Our plan went through!

Pinnacles National Park is a northern California park that recently made the leap over from State Park status (thanks Obama!).  It is notorious for its caves.  We have been wanting to go all year.

Before we left on our honeyoon, Corina from surfdome.com offered to send me any item from the surfdome website.  The site (which is based in London) is a retailer with a focus on sports and outdoors -- kind of like REI mixed with Sports Basement.  I hemmed and hawed between a sports bra and running shorts -- two things I always need more of -- before striking genius.  We needed a new hiking backpack for our energetic itinerary in Peru!

I browsed the backpacks carefully and picked this one.



My main criteria were large mesh side pocket for water bottle (I'm not into the water pouch/ camel back hydration); roomy enough for toiletries, food, and a change of clothes; hidey hole pockets for things like keys and wallets; and comfortable padded straps.  I picked a good one.  It is "mens" but the Gentleman and I have already split usage of it.  Tons of other luggage and backpack options that I was browsing can be found here.

We obviously didn't get to use the backpack in Machu Picchu, but we put it to use at Pinnacles.  We are hike-oholics with the Bay Area offerings, so this was a desperately needed item and will be used to death.  Thankful to Surfdome and please check their site out for last minute Christmas gifts (if you are in the UK it will get to you as long as you purchase by 3:00 p.m. on Monday!) and for anything you don't get for Christmas.  The selection is neverending.  And hiking is good for the soul.


Quiet: the red-shirted species of backpack model hikes all the way from the parking lot to the trailhead.



Work it.

The hike was a breath of fresh air.  Energizing and beautiful, and every part of me was happy to be aerobic again.

Also loving these hiking pants I bought at REI before we left for Peru.
It was a monday or tuesday (can't....remember) so the park was empty which is exactly how I like my national parks.  We only ran into one couple, and they were amusingly obsessed with trying to share our respective hike routes.  We were basically hiking the same loop in reverse.  It was an exciting conversation.




Man, whenever we hike the Gentleman always ends up 5-10 yards ahead of me and it kills me. I imagine people who pass us are like, are they in a fight, or....?  It's just the way we hike.  Not a ton of hand-holding, although that does happen too.




What's more beautiful I ask -- my sideburn look, or the Pinnacles rocks?

This little tunnel below provided the Gentleman with the opportunity to show off his yoga-mocking skills.  I could mock yoga all day.  It's okay I'm sure yogis make fun of runners all the time too.



This position is called the stupid starfish.



And this is brave downward dog; brave because it breaks all the rules by doing downward dog differently.

This day hike was clearly no Machu Picchu but it was still fantastic.  In addition to reviving my legs, I was able to work out my arm muscles a little bit too.  Below.  It was hard work but I only held the rock up for 4 hours.



The piece de resistance was the caves.  I'm not going to lie, it was way scarier than I thought it would be.  You literally NEED to bring a flashlight because it is pitch pitch PITCH black during parts where you are climbing down steep crevices.  All I could think about was James Franco getting stuck by a rock and sawing his arm off.  Poor James Franco :(




Climbing down into a cave

This is what it looked like inside.  Now you know what flashlight on black looks like. 
I had my new favorite snack in the world during this hike.  It will be featured in my next post.

After something like 8 miles of hiking we packed it up and drove to Anaheim, arriving at 10:30 p.m.  The week before Thanksgiving is a great time to go to Disneyland -- hotels were cheap, vacant, and the park was all decked out for Christmas but not crowded at all.

We all know what Disneyland looks like and we all love it (does anyone dislike it? I'd really like to know) so I'll spare you the details and just show you photos of yours truly.  We spent two full days park hopping and man, Disneyland is simply such an easy trip.  Traveling the world may be worth the effort, to learn and explore all the sites and smells different countries and cultures have to offer but....it is also extremely nice to sit back and have constant entertainment come at you.  Like I said, a very easy trip.



I don't understand the physics of the face the Gentleman is making in Splash Mountain.  I LOL for days every time I look at it.


This was a highlight.  The new "Cars" ride in California Land will blow your mind. 


That's just how we ride roller-coasters; while gazing into each other's eyes


The Gentleman says he was doing a "hurrah" fist pump but I think he was fixing to punch me in the skull.  So not cool man, look how cute and happy I look right before being punched.

If you didn't already know, the Disneyland bakery/candy stores have the best best BEST items in the world.  I could write a whole post on all the goodies I ate while in Disneyland.  Truthfully my stomach was still adjusting after the Peru bug and one of the only things I was craving and tolerating was straight up sugar.  I ate two of these caramel-and-chocolate covered marshmallow sticks (the one below had cashews in it too); an enormous "apple pie" flavored caramel apple; a hunk of toffee covered in chocolate; an ice cream cone filled with marshmallow and covered in white chocolate....ok this is gross.  Sorry.  But please understand I WAS SICK and also at Disneyland.  Treat yo-self.



