Thursday, February 13, 2014

Piece of Me

I have a few exciting things to recap from this past week!

First, we finally cashed in on the Gentleman's birthday gift to me from over a month ago -- tickets to see Britney in Las Vegas!  He had hinted to me that the gift was "big" and that it was something I had verbally oscillated between super wanting to do it versus thinking would be super lame.  That about sums up my feelings on Britney.

I've been a Britney fan for half my life, but absurdly never seen her live.  I know, I missed my chance to see her perform back when she could really "perform" or "dance" or "exist without medications."  We all know she could never sing, so that part remained steady.  I'm hard on her, but I love her all the same.

Dressed all wrong for a Britney show in flat shoes and no sparkles

We left last Friday afternoon and stayed through Sunday.  Unlike my last visit to Las Vegas, which was on the tail end of a serene adventure to Zion National Park (transition from zen to SMOKE, LOUD, MARGARITAS), I was in the right state of mind (transition from work to FUN).

Has anyone else seen her show? I'm curious what y'all thought.  I certainly had a great time simply because of the pre-recorded soundtrack (love her songs), but the 80 bachelorette party girls in the seats around me were all dancing harder than Britney.  Come on girl! Just try! TRY! Just a little, please please please.  I know that performer is somewhere in there.

At her Vegas show.  She was sporting a brunette hairdo when I saw her
Britney 2000, the perfect time for a 16 year old like me to fall in love
Second, I fit in a speed workout this week, and it was confusingly successful.  10 x 400 repeats at the track.  I attribute the fact that this is my fastest 400 session since high school track--despite having done practically no speed work in the past 4 months--to one of the following:

a) iron intake;
b) bridge exercises strengthening my glutes;
c) planks strengthening my core (I twittered my core schedule - plank every other day, successively longer, I'm now at 2:50 minutes!);
d) only running 40 miles last week (1/2 marathon recovery + Las Vegas = less miles)

And the 400 repeat numbers:

78, 79, 81, 80, 80, 80, 78, 79, 82, 81

I love 400s and 800s because I have no left leg pain when I do them.

Third, barring something absolutely crazy, we are less than 20 hours from officially closing on a home...omg, so excited.  I really am an adult now.  I buy houses.  With my own hard saved money.  Well house, singular, I'm not rolling that deep. 

Given the insane bay area market, I think we did well and got very lucky with this home.  If all goes well, I'll be running the shit out of the canal trail and Shell Ridge Open Space when I move to the east-east bay.  Bye bye Oakland!

Fourth, let's devote a brief discussion here to the greatest. disaster. ever. to ruin the Bachelor franchise.

Juan Pablo.

Shut up

I know I'm not alone.  I know I'm not the only person who usually tries to bust out of work by 7:30 on Mondays so they can make it to their date with the couch for the Bachelor--but for Juan Pablo, can barely stomach 10 minutes before tuning out.

Ohhhhhhhh Juan Pablo.  Let's start with this article.

To quote:
Juan Pablo is an attention seeker. He’s always “on”—in the interviews with producers and on dates with women—which puts the focus on him. Even his compliments are a chance for Juan Pablo to show just how charming he can be. “Woooooooooow. Look at youuuuuu in your dreeeeeeeess,” is really “Does everyone remember that dress that I got her?” 
He’s also paternalistic, refusing to kiss Renee because she has a son. But the courtesy doesn’t extend to non-mothers which means he’s either lying or he's honest and the “winner” will end up with a man harboring a serious Madonna-whore complex. And in the interest of brevity: he’s corny, sloppy, chauvinistic, homophobic, manipulative, creepy, rude, boring, and not as attractive as ABC tries to convince me he is.
I am totally repulsed by the way he talks to each girl, like they are children, and with total disregard to what they are feeling, instead demanding them not to cry right after shaming them (Clare), and also demanding them to "loook at me, loook at me."  Ugh. From the very first episode, I got the shuddery feeling from JP that he had no criteria for the woman he was looking to fall in love with and just was tickled by the idea of 25 women for him.  Not that doing the Bachelor "just for fun" is a bad thing, I'm fine with that, but YUCK.

That said, I'm loving the extremely awkward yet gorgeous Sharlene.

Freakishly beautiful
Time for you to dish on Britney, track workouts, home buying, or the Bachelor!

28 comments:

  1. Not through the tunnelllllllllllll.... wait, what am I complaining about, it'll make you closer to me actually :)

    I think you could probably attribute your track awesomeness to ALL OF THE ABOVE.

    And Britney...all I really know about her is that we have kids about the same age and she had a hard time figuring out the whole marriage thing. Oh, and she was a Mouseketeer!

    The Bachelor is on after my bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we will be closer! You can watch the bachelor on Hulu if you are bored enough

      Delete
  2. > Time for you to dish on Britney, track workouts, home buying, or the Bachelor!

    Sucks, great, sucks, sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. Home buying is more of a great/sucks, since living in my apartment sucks/sucks

      Delete
  3. I have made it known to certain people in my life that the only way I will ever go back to Vegas is if I can see the Britney Spears show. I fucking hate Vegas but I looooove Britney Spears, especially post-breakdown Britney. I can't help but root for her!

    Good luck with the closing on the house! I've bought two pieces of property in my adult life - omg so grown up! - and the main thing I remember from both experiences is that my hand hurt like hell afterwards because I had to sign my name so many times.

    I don't watch the Bachelor but I've heard this guy is the tool to end all tools. He'll probably get a billion girls after this show is done, which gives me a huge sad because he seems like a total skeezix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so tickled to learn you are a Britney fan. Yay! If you ever get to go, bring binoculars since she doesn't have any big screens up of her performance. She's hard to see unless you have great seats!

      All of the signing -- except for the loan-- is electronic these days, or maybe our agent is just extra tech savvy. Saving hands, one home purchase at a time!

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I can't stop watching because it's such a train wreck (although I'm a week behind - no cable = waiting for free episodes on Hulu). I LOVE Charlene - she's so awkward, but she seems the most grounded. That being said, I don't want her to win because she deserves better. Clare and JP are a perfectly matched for one another, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES - Charlene, save yourself. Clare or some other shallow girl out for fame will be his perfect match

      Delete
  5. I had to stop watching Bachelor after like 5 minutes, because all I could muster was a 'not impressed' face (Mckayla Maroney would have been proud). If I am going to waste my time watching trashy TV while riding my bike trainer, I'd prefer it be something entertaining and not Juan Pablo. I didn't even like him when he was on bachelorette (then again, I think Desiree was one of worst bachelorettes as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like him (or Desiree) in Desiree's season either. So many better choices. Brooks. That army guy who left early. Desiree's mentally challenged brother.

      Oh who am I kidding, I'll watch at least a few episodes no matter who is in charge of the roses

      Delete
  6. I agree that Juan Pablo is YUCK. I don't find him attractive and I find his interactions with the women bizarre. Somehow he lucked out becuase some of those women seem really smart and "with it" (definitely don't like them all) like Sharlene! I like Andie and Renee too. I can't stop watching it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a hard time believing any of the girls are really smart if they didn't jump ship on this douche within a few weeks. But, maybe "smart" is getting more air time for their careers, etc.

      Delete
  7. I avoid watching the Bachelor like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then watch Burning Love. It is on Yahoo.com and E! It is 100000% more wonderful than the Bachelor

      Delete
  8. Wow what an exciting week. I would love to go to Brittany. If only I could dance like her ha. Nice work on the speed work, I'm pretty sure 2014 is going to be your year. I've been working my core a lot so I'm hoping that translates into overall faster running. We shall see because I feel like my training isn't translating into faster running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so cute. Were you like 7 when Britney broke out? The version of her you probably know best was her "strange" years, which have continued through the present.

      Give me your core work tips! I'm just planking and doing push-ups.

      Delete
  9. BRITNEY. YES. And congrats on the house!