I intended to end this post with a recap of my return to running, but this is just too long and too many pictures.  I'm starting to run from the very bottom (as in, 3 painful and slow miles) and it's a struggle but that's what happens to your body after a month off of running and a full week off of moving any muscles.   If any one else is starting from square one, let's do it together and whip into running shape!

Happy holidays for now!

15 comments:

  1. I'm starting off running, too, but I think I might be at square 1.2. I've been rehabbing for a month or two already.
    You two... fun though you appear, see if I ever invite you on vacation with us. You're just straight up bad luck. Glad you were able to rescue the rest of your honeymoon though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly sorry about your horrible honeymoon experience but glad you made the best of it and glad you have been able to start running again! Say goodbye to that thigh gap! ;)

    P.S. My toddler saw the photo of you hiking and said, "Mommy up a hill!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to internet stalk your race results from CIM. I figured you must have been really sick to not have ran it.

    I caught norovirus a few years ago on New Year's Eve. It was so quick and sudden and it wiped me and my husband out for close to 10 days. I never felt so weak and my body ate itself for fuel.

    Glad to hear that you are running again. I also know what it's like to start from scratch. The first few runs were so painful but, that runners high was the best!!!

    I hope by giving your body a whole month off that your goofy leg lock thing was able to repair itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Pinnacles is one of my very favorite places to hike! It's so beautiful!
    I'm definitely starting from scratch with my running and fitness. I haven't been this out of shape in a long time. Blargh. I have more chocolate than motivation right now. 'Tis the season. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you were able to have SOMETHING go right on your disaster of a honeymoon -- congratulations on holding up a rock!! (Loved the pictures.) That was a very good decision to stay away from work, because hey, you saw awesome caves and went to Disneyland. Much better than going to work.

    I'm also having to rehab due to a wonky leg (IT band) that I tried to run through since mid-October. Three miles feel like forever for me, too. But I guess that's just how it goes sometimes. Welcome back to running!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your photos and captions made me LOL. Glad you were able to salvage the last part of your honeymoon! Also, good to run with you two today. :) Good luck building back up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. REALLY interested in the Pinnacles trip. We nearly hiked there with our 4 year old this summer and someone warned me that it was too much for the Dude. Looking at your cave photos, we made the right decision...phew!

    I hate to be a downer but I hate Disneyland. Primarily because I don't like roller coasters, but also because I think theme parks are fake places, if that makes sense. And I'm not a big fan of Disney per se. I do realise I'm in the minority. However due to the aforementioned 4 year old, I am starting to suspect that a trip to Carsland is in my future in 2014. The baked goods sound like I might have a good time after all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you are feeling better after that disaster of a trip. I have to say, though, I'm not sure Disneyland would make ME feel much better! The last time I went to Disney World was something like 13 years ago and I was miserable the entire time. Part of that was due to the fact that I was on my honeymoon with my horrible ex-husband and I was already feeling the misery of having made a huge mistake, but part of it was being surrounded by thousands of sugar-crazed children and their oblivious parents. I don't know, maybe I'd like it more now?

    Anyways, I hope you have a great Christmas and that you are finally getting back to your former running-superstar self.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm kinda enjoying my staycation this Xmas-New Year hols; sometimes these are the best hols. Hope you had a wonderful Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Disneyland. That is my favorite part of your honeymoon. Someday I want to go to Disneyland withOUT my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed reading your honeymoon recap. Well... most of it. One thing is now cemented in my mind. I will never travel to Peru! Not that I have ever wanted to. Cruise Ships and Europe are more my style!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots of the Pinnacles & showing how a body can fit into tiiiiiiiiiiny cracks in the rocks! Looks like y'all had fun at Disneyland & California Adventure. I do like Disney's coffee shoe & the corn dog stand. *cheers* to you in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never been to the Pinnacles before, though I have heard quite a bit about them. I'll have to convince the husband to do a day trip out that way. But what a great way to spend the rest of your honeymoon. returning to health, hiking and Disneyland. I haven't been to Disneyland in YEARs and it was meh. Crowded. Insane. Lines everywhere. You went at the right time :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so jealous of your Disneyland trip!!! I totally agree, I don't know how anyone could not like it.

    You said you were going to mention your new favorite snack in the next blog post, but I didn't see it?? Oh wait, was it the wasabi almonds?? Inquiring minds want to know...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's sure to be fabulous! I wish I could visit;-)
    Wedding Flowers

    ReplyDelete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!