    Okay, look. Juan Pablo gives me the MEGA creeps. I used to think he was smokin' hot, but watching this season...oh my gosh, he squicks me out so badly. He is especially dead to me after his slut-shaming of Clare. I hope Sharlene leaves, because she is WAY too good for him, and I love that she just keeps being all, "Uh...why am I a part of this freak show?" Also, Andie, the DA, makes me want to punch myself in the face. "I put people in jail for a living!" No. Just die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, DEAD TO ME. That slut-shaming was the most sickening thing ever. Really makes me sick. Andie....haha....she is so proud of being a "hot" assistant DA. My guess is she does the paperwork for uncontested DUIs. Real glamorous

      Delete
  10. I have always liked Britney, too. I saw her in concert in high school. Would totally see her again. I liked Juan Pablo when he was a contestant, but he makes an awful Bachelor, but I somehow still watch the show religiously. Sharlene is definitely my favorite....the only "real" and normal one. Although I don't agree with how JP shamed Clare, or his hypocrite response to her in saying he's so careful about what his daughter sees and how he never kisses someone in front of her (um, she's going to be seeing a LOT of making out from this show)...Clare annoys the heck out of me, so it's hard for me to feel sorry for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was that Britney show amazing!? Back when she danced in the rain and stuff? luccckkkky

      Delete
  11. I miss Britney circa 2000 (with the snake at the VMAs). Took a jazz dance PE class in college in 2001 and our warmup all semester was set to "Boys." That's hilar yet sad that the bachelorettes went harder than she did.

    Way to go on the 400s/800s and congrats on the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snake Britney and gold bodysuit britney (photo above) are killer. That would be "Boys", featuring Justin Timerlake? She played that at her Vegas show! Even with the JT part!

      Delete
  12. oooooooooo buying in the Bay Area??? Once you have recovered, can you pretty please post about it? My man friend and I are trying to figure out if we should stay or go and right now the thought of having to shell out close to a million for a shack is pushing the go....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me an email and we can discuss! I don't think I'll post many details about the home location/price etc.

      We had to push beyond our budget comfort zone, and ended up bumping our budget up a full $100k once we realized how far our money really went out here. The best sacrifice we made was giving up on our preferred location (Walnut Creek) and looking in Concord and Pleasant Hill instead. The home we landed has way more space, inside and out, then we ever dreamed, still under budget. Commute will be longer, the assigned schools are not good quality, but the home and neighborhood are awesome.

      So email me! I want to convince you to stay. The bay area is kinda the best place in the world.

      Delete
    2. We bought in Concord about a year ago (also right by open space/canal trail) and have absolutely no regrets! WC was our preferred location as well, but we love our house and neighborhood- I'm convinced people are friendlier in Concord than in WC...

      Delete
    3. Mary I think we are about to be neighbors! Ygnacio Woods? Email me so we can hit the trail sometime and I can get your secrets about the neighborhood!

      Delete
  13. Congrats on the house and also on the 400's! I hope it works out that you can reuse our moving boxes. (For some reason, making sure my boxes are put to good use instead of instantly recycled is a big deal to me.) I also really hope we have at least a few more passing high-fives around Lake Merritt before we both say farewell (or "See ya suckers!") to Oakland.

    Ugh, JP -- WHY?!?! I kinda knew this season might be a train wreck due to JP's lack of depth and language difficulties, but I didn't think it would be this bad. My favorite women are Renee and Sharlene -- both of whom are too good for JP. I hate Clare and I hope they'll end up together. I heard that whoever he ended up with "leaked" JP's dick pic! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is a JP dick pic!??!?! Maybe it IS charlene. And she realized he is a dick. She's a smart cookie. Unless the dick pic is really nice, then she's just doing him a favor.

      Anyway, I hope the box trade works too, that would be amazing. I'll look for you for a high five this week! It is sad to say goodbye to Oakland but definitely TIME. I will miss my lake runs the most BY FAR

      Delete

we have a strict no-word-verification policy. Comment away!